Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New DJI 2020 drones may have a 400' limit.
3343 36 2019-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2019/10/07/fightforflight/
"FAA to Impose Restrictions on the Hobby
AMA needs your assistance in an urgent matter. The FAA unexpectedly informed us that, contrary to earlier commitments to AMA, the agency is planning to limit all recreational model aircraft operations to 400 feet in controlled airspace and there will be no exceptions."

Just as we have CE restrictions for other countries non-US, they might limit the US to 400' w/ the newer drones that have ADS-B.  If you buy drones that have tons of limits (massive 150-mile blue radius NFZs that don't allow you to RTH and require authorization, abundant red NFZs that if you cross far enough into it malfunctions the drone), they better be so damn good that it's worth flying within regulation.  Still though, when you are high up it looks pretty boring.  Flying low and tight are where things look better.

I've been saying about the tariffs rising the cost of drones weeks before they went up $300+, so I assume this is what could happen.

The other option is to get competitor drones that have no restriction or get older drones w/ lower restriction or super but not so old drones w/ zero restriction.   You can risk flying very high, but there is a chance fighter jets would shoot it down or control them (like the government did with the MH370) and fly them into a heli or catch them with a net to bring to base.  I assume the military would have enough tech to frequency scan, decrypt the signal controls, control, and capture.  When people try to get their drones back, they can't because when the government wants to do what they want, sometimes people can do nothing about it just as how the God system works.
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

If you people in the USA would have opened my link on Thursday i posted about the FAA's DAC ( Drone Advisory Committee) meeting  you have have heard all this first hand. There is another one in 3 months so stay tuned and i will try to post them on this forum again. This is no joke to you US drone flyer no matter whether you are recreational or 107 pilots!
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 10-20 01:17
If you people in the USA would have opened my link on Thursday i posted about the FAA's DAC ( Drone Advisory Committee) meeting  you have have heard all this first hand. There is another one in 3 months so stay tuned and i will try to post them on this forum again. This is no joke to you US drone flyer no matter whether you are recreational or 107 pilots!

It's not that.  It's when the manufacturers implement locks and restrictions beyond the users control.
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 02:15
It's not that.  It's when the manufacturers implement locks and restrictions beyond the users control.

We will find out in 3 months:

How in the world do you think the FAA gets their recommendations? From DAC that's who. And they're not making them (the mfg'ers) do anything YET. One of the people on the committee is from DJI and they will follow anything the FAA wants them to. You need yo go watch those li9nk i posted. Believe me i know what i am talking about. I spent my whole Thursday watching the DAC show lol
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

And also the 2020 drones may have ADS-B on them too.  That's WAY worse than the 400' thing....and it already is 400'. They want to redo the maps for altitudes around airports etc... there's a lot of things in the fire right now you people don't know. The AMA is just getting people scared WAY to soon over this.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 10-20 02:27
And also the 2020 drones may have ADS-B on them too.  That's WAY worse than the 400' thing....and it already is 400'. They want to redo the maps for altitudes around airports etc... there's a lot of things in the fire right now you people don't know. The AMA is just getting people scared WAY to soon over this.

I mean, the regulations are really good.  A lot of people are getting a lot of money and more planes are hitting the skies.

The only main issue is, not being able to RTH in an NFZ.  That is the dumbest because you can lose signal and you are f*.  This is 100% stupid because those who Want to commit mischief will do it w/ other drones screwing everyone else who has a job to do safely in an NFZ.  I had to take pictures of a house roof at around 80 ft or less but in a blue zone.  It kept warning me about how RTH and other features won't work.  It was scary.
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 02:45
I mean, the regulations are really good.  A lot of people are getting a lot of money and more planes are hitting the skies.

The only main issue is, not being able to RTH in an NFZ.  That is the dumbest because you can lose signal and you are f*.  This is 100% stupid because those who Want to commit mischief will do it w/ other drones screwing everyone else who has a job to do safely in an NFZ.  I had to take pictures of a house roof at around 80 ft or less but in a blue zone.  It kept warning me about how RTH and other features won't work.  It was scary.

yup people are going to do what they want to do and they are right now!I I told them they were wanting to live in a fantasy world. None of it will work for everyone. There's no way
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 10-20 03:19
yup people are going to do what they want to do and they are right now!I I told them they were wanting to live in a fantasy world. None of it will work for everyone. There's no way

They wanted people to pay a tax for BTC late 2017 but then it dumped hard early 2018.  After they didn't care, now they want it to be declared.  I lost around $17k from it in 2017-2018 during Centra Tech.  Because it was a "scam" coin they deleted the records from Binance.
2019-10-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

That link doesn't say or imply that DJI is planning to change its restrictions; it just says that the FAA isn't going to provide a waiver process for recreational flight above 400 feet AGL in controlled airspace. Translation: if you're flying for fun and want to go above 400 feet, you have to do it away from airports.
2019-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

We will see soon
2019-10-20
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

Surely in the future the regulatory bodies are going to have strict flight heights what with all those drone delivery services and all those people with drone cars let alone all those things with wings and huge propellers, also nobody seems to be taking into account all the wildlife flying at any height. We are so screwed.
2019-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 02:15

Do you need to go beyond the restrictions , would you advise others to put people and their property at risk ?
You do have a choice they’re are other drone manufacturers that allow you make your own decision, I don’t think dji will row back on their decision to opt for geo fencing , but I do believe that other manufacturers will be forced under new rules to adopt a similar system, or they will be refused licenses to trade in many countries.
2019-10-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. As of the moment we don't have any information regarding DJI's future products and there restrictions, please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2019-10-20
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 10-20 05:48
That link doesn't say or imply that DJI is planning to change its restrictions; it just says that the FAA isn't going to provide a waiver process for recreational flight above 400 feet AGL in controlled airspace. Translation: if you're flying for fun and want to go above 400 feet, you have to do it away from airports.

I believe the proposed regulation stops more then 400 feet ANYWHERE. Not just near airports. You will not be allowed to go over 400 ft AGL anywhere.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-20 06:43
Do you need to go beyond the restrictions , would you advise others to put people and their property at risk ?
You do have a choice they’re are other drone manufacturers that allow you make your own decision, I don’t think dji will row back on their decision to opt for geo fencing , but I do believe that other manufacturers will be forced under new rules to adopt a similar system, or they will be refused licenses to trade in many countries.

Exactly, refused licenses to trade in many countries.  If they are going to NFZ then the altitude restriction should be 150 feet and/or being able to fly back the same path it went to get there.  Not, not be able to RTB w/ no control.  I mean, I haven't called an RTH in the blue zone.  I was scared what would happen.  I had authorization and was no where near the Trump area.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 10-20 09:27
I believe the proposed regulation stops more then 400 feet ANYWHERE. Not just near airports. You will not be allowed to go over 400 ft AGL anywhere.

That's exactly it, you will not be able to go 400 ft AGL anywhere with the newer drones in the US, and I assume there is no way around that as they said no exception, therefore, there would be no way to mod it out unless you spoof the GPS, but then your home point is gone.  If you are in the middle of absolute nowhere with Zero aircraft as the place is "dead," you should be able to break 400ft, especially when you are a first responder looking from high-altitude with thermals on for missing people.
2019-10-20
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

If you notice on the airport maps they have the altitude marked as you get closer to the airport and it drops starting out at the edge of the 400' mark (5 miles). Go here and look where the airports are and you will see what i mean. The DAC is going to revamp the altitudes on the airports when they meet up in 3 months is on the agenda. I don't remember everything on their agenda so don't ask lol but they inturn send off what they find to the FAA and then the FAA adopts the rules etc...

Here's one of the sections from Periscope watch them if you dare lol https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ZkJzApgYpdGv

Here's the next one https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lPJqeAWVnZJb

The last one https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ypJdBPjjnNKW
You won't believe what they are going to do to us drone pilots..........
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 10-20 10:06
If you notice on the airport maps they have the altitude marked as you get closer to the airport and it drops starting out at the edge of the 400' mark (5 miles). Go here and look where the airports are and you will see what i mean. The DAC is going to revamp the altitudes on the airports when they meet up in 3 months is on the agenda. I don't remember everything on their agenda so don't ask lol but they inturn send off what they find to the FAA and then the FAA adopts the rules etc...

Here's one of the sections from Periscope watch them if you dare lol https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ZkJzApgYpdGv

The videos don't load for me as it stops around 25% unless I get the app to watch.  I have the latest PC with everything to update with gigabit internet.

Can you summarize the key points of the 3 videos here?
2019-10-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 10-20 09:27

You must not have read the link, because that's not what it says.
2019-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 10-20 09:32
Exactly, refused licenses to trade in many countries.  If they are going to NFZ then the altitude restriction should be 150 feet and/or being able to fly back the same path it went to get there.  Not, not be able to RTB w/ no control.  I mean, I haven't called an RTH in the blue zone.  I was scared what would happen.  I had authorization and was no where near the Trump area.

So you think it’s ok to fly 150 ft in NFZ , like city Centre, major heritage sites , in Washington DC, I mean where do you draw the line, you can do a lot of damage flying low in a NFZ , considering over 90% of the sky you can quite legally fly then it’s not a problem maybe an inconvenience but that’s about it .
2019-10-20
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

400ft is the legal limit in most countries so what's the issue?. I shoot professionally and rarely have an urge to go any higher than that anyway.
2019-10-20
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 10-20 13:31
You must not have read the link, because that's not what it says.

FAA to Impose Restrictions on the Hobby

AMA needs your assistance in an urgent matter. The FAA unexpectedly informed us that, contrary to earlier commitments to AMA, the agency is planning to limit all recreational model aircraft operations to 400 feet in controlled airspace and there will be no exceptions. Although a 400 feet limit may work for a large number of our members, we have a number of disciplines that will need to go higher than these proposed heights. Additionally, the FAA is proposing restrictions in uncontrolled airspace to altitudes that could present safety issues as well as limit some model aircraft operations altogether. We were stunned by this proposal and are pushing back, but we need your help.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-20 13:54
So you think it’s ok to fly 150 ft in NFZ , like city Centre, major heritage sites , in Washington DC, I mean where do you draw the line, you can do a lot of damage flying low in a NFZ , considering over 90% of the sky you can quite legally fly then it’s not a problem maybe an inconvenience but that’s about it .

The reason why there was an NFZ in the blue zone was that the radius extended far off from the red zone of the Trump tower.  2 Marine helicopters were patrolling.  I flew around the other area for some water views at a low alt while I waited.  Police were going by; it was ok.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 10-20 18:38
FAA to Impose Restrictions on the Hobby

AMA needs your assistance in an urgent matter. The FAA unexpectedly informed us that, contrary to earlier commitments to AMA, the agency is planning to limit all recreational model aircraft operations to 400 feet in controlled airspace and there will be no exceptions. Although a 400 feet limit may work for a large number of our members, we have a number of disciplines that will need to go higher than these proposed heights. Additionally, the FAA is proposing restrictions in uncontrolled airspace to altitudes that could present safety issues as well as limit some model aircraft operations altogether. We were stunned by this proposal and are pushing back, but we need your help.

It's a proposal, I think, though, but I assume it's because the pilots want to feel safe at a 500-foot altitude no matter what.  Not worry about a drone collision at all by staying alert like when people mind their own business in lane w/o worrying about what anyone else is doing on the highway too much.  It's like deer, a lot of people don't worry about them, but those that do, especially motorcyclists, go down hard after they hit them.

Maybe flying above 400' w/ ADS-B could be the only exception.  Saying no exception could be a way of bringing people in to talk than people saying nothing and ideas not coming onto the table such as a design contest.
2019-10-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Besides 400-foot altitude limit, surprised FAA didn't also propose a 400-foot distance limit.
Except when it comes to deliver drones, which would get unlimited distance thanks to lobbyists.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-20 23:32
Besides 400-foot altitude limit, surprised FAA didn't also propose a 400-foot distance limit.
Except when it comes to deliver drones, which would get unlimited distance thanks to lobbyists.

Oh yeah, when I first started flying RC stuff, even just 80 feet was very far, but this was before the communication systems weren't as good, so it made sense.  Also, when the reliability wasn't so great and things were flying away and losing control even at 20 feet into garage doors.

They want to do all this RC stuff early before anything bad happens.  Luckily, most people know what to do and don't misuse it, of course.

The tech is getting so good that the manned stuff for quick flights would most likely take over than helicopter.  I assume, if the world doesn't end by an asteroid, war, etc. that in a few years, drones will be the new mass transport system.  Strategically, asteroids that hit could be controlled to wipe out areas so that things can bloom.  If 9/11 didn't happen, Facebook and Google probably would have never existed.  If Enron and Real Estate didn't go down, cryptocurrencies would have never existed.

We have a lot of clues in life that have already happened.  Rather than just keep going to miss the next big thing, or the next big thing gets done not as good, we can detect it and use our equipment to help along the way.  Seeing things from just ground level used to be how it was because aerial cost too much and long jibs cost too much too.  Seeing things from elevation would take so much work, so it just doesn't happen, but with drones, you can be in 3D space quickly and easily.  It's going to be indoors soon because of how Skydio 2 is doing it.  If DJI and Skydio partner up, it would be great; otherwise, Skydio would be great inside and DJI outside or Skydio just takes the entire drone market within 5-10 years.  

Uber was good, but Lyft took over.  I used to and still drive people are at times with both companies, and people tell me what they don't like about Uber.  Some people have been kicked off Uber and went to Lyft.  When I got back onboard after a year or 2 of not doing it, Lyft approved me quickly while Uber took 2 weeks.  Lyft is faster, but I haven't used the Uber system.  I still get my AT&T discount, though, but still deserved.  I did hundreds and hundreds of trips for them when I started.  I still have my high near 5-star rating.
2019-10-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

So will they change the sensors to be able to detect how high they are AGL?   I can quite legally take off at the bottom of a hill and fly up it,  being 400ft from ground but more than 400ft from where I took off.
2019-10-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-20 23:59
So will they change the sensors to be able to detect how high they are AGL?   I can quite legally take off at the bottom of a hill and fly up it,  being 400ft from ground but more than 400ft from where I took off.

Most likely so, but it could hurt DJI if they do it is the thing or any company that does it.  The only way people would not leave is if they are loyal or the camera tech is so much better than flying out far is not needed.  You can still get those undetected shots; it's just you need to do it with technology that is old enough to have no governors.

I've ordered the Skydio 2.  They've pulled the preorder link when I first got the e-mail, so many people didn't see it.  Skydio is backordered for at least 1 good year.  I'm getting the first batch and should be able to compare.  I've ordered more DJI products though.  It doesn't mean DJI is garbage.  Some people will miss the winter aerial filming if they wait for the Skydio 2.  Also, Skydio 2 could have flaws.

DJI has really really reliable stuff.  I'm not sure if I posted it here or another post, but I fly it like it's a nuclear weapon that if something fails, everybody dies, but it doesn't fail.  The first few days were nerve-racking.  Flying past people's homes, flying over some highways, flying long-distance, high-altitude, flying over water, flying at night, flying very tight to get close-up shots of roofs and sidings for inspection I could feel and hear my heartbeat but gradually developed a lot of confidence.  Taking off used to be scary.  Am I sure everything is going to work?  Now, everything I fly, I take-off making sure it's stable for 1-2 seconds after Ready to go, then just go.
2019-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 10-21 00:04
Most likely so, but it could hurt DJI if they do it is the thing or any company that does it.  The only way people would not leave is if they are loyal or the camera tech is so much better than flying out far is not needed.  You can still get those undetected shots; it's just you need to do it with technology that is old enough to have no governors.

I've ordered the Skydio 2.  They've pulled the preorder link when I first got the e-mail, so many people didn't see it.  Skydio is backordered for at least 1 good year.  I'm getting the first batch and should be able to compare.  I've ordered more DJI products though.  It doesn't mean DJI is garbage.  Some people will miss the winter aerial filming if they wait for the Skydio 2.  Also, Skydio 2 could have flaws.

I go through the same feelings with any new drone,  especially the first but also its replacement.  Both M2P.s
2019-10-21
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

The DAC and the FAA are trying to figure out what to do with the altitude from ground up to 400'. Helicopters need that airspace too and so do drones naturally. So that is one to figure out for the brainiacs. That is still NOT on their agenda and needs to be taken care of soon with these deliveries starting up already.
2019-10-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-21 00:25
I go through the same feelings with any new drone,  especially the first but also its replacement.  Both M2P.s

When I got the M2P the first time, I was flying it day one like the M2Z.
2019-10-21
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

thanks for sharing
2019-10-23
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Japan

existing technology can easily push the height & distance limit beyond imagination and drone manufacturers have to limit or downgrade the limit specially height   to smoothly market their product in the different countries. On the other hand more and more paranoia forming in the government side about the drones  abilities , believe me majority ,who drafting  those rules and regualtions ,never even own a drone in his/her life.
Anyway,  what ever the incoming outcome,there will be always antibiotics in the market ,someone breaks the code to let you fly as you like.   
2019-11-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

400ft doesn't seem so high, but a bunch of aircraft is flying at 200ft, and there are no DJI restrictions there.  If people are far out enough at 400ft to not notice, a collision could occur.  When I spot aircraft in the area I'm flying; I duck down as low as I can until they leave.  With drones, it's easy because you can stay in 1 spot, but with FPV wings, you can't, but I don't fly in areas where they are anyway.  The drones that came out after the P4 have a newer Geo Zone system.  If you have an M2 w/ firmware 1.00, you can unlock NFZ with NLD.  If you have older drones, you can unlock NFZ.  The future drones should be better than what we have today that when they become popular enough, you can't remove the governed limits.  The old systems w/ the drones today and older, you can.  Some people don't even bother upgrading to new firmware and use old DJI App Mods that work where they have force boosted FCC to the transmission maximum possible wattage the chipset can offer and unlocked all the restrictions which are the videos you see on youtube of people flying 4000km+ up in the air.  It's either the FCC boost or antenna mods like Alientech, but you can't do both as they've said, don't do it otherwise something might fry.
2019-11-1
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

ANTdx316 u do the same boost mods and other goodies too so why blast about it? Its like "hey me yea im the guy right here" smh
2019-11-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 11-1 18:17
ANTdx316 u do the same boost mods and other goodies too so why blast about it? Its like "hey me yea im the guy right here" smh

I didn't boost the M2 nor did I remove any of the NFZ and battery/wind limits as I'm worried something could bust.  I fly safely but there are those who don't which is why they want to limit the users otherwise if there is no limit, any novice user would want to explore the limits.  You hear and see people who crash new cars on race tracks because they can w/o skill and knowledge.  People getting paralyzed on ATVs, motorcycles, etc.  Because they could w/o limits.  Now when people can't afford to do certain things, it's like having drone limits.

Companies adding speed limit governors to cars such as 155mph so the insurance wouldn't be so high.  The real secret could be that the tires that come on the vehicles are rated for 168mph.  It would cost More money to have higher rated tires on them from the factory.

Having an over motor speed limit is good otherwise it would cook something.  The other problem with boosting is people would interfere with certain important radio frequencies.  The less, the better but not everything can be contained.
2019-11-1
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 11-1 18:17

ant is our resident "know it all" and "attention whore"
2019-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules