Leaked image of Mavic 2 Pro +, renamed Mavic 3
2209 9 2019-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

According to the article (not new actually, more than two weeks old) DJI is about to launch what was thought to be Mavic 2 pro +, rebranded as Mavic 3, in early 2020. Perhaps as early as January.

If the leaks are true, then as something that was meant to be a "plus" over the existing Mavic 2 Pro, it's nothing revolutionary. So why are they rebranding it as Mavic 3? I guess everyone knows the answer.
https://www.halfchrome.com/mavic-3-not-mavic-2/

2019-10-30
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

TL;DR summary - it's a Mavic 2 with some improvements, of which the standouts are:
- Active Track 3.0 (inaugurated on Osmo Pocket)
- better image processing (something DJI was slammed for in Mavic 2 Pro as tarnishing the Hasselblad brand name)
- built in ADS-B
- Better APAS (however, I would not expect anything close to Skydio's OA if the hardware is the same)
- There will also be a Mavic 3 Zoom, also along the same lines - a 2+ rebranded as 3.
2019-10-30
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

A lot of speculation, we'll have to wait and see.
2019-10-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

S . P . E . C . U . L . A . T . I . O . N . S
Some websites can earn a living just by spreading those.
And commenting on other websites spreading those.
2019-10-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmm,  sounds like they were refreshing the mavic to get it to have ADS-B which is going to be a requirement in the future and took the opportunity to do some bigger marketing at the same time.
2019-10-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

interesting find.
2019-10-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why would they need a completely new drone for most of these things?  

Active track 3 can be packaged as an update.. gimbals that gotten active track 3.0 in an update.

Better image pipeline can be addressed in an update as well, I doubt DJI uses bespoke ASIC for addressing image signal processing on mavic 2 pro.. so an update can fix this.

ADS-B alleged Requirement isn’t retroactive, this means no need for it, and even so if DJI wishes to integrate it on existing drones they could virtually add it via software update.. plenty of free databases of current air traffic flight paths that DJI could tap into with the app fetching based on current location of the drone since it’s very aware of coordinates of the aircraft in the app and thus warn users of overhead aircraft.

All other stuff can be addressed without raping our wallets further as well.

2019-10-30
Use props
Sick Dawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

hope they add a better 20mp camera with a mech shutter for this upgrade like the p4p camera, doubt it though...
2019-10-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

A Mavic 3 should have at least a Micro 4/3" camera but then, their Inspire 2 X5S line would be in trouble.  They could make up the cost from people going to Skydio 2 though.  If they make a 1" Zoom and 4/3" Pro for Mavic 3, changing nothing else than just scaling up, it would work.  Skydio 2 is only 1 2/3".  The Inspire 2 is getting old and so are the cameras.

I think they are worried China wouldn't be able to deal with the US and other countries if war broke out and countries isolate the trading.  If tariffs grew larger it would be bad but if they stay where they are now, a drone camera upgrade would be profitable as a lot of photographers would upgrade and join the mix who don't fly at all.
2019-10-30
Use props
fans663583ad
lvl.2

United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-30 06:35
Why would they need a completely new drone for most of these things?  

Active track 3 can be packaged as an update.. gimbals that gotten active track 3.0 in an update.

I believe it is a "processing capacity" issue. The ability to capture distance, compute speed, deviate path, project alternate path, repeat ...all while going 35 MPH in an obstacle laden environment requires crazy fast processing and crazy advanced software to compliment it.

Conclusion, although the equipment to see obstacles is on board the Mavic 2, the Mavic 2 was given the ability to recognize an obstacle, then stop, then beep at you. No further processing required. Thus, it was given a processor to match the requirement. The goal of any manufacturer is to keep cost down and profits up or go out of business. We now demand better and it has been delivered...can DJI deliver a sub $1000 drone with the capability of Skydio 2 or will they try to do better. I wish them luck but tariffs will be a challenge. The government is picking the winners and losers by denying the market to one company while enabling the other, thus we don't have a truly "free market"...too bad, because competition works for the consumer.
2019-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules