Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Smart Controller in Cold Temperature Issue
1772 7 2019-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Groundpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2106 ft
Canada

Hi,

I have the smart controller and Mavic 2 Zoom for a month now, I did experience two software crashs under cold temperature.
The first time was on the way out and it start to show slow response on the touch panel when I tried to set up camera, and later on no response at all.
When I noticed that the screen has no reponse, I pressed the RTH, I could hear the beep, but the screen showed wait or close the app. luckly the drone was not too far and it landed safely.  
After the drone landed, I powered down the smart controller and restart, everything back to normal. The temperature was around 5~6 degree C.
About a week later, the drone was on the way out too, I was trying to adjust some parameters, the first few adjustments were fine, but kind of slower than indoor. After a while, it got really strange that I had to press the panel few times before it responded to the command and finally it stop to respond, then showed wait or close the app. Again, I did the RTH and landed safely. Reboot the controller, everything fine again. The temperature was around 8 degree C this time.
The interesting thing for both is, each time when I got home and tested the drone and the smart controller, they were all ok indoor.
Just wondering anyone tried the smart controller under the cold temperature? Any DJI Go 4 crash like I had?

2019-10-17
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good info to know when winter comes around but it could be your fingertips were too cold for the screen to register the heat signature.

A lot of people just got into DJI this year so we will find out what happens when things.. go wrong.

2019-10-17
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Last February I flew my M2P with the SC at -7 degrees C and I had no problems.
2019-10-17
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

just in case there are issues with ANY controller, you have RTH set to activate whenever the controller looses connectivity or the app crashes or even if the controller shuts off, right?  eventually the low battery will bring it home, too.  i'm not 100% sure of this but i think i have found that the SC will still connect with the drone even if the app closes.  just try it while flying, force close the app.

anyway, i always have my 2nd controller and/or google nearby just in case.  need to practice emergency drills.
2019-10-17
Use props
Groundpilot
lvl.2
Canada

Don't know if the finger tip was too cold for the screen or not, the second time before I went out my car for the fly, I did put lotion on and have gloves to keep my hands warm. When I was ready, I removed gloves.
The only thing I remembered for both incidents, before the software crashed, it always start with slow/lag response and then the screen pop up showed wait or close the app.
Today, it was really windy out there, the temperature was around 6~7 degree C, there were few times I had to tap the screen more than once to get the function to work, other than that, the software didn't crash after two batteries.  I did tried my phone as well to compare with smart controller, my 3 year old phone was on the stair and cold, didn't have any response issue at all.
2019-10-18
Use props
Vulcain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57615 ft
France

As for me, last May to the high mountains it was -10 ~ -8 (celsius) and no problem (it was rather the reverberation of the sun on the snow that prevented me from seeing the screen correctly despite the 1000cd), but I kept the Smart Controller under my jacket between two uses.
2019-10-19
Use props
Groundpilot
lvl.2
Canada

I decided to updated the DJI GO 4 software inside the smart controller, it was V4.3.21.
After updated the DJI Go 4 to the latest version V 4.3.25 last night, things got really interesting today.
Before I took-off, just on the ground, the DJI GO 4 already crashed 2 times, I was using the return key + the record button to record the screen, then tap the video button on the screen to record video in the drone.
As soon as I tap the three dots on the top-right corner, the screen has no response and after about 3~5 seconds, the software crashed. I then turned off the smart controller and restart again, repeat what I have done, the software crashed again! I then completely shut down the controller and Mavic 2 Zoom, restart again. This time, I was using the screen slide down soft button to do the screen record and video record, the software didn't crash. First fly was ok until I found the zoom in and zoom out is a little bit strange. When I zoom in, the software support to move the 24mm number toward to 48mm, it didn't. I can see the image zoom in , but the software didn't change, after few second, it didn't respond to my left stick or I should said the image didn't change. At this point I pressed RTH and luckily it landed safely. the second fly also had similar issues, overall the software did crash at least 5 times today.
After I gone through other threads, I found some people already reported some software crash issues in here like the topic under smart controller: "DJI Smart Controller issues already?".
Looks like the software itself need some improvements, the issue could happen under normal condition as well.
Anyway, I will completely reset my smart controller back to factory default tomorrow to see if this will clean up or reduce the issue.
2019-10-20
Use props
Groundpilot
lvl.2
Canada

Here's a screen capture:

2019-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules