Support/parts
1166 12 2019-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gomi
lvl.1

As a new Phantom owner (used unit) I was excited to do some minor repairs to my newly purchased drone. I was missing a couple of screws from the gimbal. I was going to purchase a screw kit for the Phantom 3 pro but was informed that the screw kit does not include gimbal or camera screws. So....I set out to find a parts list and supplier to order the screws I needed or perhaps find the screw sizes and source them locally. I contacted DJI and asked for either screw sizes or where I could purchase parts. I spent no less than a week going back and forth with support in the hopes of getting screws or information on sizes. I have never in my 57 years delt with such an incredibly useless company. I was told that I must package up my drone and send it to a repair centre for a technician to diagnose my problem and repair my drone. Shipping cost/labour and parts at my expense. I explained I had no interest in sending in my drone in order for a technician to confirm there is indeed a hole where a screw should be. What I needed was a part. All I gained with DJI is a new pen pal. All I received was lip service and no parts. DJI insisted they were interested in helping me solve my problem, but didnt nothing other than suggesting I send my unit it for repair. I declined and also explained that I also was not interested in sending my truck to a Ford service centre to replace my windshiled wipers. I am interested in buying products from Companies that offer parts and service for their products. I urge you all to do the same as me....cut your losses, sell your DJI products and support a company that is interested in supporting you. My Phantom 3 pro is a nice drone...but support from DJI sucks more than any company I have ever delt with. My drone is for sale and I have placed an order for the new Skydio 2 . My hope is that they will have more interest in support and after sales service and parts.
2019-10-11
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft

2019-10-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi gomi, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with our support team, it is not recommended to repair the drone by customers themselves, we usually suggest customers send in the drone to our repair center if the product needs a repair service, the repair-related info may not be provided, appreciate your understanding.
2019-10-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain

Good luck with that, there is no evidence that the Skydio will be any better, or is even up to the standard of the P3. You are dealing with a Chinese company, wake up, it is how they all do business. Over here in Australia, we have a very similar problem with Jeeps, utter crap from a US company that does not give a sh1t about its customers.
2019-10-11
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 10-11 20:17
Good luck with that, there is no evidence that the Skydio will be any better, or is even up to the standard of the P3. You are dealing with a Chinese company, wake up, it is how they all do business. Over here in Australia, we have a very similar problem with Jeeps, utter crap from a US company that does not give a sh1t about its customers.

unless you go to the press and then there is a bit of interest
You'll remember 'you bought a what'  just sub out the product name
2019-10-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain

sky wombat Posted at 10-11 22:13
unless you go to the press and then there is a bit of interest
You'll remember 'you bought a what'  just sub out the product name

Yeah, I had forgotten that advertising campaign.
2019-10-11
Use props
gomi
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-11 19:52
Hi gomi, we apologize for the unpleasant experience with our support team, it is not recommended to repair the drone by customers themselves, we usually suggest customers send in the drone to our repair center if the product needs a repair service, the repair-related info may not be provided, appreciate your understanding.

Mindy....What you......and DJI clearly don't understand is.....No one in their right mind would go to the expense and inconvenience to send a drone in to have a screw installed. For gods sake give your head a shake. When you say it is not recommended for customers to repair there own drone...what you are really saying without the BS attached is....there is no money in customers repairing drone themselves. keep up the great work Mindy.
2019-10-12
Use props
gomi
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 10-11 20:17

Ah....But the Skydio is a US product, probably a subsidiary of Jeep.
2019-10-12
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft

I wonder if now is the time that third party companies begin to start supplying replacement parts? But it also begs the question as to how long we would like to keep our dear old Phantoms etc flying. Cars (automobiles) may be around for ten or fifteen years before they are replaced.  Is that something we, as pilots , wold anticipate or is that we view these devices as disposable and replace them within a year or two of them being made? I think within the pilot community there needs to be some discussion as to whether we want to fly them for ten or more years, or get rid of them whenever the warranty ends. For me I wold love to keep my Phantoms flying as long as I can. They do what I need them to do. SO for me, lets see the third party suppliers come on line, or even, dare I say, drone scrap yards, where you can find the bits yourself from old machines.
2019-10-13
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

Gomi,  why not state precisely what screws you need, perhaps with photos of their positions, then perhaps the punters here can tell you the appropriate diameters, lengths and pitches?
The biggest problem might be the shouldered screws but it used to be that shouldered bolts were available from nut & bolt stockists, though perhaps not in the small sizes you may want, and it is probably 30 years since I had an active interest so things may have changed.
2019-10-13
Use props
gomi
lvl.1

Sean-newbie Posted at 10-13 12:58
Gomi,  why not state precisely what screws you need, perhaps with photos of their positions, then perhaps the punters here can tell you the appropriate diameters, lengths and pitches?
The biggest problem might be the shouldered screws but it used to be that shouldered bolts were available from nut & bolt stockists, though perhaps not in the small sizes you may want, and it is probably 30 years since I had an active interest so things may have changed.

Hi Sean,
              I appreciate the suggestion. As I had no help from DJI, I purchased some digital calipers. used remaining screws as a sample. I ordered screws from china. They are indeed wafer head Philipps screws. The screws were the tiny ribbon cable horseshoe shaped protecting bracket. These were M2x3 wafer head. and the gimbal pc board housing screws also wafer head M2x6.  I asked DJI why they would not give me this information....asking if it was like KFC and their secret herbs and spices.....their reply...yes. My post was to share my experience with everyone. I have solved my current problem. Thank s again
2019-10-13
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft

Good news for all of us. Thank you for your persistance.
2019-10-14
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>

I know the ones you mean, I think there are 3 that size on that assembly with the third being on the outer face. Don't sneeze or twitch when putting them in or they will blow away.  Providing the head diameter isn't too larger I don't think the head profile matters much for those particular screws. Anyway you got it sorted, well done
2019-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules