Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Topic 9
941 18 2019-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

Drone action starts at 19:45. Shot with Mavic Air.
2019-10-17
Use props
Vofas
Captain
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Beautiful places! Where is it filmed?   Sorry, I didn’t read the video description at first.
2019-10-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, nicely done! Thanks for sharing
2019-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one
Not sure if it is 'cinematic', but that is personal of course
2019-10-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Beautiful work and place! We do appreciate sharing this footage with us. Cheers!
2019-10-17
Use props
QQRUCH
Captain
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

Great footage, thanks for sharing!
2019-10-17
Use props
slup
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1607103 ft
Sweden

Nice! Perhaps try to use manual exposure to avoid sudden changes in the same scene.
2019-10-17
Use props
Clackers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1438999 ft
Japan

Beautiful country, thanks for sharing.
2019-10-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Nicely done, thanks for sharing
2019-10-17
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

Vofas Posted at 10-17 05:39
Beautiful places! Where is it filmed?   Sorry, I didn’t read the video description at first.

Thank you. It is filmed in the north of Togo (West Africa) in the Savannah region. The area is called Tandjouaré and the place is called Nano. The granaries are hidden in a cave in a village called Nôk.
2019-10-17
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

Montfrooij Posted at 10-17 06:43
Nice one
Not sure if it is 'cinematic', but that is personal of course

I think you are right. What is a cinematic though?
2019-10-17
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

slup Posted at 10-17 12:56
Nice! Perhaps try to use manual exposure to avoid sudden changes in the same scene.

Yeah. exposure got messed up at some point while filming the hidden granaries in the caves and flying away from the caves. Manual exposure may be tricky. Do you think using ND filters could have helped? I have some but haven't used them yet.
2019-10-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

Nicely done. thanks for sharing.
2019-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kelisko Posted at 10-17 23:50
I think you are right. What is a cinematic though?

I'm always right (oh wait, that is my wife's motto)

I'm not sure if there is an exact definition of 'cinematic', but for me it usually involves a certain way of showing things.
Usually that means a certain (slow) pace, some music that enhances that feeling and motion is used to add to that feeling too.
Certain techniques help me to achieve that feeling. Like multiple direction moves, top down views, revealing shots etc. etc.
But that is very personal of course!
2019-10-18
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

Montfrooij Posted at 10-18 03:22
I'm always right (oh wait, that is my wife's motto)

I'm not sure if there is an exact definition of 'cinematic', but for me it usually involves a certain way of showing things.

Haha! As you said it, it must be personal. Your definition matches my understanding of cinematic, I think. And I believe the first portion of the video matches it a bit.
2019-10-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool vid
2019-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kelisko Posted at 10-18 04:26
Haha! As you said it, it must be personal. Your definition matches my understanding of cinematic, I think. And I believe the first portion of the video matches it a bit.

I think it does indeed
2019-10-18
Use props
slup
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1607103 ft
Sweden

Kelisko Posted at 10-17 23:53
Yeah. exposure got messed up at some point while filming the hidden granaries in the caves and flying away from the caves. Manual exposure may be tricky. Do you think using ND filters could have helped? I have some but haven't used them yet.

No, a ND filter wouldn't have helped in your case when you had a transition from a shadow area into a highlight area. In cases like that you depends on the sensors dynamic range, which in most cases are to narrow to be able to capture both the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights. It's up to you to decide what to expose for, either keep the darker hill side correctly exposed & when you ascend the sky get's a bit over exposed ... or the opposite, or some middle way.

ND filters are used mainly for two reasons when it comes to video/stills.

The first is to acquire the right amount of motion blur in videos so it looks natural, the thumb rule to achieve that is to use a shutter speed that is double the frame rate, or as close as is possible. Like, 25 fps then use a shutter speed of 1/50th or 30 fps and 1/60th. In order to get a correct exposure at those relative slow shutter speeds you need to block some light entering the camera if filming in bright daylight, otherwise you easily ends up with shutter speeds up to 1/800 or faster. Filter values between ND4 to ND32 is usually used for this purpose. Also note that for drone filming above approx. 30 meters motion blur isn't so pronounced or noticeable anymore & use of the rule "double fps as shutter speed" isn't important ... meaning no ND needs to be used.

The second reason for ND filters is more biased toward still photos. If you want to create excessive motion blur in daylight conditions in order to for instance smooth out streaming water you need shutter speeds as slow as 1 or 2 seconds ... to achieve speeds as slow as that during daylight you can use ND1000 filters.

ND filters mainly do only one thing ... shade out light, it will not equal out light differences between a shadowy hillside & a bright sunny sky... with one exception

Graduated ND filters ... it's a filter that have the top half darker then the bottom half. The use of filters like that is more for still cameras on tripods were you can align the darker top half on the bright sky & the lighter bottom half towards the darker ground in the composition, meaning the filter evens out the light differences in the picture. Not sure that that kind of alignment is easily achieved when flying a drone ... or if you can buy graduated filters for drones.
2019-11-7
Use props
Kelisko
lvl.4

Togo

slup Posted at 11-7 00:41
No, a ND filter wouldn't have helped in your case when you had a transition from a shadow area into a highlight area. In cases like that you depends on the sensors dynamic range, which in most cases are to narrow to be able to capture both the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights. It's up to you to decide what to expose for, either keep the darker hill side correctly exposed & when you ascend the sky get's a bit over exposed ... or the opposite, or some middle way.

ND filters are used mainly for two reasons when it comes to video/stills.

Wow! I just learned so much in one post! Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate very much!
2019-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules