Osmo Action Underwater case
3806 15 2019-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GenuineADC
lvl.1

Does anyone have a recommendation for a top quality underwater case for the Osmo Action camera?
I don't care about cost, only quality.
2019-10-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

Check out this thread.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=198500
2019-10-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. We highly recommend using DJI approved accessories for the DJI Osmo Action for us to avoid any possible issues and problems. Also, you may check the available underwater case on our store website using the link below. Should you have any inquiries or concern please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your continued support!

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-waterproof-case
2019-10-10
Use props
GenuineADC
lvl.1

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-10 08:36
Hi, thank you for reaching out. We highly recommend using DJI approved accessories for the DJI Osmo Action for us to avoid any possible issues and problems. Also, you may check the available underwater case on our store website using the link below. Should you have any inquiries or concern please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your continued support!

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-waterproof-case

Thank you for the reply and information. Does the DJI underwater case allow for the installation of a red filter lense on the camera lense inside the case? I couldn't tell from the pictures.
2019-10-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GenuineADC Posted at 10-10 14:56
Thank you for the reply and information. Does the DJI underwater case allow for the installation of a red filter lense on the camera lense inside the case? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Thank you for the additional information. I will forward this concern of yours to our designated department for further clarification. Will keep you update. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-10-12
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>

Best underwater case you can buy, supports magnetic red filter system  800 feet (250 meters)

All Aluminum and milled from solid aluminum block.

All Aluminum and milled from solid aluminum block.
FB_IMG_1571031015598.jpg
2019-10-13
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

BengalBoy Posted at 10-13 21:19
Best underwater case you can buy, supports magnetic red filter system  800 feet (250 meters)

Have you tried it UW?  I did some shallow diving this summer with water themperature around 20 Celsius and it was fogging like crazy with a typical polycarbonate case from Amazon. I even used 3 anti fog inserts... I am still to try the official case but if it also fogs, I am jumping ship as the new GoPro 8 seems to have even better stabilization. I bought the Osmo NOT to carry a rig when diving.
2019-10-14
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>

El Diabolico Posted at 10-14 09:12
Have you tried it UW?  I did some shallow diving this summer with water themperature around 20 Celsius and it was fogging like crazy with a typical polycarbonate case from Amazon. I even used 3 anti fog inserts... I am still to try the official case but if it also fogs, I am jumping ship as the new GoPro 8 seems to have even better stabilization. I bought the Osmo NOT to carry a rig when diving.

I'm a underwater photographer.  I've shot at depths of 150 feet and in extreme conditions.  This case is a professional aluminum housing just like my Nauticam rig.  One of the benefits of aluminum housing is the wicking of heat and the lack of any fog related issues like you experience with plastic housings.  This is a professiona housing for my Osmo Action.  One of the first ones made available.  I use it for shooting 4K video while shooting photos with my camera.   You can also attach this housing to a underwater selfie stick like a carbon fiber S3 floating stick by SmaTree.  I have the housing mounted on my Nauticam with a hotshoe arm.   If you don't intend to dive in serious environments, if you don't intend to go deeper than 30-60 feet,, if you don't mind packing and unpacking silica packs into the case to avoid fogging,, if you don't mind using a awkward red filter system,, if you don't want to spend as much on the housing as you did the camera.  Buy a DJI plastic housing and be happy.  But, if you are serious about your underwater photography and want the best, the highest performing and the most rugged housing you can buy,,, this is the Ticket!
IMG_20190929_110059_710.jpg
2019-10-14
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

BengalBoy Posted at 10-14 09:38
I'm a underwater photographer.  I've shot at depths of 150 feet and in extreme conditions.  This case is a professional aluminum housing just like my Nauticam rig.  One of the benefits of aluminum housing is the wicking of heat and the lack of any fog related issues like you experience with plastic housings.  This is a professiona housing for my Osmo Action.  One of the first ones made available.  I use it for shooting 4K video while shooting photos with my camera.   You can also attach this housing to a underwater selfie stick like a carbon fiber S3 floating stick by SmaTree.  I have the housing mounted on my Nauticam with a hotshoe arm.   If you don't intend to dive in serious environments, if you don't intend to go deeper than 30-60 feet,, if you don't mind packing and unpacking silica packs into the case to avoid fogging,, if you don't mind using a awkward red filter system,, if you don't want to spend as much on the housing as you did the camera.  Buy a DJI plastic housing and be happy.  But, if you are serious about your underwater photography and want the best, the highest performing and the most rugged housing you can buy,,, this is the Ticket!

Appreciate the feedback. i am a Divemaster and I do go deep if there's anything worth seeing.
I've used several camera models (started with a Canon HF20 and a WP-V1 UW case for videos and a Nikonos IV for stills back in 2002) and I've used different  case manufacturers in the last 20 Years (Nauticam, Ikelite) but honestly, I am done with carrying heavy and expensive rigs and strobe lights all over the globe. Obviously I know I will not get the same quality video from a little Action Cam but the size difference IMO outweighs the loss in quality (been using GoPro for the last 10 years or so).

What you've mentioned about aluminum cases not fogging isn't quite correct. Condensation is produced by the temperature difference within the case and the outside. That is why I've asked you if you dove already with the Osmo. The camera lens cover gets REALLY HOT and heat dissipation is an issue.  I've had expensive aluminum cases fogging on me due to extreme temp differences and not enough time to acclimate.  It would be nice if you come back to this post after you try the housing and let us know

Closing, that aluminum case for the Osmo looks interesting but as you've mentioned it costs 2/3 of the cam. I will wait to see some reviews on the official DJI case to see if they've found a solution for this and if not will go back to GoPro for my UW adventures.

ps. If DJI or GoPro make a 1" sensor UW Action Cam, I will definetely consider investing in an "expensive" case. Right now and as DJI and GoPro are competing, I have the feeling that we will see updated models very often.
2019-10-14
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>

El Diabolico Posted at 10-14 22:49
Appreciate the feedback. i am a Divemaster and I do go deep if there's anything worth seeing.
I've used several camera models (started with a Canon HF20 and a WP-V1 UW case for videos and a Nikonos IV for stills back in 2002) and I've used different  case manufacturers in the last 20 Years (Nauticam, Ikelite) but honestly, I am done with carrying heavy and expensive rigs and strobe lights all over the globe. Obviously I know I will not get the same quality video from a little Action Cam but the size difference IMO outweighs the loss in quality (been using GoPro for the last 10 years or so).

Well, I wouldn't consider this case to be a trouble to pack and carry.  Of course, I pack a housing, lights, strobes, camera, 3 lenses, tripod, ports, batteries, chargers, 2 drones (Mavic & Phantom 4) plus dive equipment when I travel.  So, for me, its about the gadget/tool capturing the best image I can.  The Osmo Action is for recording 4k video only as a part of diving and travel adventure.  I shoot with a Olympus OMD-EM1.   As for the fogging, I can only speak about my own experience, but, I've never experienced any fogging using my Nauticam aluminum housing on a hundred plus dives.    Ultimately, its what makes you happy and enhances your joy at shooting any type of photography.  Shot with my Mavic Pro in the Mergui Archipelago.
2019-10-15
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

This is what happens when you buy a cheap one.  (Sub $20 off ebay).  It broke the first time I went to use it while I was in Vanuatu.   I managed to fashion up a makeshift clip from a coathanger...but it was frustrating.

I am aware I didn’t techncially need a case for snorkeling, but i’m still a bit tentative about expensive electronics and sea water.

2019-10-17
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 10-17 02:07
This is what happens when you buy a cheap one.  (Sub $20 off ebay).  It broke the first time I went to use it while I was in Vanuatu.   I managed to fashion up a makeshift clip from a coathanger...but it was frustrating.

I am aware I didn’t techncially need a case for snorkeling, but i’m still a bit tentative about expensive electronics and sea water.

I can appreciate your disappointment.  My first underwater camera experience involved a cheap plastic case for my 5 Megapixel camera *at that time, in 2002, a decent camera* which worked quite well in the pool.  However, as soon as I took it diving on my first scuba dive, excited & thrilled to have one, it failed at about 20 feet, completely filling with sea water and destroying everything, even the SD card.  So, if you want a "worry free" underwater experience with your Osmo Action, go for a aluminum housing.  Its expensive, but, that is true of every camera and a aluminum underwater case.  You shouldn't be distracted from diving and shooting with anxiety that your case may flood.
2019-10-17
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

BengalBoy Posted at 10-15 20:41
Well, I wouldn't consider this case to be a trouble to pack and carry.  Of course, I pack a housing, lights, strobes, camera, 3 lenses, tripod, ports, batteries, chargers, 2 drones (Mavic & Phantom 4) plus dive equipment when I travel.  So, for me, its about the gadget/tool capturing the best image I can.  The Osmo Action is for recording 4k video only as a part of diving and travel adventure.  I shoot with a Olympus OMD-EM1.   As for the fogging, I can only speak about my own experience, but, I've never experienced any fogging using my Nauticam aluminum housing on a hundred plus dives.    Ultimately, its what makes you happy and enhances your joy at shooting any type of photography.  Shot with my Mavic Pro in the Mergui Archipelago.[view_image]

That’s exactly my point because instead of all that, now I have to “carry” my little 4 year old boy and all his accessories ;)

In any case it would be nice if you could comment on the aluminum housing once tested. From the photos you posted, it looked like you haven’t tried that setup yet as the Osmo still had the protective sticker on the lens.
2019-10-20
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Cookster670 Posted at 10-17 02:07

A 350€ Action isn’t exactly expensive when talking about UW photography gear my friend
Ps. I dove with official GoPro cases for a decade, never had an issue. I want to believe DJIs case will have the same standard.
2019-10-20
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249213 ft
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 10-20 02:18
A 350€ Action isn’t exactly expensive when talking about UW photography gear my friend
Ps. I dove with official GoPro cases for a decade, never had an issue. I want to believe DJIs case will have the same standard.

I wish it was the same "hardcrore" build as the Gopro. Love the output from the action but far too fragile for even moderate "action"
2019-10-21
Use props
burn4ever
lvl.2

Germany

Hey guys,
is there an alterantive to the T-HOUSING where you can add an red filter outside on the housing?
Or any filters for the original underwater housing from DJI available?
2020-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules