M2P photogrammetry test
1140 9 2019-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

Was little postponing this (but it was one of my intersest when buying m2p), but yesterday i give a shot.

So, procedure was:
1) take multiple photos of the object (old church) with Pix4D (free app), bacically one circle oround the object, about 40 images. I used ipad pro 12.9 with controller,

2) make 3d points cloud / mesh, done with Metashape (there's free trial option),
3) import cloud points in Archicad (fully licensed), where i just for test draw some walls, according to points of facade.

I must say i'm impressed, specialy this is my first try and conditions were not great for photgrammetry, since it wasn't cloudly, where you need even light and it was really strong wind at times, i couldn't belive m2p could cope with that (i know drone well and location is remoted, so i was prepared) and get sharp photos.. I did two run for pictures, at 1st one i set altitude too high (about 50m), second was much better (about 35m), since it reveals more view from side of the building.
Everything went smooth and simple, i just set the trajectory- circle oround the object (location is found via gps in app), alitude, set drone speed, picture overlaping etc, press start and that's was it. Everything is done automaticaly, even lifting, landing and dawnloading images from the drone (wirelessly).

Now, if i combine also interier shots (with all that apas etc i don't think it would be big problem for m2p to do interior in open, wide space, only gps data wouldn't be received probably), i can basically take whole shape at quite good accuracy (i woud say something like +- 5-10 cm, but i think if i try to learn a bot more, i could do better).

Anyway, i'm quite happy, i could do so much things with this little guy..

cloudtest-01.JPG
cloudtest-02.JPG
2019-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day izotop. Thank you for sharing these information and your experience in taking these beautiful photos. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-10-21
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

actually, this aren't photos, they're 3d points ;)  thnx.

2019-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

That's pretty good,  have you tried the free trial of Dronedeploy, they have a structures mode that will do this too.
2019-10-21
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

i don't think drone deploy is free any more (it was in beta before that, i think), i have it loaded on my phone (there's no option for ios, i think, it's much better to use this on tab, so far  i only have ipad) , but i gues trial is out. it have some really nice features, but it's subscription based i think, which i would probably buy in case of regular use, which i don't.
there is aeroranger, which is free so far, i might give it a go for test..
2019-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

izotop Posted at 10-22 01:11
i don't think drone deploy is free any more (it was in beta before that, i think), i have it loaded on my phone (there's no option for ios, i think, it's much better to use this on tab, so far  i only have ipad) , but i gues trial is out. it have some really nice features, but it's subscription based i think, which i would probably buy in case of regular use, which i don't.

They have a 14 day free trial and it works on IOS.  10minute email can be useful for this.
2019-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

izotop Posted at 10-22 01:11
i don't think drone deploy is free any more (it was in beta before that, i think), i have it loaded on my phone (there's no option for ios, i think, it's much better to use this on tab, so far  i only have ipad) , but i gues trial is out. it have some really nice features, but it's subscription based i think, which i would probably buy in case of regular use, which i don't.

Not to be confused with Dronelink which just came out of beta.
2019-10-22
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

sorry, i mistaken dronedeploy with droneharmony (this one was in beta til recently it it have option for 3d route planing and all that). i have installed all of them on my phone, i think, but did go with pix4d, which i have on ipad. i might try drone deploy, too, i just don't like subscription model too much. i have no problem paying for something if it's good, but i would like to consider it's mine after that, no just renting out..

p.s. if anyone is interested in this, here is some review of some known apps for photogrammetry (route planning etc):

check his channel, it's one of the best if not the best i found on youtube, about technical aspects of photogrammetry, piloting, weather conditions etc.
2019-10-22
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

izotop Posted at 10-22 02:30
sorry, i mistaken dronedeploy with droneharmony (this one was in beta til recently it it have option for 3d route planing and all that). i have installed all of them on my phone, i think, but did go with pix4d, which i have on ipad. i might try drone deploy, too, i just don't like subscription model too much. i have no problem paying for something if it's good, but i would like to consider it's mine after that, no just renting out..

p.s. if anyone is interested in this, here is some review of some known apps for photogrammetry (route planning etc):

Interesting i subscribed to both the thread and that person's youtube channel.
2019-10-22
Use props
izotop
lvl.4

Slovenia

yes, his videos etc are gold.
2019-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules