what mag interference
4852 18 2019-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

what mag interferance re you talking about?   nothing around it.  its on a wooden shelf i built near a wall.. and the readings are low (110 peak) and no compass remarks.  this is an example of sftware causing users issues.. dji go home you are drunk, please stop this stupid sh*t DJI you're going to end up causing people to recalibrate when they dont need and increases the risk of users having problems over time with bad calibrations.

sam thing happened with mavic air and it drove users up a wall (crazy)
IMG-0045.jpg
2019-10-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

2019-10-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

When it requests a calibration, I just do it on the spot.  The Inspire that was flown from Florida didn't need compass calibration..  It never needed it.  No idea what hardware they use.  Of course, it's old, but the GPS lock is pretty much instant compared to the P4, Spark, and M2.  I calibrated it to be done.

After you do it a lot, you can get the spin perfectly and get it over with in 30 seconds unless you are obviously over something magnetic w/ the M2, then just take-off.  The P4 won't allow you take-off, so you need to find somewhere else to take-off from.
2019-10-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 10-13 19:09
When it requests a calibration, I just do it on the spot.  The Inspire that was flown from Florida didn't need compass calibration..  It never needed it.  No idea what hardware they use.  Of course, it's old, but the GPS lock is pretty much instant compared to the P4, Spark, and M2.  I calibrated it to be done.

After you do it a lot, you can get the spin perfectly and get it over with in 30 seconds unless you are obviously over something magnetic w/ the M2, then just take-off.  The P4 won't allow you take-off, so you need to find somewhere else to take-off from.

i know how to do it, its just there's proof in the compass saying low number and being green in the app with no remark that its false positive.  

the issue i have with false positives is not everyone looks and checks to see if its false positive (such as you mentioned).  people dont check what the aircraft's compass is actually reading and if the compass is actually complaining because if the compass is actually okay and you just calibrate it on the spot when it asks for it it is possible that one day you will calibrate in a poor calibration with a success message, take off and on a failsafe it flies away since these aircraft uses the compass to point it the correct direction.  

2019-10-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-13 19:32
i know how to do it, its just there's proof in the compass saying low number and being green in the app with no remark that its false positive.  

the issue i have with false positives is not everyone looks and checks to see if its false positive (such as you mentioned).  people dont check what the aircraft's compass is actually reading and if the compass is actually complaining because if the compass is actually okay and you just calibrate it on the spot when it asks for it it is possible that one day you will calibrate in a poor calibration with a success message, take off and on a failsafe it flies away since these aircraft uses the compass to point it the correct direction.

It should just determine the front of the IMU to be front.  No idea why it doesn't.
2019-10-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Perhaps there is metal in the walls that's causing it?
2019-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>

It’s almost impossible to calibrate a M2 wrong, same with mavic air if you calibrate wrong it will continue to show warning, so calibrating won’t do any damage, you will have noticed certainly around here almost no crashes because of bad calibrations, I agree with you sensors must be set very sensitive to show this warning so regularly, but I have weighed up the simple fact that I have never got this warning with Mavic Pro but many mavic pro crashes were due to taking off with bad compass, so for the time being I’m a lot better off , hopefully dji will work on setting this sensor with less sensitivity , but if they do it must result in the M2 keeping its record for little or no crashes from calibration.
2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

DAFlys Posted at 10-14 00:39
Perhaps there is metal in the walls that's causing it?

that's why i shown the graph in first pic,  110 (whatever unit dji uses) peak which is very small amount of green on the bar, indicates that the compass is happy and nothing metal actually bothering it this is also proven with the lack of "remarks" next to the compass sensor status..  if the compass was truly unhappy about something it would show it.

also this happen out in a field earlier that day this was taken at night when i got back.  no piping or wiring underground in that field either its old farmer's field been in their family for long time, 200+ years... and very low numbers on compass readings as well when it happened.

sometimes its sporadic in same location i can have no interference then one random reboot its begging for compass calibration. few reboots of drone later the error is gone for a while indicating its again a false positive.
2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-14 04:33
It’s almost impossible to calibrate a M2 wrong, same with mavic air if you calibrate wrong it will continue to show warning, so calibrating won’t do any damage, you will have noticed certainly around here almost no crashes because of bad calibrations, I agree with you sensors must be set very sensitive to show this warning so regularly, but I have weighed up the simple fact that I have never got this warning with Mavic Pro but many mavic pro crashes were due to taking off with bad compass, so for the time being I’m a lot better off , hopefully dji will work on setting this sensor with less sensitivity , but if they do it must result in the M2 keeping its record for little or no crashes from calibration.

in theory it should, however nothing is perfect and more often it false positives and people just calibrate every time on the spot the more chances that gives for it to one day accept a poor calibration.  im sure thats happened on rare occasion and triggered a fly away.    i bet you anything that's why my first spark on failsafe RTH turned the wrong direction and flew away luckily crashes itself before going to far.

for me, this behavior really started kicking off in latest firmware which furth indicates is a software issue not hardware.    personally on my mavic 2, if my compass sensor reading in app is low enough and the direction my drone is facing matches actual direction  then i ignore it and launch it.  honestly it will eventually stop reporting that error after a short while and its almost random when it errors.. i haven't figured out the pattern.. sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes rebooting it and moving it to another location fixes it, sometimes just ignoring it long enough fixes it.  so far im not forced to calibrate inorder to take off which is a positive and please dont change this DJI.   because it drove me absolutely insane on mavic air with it being compass error = grounded until recalibrated or if slick enough sometimes take of before finished booting using stick method to arm it and right away pushing up to get ahead of the compass erroring out nd it finishing booting..
2019-10-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer

"its on a wooden shelf i built near a wall"

Must be "Ironwood".

On a more serious note.  

Anychance there is metal in the wall like gas pipe or 120v / 240v power wires?  

Perhaps metal object like a stove or refrigerator on other side of wall?

Have seen my old ancient MPp warn about magnetic interference when setting on a wooden dinning room table.  Two causes - small metal brace at each table leg, and metal rails used for expanding table to add wooden table leafs.   Have to find sweet spot between braces and metal rails to get past warning.

2019-10-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-14 07:38
in theory it should, however nothing is perfect and more often it false positives and people just calibrate every time on the spot the more chances that gives for it to one day accept a poor calibration.  im sure thats happened on rare occasion and triggered a fly away.    i bet you anything that's why my first spark on failsafe RTH turned the wrong direction and flew away luckily crashes itself before going to far.

for me, this behavior really started kicking off in latest firmware which furth indicates is a software issue not hardware.    personally on my mavic 2, if my compass sensor reading in app is low enough and the direction my drone is facing matches actual direction  then i ignore it and launch it.  honestly it will eventually stop reporting that error after a short while and its almost random when it errors.. i haven't figured out the pattern.. sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes rebooting it and moving it to another location fixes it, sometimes just ignoring it long enough fixes it.  so far im not forced to calibrate inorder to take off which is a positive and please dont change this DJI.   because it drove me absolutely insane on mavic air with it being compass error = grounded until recalibrated or if slick enough sometimes take of before finished booting using stick method to arm it and right away pushing up to get ahead of the compass erroring out nd it finishing booting..

"if my compass sensor reading in app is low enough and the direction my  drone is facing matches actual direction  then i ignore it and launch  it. "

Your description of compass interference warning sounds all to familar.  Saw similar with my original Mavic Pro P.  Repeated intermittent calls for needless compass calibrations.  False compass calibrations went away, when I switched to CrystalSky.  Not that I would recomend switching to a DJI screen / Smart controller.

2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-14 07:45
"its on a wooden shelf i built near a wall"

Must be "Ironwood".

to start witht his compass error being following me around for a a bit, started in an empty field for no reason.  low readings, the rocks in he field are not ferrous or metalic (i checked with metall detector wond i have).  its old farmer's field owned for 200+ years and no wiring under there or piping out there.   

second of all, no not the wall in front or next to it just old school and hollow wall made of wood and plaster. as side note:  the shelf is approx 5 and half feet tall and ceiling is approx 10 foot ceiling in this room..is effectively floating and should not be influenced by anything above or below it currently when you consider the inverse square law..  have to be a lot of metal piping and alot of bad wiring  that i'm unaware of (unlikely given i replaced and removed much of it) for it to upset the compass 5 feet away from floor or ceiling.  
2019-10-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-13 19:32

the issue i have with false positives is not everyone looks and checks to see if its false positive (such as you mentioned).  people dont check what the aircraft's compass is actually reading and if the compass is actually complaining because if the compass is actually okay and you just calibrate it on the spot when it asks for it it is possible that one day you will calibrate in a poor calibration with a success message, take off and on a failsafe it flies away since these aircraft uses the compass to point it the correct direction.

"the issue i have with false positives is not everyone looks and checks to see if its false positive"

The flip-side is false positives can lead one to ignore warnings, when it turns out it isn't.  There is also a possible incedious problem.  A case where drone's GO-4 software fails to report real magnetic interference, with R.C. software properly reporting it.  

DJI really needs to resolve critical issue of false positive magnetic interference or warnings about compass calibration.  As it stands, compass problem (real or induced by needless calibration) is begging for a crash.

2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-14 07:51
"if my compass sensor reading in app is low enough and the direction my  drone is facing matches actual direction  then i ignore it and launch  it. "

Your description of compass interference warning sounds all to familar.  Saw similar with my original Mavic Pro P.  Repeated intermittent calls for needless compass calibrations.  False compass calibrations went away, when I switched to CrystalSky.  Not that I would recomend switching to a DJI screen / Smart controller.

here's is my issue...its $750 for smartcontroller which is like 60% of what i paid for my mavic 2 pro.    at that rate, im only 40% away from just buying another mavic 2 pro to also solve my issue as well.   im not being cheap just doesnt make finacial sense.. im not making that much money back from work i occassionally do to justify $750 or even $400 to solve my issue when i have a stack of iPhones and iPads i can use as well, specially when that isue can be solved with a software update that fixes these false positives.
2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-14 08:00
"the issue i have with false positives is not everyone looks and checks to see if its false positive"

The flip-side is false positives can lead one to ignore warnings, when it turns out it isn't.  There is also a possible incedious problem.  A case where drone's GO-4 software fails to report real magnetic interference, with R.C. software properly reporting it.  

absolutely going to either way lead to more mishaps overtime either from people just ignoring all the constant warnings when wont really happens that screws it up or from it accepting a poor calibration one day from people always calibrate on spot when asked to,  

im not sure its DJI go 4 that's doing false positives or drone itself, either way neds to be fixed.
2019-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-14 07:38

It didn’t start with last FW, it was there since the beginning and there are many posts around here about it, the thing is it’s not a problem and you can’t calibrate either M2 or Mavic air wrong , so the problem is , maybe sensor for these craft is to sensitive.
Compass in both M2 and MA are nothing like compasses in Mavic pro, Mavic pro has had more compass problems than most dji craft with exception of spark, both were always causing problems and many crashes, you will find it extremely hard to find one M2 that has crashed because of calibration or indeed any compass problem. This is a huge step forward as crashing because of compass problems with MP was rampant and I’m happy I don’t have that problem .
Maybe they sort out calibration all the time but it takes 20 seconds doesn’t make things better or worse so small price to pay to see no M2 crashing because of compass .
2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-14 11:59
It didn’t start with last FW, it was there since the beginning and there are many posts around here about it, the thing is it’s not a problem and you can’t calibrate either M2 or Mavic air wrong , so the problem is , maybe sensor for these craft is to sensitive.
Compass in both M2 and MA are nothing like compasses in Mavic pro, Mavic pro has had more compass problems than most dji craft with exception of spark, both were always causing problems and many crashes, you will find it extremely hard to find one M2 that has crashed because of calibration or indeed any compass problem. This is a huge step forward as crashing because of compass problems with MP was rampant and I’m happy I don’t have that problem .
Maybe they sort out calibration all the time but it takes 20 seconds doesn’t make things better or worse so small price to pay to see no M2 crashing because of compass .

for me its started with latest firmware, when i first got my aircraft i calibrated the compass once because it was refurbished and my IMU and compass was slightly drifted according to the graph in sensor area in app..  didn't need to calibrate again even after a few minor crashes testing it out. .510 came out and it been asking me all the time now -.-   personally for me its easier and faster then spending 20 seconds ever other day sometimes multiple times a day spinning my drone around to just take off if everything looks good.  

as for it being safe and not able to accept a poor calibration: nothing is perfect.. additionally for it to know its bad it has to have a reference, that reference could also be bad. so while it is highly unlikely,  statistically speaking... just how the world works whatever the odds are for it to accept a poor calibration, they more often it falsely asks and you on the spot calibrate the easier it is the hit that unlucky number one day.

2019-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-14 12:29
for me its started with latest firmware, when i first got my aircraft i calibrated the compass once because it was refurbished and my IMU and compass was slightly drifted according to the graph in sensor area in app..  didn't need to calibrate again even after a few minor crashes testing it out. .510 came out and it been asking me all the time now -.-   personally for me its easier and faster then spending 20 seconds ever other day sometimes multiple times a day spinning my drone around to just take off if everything looks good.  

You seem to have no problem disregarding that the reference could be bad, if your taking off without calibrating, let’s hope your own advice doesn’t come back to haunt you.

It seems even if there are absolutely no problems with crashing M2 some are complaining about 20 seconds, buy a SC you will save yourself 40 seconds every time you fly that’s how much faster that is .
2019-10-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 10-14 13:01
You seem to have no problem disregarding that the reference could be bad, if your taking off without calibrating, let’s hope your own advice doesn’t come back to haunt you.

It seems even if there are absolutely no problems with crashing M2 some are complaining about 20 seconds, buy a SC you will save yourself 40 seconds every time you fly that’s how much faster that is .

well my personal reference and what mavic 2 uses are 2 entirely different things one is mechanical and other is electronic.   i i usually orient myself before flying such as  the hills to north, valley to the south kinda thing.   if the app matches my personal reference i ignore the complaining it does.  

i thought about buying a crystal sky and guess what .. no, not paying $400+ for a CS or $750  for a smart controller for something that should be fixed in software for free. if the solution is to buy a SC or smartcontroller then hat indicate the issue maybe intentional ploy to get more money.  because guess what my iPhones all point north when oriented north, my iPad all point north when oirneted north... where is the break down?
2019-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules