Colors not right
1783 25 2019-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

I am using the Mavic 2 Pro and shooting in RAW. I am experienced in photography. I am having trouble getting some colors accurate in my stills using the drone. Is there some setting I am not aware of that might help get better colors?
2019-10-21
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

i must say i'm not that hyped over m2p colours, too. it's nice to pop out that greens etc, but more choice for more neutral settings would be nice (as video, aa photo). i guess this is where dji baked that "hassellblad" look in colour science (even in raw).
2019-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Greyback. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to post some sample photos of the said issue for us to see and to be able to assist you further? Thank you.
2019-10-21
Use props
bikelike
lvl.2
Netherlands

Curious to see some examples.
2019-10-21
Use props
bikelike
lvl.2
Netherlands

And I am curious how you like the jpegs. I will compare them as soon as I have both (till now only shot RAW).
2019-10-21
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

This is a cranberry bog at harvest. The berries should like closer to red than the color fushia. Slightly pink not too red would be better.

2019-10-21
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom. Any color can be changed to one's liking. You could easily create a preset to process any images you deem similar.
2019-10-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Greyback Posted at 10-21 13:22
This is a cranberry bog at harvest. The berries should like closer to red than the color fushia. Slightly pink not too red would be better.

[view_image]

White balance issue?

FWIW I always shoot using the True Color profile as the Normal profile boosts greens in video (at least on the original Mavic Pro). Technically, this should have nothing to do RAW files but, and again, at least on the original Mavic Pro, it's been shown that some video color profiles can affect RAW file output, maybe something similar is going on here.
2019-10-22
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 10-22 03:31
I shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom. Any color can be changed to one's liking. You could easily create a preset to process any images you deem similar.

Thanks. I do shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom. I have been doing that for years now.  When using my Nikon DLSR, I have no problems, just seeing this in my M2 Pro.
2019-10-22
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 10-22 06:44
White balance issue?

FWIW I always shoot using the True Color profile as the Normal profile boosts greens in video (at least on the original Mavic Pro). Technically, this should have nothing to do RAW files but, and again, at least on the original Mavic Pro, it's been shown that some video color profiles can affect RAW file output, maybe something similar is going on here.

Thanks. I will check that out.
2019-10-22
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 10-22 06:44
White balance issue?

FWIW I always shoot using the True Color profile as the Normal profile boosts greens in video (at least on the original Mavic Pro). Technically, this should have nothing to do RAW files but, and again, at least on the original Mavic Pro, it's been shown that some video color profiles can affect RAW file output, maybe something similar is going on here.

When I go into my drone I only see a normal profile. There is no option for True Color. Suggestions?
2019-10-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Greyback Posted at 10-23 14:48
When I go into my drone I only see a normal profile. There is no option for True Color. Suggestions?

Huh, maybe it doesn't exist for Mavic Pro 2 models? You see the other color profiles, right?
2019-10-23
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Greyback Posted at 10-23 14:48
When I go into my drone I only see a normal profile. There is no option for True Color. Suggestions?

Shooting DNG, there should be no color profile, I think that is the point of shooting RAW to begin with.

I typically find that adding contrast in post seems to help get colors more to my liking with the M2P both in video and photo modes.
2019-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Greyback Posted at 10-22 16:06
Thanks. I will check that out.

I agree with ex machina WB is your problem, colour IMO on M2 is one of its strongest capabilities for such a small unit .
2019-10-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 10-23 15:18
Shooting DNG, there should be no color profile, I think that is the point of shooting RAW to begin with.

I typically find that adding contrast in post seems to help get colors more to my liking with the M2P both in video and photo modes.

Correct, it should have no impact, but, and again at least on the original Mavic Pro models, it does.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-94609-1-1.html
2019-10-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Any chance you have a filter on MP2 Pro camera, which might be shifting color spectrum?
2019-10-23
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What are the settings for this photo? Anyway, without providing access to original file no one skilled enough will be able to come up with conclusive advice. Please download to whatever cloud storage and supply the link.
2019-10-23
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 10-23 20:24
What are the settings for this photo? Anyway, without providing access to original file no one skilled enough will be able to come up with conclusive advice. Please download to whatever cloud storage and supply the link.

That is the original DNG file. No filters used. WB was on AUTO. I only looked at the color profile options later in settings, it show one profile and no way to unselect it.

EXIF: 1/120 f4 ISO 100
2019-10-24
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 10-23 19:47
Any chance you have a filter on MP2 Pro camera, which might be shifting color spectrum?

no filters used.
2019-10-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Greyback Posted at 10-24 16:12
That is the original DNG file. No filters used. WB was on AUTO. I only looked at the color profile options later in settings, it show one profile and no way to unselect it.

Can't be.  DNG file is of several MB size, way above maximum 2MB allowed to publish within post on this forum.
2019-10-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

That is the original DNG file. No filters used. WB was on AUTO. I only looked at the color profile options later in settings, it show one profile and no way to unselect it.

Huh, here's what the camera settings look like on my Go 4:

dji_settings.png

dji_profiles.png
2019-10-25
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is the original DNG file. No filters used. WB was on AUTO. I only looked at the color profile options later in settings, it show one profile and no way to unselect it.

I never shoot on auto white balance with M2P.  Choose something?  I think the little drone has better colors than some of my expensive cameras.  Hope you get it figured out!
2019-10-25
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 10-25 11:01
I never shoot on auto white balance with M2P.  Choose something?  I think the little drone has better colors than some of my expensive cameras.  Hope you get it figured out!

I am trying the other WB to see what is better. I typically don't worry about it since I adjust WB in Lightroom.
2019-10-25
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 10-25 00:57
Can't be.  DNG file is of several MB size, way above maximum 2MB allowed to publish within post on this forum.

You are right. I uploaded a jpg by mistake.
2019-10-25
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 10-25 05:20
Huh, here's what the camera settings look like on my Go 4:

[view_image]

I was giving the EXIF from the file. My screen on the M2P are similar except I choose RAW for image format and with color I only have "normal" as an option.
2019-10-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Greyback Posted at 10-25 16:56
I was giving the EXIF from the file. My screen on the M2P are similar except I choose RAW for image format and with color I only have "normal" as an option.

Huh, options other than Normal may only show when jpg or raw+jpg is set, something I couldn't test without having Go 4 actually hooked up to the AC.
2019-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules