Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Could the Osmo Pocket be the best vlogging camera? PRELIMINARY TEST
1220 14 2019-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4

Hi.

Here's one of my preliminary tests using the Osmo Pocket with the Rode Wireless and Lavalier GOs.

In recent times I've become more convinced that the Pocket may well be a great vlogging camera, so I'm doing a number of tests to see how far it can be pushed in that direction. This prelim is all about testing things like FOV, external audio, stabilisation etc. I'ts basically me just being very random but some of what's being said and tested may be interesting to others.

I'll be doing more prelims to stress the Pocket as a full on vlogging camera with the aim to making a proper video if all the results are positive. I'll also post my progress on the DJI forum for those who may be interested.

This is not live on my YouTube channel yet but I thought I'd post it here anyway for obvious reasons.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-10-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

I don't think it's finished rendering on YouTube yet David. I can only get 360p at present. May get better later.
2019-10-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this video you have created and thank you for your support.
2019-10-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-13 15:46
I don't think it's finished rendering on YouTube yet David. I can only get 360p at present. May get better later.

I should have waited, I’m just too impatient sometimes

The file is about 30 minutes long and over 20GB, YouTube may take a while before it does the 4K version and then it goes back and re-encodes the lower version HD versions from H.264 to VP9. Why it doesn’t just do the 4K one first, is beyond me????

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-13 15:59
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this video you have created and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome buddy.

I still get very surprised at just how good the Osmo Pocket is, this truly is a unique camera and will stand the test of time very well and will probably become a classic.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-13 15:59

Hi Stephen.

I still get very surprised at just how good the Osmo Pocket is, this truly is a unique camera and will stand the test of time very well and will probably become a classic.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>

The current quality suffices for listening to this fascinating talk.  I do admire people who can simply talk about what interests them without a script or anything, without every other word being "errr" or "ummm"!

I've only got 6 minutes in so far, and right away I have one thought that leads to another...  

It's a matter of personal taste of course, but watching Dave walking and talking, I keep wanting to reframe the picture slightly, so that he's walking into a partly empty frame.  So for me, personally, I'd prefer to see him about one third in from the left of the frame (as he's walking from the left side towards the right), and the background occupying the remaining two thirds.  Work with me and accept for the moment that it's a desirable thing to want to do (even if you disagree!).  How are you going to do that?  Well, it's easy with either the control wheel or the official extension rod attached - you can make slow but accurate adjustments to the framing, an offset if you like,  with either even when tracking is on.  But with the control wheel attached, it's going to be awkward to do when the camera is out of reach on a third party rod.  With the official extension rod attached, unless you work without a phone for a screen, you can't use the audio accessory for connecting the audio source.  It's these little gotchas which make the system a bit less usable than it could be.  Personally, to get the greatest control, I'd use a Zoom F1 for a separate audio system clipped to my belt, and I'd hope to be talking in long unedited chucks in order to minimise the number of times I'd lip sync in post production!  Not that it takes all that long.

Perhaps I'm being too nitpicky, but it is sometimes frustrating that some points of system design detail of the Pocket inhibits the fullest creative use of the device, for vlogging and other purposes.  For instance there's the problems with audio sync at the 4GB file joins...  I wonder whether Dave encountered that one when making this video?

And now, I'll watch the rest!
2019-10-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-13 16:46
The current quality suffices for listening to this fascinating talk.  I do admire people who can simply talk about what interests them without a script or anything, without every other word being "errr" or "ummm"!

I've only got 6 minutes in so far, and right away I have one thought that leads to another...  

Hi.

All great points, thanks, and if you don't get too bored and manage to watch the whole thing, you'll see that I kind of cover some of what you've said as this video is questioning what can be done for the Pocket to be a great vlogging camera.

The point about positioning is a big one, I agree. I'd like to offset the frame but this just isn't achievable with the Pocket using it in such a way. Even with the control wheel things would be quite difficult.

The problem with vlogging is that you can't be interacting with the camera the same way you would if you were behind it. Again, the reason for these types of tests is to see what will and wont work.

Although I much prefer the stabilisation and picture quality of the Pocket compared to action cameras when walking and controlling it from behind as you would a traditional camera. I think this test maybe  shows why action cameras could be a bit more useful for this type of stuff.

As for audio. I would never use an external recorder for anything like this. There really is no reason as far as quality is concerned but the main reason is for speed of workflow.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part as I think the Pocket is an awesome camera. But maybe the reality, unfortunately, is that for a number of reasons, not just FOV, it's not really suited to vlogging ;( With time and attention though and for different scenarios, it's a different story as the Pocket is an awesome drama type camera.

Cheers,
Dave.   
2019-10-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>

Maybe one could say that it's pretty awesome for many scenarios - most of us have to choose one device to cover everything!
2019-10-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Wow, 30+ minutes
I might have to play that one in the background soon
2019-10-14
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-13 18:25
Maybe one could say that it's pretty awesome for many scenarios - most of us have to choose one device to cover everything!

Hi.

Yes, it’s a totally awesome camera but just like any camera there isn’t a perfect one, or at least one that will cover every shooting scenario. Maybe full on vlogging isn’t for the Pocket, although it’ll do certain vloggy stuff very well.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-14
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

Montfrooij Posted at 10-14 00:22
Wow, 30+ minutes
I might have to play that one in the background soon

Hi.

Maybe play it in the background if you need something to help you get to sleep

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-10-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

David_Harry Posted at 10-14 05:49
Hi.

Maybe play it in the background if you need something to help you get to sleep

Yeah.
Good tip!
2019-10-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 10-13 16:31
Hi Stephen.

It is always my pleasure Dave to watch your videos and to know your insights on both the DJI Osmo Pocket and of the DJI Osmo Action. Thank you so much for your valued support. .
2019-10-15
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Hi Dave,
I actually miss the wide-angle lens for the Osmo Pocket mainly for indoor shots, e.g. Hotel room and so on. Since the Ulanzi wide-angle lens has such poor image quality I use the YI4k Plus mounted on Osmo Mobile. The shots are really good to use.

But 2 days ago I received the new iPhone 11 Pro Max. The ultra wide angle lens has the same angle as my YI4k Plus and the picture quality is even better, so I will use these pictures with the iPhone mounted on the Osmo Mobile in the future.

I'm excited about the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

A few days ago I read about the new Freewell wide-angle lens. The picture quality should be better. I'm curious. At the moment you can not get the Freewell wide-angle lens anywhere.

2019-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules