Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus fixed in SloMo ?
2280 18 2019-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
First Officer
United Kingdom

On my last outing, I used the OP in SloMo only.   On playing the clips back it appears that the focus remained fixed at the distance at the start of the clip.  This is the same whether I went from close to distance or visa versa.  Focus Mode was AFC.
The result is that the start of the clip is in sharp focus but as I pan to a more distant area the image is still at the close focus distance and unusable.

Am I missing something?

UPDATE

I've just tried this again and in SloMo the focus definitely holds at the start focus.   Maybe I have a setting wrong but I can't think which one it could be.

2019-10-25
Use props
John Walker
First Officer
United Kingdom

I find it hard to believe that nobody else here is experiencing this!
2019-10-26
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

Haven't fooled with slomo. Have you experimented with other focus settings?
2019-10-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 10-26 12:56
I find it hard to believe that nobody else here is experiencing this!

I use Slow-mo quite a bit but mainly from a static position at either objects some distance or the movement is at a tangent to where I'm standing. It's not unusual though for a camera shooting higher than usual fps to lock focus at the first focus distance though it can and sometimes does wander of its own accord.
2019-10-26
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I always use "touch focus" in slow motion and it definitely works while recording. Never left it to auto focus though...
2019-10-27
Use props
John Walker
First Officer
United Kingdom

Here's the scenario.  I was filming a small creature on the ground close up and then wanted to pan up to show it's location.  The focus was perfect at the start but as I panned up to show the location it remained in the close-up focus state.  I used SloMo for a smooth pan.
2019-10-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 10-28 10:20
Here's the scenario.  I was filming a small creature on the ground close up and then wanted to pan up to show it's location.  The focus was perfect at the start but as I panned up to show the location it remained in the close-up focus state.  I used SloMo for a smooth pan.

Hi John.
Unfortunately, the closer you get to a small object the narrower your depth of field will become and comes under macro work where ideally you would need an aperture of f8 or above on a small sensor (Full frame sensor would need at least f22 and loads of light) and we have a fixed aperture of f2 to work with. Even if the focus was tracking well it probably wouldn't look that good. Also as you get closer as I'm sure you will have noticed, small movements get exaggerated and trembly hence I suspect your effort to use the slow-mo to try to reduce the effect.  It's hard enough to get stills in focus at these distances let alone video so don't feel too bad it didn't work. I tried filming a two inch tortoise at close proximity and only managed to get his nose in focus while the eye was well out of focus at close range and any movement made a different part come into focus which would be normal  for such a shallow depth of field. You may have slightly better luck if you use a wide angle lens adapter but in all honesty at close focusing distances it's still hard to achieve. I don't know if there is a macro lens adapter for the Osmo Pocket or not but that would only allow you focus closer and possibly make focusing even harder.
2019-10-28
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

the regular

John Walker Posted at 10-28 10:20

You are right, AFC does not work once you start the recording in slow motion. For some reason it functions like AFS and you can only pull focus manually by using the touchscreen (on the OP or the phone via cable/wifi adapter).

Unlike the regular video mode where AFC actually works, the focusing square does not show up when recording slow motion either...

Since AFC option is still there, and it functions up until you hit the record button, I reckon this is a bug... If not, then leaving that option in the menu is
2019-10-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-29 01:03
You are right, AFC does not work once you start the recording in slow motion. For some reason it functions like AFS and you can only pull focus manually by using the touchscreen (on the OP or the phone via cable/wifi adapter).

Unlike the regular video mode where AFC actually works, the focusing square does not show up when recording slow motion either...

Just a thought, but did you double tap the screen in slow-mo to activate the active track? Left to it's own devices it just uses face tracking which may not work.
2019-10-29
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-29 01:22
Just a thought, but did you double tap the screen in slow-mo to activate the active track? Left to it's own devices it just uses face tracking which may not work.

Unfortunately the bug is also present with Active Track. OP follows the selected object, but does not keep that object in focus. If you move away or get closer, the followed object falls out of focus and stays that way until you stop recording. Only when you stop recording autofocus kicks in and corrects the focus...   
2019-10-29
Use props
John Walker
First Officer
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-29 01:03
You are right, AFC does not work once you start the recording in slow motion. For some reason it functions like AFS and you can only pull focus manually by using the touchscreen (on the OP or the phone via cable/wifi adapter).

At last.  Someone who understands the problem .  As you say, it does seem to be a bug which I've not seen reported on here previously.
Now that I know it's not just me that is aware of this bug, I will avoid taking panned shots in slow-motion.

Many thanks CemAygun
2019-10-30
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

John Walker Posted at 10-30 16:21
At last.  Someone who understands the problem .  As you say, it does seem to be a bug which I've not seen reported on here previously.
Now that I know it's not just me that is aware of this bug, I will avoid taking panned shots in slow-motion.

Actually, many thanks to you John Walker for discovering the bug and bringing it to everyone's attention! Hopefully it would be fixed with a future update...

PS: I am curious whether it has always been this way or got broken with one of the updates...
2019-10-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 10-30 17:19
Actually, many thanks to you John Walker for discovering the bug and bringing it to everyone's attention! Hopefully it would be fixed with a future update...

PS: I am curious whether it has always been this way or got broken with one of the updates...

Is it a bug or a hardware limitation or both?
Remember you can't get an active track on 4K 60fps either. Possibly due to processing limits within the hardware. It could be that recording at four times the frame rate also causes similar problem but therefore should prompt the same warning that it is not available and does not. Pro Mode is also available in slow-mo mode but does nothing.
Either way I can confirm that is the behavior of the focus in either mode of AFC or AFC when recording Slow-mo and should be addressed by DJI because you do get an active tracking box showing that does shrink and grow with distance seemingly meaning it is focusing as well, but does not work in practice.
This has brought me to a second realisation. That active tracking just means it is capable of following a subject and doesn't actually mean it will actively focus on the subject while tracking, although in normal use it seems to be able to do that except with high resolution and frame rates or in this instance, in Slow-motion.
2019-10-31
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-31 01:45
Is it a bug or a hardware limitation or both?
Remember you can't get an active track on 4K 60fps either. Possibly due to processing limits within the hardware. It could be that recording at four times the frame rate also causes similar problem but therefore should prompt the same warning that it is not available and does not. Pro Mode is also available in slow-mo mode but does nothing.
Either way I can confirm that is the behavior of the focus in either mode of AFC or AFC when recording Slow-mo and should be addressed by DJI because you do get an active tracking box showing that does shrink and grow with distance seemingly meaning it is focusing as well, but does not work in practice.

Well, tracking is pointless if it does not pull the focus at the same time. That means you can only use it when the distance between your tracked subject and the camera stays the same; i.e. when they are only moving within their parallel 2D planes. I cannot see much use in that...

I checked the manual, and it also mentions having AFS or AFC as options (at least in the menu) with slow motion. So I am guessing it was intended to work.

And even if there is a hardware limitation, then AFC should not be available as an option here (as you said)...

Well, it would be nice to get this sorted out
2019-10-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

I don't disagree,
I just hadn't noticed despite using slow-mo a lot, but at greater distances where the initial focus distance doesn't make as much difference or is as noticeable.
Now I've noticed it will probably bug me a lot.  AFC in normal shooting modes works well so is a surprise that it doesn't in slow-mo and even more I hadn't noticed in my normal use of it.
2019-10-31
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 10-31 05:17
I don't disagree,
I just hadn't noticed despite using slow-mo a lot, but at greater distances where the initial focus distance doesn't make as much difference or is as noticeable.
Now I've noticed it will probably bug me a lot.  AFC in normal shooting modes works well so is a surprise that it doesn't in slow-mo and even more I hadn't noticed in my normal use of it.

Same here I always assumed AFC was just too slow in the slow motion mode, and used touch focus instead. Never noticed it was not working at all...
2019-10-31
Use props
Sammy55
lvl.1

Australia

I have same issue. In Slo Mo it does not focus and just keep focusing at closet subject.
2020-12-28
Use props
Sammy55
lvl.1

Australia

I have same issue. In Slo Mo it does not focus and just keep focusing at closet subject. I did not have this issue with my Osmo Pocket 1. But pocket 2 is full of Bugs.
1- Focus issue in Slo Mo
2- Active Tracking Horrible, gimbal movement not smooth as OP 1.
3-Mimo Keep disconnecting from Phone.
4-When using with DJI Extension Stick, it get hang and have to restart the gimbal again to control with Stick.
If issue not fixed soon with update soo, will return my unit for full refund and may buy again OP1.
2020-12-28
Use props
djiuser_VHi6FHAzO40T
lvl.1
Canada

The issues reported above are still there after the latest firmware update on the DJI pocket 2 as of March 12, 2021. AFC doesn't work in slo-mo, even if selected. You have to tap the screen to re-focus like with AFS.
2021-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules