807 9 2019-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

......I have a serious issue with getting muddle up with the sticks, 2 or 3 times per battery, if not more.
Yesterday however, it got the better of me, i was parctising in atti, lord knows, i need it, and i struck a tree.
Some of you know where i fly, 90% of my flying is open, flat farmland, no dwellings for at least 2 miles.
I take off right next to a tree so we know to leave that alone, been close a few times i admit.
The next nearest tree is a small copse about 2-300m away, large field inbetween and it was that field i was
faffing about over. I then went to have a look at the swans taking off on the river, near the trees, that was my
1st mistake, second was forgetting i was in atti, third was forgetting sensors were off. I was watching the drone
at 1st, then stupidly looked down at the screen, saw the trees a lot closer than i thought, so stopped, drone
kept on forward (even had a tailwind of about 10mph lol), mate said stop, dont do anything, at that point i saw
on the screen how i'd gone into the trees and should be able to back straight out as there was nothing to impede
that, well, nothing happen that i could see other than things getting worse and i couldnt understand why, then
it clicked, my left thumb was doing the work, sadly that was altitude adjustment and by the time i clicked it was pretty
much too late, i was going in and that it did, she hit a branch, i looked up but couldnt see where it hit as id lost it then

Mate said he watched it all happen and knew where, 1st i thought it stopped in a branch, i didnt see the tumble
on screen as i was looking for it, second i thought the copse was over the river, no easy access, i was ready with
my phone to list the remainding gear on ebay.....

Drove the car down the short track to it, and all the while me saying it was over the river, stuck in on of the trees
but my mate was adamant that it was this side of the river and that it had fell to the ground, and there it was, upside
down on a soft bed of old nettles, only damage was 1 prop, amazed, it dropped from about 20-30ft.

When i thought it was on a branch, it was already on the ground upside down, camera pointing up, i thought it was
the branches i was seeing was the other way up lol

Prior to leaving the house, during a clean up of the drove, ive notice a crack in the shell where no crack should occur
as its not a stress point, since cleaning it again after this episode, theres a hairline crack/splt pretty much starting one
end of the leg to the other, i mean from compass connecto to the other compass connector, i dont know if that was
there before today as i didnt need to clean the legs that morning, doing turtle meant that it didnt hit the legs but thats
not to say that it didnt hit the legs on the branch/es so cant rult that out, but the one i found during the clean before
i left was deffo pre crash, its only a cm long hiarline but with that and my batteries and the many hairlines priot to the
crash in the legs, all over them both and even the props, the plastic is absolutley terrible, i am wondering if its even UV
tollerant????

The prob broke in the hub structure itself, not the outside of it, but from 2 of the ilse of man symbles, i will add an image
later. I can understand props breaking, i have no issues with that, its where it broke, its a little unnerving to say the least.

PS,  i forgot to add it, had i not been in atti mode it could have been saved, my mate said stop dont do anything, just before
it hit, i ignored and tried to back out, that was ignore number one, he then said it again, because it hit the 1st branch but then it
recovered from that and just hovered, i think panic mode set in at this point because it wasnt doing what i wanted it to and that
was back straight out, stupid thuumbs, and no, swapping them over doesnt help, thats even worse lol
2019-10-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Who’s fault is that, “friend”? ;-)

Only pilot error. But then the drone responded beautifully to your wrong stick input.

All was well, until you “DumbThumbed” the stick.
Don't leave us guessing, post the flight LOG.

RedHotPoker

2019-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

For Apple: https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... logs-from-itunes.29

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

RedHotPoker

2019-10-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No log needed, I hit a tree through my own mistake, I thought it might be more lively in here with a lower level of stupid compare to the normal we've been having lately lol but also venting about the plastic, for a 1400 quid drone you would have thought it would be stronger, sadly its just as bad as the battery plastic, unlike the mavic, that looks more durable...
2019-10-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I am so sorry for your problem Bashy, it really could happen to any of us when flying and well illustrates many points, not least of which is VLOS, and of course these things are not toys despite what many believe. Have you yet decided upon what you are going to do with the craft?
2019-10-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel like I’m going to break my P4P just by holding it.  It’s actually quite fragile compared to the other DJI quads I own.
2019-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Maybe buy a cheap $30 drone to practice atti mode
2019-10-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 10-22 03:49
I am so sorry for your problem Bashy, it really could happen to any of us when flying and well illustrates many points, not least of which is VLOS, and of course these things are not toys despite what many believe. Have you yet decided upon what you are going to do with the craft?

Luckily it was vlos for sure, well, for my spotter, i wasnt wearing the goggles either, 4 batteries worth and they stayed in their case.  It was only a few hundred meters at most. Would have been a different story had it been bvlos im sure.

Do you mean a new shell? I think i will send it in at some stage, get some new legs and a shell overhaul, but not yet, i just wish the plastic on the drone at least was more durable, batteries are bad enough but on such an expensive item you would have thought it would last longer, my legs have had hairline cracks in them for a long while now, this was prior to any mishap, i did a thread on them, i have a feeling now that those came about in the D1 backpack, it is a tight when its fully loaded, so could be stress from that, impossible they are from hand catching, the cracks dont sit right with that notion as some thought it was.....
2019-10-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 04:26
Maybe buy a cheap $30 drone to practice atti mode

I have flown this for the last what, 3 years now, if i cannot get past the thumb confusion by now, its never gonna happen lol
2019-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Lefty loosely, righty tightly. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2019-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now