Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
About cliff and canyon flying
893 0 2019-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rixdafix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140659 ft

I went camping in the Cedar Mesa Grand Gulch area of Utah. High winds prevented me from flying (Sparky) much of the time but I observed something that really drives home the importance of following regulations. I was sitting at camp near the edge of a cliff with an elevation drop of about 800 feet. It was very peaceful there with only the sound of the wind. I started to hear in the distance what sounded almost like a train but then recognized it as a jet powered aircraft which grew louder and louder yet couldn't see anything in the sky.

A few moments later, a military aircraft, not sure what kind, 4 engines and pretty big, flew through the gulch area above the canyon BUT BELOW the mesa top. I could see the top of the aircraft's wings from my vantage point which was easily less than a half mile away from the aircraft. I did manage to grab my phone and get a short video before it dissapeared behind a point on the mesa.

Now I've seen a few discussions about flying over cliffs and such and how it is very possible in these situations to end up with the drone hundreds or even thousands of feet above our 400 foot limit which if I understand correctly is fine as long as we don't travel further than 400 feet vertically from the slope of the cliff.

I think what I witnessed is a good reminder of why we need to heed these regulations. Just a thought.

https://youtu.be/IPeMRl0zup8
2019-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules