So which countries allow to fly this 249g drone without permission?
10116 39 2019-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

249g weight is the biggest selling point of the Mavic mini.
But what countries actually you can just fly this thing without any permission?

Many countries require different permissions.
- Some require to register the drone.
- Some require a drone pilot license.
- Some require an areal permission to fly.
- Some require a filming permission to record areal video.

Korea requires an areal permission and filming permission to fly any drone.
I am not sure if Mavic mini can bypass any of the required permissions here.

So is your country works for Mavic mini?

2019-10-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Pretty sure the US requires registration of drones 250g+ and believe our other restrictions would not apply to the MM -- it would be nice to have a definitive list.
2019-10-30
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not in the UK as it carries a camera so you will need to register to fly it....
2019-10-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Surely, our valued DJI Forum members would provide their feedback with regard to this matter. Thank you for continued support!
2019-10-30
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Aerial-Image Posted at 10-30 08:10

Pretty sure UK requirement is purely >250g. Neither gov.uk nor dronesafe make reference to cameras for registration
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Either way i am sure i will get harrassed for flying it where ever i want to just because it is a drone. I am in the USA. I'm glad they put the weight on it and probably the reason they did so you can show the LEOs if needed.
2019-10-30
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Canada specifically calls out under 250g and makes it easy " If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly. " So, don't endanger anyone and have fun.
The US, unfortunately seems to be going the wrong direction.  The new law that congress passed makes no mention of the 55 lbs/250 g limit.  It groups everything under 0.55 lbs the same.  So, unfortunately, it seems no leeway in the US.  Previously, you didn't have to register if under the .55lb/250g mark, but even that wording seems to have gone away.  

Hopefully, as the FAA continues to make rules, they'll re-instate the 250g floor, but as of now,  that seems to be gone.
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-30 10:19
Canada specifically calls out under 250g and makes it easy " If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Always fly responsibly. " So, don't endanger anyone and have fun.
The US, unfortunately seems to be going the wrong direction.  The new law that congress passed makes no mention of the 55 lbs/250 g limit.  It groups everything under 0.55 lbs the same.  So, unfortunately, it seems no leeway in the US.  Previously, you didn't have to register if under the .55lb/250g mark, but even that wording seems to have gone away.  

Sorry to correct you but the less than 250g still applies > https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/
I'm from Missouri show me where this new law is.
2019-10-30
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I have a dumb question.  Trying to buy the Mini as my first drone but where I live it is considered a no fly zone.  I live in the US.  The airport is within 5 miles and the B4ufly app has a whole bunch of red circles.  Does the 249 weight of the Mini makes it legal for me to fly it at least in my backyard?  Would the DJI app let me fly it?  This so confusing.  Thanks.  
2019-10-30
Use props
tclough
lvl.2

United States

Take a look at this informative video that explains how the regulations in various countries are effected. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556
2019-10-30
Use props
tclough
lvl.2

United States

tclough Posted at 10-30 11:18
Take a look at this informative video that explains how the regulations in various countries are effected. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

Another thing to keep in mind is that, with a weight of 249 grams, any accessories you add will put it over 250 and require registration in most countries.
2019-10-30
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
United States

BobB Posted at 10-30 10:46
Sorry to correct you but the less than 250g still applies > https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

Yes, the registration site still does list the 250g/.55 lb as not requiring  registration (which i should have mentoined sorry and which probably is the best thing to go by.  However, the rest of the FAA's updated site makes no mention of that anymore:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/

The FAA re-authorization act that has been changing all the US rules (like no longer having/being able to call towers) can be found here :  https://www.congress.gov/115/plaws/publ254/PLAW-115publ254.pdf

In it, you will see that Congress very specifically says "   SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.—The    term    ‘small    unmanned  aircraft’  means  an  unmanned  aircraft  weighing  less  than  55  pounds,  including  the  weight  of  anything  attached  to or carried by the aircraft"

There is zero definition of the .55lb/250g weight.  However, the act does say (complete paraphrase here) that there is less risk for UAS under 4.4 lbs and there are economic and safety opportunities so the FAA should consider further rules to integrate UAS (particularly those under 4.4 lbs) that might allow exemptions to the current rules (VLOS, over people, night flights)
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-30 11:25
Yes, the registration site still does list the 250g/.55 lb as not requiring  registration (which i should have mentoined sorry and which probably is the best thing to go by.  However, the rest of the FAA's updated site makes no mention of that anymore:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/

Are you sure there were more references to it before in other places on the website? I stand behind my link until concrete proof is posted at the FAA site.. and yes i follow DAC and the FAA and Kevin Morris etc
I do however expect the FAA to change it up when people do crazy stuff with them and that won't be to long in the near future lol
2019-10-30
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
United States

BobB Posted at 10-30 11:30
Are you sure there were more references to it before in other places on the website? I stand behind my link until concrete proof is posted at the FAA site.. and yes i follow DAC and the FAA and Kevin Morris etc
I do however expect the FAA to change it up when people do crazy stuff with them and that won't be to long in the near future lol

Yes.  The FAA UAS page used to have the below text:

Before you fly outside you must:

Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
    Label your UAS with your registration number
    Read and understand all safety guidelines

You must be:

13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
    A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*

* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership).

To register, you'll need:

Email address
    Credit or Debit card
    Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

Register UAS that weigh less than 55 lbs. and more than 0.55 lbs. online

Register UAS that weigh more than 55 lbs. by paper

Label your UAS (PDF)
Safety Guidelines

Fly at or below 400 feet
    Keep your UAS within sight
    Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
    Never fly over groups of people
    Never fly over stadiums or sports events
    Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
    Never fly under the influence
    Be aware of airspace requirements

Additional Resources

Examples of UAS that do and do not require registration (PDF)
    Browse the geographic listing of sUAS registry enrollments and
    registrants (MS Excel)
    Review the UAS Registration FAQs to learn more about the program
    Read the Aircraft Registration Records System of Records Notice (PDF)

Questions about UAS Registration? Email UAShelp@faa.gov or call 877-396-4636 or international (703) 574-6777 from 10am-6pm EST, Monday through Friday.

2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-30 11:57
Yes.  The FAA UAS page used to have the below text:

Well i still haven't seen anything to substantiate that they changed it up except for it doesn't say this or that anymore......
2019-10-30
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
United States

BobB Posted at 10-30 12:14
Well i still haven't seen anything to substantiate that they changed it up except for it doesn't say this or that anymore......

Fair enough.  

I think it might be vague but as you pointed out there is probably an excellent case to be made (based upon the wording on the registration site) that you don't need to register a drone weighing under 250g.

The only problem is that only excludes you from registering, not following the laws.  As we noted, there is no reference to that weight in part 107, the now repealed, but still followed until replaced recreational 336, or the new FAA re-authorization act.

Did a little google search (since this wasn't in my saved documents folder) and the only place I could find a law/rule referencing the .55 limit was around registration. In the original discussion of the  2015 rule, the FAA actually specifically said that only registration was exempt and that they could still govern the use of the aircraft.  It's funny, because they then reference a paper airplane, unconnected (which isn't a UaS) at all, so even that text is a little "off".

The registration requirements in part 48 apply to small unmanned aircraft that are part of a small unmanned aircraft system and that satisfy the requirements to register in § 48.15 and the eligibility requirements in § 48.20. .... As discussed in this document, the FAA would continue to exercise enforcement discretion for aircraft that weigh less than 0.55 pounds, such as paper airplanes that are not linked to a system.

So, I may backtack on the need to register for recreational purposes the Mini in the US.  Maybe you don't need to register still.  But  I still believe that all other laws and rules apply, because there doesn't seem to be  anything anywhere that says otherwise.
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-30 12:56
Fair enough.  

I think it might be vague but as you pointed out there is probably an excellent case to be made (based upon the wording on the registration site) that you don't need to register a drone weighing under 250g.

They will change it up soon enough i think. Christmas is coming soon and the kids will be flying the Mini's all over this big blue marble planet and the FAA is not going to dig it lol
2019-10-30
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

I'm pretty sure that if MM becomes abundant enough, some authorities will just lower the limit to 200g or something...
2019-10-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

this is just my opinion but i believe faa did this to themselves.  right now, under 250 means registration only and nothing else.  but the de facto use will end up being people feel like you don't register = rules are relaxed.  faa will eventually lose the ability to control this and the normal use will dictate and set the stage.  if faa enforces, it will come off as a power grab.  it's starting to get a little old and tired talking about drones colliding with aircraft and then when you start to complain a tiny wifi kids drone might bring down an airline in your neighborhood, nobody is going to buy that even though we all know better and we know the rules.  i love it; brilliant dji. lol
no registration, no test, no laanc....recreational will be unleashed this christmas!
2019-10-30
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BobB Posted at 10-30 13:29
They will change it up soon enough i think. Christmas is coming soon and the kids will be flying the Mini's all over this big blue marble planet and the FAA is not going to dig it lol

I checked with the FAA directly when preparing my video.  They're very clear:
Flying as a hobbyist, you don't need to register sub 250 gm / 0.55 lb.
Flying under Pt 107, you do need to register.

In both cases, all other rules apply, meaning any YT video you see stating it's "under the radar of the FAA" etc is plain wrong.  See the FAA email confirmation below the video
Cheers, Ian

FAA.jpg
2019-10-30
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 10-30 11:05
I have a dumb question.  Trying to buy the Mini as my first drone but where I live it is considered a no fly zone.  I live in the US.  The airport is within 5 miles and the B4ufly app has a whole bunch of red circles.  Does the 249 weight of the Mini makes it legal for me to fly it at least in my backyard?  Would the DJI app let me fly it?  This so confusing.  Thanks.

All rules apply in the USA.  Your only exemption is the lack of requirement to register if a hobbyist.  
Canada on the other hand does specifically exempt sub 250 gm drones from both their registration and flying rules, but the FAA still apply all rules.
See post above.
CHeers
Ian
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

Ian in London Posted at 10-30 23:43

Your the one that i saw it from! Thanks Ian i was pulling my hair out on the 107 cert. So if you make money off the Mini then you need a 107 cert and register the Mini in your fleet.
2019-10-31
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BobB Posted at 10-31 00:34
Your the one that i saw it from! Thanks Ian i was pulling my hair out on the 107 cert. So if you make money off the Mini then you need a 107 cert and register the Mini in your fleet.

Ha!  Thanks  Bob!  Yep, But if it makes you smile, remember our equivalent to the 107 (PfCO) is way more painful and expensive....
2019-10-31
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wyke Posted at 10-30 08:30
Pretty sure UK requirement is purely >250g. Neither gov.uk nor dronesafe make reference to cameras for registration

There has been talk by EASA that when they revise the regulations for Europe (BREXIT or no BREXIT) that any drone, multirotor or fixed wing, that carries any form of data collection device, irrespective of the AUW, will require registration. These new regulations are due to come into force in June 2020.

Regards

Nidge.

31C06C54-7558-4627-BCC3-547A954DC01E.png
2019-10-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aerial-Image Posted at 10-30 08:10

In the UK the camera only means you can not fly within 50m of people, vehicles and buildings not in your control which covers DPA requirements. The need to register a drone and pass the RC pilot test on or after 30/11/19 with the UK CAA only applies to drones that weigh 250g or more and is not based on whether the drone has a camera. If you buy the Mavic Mini and don't add additional payloads to keep it at 249g you will not be legally required to register it as officially classified as a toy and not a UAV.

"The summary of responses and government decisions was released on 22 July 2017. The document:

details information on responses including the:
number of responses
types of bodies and person responding
overall results
gives the next steps to be taken by government to:
implement a registration scheme and mandatory competency tests for all users of drones weighing 250 grams and above
bring forward work to create an authoritative source of UK airspace data, which will facilitate the implementation of geo-fencing and build greater awareness of airspace restrictions amongst drone users
explore further measures such as increasing penalties, creating new offences and reviewing the powers available to law enforcement agencies to enforce relevant law"
2019-10-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wyke Posted at 10-30 08:30

That's correct - registration in the UK will be based on the weight of the drone (>250g) and has nothing to do with the drone having a camera.
2019-10-31
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

Ian in London Posted at 10-31 00:41
Ha!  Thanks  Bob!  Yep, But if it makes you smile, remember our equivalent to the 107 (PfCO) is way more painful and expensive....

No thank you for going to all the trouble for us so we didn't have to
2019-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not 100% sure yet here in NL as the new regulations (EU) are not yet implemented.
2019-10-31
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-30 14:01
I'm pretty sure that if MM becomes abundant enough, some authorities will just lower the limit to 200g or something...

Japan market version of Mavic Mini has smaller 1100mAh battery with 18min flight time and ONLY 199g.
This fell below of Japan's 199g hobby RC plane regulation and DJI smartly future proofed their product.
2019-10-31
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

In Canada the Mini is still restricted to fly outside NFZ
2019-10-31
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 10-30 11:05

Yep, you'll have restrictions and the mini will likely not take off. Weight doesn't matter in a NFZ. If the drone has GPS capability you won't be able to take off. As soon as you update the software on the drone, you see a RED banner on the device saying "cannot fly".

The other way you would be able to fly if flew a drone that doesn't have Geofencing capabilities.
2019-10-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

What happens when you throw prop guards on it and the weight goes over 250?
2019-10-31
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 10-31 05:26
What happens when you throw prop guards on it and the weight goes over 250?

Attaching any accessary on MM makes it no longer a under 250g drone.
2019-10-31
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Ian in London Posted at 10-30 23:43
[Image]

Great info!
So it would be beneficial for traveling purpose, at least no hassle for registration fee.
2019-10-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Tide Posted at 10-31 06:15
Attaching any accessary on MM makes it no longer a under 250g drone.

Probably including the sticker kit or a registration label
2019-10-31
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

BobB Posted at 10-30 10:46

The FAA Regulation does not apply to sub 250g drones.  The FAA link for Recreational drone flight exemption is for Rec flights for when the drone is 250g and over.  The FAA has been sued successfully over exactly this  and the courts have ruled that the FAA has no jurisdiction over sub 250g flights and their attempt to regulate anything simply because it occupies the airspace is "absurd".  The FAA has refused to include in its definition an explicit exemption for the sub 250g category- because of the courts ruling; of course they won't say this is why.  The FAA prefers to leave this area as 'grey' to act as a passive deterrent (or quiet intimidation is a better way to be truthful).  100% guarantee that WHEN (not IF) any Mavic Mini operator is fined under FAA rules, it will go to the courts (again) and the courts will rule against the FAA.
2019-11-6
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 11-6 15:55
The FAA Regulation does not apply to sub 250g drones.  The FAA link for Recreational drone flight exemption is for Rec flights for when the drone is 250g and over.  The FAA has been sued successfully over exactly this  and the courts have ruled that the FAA has no jurisdiction over sub 250g flights and their attempt to regulate anything simply because it occupies the airspace is "absurd".  The FAA has refused to include in its definition an explicit exemption for the sub 250g category- because of the courts ruling; of course they won't say this is why.  The FAA prefers to leave this area as 'grey' to act as a passive deterrent (or quiet intimidation is a better way to be truthful).  100% guarantee that WHEN (not IF) any Mavic Mini operator is fined under FAA rules, it will go to the courts (again) and the courts will rule against the FAA.

ya i think we discussed this at length here.
2019-11-7
Use props
djiuser_neYQpasxGA1O
New

United Kingdom

Wyke Posted at 2019-10-30 08:30

from 1.1.21 every drone with a camera has to be registered
2020-11-7
Use props
amattela
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6389350 ft
Belgium

maybe this can also help : https://www.drone-made.com/drone-laws
2020-11-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_neYQpasxGA1O Posted at 11-7 02:10
from 1.1.21 every drone with a camera has to be registered

No it doesn't IF the drone is classified as a toy. The easiest definition of a toy is if the drone is capable of being flown more than 400' in any direction of the remote controller. If, for example, you bought an RC 'tie fighter toy drone' that weighs <250g, will lose signal at <400' away from you and has a camera on it you will not need to register it. Only drones defined as not being a toy need to be registered from 31/12/2020. Both Mavic Mini's will therefore need to be registered as not toys from NYE but thats it and both may be flown in the A1 subcategory indefinitely as A1 legacy drones.
2020-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules