Osmo mobile 3 calibration problem
21532 33 2019-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rainbowtunnel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29085 ft

Hi guys,
It's been a lot since the last time I have been here, I don't know if I am doing things right, so, if it sholdn't be the case, just tell me.
I have recently bought the Osmo Mobile 3 and I am using it with my Oneplus... The quality is awesome even though we, Android users, don't have all the cool stuff the Apple users have, but no big deal, I am sure they are going to be added for us too.
Anyway, there's this little thing I don't know if can be considered a problem or not. My Osmo Mobile it's always tilted like between 0.5° and 1.5° and, even if I have done a lot of different calibration on different surfaces, the "problem" doesn't solve.
Do you think it's normal? Is there any way to do a manual calibration?
Thank you in advance guys...

btw, This community has grown a lot xD
2019-10-16
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Surfaces ? Are you using the tripod to calibrate it, the base is not perfectly flat, so without the tripod you might get mixed results.
2019-10-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's a known issue and I've not seen a fix suggested.  Yesterday I spent some time beside a lake making a short video and when I got home I could see that the horizon wasn't level in any of the shots showing the lake itself.  So I had to level each clip in the editor, which extended the render time significantly (and lead to some quality loss I don't doubt).  For me this is the biggest annoyance of the Mobile 3, but I suspect the hardware is simply not accurate enough for a solution.
2019-10-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Just adding two things - one, calibration does not affect the accuracy of horizontal alignment - if you have the handle obviously slanted during calibration, it doesn't affect the degree of slant.  Second - I have to admit that my chances of managing a hand-held dead level pan with the phone not on a gimbal would be zero.  Still, it would be good if the gimbal didn't have this problem.
2019-10-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

And lastly - you can align the phone to the horizon by deliberately unbalancing it.  If you use the "Open Camera" app which has a level readout, gently slide the phone so that its weight counteracts the crooked horizon until the level readout shows zero, or close.  But I'd only do that for a shot such as beside the sea or a lake, where the problem is going to be obvious, as operating the gimbal with that sideways force is bound to strain the horizontal axis motor somewhat.  Rebalance when you've finished the shot.  All at your own risk.
2019-10-17
Use props
Rainbowtunnel
lvl.1
Italy

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-17 04:44
It's a known issue and I've not seen a fix suggested.  Yesterday I spent some time beside a lake making a short video and when I got home I could see that the horizon wasn't level in any of the shots showing the lake itself.  So I had to level each clip in the editor, which extended the render time significantly (and lead to some quality loss I don't doubt).  For me this is the biggest annoyance of the Mobile 3, but I suspect the hardware is simply not accurate enough for a solution.

Yes, same here, it's kind of annoying to have to lose quality because cropping the video to make it.
2019-10-20
Use props
Rainbowtunnel
lvl.1
Italy

Ben Mason Posted at 10-17 04:36
Surfaces ? Are you using the tripod to calibrate it, the base is not perfectly flat, so without the tripod you might get mixed results.

Yeah, I have done it with the tripod. The surfaces I'm referring to are all of those at home which I have already checked with the bubble sensor...
2019-10-20
Use props
djiuser_byCcg8B2xi8L
New

United States

Just got my Mobile 3 set up and it's got the same thing.  It's off just a bit, which is driving me crazy.  I hope DJI fixes this quickly.  
2019-10-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_byCcg8B2xi8L Posted at 10-28 12:23
Just got my Mobile 3 set up and it's got the same thing.  It's off just a bit, which is driving me crazy.  I hope DJI fixes this quickly.

It would be good to know from DJI

- what the design accuracy of the horizontal alignment is supposed to be

- whether calibration is supposed to have any effect on horizontal alignment

If the answer to the first question is "3 degrees" then users will know that the device should not be used to take images of anything that's horizontal (think about it...)

If the answer to the first question is "0.1 degrees" then the second question becomes relevant.  If our non-horizontal devices should be fixable by calibration, then it would appear that calibration is not working, as it seems to make no difference regardless of how the device is positioned during the process - so hopefully the calibration function can be fixed in a firmware update.
2019-10-28
Use props
djiuser_byCcg8B2xi8L
New

United States

I wonder if I should return the one I got and say it's defective.  I'm not going to use it like it is and have to level my footage off in post.  That defeats the purpose of having a gimbal.  
2019-10-29
Use props
djiuser_9A98rFP3mSpJ
New
Thailand

Same here!! My Osmo Mobile 3 tilts 1.5 degree to the left since day one. I thought as a newbie I did something wrong in balancing / calibration. Very annoying. Taking 180 degree panoramic landscape  makes it worse. This is why it brings me here
2019-11-1
Use props
djiuser_9A98rFP3mSpJ
New
Thailand

We have a friend here: forum.dji.com/thread-78562-1-1.html
2019-11-1
Use props
djiuser_9A98rFP3mSpJ
New
Thailand

djiuser_9A98rFP3mSpJ Posted at 11-1 15:52
We have a friend here: forum.dji.com/thread-78562-1-1.html

And a friend here too: forum.dji.com/thread-148846-1-1.html
2019-11-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Until doing some unrelated testing here today, I hadn't noticed that the phone is level when in portrait mode - the problem arises when switching to landscape, at which it spins 92 degrees instead of 90.  This coupled with the Mimo app now being unusable makes me think about giving up on this device and returning it - it's all getting too much like hard work.
2019-11-1
Use props
djiuser_zucegzIkaoxh
New

Netherlands

My new osmo mobile 3 is 1° tilted to the left. If I calibrate it correctly detects the tilt, realign and as soon as the calibration is over, it tilts again, discarding any corrections.
2019-11-3
Use props
Svendus
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi i think we solved  the  horizon leveling  problem by changing the way the M button works
it seems to be the Panorama mode setting that are disturbing  the leveling
2019-11-3
Use props
Svendus
lvl.1
Sweden

The gimbal are now leveled in Photo and Video mode but still tilting in Panorama mode
2019-11-3
Use props
jamir khan
New

India

Svendus Posted at 11-3 22:41
Hi i think we solved  the  horizon leveling  problem by changing the way the M button works
it seems to be the Panorama mode setting that are disturbing  the leveling[view_image]

Hi,

I tried changing the functionality of the M button but the horizon level still remains tilted.
2019-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm now using a different (cheaper) gimbal, whose app provides for adjustment of the horizon in steps of 1 degree, 0.1 degree, or 0.01 degree!  Come on DJI, if others can provide that function, I'm sure you could.  It's kind of vital.
2019-11-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, please check if you enabled FPV mode in the APP? The horizon will tilt a little bit under this mode, please switch to other modes such as Follow mode.
2019-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In FPV mode the horizon is not fixed - which is the whole point of that mode - so nobody is complaining about horizon tilt in FPV.  The problem occurs in the modes where the horizon is locked.  It is locked at a slight angle.  Either the calibration procedure should fix this - which is doesn't, and it appears that it is not intended to - or there should be provision for adjusting the level of the horizon, like with other phone gimbals.
2019-11-6
Use props
Svendus
lvl.1
Sweden

jamir khan Posted at 11-5 11:03
Hi,

I tried changing the functionality of the M button but the horizon level still remains tilted.

When we changed  the M mode button  from  Switch Photo/record  to Quick Menu  and made a calibration Photo and Video record mode
are perfectly leveled  but Panorama mode the phone are still hanging to the left

2019-11-6
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

OMG, you don't see a review on YouTube showing you this bug until you find it yourself the hard way.
I have the same problem, my Samsung is tilted toward the right side. Calibration doesn't do anything. And when you think I sold my Freevision gimbal where I could manually compensate the tilt angle only to buy the Osmo Mobile 3...

Edit: I removed the camera case and I can tell you it made a big difference. I used a level app and now the tilt is only 0.4 degrees from 2.4 degrees with the phone case.
2019-12-10
Use props
Darnis
New
Italy

Same issue for me.
2019-12-11
Use props
Darnis
New
Italy

Same issue for me.

Osmo Mobile 2 had an awesome calibration sistem, and with DJI GO a fine calibration features.
I took off a competition gimbal because it has the same calibration issue, I bought Mobile 3 because I was convinced it was better but I was wrong.
Mobile 2 is better: it's less limited in movements and more reponsive.

Hope that DJI resolve this!
2019-12-11
Use props
korengger
lvl.1
Malaysia

FIXED.

I noticed that the top-left corner clamp was pressing down on my phone's power button. So I folded some thick paper together and wedged it between my phone and the soft bumper casing, where the top-RIGHT corner clamp would be. The height of the folded paper would equal the height of the power button. Mounted the phone, powered on, and it works! Perfectly leveled. May not be the most elegant solution, but at least I do not have to buy an "approved compatible DJI phone" to get my footage to be leveled.

Hope this helps.
2019-12-11
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

korengger Posted at 12-11 21:41
FIXED.

I noticed that the top-left corner clamp was pressing down on my phone's power button. So I folded some thick paper together and wedged it between my phone and the soft bumper casing, where the top-RIGHT corner clamp would be. The height of the folded paper would equal the height of the power button. Mounted the phone, powered on, and it works! Perfectly leveled. May not be the most elegant solution, but at least I do not have to buy an "approved compatible DJI phone" to get my footage to be leveled.

Now that's an interesting (and when you read it, blindingly obvious!) thought - many thanks for posting it - I'll try that later.  But if there was an in-app adjustment as provided by the Mobile 3's competitors, it would be a more elegant solution.
2019-12-12
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Just updating my last post - indeed, putting the phone into the holder so that the power button is clear of the clamp does seem to fix the problem of the horizon being crooked horizon.  I've used all three of the Ulanzi counterweights (PT-10) to balance the lopsided phone (Pocophone F1) and there seems to be no problem with that in terms of overheating of the motors.  Perhaps a more elegant solution than using paper wedged into the clamp - but a heavier one!  Thanks again for pointing out the root of the problem - though, once again, there should be an adjustment in the app.
2019-12-13
Use props
DigitalJoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504688 ft
  • >>>
United States

After reading this for thread and another one, I took off my Apple rubber phone case, and mounted the phone back in my Mobile 3.
I reran the calibration once again.
My horizon line is now level. So based on my own experience and some of the comments on this thread, I believe you have to use the phone without a case on to work correctly with the Mobile 3.
2019-12-25
Use props
PiperD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1093 ft
United States

This is resolved - at least for iOS users. In the Mimo app there is now a "Horizontal Gimbal Adjustment" feature in the gimbal menu. Open the gimbal menu and scroll to the bottom. You can now incrementally adjust the horizon.

I also filed a support ticked with DJI support. They were totally useless - and did not mention this new feature in one of the firmware or app revisions.

Case/no case - doesn't matter. The case does not contribute to this problem unless the case is not co-planar with the phone.
2020-1-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's a very recent fix in the last few days - and for Android too.
2020-1-26
Use props
FENÍX ARUNI
lvl.1
Bolivia

HOla... tengo el mismo problema ... hay alguna solución desde aquel tiempo?? sera que me ayudas?
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_kVUROwBd3hP7
New

United Kingdom

Hi,My osmo mobile 3 , need calibration after every turning On!!!
pls help me..Tanx
Iman
2022-1-5
Use props
djiuser_V9iwWvSRuMju
New

Romania

Dji mobile 3, when turned on, turns to the right even if the phone is in position even if it is not. Even after calibration it continues to rotate to the right to the end. What could I do?
2022-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules