Advanced Flight Modes
1238 15 2019-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jthornton
lvl.2

I've made a few test filghts using my Galaxy S4 while waiting for the IPad Air 2 to arrive. I've enabled Multiple Flight Mode but can't find how to change to one of the intelligent flight modes.

She flies real nice and really holds station well in P mode.

JT

2019-10-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. Once you enable the multiple flight modes under DJI Go settings, all you need to do is to switch the RC from P-Mode to F-Mode for you to enter the intelligent flight modes. Once you are done for example a course lock once you exit or close it, the app will show you the option to choose another intelligent flight mode. You may refer to the image below about the intelligent flight mode functions. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!

2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-10 13:21
Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. Once you enable the multiple flight modes under DJI Go settings, all you need to do is to switch the RC from P-Mode to F-Mode for you to enter the intelligent flight modes. Once you are done for example a course lock once you exit or close it, the app will show you the option to choose another intelligent flight mode. You may refer to the image below about the intelligent flight mode functions. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support!

[view_image]

So once you select an Intelligent Flight Mode it stays in that mode until you select another one. So each time you move the mode switch from P-Mode to F-Mode it's always the one you set.

Thanks
JT
2019-10-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

jthornton Posted at 10-10 13:33
So once you select an Intelligent Flight Mode it stays in that mode until you select another one. So each time you move the mode switch from P-Mode to F-Mode it's always the one you set.

Thanks

Hi, yes, it will stay in that specific mode until you exit and select another one and you must always go on F-Mode when using the intelligent flight modes. You can go back to P-Mode if you want to fly in normal mode. Thank you!
2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-10 13:43
Hi, yes, it will stay in that specific mode until you exit and select another one and you must always go on F-Mode when using the intelligent flight modes. You can go back to P-Mode if you want to fly in normal mode. Thank you!

Thanks
JT
2019-10-10
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

I tried again and it says I have to be airborne to change modes... that seems a bit weird to me.

JT
2019-10-11
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

Perhaps it's a safety measure to stop accidental changes being made whilst fiddling with the controller whilst the drone is on the ground.
2019-10-11
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

Sean-newbie Posted at 10-11 12:13
Perhaps it's a safety measure to stop accidental changes being made whilst fiddling with the controller whilst the drone is on the ground.

I assume it just holds position while you select the mode? Not sure what to expect when I flip the toggle switch from P to F.

I did find the auto take off is there when the motors are not running and the auto land button shows up when the motors are running.
2019-10-11
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

Depending how quickly you switch through the "A" position it may move with the prevailing wind or not.
From memory in F it holds providing the sticks are centred but I haven't used F much, I should do as it has some useful features. Make sure you know which option you choose and how the drone will behave, practise in wide open spaces is wise!

I recollect reading it is possible to use one of the options to orbit around a subject when the option is combined with perhaps a resetiing of the home point. Just be sure to reset the home point to your position etc. as soon as you have finished the orbit. I nearly sent my bird for a swim after an inadvertent homepoint reset followed by a RTH command.

Switching to A is interesting if for no other reason than to see the wind at that flight level, just be sure you are well away from any obsticals etc. if you try it

Personally I don't like auto take offs and I have never tried an auto land, I'd want to make sure the latter could be over ridden if necessary before using it

2019-10-11
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

Sean-newbie Posted at 10-11 12:29
Depending how quickly you switch through the "A" position it may move with the prevailing wind or not.
From memory in F it holds providing the sticks are centred but I haven't used F much, I should do as it has some useful features. Make sure you know which option you choose and how the drone will behave, practise in wide open spaces is wise!
How did you reset the home position? That sounds like it could be a bad thing to do in some cases.

Auto take off seems OK, auto landing works too but it might drift a bit before it settles down.  Using Auto Take Off you don't have to start the motors.

I also like to fly by line of sight and have been flying RC for a long long time. My first radio was a Heathkit 3 channel single stick and you had to put it together.

JT
2019-10-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

You're welcome!
2019-10-12
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>

"How did you reset the home position? That sounds like it could be a bad thing to do in some cases."  
I may have done it deliberately during one of my first flights when I was away from home and in that case I would have used the option to reset the home point in the Go App. The' problem', if it existed, was that I then forgot about it and flew the drone into RTH because of a low battery, the drone headed towards someone and I panicked. I was new and never thought to check where the home point was. The foregoing was most likely all my doing.
The more interesting reset was when I, as an experiment, did a mid air CSC and restart. The reset occurred when the motors restarted ( entirely correctly but it did not figure in my thinking at the time), incidentally you have to throttle up to halt the fall, the motors restart as idle. I had lost sight of the drone during its fall so once it was hovering I initiated an RTH and the Go App asked me if I wanted to land where it was, over water.
The danger with a homepoint reset is if, as may have happened in the first instance, you forget about it or, as in the second instance, it does not figure in your thinking. I have used homepoint resets several times since the 2nd instance and they have been successful

Drift on auto landing would be my concern especially if I fly at home as I often use a small patch of concrete as a landing pad and it has low walls on three sides and me on the fourth. There is also the concern that the drone would flip if drifting, as I have had happen in a manual landing when, I think, a gust/eddy caught it at the wrong moment. As a consequence of the latter if landing in windy conditions I now hand catch.
2019-10-13
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

I've noticed that if you bring the P3P down to within a couple of feet of the ground and let it hover a bit it seems to stabilize then I hit auto land. But yea in windy conditions and with a small landing pad I can imagine that being a problem.

JT
2019-10-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

jthornton Posted at 10-13 04:49
I've noticed that if you bring the P3P down to within a couple of feet of the ground and let it hover a bit it seems to stabilize then I hit auto land. But yea in windy conditions and with a small landing pad I can imagine that being a problem.

JT

Perhaps a small landing pad is only appropriate for take off.

RedHotPoker
2019-10-13
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

I watched a few videos on advanced mode and think I have a handle on it now. Got the ipad air 2 today so maybe some testing tomorrow. It all looks straight forward and easy once your in the air.

JT
2019-10-14
Use props
jthornton
lvl.2

Made a couple of flights this morning in a more open place than my driveway. Tested out Heading Hold and Way Points. Tried Follow Me but I was not flying high enough. I think I understand Way Points well enough to try a short flight using the camera and map instead of LOS. Getting more comfortable now I have the ipad air 2 with a much larger screen.

JT
2019-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules