Battery Gremlins got my MA Today
1030 9 2019-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PappyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343816 ft
United States

Battery Gremlin took hold of my MA this morning. Took off, had home point set and 14 satellites, started to fly across the field and Wa-La! Battery drained quicker then quick MA desended and landed almost as fast. Air temp was about 50*F, a little windy.  Is this a firmware or software issue? I don't know how many batteries DJI have made but is this a saftey issue? I have the "DJI Care" does that cover the batteries? I got my MA back, no damage unlike some of the other threads I have read. I attached the flight log link.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/596622ER0K0V1RZIMHNA

2019-10-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. May I please if your other batteries do the same thing? Also, you can try to discharge the battery until it goes to 0% then fully charge it again and check whether the problem persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your kind and understanding
2019-10-18
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Yikes.. this is scary
2019-10-18
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
United States

Gamora, I flew a battery before I had the issue with the battery dropping to 0, that flight was uneventful. Got some pretty good pictures of the Tunnel Canal, The flight after was uneventful except I really did not feel confident enough to fly high or far. As for discharging the "bad" battery completely when I put it away none of the lights would come on when I push the button on the battery. Would that mean the battery is completely discharged?  I have the DJI Care does that cover batteries?
  Now you want me to charge the "Bad" battery and see it it will work. I don't have a problem with that. I'll try and let you know the out come. What is the life cycle of the batteries, how many times can you charge them? Is there a way to know before flight if the battery will perform as expected?
2019-10-19
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
United States

I tried to charge the bad battery , no luck. the light does not come on when I press the button. The other 3 charge and seem to be fine.
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Is your AC still under warranty? There is another member here that had the same problem and his is not to send in for evaluation. People want to know why this is happening to them.  I don't have a MA just a fleet of Mavic Pros and Enterprise Dual.
2019-10-20
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
United States

Yes I have the DJI Care. I have searched the forums here and Google, this seems to be an issue with no warning. A battery can be good on one flight and you charge it for the next, take off and the drone falls from the sky. I don't know if this is a software or hardware problem. Todays Monday I'll see what starting a claim with DJI is like and it might be much easier to buy another battery.
2019-10-21
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
United States

I made a warranty inquiry on line and I have to send my MA into DJI with the bad battery. I’m thinking on just purchasing another battery and avoiding the whole mess of shipping and being without it. How long does this process take?
2019-10-21
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

This is terrible to hear.  Other pilots on this forum have experienced this.  I haven't flown my Mavic Air in a while.  This uptick in serious incidents, makes me want to sell my drone.
2019-10-21
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

PappyD Posted at 10-21 04:01
I made a warranty inquiry on line and I have to send my MA into DJI with the bad battery. I’m thinking on just purchasing another battery and avoiding the whole mess of shipping and being without it. How long does this process take?

I really have no idea long the process takes. Sending it in is up to you. If a new battery will satisfy you then do that. That's probably what i would do too.
2019-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules