Mavic Mini + FAA Part 107?
7006 11 2019-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fallstand
lvl.1

United States

I can't seem to find a definitve answer on this. Do pilots need to test for a FAA Part 107 license to fly this drone commercially? Does the lack of FAA registration bypass the need for this?
2019-10-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

good question because the rules are a bit conflicting, as typical with regulations that dont actually need to be put into place there's huge grey area that will get filled in soon enough, prob change the rules to state "any drone with any form of camera" and remove the weight.  watch it happen...

currently though, im going to say no dont need to worry about registration or certification... because all rules keep stating 250 grams +  and part 107 while only applies to commercial use i believe is an attachment on top of base rules and base rules state 250 grams plus.
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

yes you will need a part 107 cert if using it for commercial.
2019-10-30
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

I think the rules are pretty clear if you read through all the FAA documentation.  In my opinion, there is no exemption from part 107 due to weight.  There used to be exemption from registration due to weight (and even that language has disappeared from the FAA guidance  EDIT - but not on the registration site as it was pointed out in an earlier thread),

I base my opinion on the following:
1 - The Part 107 rule makes absolutely no mention of a floor to the weight and you will find no reference to the 250g or 0.55 pounds in it.
2 - The Part 107 discussion by the FAA mentions that there were comments around exemptions for those under 4.4 lbs.  The FAA said that was something that was considered and would be looked at in the future.
3 - An ARC report in 2016 after 107 was implemented recommended that it be considered that 107 be modified and that under 250g (called category 1, they had other categories with other rules) would be allowed to fly over people. The recommendations stated that all other limitations of 107 should still apply to Category 1.   If those were already exempt, why would the ACR need to make recommendations to remove flight over people?
4 - The FAA in March of this year, restated the idea that the new final rule will change by having categories, including Category 1 weighing less than 250 grams to have different fules.

So, in my mind, it seems pretty clear that the FAA does not think there are currently any special rules for UAS under 250g, otherwise they would not say they plan to have some expeditions for them in the future.  That plus the fact that neither part 107 nor the new congressional law say anything about a floor for the weight and only consistently talk about "under 55 lbs" with no "and over", leads me to take an educated guess that there are no exemptions for part 107 due to weight at this time.

Additionally, it appears likely that there will be in the future, but that is only relating to the restrictions on 107 flights (such as allowing flights over people), and not the 107 process in general.
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
First Officer
United States

Dang it i just read where the FAA requires under 250g a 107 cert for commercial is still needed but cannot find it now... When i find it i will post back.
2019-10-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 10-30 11:12
I think the rules are pretty clear if you read through all the FAA documentation.  In my opinion, there is no exemption from part 107 due to weight.  There used to be exemption from registration due to weight (and even that language has disappeared from the FAA guidance  EDIT - but not on the registration site as it was pointed out in an earlier thread),

I base my opinion on the following:

if not explicitly mentioned for weight anywhere then its implicit law/rule.  this simply means its assumed (or implied) from prior noted rules/laws and the noted rules/laws mentioned 250 grams + for basic registration and expemtions.

dont get it twisted, im just arguing how its laid out is confusing and im making a case for why not.  i dont think this is a drone that part 107 should apply to, infact i dont like current part 107 system at all and testing with it as a whole makes little sense (im part 107 as well i passed but i didnt under stand how most of what i tested for applies to what i do as a commercial drone pilot).   anyway thats besides the point. i think this drone is one of exceptions currently specially way things get worded.   i know that FAA and all other countries will soon tidy rules up more to include sub 250 gram drones with cameras into registration and laws where its right now very loose and free... not about safety, its about $$$ and power in the end

2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 10-30 12:09
if not explicitly mentioned for weight anywhere then its implicit law/rule.  this simply means its assumed (or implied) from prior noted rules/laws and the noted rules/laws mentioned 250 grams + for basic registration and expemtions.

dont get it twisted, im just arguing how its laid out is confusing and im making a case for why not.  i dont think this is a drone that part 107 should apply to, infact i dont like current part 107 system at all and testing with it as a whole makes little sense (im part 107 as well i passed but i didnt under stand how most of what i tested for applies to what i do as a commercial drone pilot).   anyway thats besides the point. i think this drone is one of exceptions currently specially way things get worded.   i know that FAA and all other countries will soon tidy rules up more to include sub 250 gram drones with cameras into registration and laws where its right now very loose and free... not about safety, its about $$$ and power in the end

ya i think in the near future the FAA will get a request from DAC to change the ruling for the less than 250g weight amongst other rulings/laws. I have posted before the idiots will make them change it. The idiots are the ones to be mad at. The FAA is just following their lead.
2019-10-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 10-30 12:42
ya i think in the near future the FAA will get a request from DAC to change the ruling for the less than 250g weight amongst other rulings/laws. I have posted before the idiots will make them change it. The idiots are the ones to be mad at. The FAA is just following their lead.

oh yea, we all know that will happen, they probably already constructing new rules that kill off sub 250 gram market now that DJI is in on it.  and if they slow to react to it, you know once the first mavic mini has issues and falls from the sky for any reason or something that they will use that as a scapegoat reason that they need to send fun police in and stop us from having fun.    i mean the media caught onto the spark falling from the sky as a brief call of action before they got distracted with other stuff again..
2019-10-30
Use props
BobB
First Officer
United States

As promised here is where i saw you need a 107 cert and you also need to register the Mini in your fleet > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 913&pid=1991943
2019-10-31
Use props
BobB
First Officer
United States

and a few words from my friend Kevin. My FAA go to guy:

https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/1189976727922982912
2019-10-31
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you fly any sUAS in the NAS for commercial purposes,  it needs to be registered under Part 107 Aircraft, and the RPIC flying the unit must be Certified 107.

Randy
2019-10-31
Use props
lvl.3
United States

BobB Posted at 2019-10-31 13:00
and a few words from my friend Kevin. My FAA go to guy:

https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/1189976727922982912

straight to the point from an official sources - very helpful. thanks for posting this
2020-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules