Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
That old chestnut stereo recording on Osmo Pocket
1038 11 2019-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheCameraLens
lvl.3
United States

I know lack of stereo recording has been covered many times when referring to the DJI Audio Adapter, but I was wondering if anybody knew if the limitation is with the adapter itself? I am wondering if a third party could come out with a mic that plugged directly into the USB C port and gave stereo sound, or if the issue is hardware/firmware related within the Osmo Pocket itself. I am thinking that there are mics that plug directly into a lightning socket, why not one that plugs directly into the USB C socket?
2019-10-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Difficult to tell.
Looking at a YouTube video where someone took an adapter apart and me tracing the serial number of the ADC it appears to be a Texas Instruments Burrs Brown chip that has the capability of up to four discreet audio channels that can be used in a number of ways depending on how it is wired and firmware updated. I downloaded a pdf of the specifications of the chip. It's high quality and is very adaptable.
The Osmo Pockets internal mics appear at first listening, to be separate, but mixed together somehow. There are times when I get sound sources below me and at the front that almost seem stereo but don't quite sound correct.
This could be a part of the wind reduction option within the Pocket that has caused this. I've no idea but something went wrong for the stereo imaging at that point.
I strongly suspect that if DJI don't do something about that side of things that no alteration to either the current adapter or any future third party option will give true stereo. Honestly I've tried spacing two mono mics on the same jack at odd angles and getting them further apart. I've tried different ways of wiring the jack and anything in between and so far nothing. It's like trying to play one of the first vinyl stereo records with a modern stylus and cartridge. It can't be done because the recording was made using a left right + pattern in the groove and a modern recording uses an x pattern. Maybe it is the wiring inside between the chip and USB-C plug, maybe it is purely firmware incorporated. It's hard to know the specifics without the information as to what was done.

I also don't think DJI ever expected the Pocket user to want a true stereo output from the pocket or the mic positioning would have been set in the corners at 45 degrees to each other. The positioning of the mics infers sound cancellation due to the phase differences that configuration would give with a bit of tweaking, and that is what we got.
One part of me thinks this will never be on DJI's agenda but another part of me hopes it is.
So, to be short. I think it is in part the adapter but also the Osmo Pocket itself.
2019-10-21
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.3
United States

Yeah I remember you telling me you had checked into the ADC before. I just wish there was a way to easily get high quality stereo into a native recording and not have to worry about trying to sync in post. I guess the lack of true stereo is why they also didn't include a way to monitor the sound. It would be too obvious on headphones. Maybe the next version will have everything that is missing from the original. A stereo tripod mount that allows you to change the battery via WiFi!!!
2019-10-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

TheCameraLens Posted at 10-21 13:57
Yeah I remember you telling me you had checked into the ADC before. I just wish there was a way to easily get high quality stereo into a native recording and not have to worry about trying to sync in post. I guess the lack of true stereo is why they also didn't include a way to monitor the sound. It would be too obvious on headphones. Maybe the next version will have everything that is missing from the original. A stereo tripod mount that allows you to change the battery via WiFi!!!

Agreed, as the audio quality itself is fine. In fact better than my DSLR for auto leveling. We still can't give up hope though. This type of fix if it's possible is probably not easy to change once the original parameters were set. I think it shows in the updates that are getting longer and longer between releases. The project team are probably more busy with newer stuff.
2019-10-21
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.3
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-21 15:01
Agreed, as the audio quality itself is fine. In fact better than my DSLR for auto leveling. We still can't give up hope though. This type of fix if it's possible is probably not easy to change once the original parameters were set. I think it shows in the updates that are getting longer and longer between releases. The project team are probably more busy with newer stuff.

Hopefully they read this forum and know what the customers want and will address the issues. I won't be holding my breath, but I can live in hope. Just imagine how good a product this could be if all the suggestions were incorporated? I think a hyperfocal option would be really useful too to get the best focus when AFC or AFS don't cut it. It would be great for night landscape shots etc.
2019-10-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

TheCameraLens Posted at 10-21 15:18
Hopefully they read this forum and know what the customers want and will address the issues. I won't be holding my breath, but I can live in hope. Just imagine how good a product this could be if all the suggestions were incorporated? I think a hyperfocal option would be really useful too to get the best focus when AFC or AFS don't cut it. It would be great for night landscape shots etc.

Yes, agreed. I had an odd experience today with object tracking. The gimbal was spooked by something and violently swung to the left a few times. Possibly caused by focus hunting.  
2019-10-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

I think the only way to get decent sound in conjunction with the Pocket is to use an external sound system.  That doesn't have to be unweildy - see
2019-10-21
Use props
DaScorpi0n
lvl.1

New Zealand

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-21 17:07
I think the only way to get decent sound in conjunction with the Pocket is to use an external sound system.  That doesn't have to be unweildy - see https://youtu.be/fdEQiQ6tq0s

That sounded phenomenal! I've heard binaural audio before, but never knew you could purchase an IEM that has microphones on each earpiece. I am blown away with how great that sounds!

I have just purchased an Osmo Pocket myself, and do find the lack of quality from the built in microphone/s rather annoying. I understood before I even purchased it that the mic was going to be bad, so I thought I could grab an external mic to go along with the Pocket, and I'd be fine.

That idea is proving to be difficult, haha! For what I want to record (rather loud noises; air shows, shooting ranges), I feel like stereo would be the best for me, but I'd rather not have multiple devices, like a separate sound recorder. It's not that I wouldn't be able to get them to work, its just more things I'd need to purchase, let alone carry along with the Pocket.

I might look at getting something more professional later in the future, but for now is there anything out there that would be great to record either faux stereo, or omnidirectionally directly into the Pocket?
2019-10-21
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.3
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-21 17:07
I think the only way to get decent sound in conjunction with the Pocket is to use an external sound system.  That doesn't have to be unweildy - see https://youtu.be/fdEQiQ6tq0s

That was impressive for sure. I have a Zoom H2 but I haven't tried using it in the field like that. I mostly am looking for a way to record a stereo music track into the Osmo Pocket of backing music that I am playing guitar over. So I am hoping to get a complete stereo mix recorded. I can do it with the H2 and sync later but I was hoping to find a way to avoid the sync step.
Do you have more info on the Roland mics? They sounded great in binaural on my headphones.
2019-10-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-CS ... tors/dp/B003QGPCTE?

There are loads of samples of audio etc from this in-ear mics on YouTube and Soundcloud etc.

2019-10-23
Use props
TheCameraLens
lvl.3
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-23 05:40
https://www.amazon.com/Roland-CS ... tors/dp/B003QGPCTE?

There are loads of samples of audio etc from this in-ear mics on YouTube and Soundcloud etc.

The Amazon description is confusing as it makes it seem like they are wireless mics, but looking at a YouTube video they are described as having two plugs. I'm assuming the Amazon description is wrong. Is that the case?
I may have to get a pair of these to use with my DSLR as that can use an external stereo mic. Thanks for the info.
2019-10-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Cut and paste Roland CS-10EM into the Amazon search box and you'll see some other offers with better descriptions - I admit I didn't even read that rubbish about wireless.
2019-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules