I compared video lag between Wireless and OTG
2169 17 2019-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer

I was curious to see the difference between OTG and Wireless with regards to video lag.

I probably get at least 4 times the range with OTG for video, and notice with wireless it's quite laggy

Here is a difference with the range at about 20cms'

2019-10-10
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft

Nice video!
Your test setup just only shows the extra delay introduced by the Wifi network, which is already quite noticable.
Other points are:
- Video power of your mobile
- RAM/Cache available in your mobile
- Wifi retransmissions needed because of interference

On my old Samsumg Galaxy S4 mini I see some 3 to 5 seconds delay when using Wifi, less than half a second using OTG cable.

Its great DJI offered that solution...hats off to DJIs engineers!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-10-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Always use the OTG cable,  much more reliable in my opinion.
2019-10-10
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

If you record a stopwatch on a cell phone with your Spark camera and show both the original stopwatch and the Spark on this recording, you can see exactly (numerically) the difference ...
2019-10-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>

What is this for a device?
Even almost always flying with cable from the beginning, I had to get the cable first.
And "tested" in that 2 or 3 weeks some devices.
I found out that the devices  have to be strong enough, also bluetooth close buy, or wifis around, are limiting the short distance wifi from RC to device.
Your RC is in 5.8 connected to the Spark, did I see that right?
This would mean, you are using the most polluted 2.4 GHz band for the weak wifi connection to the device.
Did you switch of your router at home?
The smartwatch was in the next room, no bluetooth on, somewhere?
Pc, family, tablet, other phones ....?

For me there is no question, a cable is the ONLY thing to use the spark (any DJI drone!), if possible!
You can't control  bluetooth settings of the people surrounding you.
Even the guy next to you, flying a drone himself, but with cable, may have a bluetooth device switched on.
Because it is not affecting him!
But still a nice setup for this test. Easy and effectiv
2019-10-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for sharing this amazing video with us. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-10-10
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 10-10 06:02
If you record a stopwatch on a cell phone with your Spark camera and show both the original stopwatch and the Spark on this recording, you can see exactly (numerically) the difference ...

That’s a great idea....if i can find the motivation.  I might do that.
2019-10-10
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer

S-e-ven Posted at 10-10 06:19
What is this for a device?
Even almost always flying with cable from the beginning, I had to get the cable first.
And "tested" in that 2 or 3 weeks some devices.

It was as polluted as it gets lol.  Wifi router about 2m away, mutliple handheld devices (phones, ipads, google home..etc) all within a couple of metres also.   But the range between phone and drone was cm’s.  So yes it could have been cleaner, but all things considered I think still relevant to normal conditions.

The poster above suggested filming a stopwatch, which is an excellent idea...i might do that so we can see the real difference and maybe to it outside where there is a bit less interference.

I crashed badly a couple of weeks back due to the lag on wireless (OTG cable was broken) but otherwise I only every fly with OTG
2019-10-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

But the wifi network still just works "slot by slot" even if it is just this 5 cm connection, from RC to phone,  it is still a wifi "router", that sees "oh, traffic on my channel, I have to wait a bit, for an empty timeslot"
;-)
2019-10-10
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer

S-e-ven Posted at 10-10 17:09
But the wifi network still just works "slot by slot" even if it is just this 5 cm connection, from RC to phone,  it is still a wifi "router", that sees "oh, traffic on my channel, I have to wait a bit, for an empty timeslot"
;-)

But your bandwidth is impacted by interference if i understand correctly.
2019-10-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

2019-10-10
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

Tried OTG once and NEVER flew without it again!
2019-10-11
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer

Did another test flight yesterday.  Got to 1km before turning around.   Video image was solid.  I did note a little bit of lag, but nothing i was concerned about.   Was tempted to fly further, but didn’t...maybe next time.
2019-10-13
Use props
djiuser_VcSKkT7wNuL9
New

My spark doesn't want to accept my otg cable, i just used a basic USB c to micro USB for my phone, moto g6. I have terrible video transmission and lag. I am scared of losing this drone. please help
2019-10-13
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer

djiuser_VcSKkT7wNuL9 Posted at 10-13 14:33
My spark doesn't want to accept my otg cable, i just used a basic USB c to micro USB for my phone, moto g6. I have terrible video transmission and lag. I am scared of losing this drone. please help

I don’t know if there are any specific pin out differences, but you might be better off finding a specific OTG cable.  I know of someone else using an android phone and OTG cable is not working properly.  He’s bought a specific OTG cable which we hope will work.   Just look for “USB-C DJI OTG Cable” on ebay
2019-10-13
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft

Cookster is right. Make sure you get an "OTG" cable that goes USB Micro to whatever your phone takes. Helps if you include "Spark" in your google search.

There's one extra pin in the "OTG" end of the cable that tells the gadget on THAT end to be the master. You want your remote to be the master and the phone the slave.
2019-10-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

try an older app, 4.2.21 (apkmirror) or try another phone
A adapter plus charging cable will work as good, as a short OTG cable for drone.
So for testing it does not matter (afaik)
2019-10-14
Use props
djiuser_VcSKkT7wNuL9
New

United States

Tentoes Posted at 10-14 07:10
Cookster is right. Make sure you get an "OTG" cable that goes USB Micro to whatever your phone takes. Helps if you include "Spark" in your google search.

There's one extra pin in the "OTG" end of the cable that tells the gadget on THAT end to be the master. You want your remote to be the master and the phone the slave.

Just got my OTG cable today. It works perfectly but for some reason my spark disconnected entirely and did an emergency RTH because it lost like all connection. I live in a small town and i was on airplane mode while using it, so im not sure if i hit a bunch of interference or not. I was only like 400 ft away (with 200ft altitude)
2019-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules