Mavic Mini vs. Spark
1234Next >
50619 133 2019-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

I had a Spark on 2 holidays. Mainly used for quick video or selfie without phone, just with gestures becquse of time.

I sell Spark because i thought about new drone that should be better. But not.

Mavic Mini: no sensors, no tracking, no manual white balance in video, ...ty bitrate, no gestures?, no possibility to use without controller..

2019-11-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Would be cool if the Mavic Mini would be compatible with the Smart Controller. Do you think they will update that?
2019-11-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

MARTINEZX Posted at 11-2 06:04
I had a Spark on 2 holidays. Mainly used for quick video or selfie without phone, just with gestures becquse of time.

I sell Spark because i thought about new drone that should be better. But not.

Did you really use the Spark without controller?
2019-11-2
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

Yes, a very nice drone, on the paper on probably in the realty !
the first movies are very nice, colors seems fun (not artificial and not so colourless as with mavic pro 1)
2019-11-2
Use props
Luqman Herb
New

United Arab Emirates

Can any one help me out here.. I never flew one, I'm planning to buy one which fits my budget (spark / mavic mini). I waited for the mini release but it doesn't have the obstable sensors.
I'll be using the drone for family outing, selfies and some family videos.

Please let me know what do you guys think out there.

Waiting for the suggestions
2019-11-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Luqman Herb Posted at 11-2 09:10
Can any one help me out here.. I never flew one, I'm planning to buy one which fits my budget (spark / mavic mini). I waited for the mini release but it doesn't have the obstable sensors.

Obstacle avoidance isn't really necessary when you take care, fly in open areas and set your return to home settings correct. I never had the situation where I had to rely on the obstacle avoidance to avoid a crash.
2019-11-2
Use props
Luqman Herb
New

United Arab Emirates

UnlimiteDrone@gmail.com Posted at 11-2 10:13
Obstacle avoidance isn't really necessary when you take care, fly in open areas and set your return to home settings correct. I never had the situation where I had to rely on the obstacle avoidance to avoid a crash.

So mavic mini will be the better choice?
2019-11-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Luqman Herb Posted at 11-2 11:08
So mavic mini will be the better choice?

I say yes!
2019-11-2
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 10-31 16:51
Unfortunately this is not the case with the Mini. Versions are different at hardware level and they are not even compatible with each other (you cannot use one's remote with the other etc.)

Please check Post 11 from DJI Mindy...

Whoa, good catch there.  I was thinking in more general terms than specific to the MM.  That isn’t so good on the CE version of the MM.
2019-11-3
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

maihem.rc Posted at 11-3 14:47
Whoa, good catch there.  I was thinking in more general terms than specific to the MM.  That isn’t so good on the CE version of the MM.

Well one is not better than the other. If you have the CE version you are locked with low power transmission; but if you have the FCC version, you would be simply breaking the law if you turn it on some place else...
2019-11-3
Use props
RamonPoda
New

Slovenia

I will wait the "follow me" mode upgrade!
2019-11-4
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Cavids Posted at 11-1 19:19
I would think the follow mode was a software thing soo it could still come

It may be a software thing, but follow mode without a front sensor could spell disaster if you were near trees, etc.  I've decided, after being pretty hyped up, that for me to change from my Spark to the Mavic Mini just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  Although the foldability is appealing, the lack of full features doesn't do it for me.  If I were to upgrade, my next step might be Mavic Air, or the next higher technology launch of the Mavic line.  

I think if you were a new buyer, the Mini is perfect for you, but for those who have invested already in the Spark, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  
2019-11-4
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cravenfan Posted at 11-4 06:41
It may be a software thing, but follow mode without a front sensor could spell disaster if you were near trees, etc.  I've decided, after being pretty hyped up, that for me to change from my Spark to the Mavic Mini just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  Although the foldability is appealing, the lack of full features doesn't do it for me.  If I were to upgrade, my next step might be Mavic Air, or the next higher technology launch of the Mavic line.  

I think if you were a new buyer, the Mini is perfect for you, but for those who have invested already in the Spark, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I totally agree with you on going from a Spark to the MA.  Not busting on the MM, it will be a great entry level drone for sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed and on the edge of my seat for what they improve on the MA(2).
2019-11-4
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

maihem.rc Posted at 11-4 07:50
I totally agree with you on going from a Spark to the MA.  Not busting on the MM, it will be a great entry level drone for sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed and on the edge of my seat for what they improve on the MA(2).

Do you expect a new Mavic Air?
2019-11-4
Use props
fans852b9bb9
New
United States

Please add MANUAL MODE into the Mavic Mini please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2019-11-5
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UnlimiteDrone@gmail.com Posted at 11-4 17:26

Eventually, I certainly hope they make a new version of the MA.  I love it for travel.  While it doesn't necessarily need improvement, I would like to see it get about 8 more minutes of flight time and to be quieter.  That sound signature is loud compared to just about everything else.
They have the M2/Z and the Spark "replacement" MM done, hopefully they are working on improving the MA now/next.
2019-11-5
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-3 17:00
Well one is not better than the other. If you have the CE version you are locked with low power transmission; but if you have the FCC version, you would be simply breaking the law if you turn it on some place else...

Well, looks like the CE version is the one to have to have both options.  I did not previously understand that the FCC MM only had 5.8 option and not both.
2019-11-5
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 11-3 17:00
Well one is not better than the other. If you have the CE version you are locked with low power transmission; but if you have the FCC version, you would be simply breaking the law if you turn it on some place else...

Now I am just laughing at myself.  You sent me the exact post and I completely misread it.
2019-11-5
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

maihem.rc Posted at 11-5 10:43
Now I am just laughing at myself.  You sent me the exact post and I completely misread it.

No Problem I am hoping for some sort of a "global" version/revision which can switch between CE and FCC (like other DJI drones) in the future.
2019-11-6
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

CemAygun Posted at 11-6 00:46
No Problem  I am hoping for some sort of a "global" version/revision which can switch between CE and FCC (like other DJI drones) in the future.

I do not think DJI will bring a # Global # version.

In my opinion this multiple version system is DJI's answer to stop the fake GPS app users and the Moder and will probably also be applied to other new DJI birds.
2019-11-6
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

RBI Posted at 11-6 03:23
I do not think DJI will bring a # Global # version.

In my opinion this multiple version system is DJI's answer to stop the fake GPS app users and the Moder and will probably also be applied to other new DJI birds.

My understanding is that despite the warning, you can still launch the FCC Mini in a CE area , the app does not ground you. It is frowned upon of course.

So basically this system is worse, as you don't even need to fake your location as long as you have the FCC version. Significantly easier to use illegally...
2019-11-6
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

CemAygun Posted at 11-6 04:08
My understanding is that despite the warning, you can still launch the FCC Mini in a CE area , the app does not ground you. It is frowned upon of course.

So basically this system is worse, as you don't even need to fake your location as long as you have the FCC version. Significantly easier to use illegally...

Basically you are right.

Possibly maybe DJI has control over the market so that the FCC version can not be sold to the CE area because, e.g. the product has no CE mark?

EU Customs does not love imports without CE mark.
2019-11-6
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

I agree flight time is too short on spark.  Maybe there's some degradation in batts too - mine's over 2 years old.

But mm scores in portability.  

But some want RAW, others OA.

I want CSky.  - How it can't work when their app and android phones are ok is beyond me.

Seems 250 gm limit doesn 't offer much . Drone code still applicable, and possibly restrictions tightened again next year anyway.

But in spite of limitations, smaller, lighter, cheaper ,better gimbal and longer longer flight time is the future for me.

2019-11-6
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

RBI Posted at 11-6 05:49
Basically you are right.

Possibly maybe DJI has control over the market so that the FCC version can not be sold to the CE area because, e.g. the product has no CE mark?

I agree, I am sure they won't be selling FCC Minis (at least officially) in CE regions. When it comes to importing, some countries are very strict with drones. And you would be risking your warranty by buying an import instead of a local unit...

I don't think they would be bothering the casual traveller at the customs because he/she is carrying a FCC only drone though. Unless of course FCC Minis become blacklisted, which is a bit of a stretch
2019-11-6
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

CemAygun Posted at 11-6 15:15
I agree, I am sure they won't be selling FCC Minis (at least officially) in CE regions. When it comes to importing, some countries are very strict with drones. And you would be risking your warranty by buying an import instead of a local unit...

I don't think they would be bothering the casual traveller at the customs because he/she is carrying a FCC only drone though. Unless of course FCC Minis become blacklisted, which is a bit of a stretch

I think so too, Customs would not bothering the casual traveler.
Importing is a different story.
2019-11-6
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 11-6 15:15

I don't think they would be bothering the casual traveller at the customs because he/she is carrying a FCC only drone though. Unless of course FCC Minis become blacklisted, which is a bit of a stretch

You are right, can't really get a FCC drone in many parts of Europe
2019-11-6
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

UnlimiteDrone@gmail.com Posted at 11-2 07:41
Did you really use the Spark without controller?

Yes. On Crete and Italy. When you go to beautiful beach just with small bag and you dont have much time because all friends move faster, you dont have possibility to take all bags and no time for it. I bought spark without controller just to make quick shots like selfie ( for example Balos beach from top) or just using phone to aplly Dronie or Rocket. Now Mavic mini goes maxi, because you need controller and you need load battery in controller....

Dji said its entry level. So gestures and smartphone is this level. Not controller.
2019-11-7
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Luqman Herb Posted at 11-2 09:10
Can any one help me out here.. I never flew one, I'm planning to buy one which fits my budget (spark / mavic mini). I waited for the mini release but it doesn't have the obstable sensors.

Get the Mini.

The Spark is out of production, the wifi connection is weak (to put it politely) and it shoots only 1080p. In addition, the battery doesn't last much. The advantage is that it has anti-collision sensors on the front that can save the drone if you aren't careful.

Be sure to get DJI's replacement insurance.
2019-11-7
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

MARTINEZX Posted at 11-7 02:37
Yes. On Crete and Italy. When you go to beautiful beach just with small bag and you dont have much time because all friends move faster, you dont have possibility to take all bags and no time for it. I bought spark without controller just to make quick shots like selfie ( for example Balos beach from top) or just using phone to aplly Dronie or Rocket. Now Mavic mini goes maxi, because you need controller and you need load battery in controller....

Dji said its entry level. So gestures and smartphone is this level. Not controller.

Btw We travel by plane with small travel bag and cabin bag. If you want to take gimbal and drone and some chargers, etc... you dont have a space for extra controller too in 20x40 bag
2019-11-7
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

Spark or mini
https://youtu.be/zrmL4JuH7Hk

Now i prefer Spark. But if Dji add Active track/ follow and gestures like in Mavic Air ( 3 selfie mode) i will buy Mini
2019-11-7
Use props
Franktheone
lvl.1

Switzerland

MARTINEZX Posted at 11-7 02:46
Spark or mini
https://youtu.be/zrmL4JuH7Hk

Hmm, interesting
2019-11-7
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Poland

UnlimiteDrone@gmail.com Posted at 11-4 17:26

I'd expect it early next year looking at how they replaced the original Mavic Pro
2019-11-7
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

The next thing is: if Dji make smaller drone to match the new rules, why you cant use the smartphone as controller. In many countries you can't fly higher and longer than 100- 200 m
So you dont need controller.
2019-11-7
Use props
elijahjames
lvl.3

Algeria

The smartphone controller idea is great, I didn't know it was possible.

2019-11-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

MARTINEZX Posted at 11-7 07:46
The next thing is: if Dji make smaller drone to match the new rules, why you cant use the smartphone as controller. In many countries you can't fly higher and longer than 100- 200 m
So you dont need controller.

It's still a big difference, you can't control a drone as accurate with a smartphone as you can do it with a controller. Can't really compare that and I would never get a drone without a controller.
2019-11-8
Use props
sergio.flor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 798301 ft
Spain

Mavic mini will be a great drone but not for me. I have a spark and I have thought sell it and buy a mavic mini, but I use the track mode in the most of my flights. I like the action videos and the track mode is essential for me. I don't think that DJI add the track mode in the future. I would buy the mavic mini like second drone but not to replace  my spark.
2019-11-10
Use props
AndyW66
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20256 ft
Canada

Mini wouldn't replace my Spark unless it had the same panoramic presets (360, 180 etc) and follow me tracking capability, hopefully they'll introduce these features at some point. Any idea if they will?
2019-11-14
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

AndyW66 Posted at 11-14 04:34
Mini wouldn't replace my Spark unless it had the same panoramic presets (360, 180 etc) and follow me tracking capability, hopefully they'll introduce these features at some point. Any idea if they will?

Not sure but I  guess that they will add it.
2019-11-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a single mention of whether still photographs are better - and in which ways.

This would seem important!
2019-11-26
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

droneflyers.com Posted at 11-26 16:29
Not a single mention of whether still photographs are better - and in which ways.

This would seem important!

You are right, working on it. Do you expect better pictures?
2019-12-4
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules