Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingfun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Bjord Posted at 11-12 00:39
Do any of the other DJI drones have obstacle avoidance based on the camera view? I feel like active track wouldn't work very well without obstacle sensors, constantly hitting things and plummeting to the ground. If they could make it work though, that would be swell.

my point exactly too dangerous of crashing the drone
2019-11-17
Use props
Earth_blazing
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57428 ft
Netherlands

flyingfun Posted at 11-17 00:57
my point exactly too dangerous of crashing the drone

Honestly its not too dangerous. But the tech exists to use the camera as an obstacle avoidance sensor and its actually something fairly easy to implement. it will never be as good as dedicated sensors but that risk is up to the users imho
2019-11-17
Use props
Earth_blazing
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57428 ft
Netherlands

Personally I would also be fine with a guided GPS path that way you can assure yourself it does not cross obstacles in its flight path. Also, I have come to the conclusion I do would like a LOG format for video and raw for photo.
2019-11-17
Use props
flyingfun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Earth_blazing Posted at 11-17 01:05
Honestly its not too dangerous. But the tech exists to use the camera as an obstacle avoidance sensor and its actually something fairly easy to implement. it will never be as good as dedicated sensors but that risk is up to the users imho

as a manufacturer you cant’t take that risk to many claims to your support division will result in bad customer reviews   
2019-11-17
Use props
Cdpils
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24948 ft
Germany

flyingfun Posted at 11-17 01:14
as a manufacturer you cant’t take that risk to many claims to your support division will result in bad customer reviews

You already have that risk with the selfie modes.
Just make a disclaimer. ActiveTrack should be stand by now.
2019-11-17
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can just as easily crash your drone flying manually or with any of the quickshot modes as well, and that without even moving yourself! The bottom line is: just be careful and you will be fine.  I guess even a new basic "Activtrack" Quickshot mode that is much more limited in speed & distance would help, e.g. only for slower walking/cycling people and just at close range. As mentioned before: all the cheap drones as well as the Anafi have it!
2019-11-17
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

If the missing obstacle avoidance sensors are really the point, then add an active track Option that not moves the drone.
Active track dont has to fly, it can just follot the camera and rotate the drone that would be totally fine.
The pilot can move the drone "on sight" if nessesary.
The difficulty with Filming and flying is to hold the subject to film in the middle of the camera and have the drone in eye at same time.
So it would be perfect if active track keeps the subject in view during the pilot have an eye on the drone and flys.
2019-11-17
Use props
Riplex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226125 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The missing obstacle avoidance sensors can not be the problem because drones like Fimi A3 or X8 has "Active Track" and they dont have any sensors to avoid obstacles.
2019-11-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It could be a big liability if it were to crash and cause damage as most of the people who buy the Mavic Mini drop nearly all common sense and think nothing will go wrong.  This works great when people's lives remain normal and not extreme but this territory shouldn't be taken too lightly.
2019-11-17
Use props
djiuser_pqlIsiNYGURU
lvl.2

France

Whatever happens, the Active Track must be available on a drone like that !
2019-11-17
Use props
Woodnaxe
lvl.2
France

I will not buy it without AT. It would have been my first drone, but too bad...
2019-11-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 11-17 07:53
It could be a big liability if it were to crash and cause damage as most of the people who buy the Mavic Mini drop nearly all common sense and think nothing will go wrong.  This works great when people's lives remain normal and not extreme but this territory shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Maybe make it so that you have to accumulate a certain distance on the Mavic Mini before you're allowed to use ActiveTrack? They can definitely think of something

And furthermore, they've already risked that when they introduced GPS tracking with the Phantom 3 line. Activetrack would just be like GPS tracking on steroids. No greater risk than what they have implemented in the past.

And the Mavic mini shouldn't cause too much damage being that small!
2019-11-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

jh8 Posted at 11-17 01:38
You can just as easily crash your drone flying manually or with any of the quickshot modes as well, and that without even moving yourself! The bottom line is: just be careful and you will be fine.  I guess even a new basic "Activtrack" Quickshot mode that is much more limited in speed & distance would help, e.g. only for slower walking/cycling people and just at close range. As mentioned before: all the cheap drones as well as the Anafi have it!

I agree, you could have different levels of Activetrack (slow, fast, etc.) that are unlockable based on flight time or distance.
2019-11-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Christian U Posted at 11-17 07:11
If the missing obstacle avoidance sensors are really the point, then add an active track Option that not moves the drone.
Active track dont has to fly, it can just follot the camera and rotate the drone that would be totally fine.
The pilot can move the drone "on sight" if nessesary.

Interesting and that would be kind of useful! I wouldn't actually mind that since I can move the drone and take full responsibility of where its going and anything I hit.

The drone would just keep me in the shot and I can use the right joystick to move the drone. Not full ActiveTrack but it would be super effective!
2019-11-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Bjord Posted at 11-12 00:39
Do any of the other DJI drones have obstacle avoidance based on the camera view? I feel like active track wouldn't work very well without obstacle sensors, constantly hitting things and plummeting to the ground. If they could make it work though, that would be swell.

Christian U pointed out that they could make activetrack without the moving part. The drone keeps you in frame at all times and you take control of the movements!

As for drones with tracking w/o OA, the Phantom 3 line had GPS tracking without OA and that was fine.
2019-11-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can get the Mavic Air for $649 that has Activetrack w/ OA.
https://www.amazon.com/Quadcopte ... 05:pla-747811520587
2019-11-17
Use props
Woodnaxe
lvl.2
France

AntDX316 Posted at 11-17 23:18
https://www.amazon.com/Quadcopter-Arctic-Starters-Bundle-Renewed/dp/B07RSD82FM/ref=asc_df_B07RSD82FM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343257911461&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13821958813632090374&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003692&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-747811520587&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67962871134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343257911461&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13821958813632090374&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003692&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-747811520587

With 15 minutes of autonomy? Not for me in 2019
2019-11-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 11-17 23:18
https://www.amazon.com/Quadcopter-Arctic-Starters-Bundle-Renewed/dp/B07RSD82FM/ref=asc_df_B07RSD82FM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343257911461&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13821958813632090374&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003692&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-747811520587&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67962871134&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343257911461&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13821958813632090374&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003692&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-747811520587

The only thing for me is that the Mavic Air is notorious for having poor connectivity and that package does not come with extra batteries. At $499 for the fly more combo, the Mavic Mini was the perfect option. Now it just needs ActiveTrack!
2019-11-18
Use props
djiuser_1Iho5mZnJBYc
New

Germany

I just want to add my Missing ActiveTrack is a reason for me to look into other drones in the market. Please include this in an update!
2019-11-18
Use props
vivi86
New
Spain

I agree 100% , active track is needed :-)
2019-11-19
Use props
zephiruspt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

AntDX316 Posted at 11-17 07:53

"most of the people who buy the Mavic Mini drop nearly all common sense and think nothing will go wrong" - really? You are putting everyone on the same bag? Correct me if I'm wrong but anyone can make a mess with any drone, at any time, being amateur or professional, so that is not an argument to not have AT.

About having at least AT that only tracks the subject without changing drone coordinates, ie, only rotating, it's a great idea and for some shots would be enough. If the pilot wants, it moves the drone manually as already can do.
2019-11-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

zephiruspt Posted at 11-19 02:55
"most of the people who buy the Mavic Mini drop nearly all common sense and think nothing will go wrong" - really? You are putting everyone on the same bag? Correct me if I'm wrong but anyone can make a mess with any drone, at any time, being amateur or professional, so that is not an argument to not have AT.

About having at least AT that only tracks the subject without changing drone coordinates, ie, only rotating, it's a great idea and for some shots would be enough. If the pilot wants, it moves the drone manually as already can do.

Someone said the mavic mini felt cheap if you have a bigger drone.  The footage that came off the drone can be considered Professional-grade but I assume the feed isn't as immaculate as the M2.
2019-11-19
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 11-19 04:01
Someone said the mavic mini felt cheap if you have a bigger drone.  The footage that came off the drone can be considered Professional-grade but I assume the feed isn't as immaculate as the M2.

It does feel less rigid than the Phantom series and the more expensive Mavics

Still handles really well though!

2019-11-19
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

zephiruspt Posted at 11-19 02:55
"most of the people who buy the Mavic Mini drop nearly all common sense and think nothing will go wrong" - really? You are putting everyone on the same bag? Correct me if I'm wrong but anyone can make a mess with any drone, at any time, being amateur or professional, so that is not an argument to not have AT.

About having at least AT that only tracks the subject without changing drone coordinates, ie, only rotating, it's a great idea and for some shots would be enough. If the pilot wants, it moves the drone manually as already can do.

Yeah, I feel like that active track would be a great compromise!
2019-11-19
Use props
flightmaster300
lvl.1
Ireland

true i would love if the mavic mini had active track i do a lot of cycling so i would use it to follow the bike
i hope dji hear this and if the do i hope they actually try
2019-11-20
Use props
flightmaster300
lvl.1
Ireland

yes i agree i would use it a lot with my friends while surfing and cycling
think we should really push this and try to get it by dji because like you said iphoneo demonstrated the drone following him in the helix mode so it has the ability to do so
2019-11-20
Use props
Suwaidirak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1732667 ft
United Arab Emirates

I've received my mavic mini one week ago and it really misses the Active Tracking mode, so I'm back flying my spark again storing my mavic for later and wishing for update soon.
2019-11-20
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

really ? The Active Track of the sparc lost every subject i ever tried to follow within 10 seconds. The Active Track 3.0 from Osmo mobile follows my dog even then its only 5 pixels big on the screen.
What i was able to test with the tracking during Quickshots Tracking of the Mini feels a lot like Active Track 3.0
2019-11-20
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Christian U Posted at 11-20 12:45
really ? The Active Track of the sparc lost every subject i ever tried to follow within 10 seconds. The Active Track 3.0 from Osmo mobile follows my dog even then its only 5 pixels big on the screen.
What i was able to test with the tracking during Quickshots Tracking of the Mini feels a lot like Active Track 3.0

That's good to hear! Hopefully they add the feature in soon so that I can fly my mini even more often!
2019-11-20
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Germany

I had tested active track just before i sold my spark to get sure that i make no mistake with selling the spark.
And it has worked bad. So i decided that i can fly manually better than the old Active Track does.
But thats not an vote to not add Active Track to the Mini, just an Vote that the Mini is working without Active Track better as the Spark with Active Track,

After the 4th Flight i have with the Mini more cinematic Footage like with the Spark in the last 2 Years.
The Flight time is really what ived missed. With the Sparc i always has the Setup done and know what i can film after 10 Mins and then i had 2 Mins left to get Footage.
The Mini flys way more intuitive. The Rotation of Drone and Giombal in Cinesmooth Mode is exactly what i expect during filming. So that i get good Footage after 5 mins of Flight time and have left nearly 20mins of time to get Footage. I have flown over water on first flight, so comftable i felt with it. With Spark i always had fear to fly over Water (even with Care Refresh)

Active Track would make thes Product perfect to me. To be able to concentrate more to flying and know that active Track works nearly like on Osmo Mobile 3 would be great. It would make flying a lot safer and get even more good footage.
Would loge to hear an meaning from DJI.
2019-11-20
Use props
Syrosh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133333 ft
France

Please add it to the next firmware update !
2019-11-21
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Christian U Posted at 11-20 13:12
I had tested active track just before i sold my spark to get sure that i make no mistake with selling the spark.
And it has worked bad. So i decided that i can fly manually better than the old Active Track does.
But thats not an vote to not add Active Track to the Mini, just an Vote that the Mini is working without Active Track better as the Spark with Active Track,

Yes!!! other things like no manual video settings-I can live without. No activetrack? Kind of a bummer! they need to add it
2019-11-21
Use props
Man.c
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Please add active tracking!! This is so essential
2019-11-21
Use props
fanse7c1dc92
lvl.1

Canada

I just cancelled my order due to lack of follow me mode. The chiepest drones can do it. I am pretty sure the mini is gonna set a new standard and other manufacturers will copy it and put more features in them which will force dji to upgrade the mini ....
2019-11-22
Use props
fans082a4ba8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131135 ft
United States

I await active track with great anticipation @DJI

2019-11-22
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

It really needs activetrack and the other missing quickshots. Like boomerang and asteroid.
2019-11-22
Use props
mjordan79
lvl.1
Italy

I would love to use the Mavic Mini to record me during my running sessions. For this purpose, I cannot use a Mavic Air / Pro (high cost that is not justified by this use, also I cannot fly them while running in the city).
The Mavic Mini would be a perfect fit for this.
2019-11-23
Use props
OkosTobias
lvl.1
Germany

I was not sure if the assumption, that if the mavic mini can outline an object with a green frame at the beginning of a QuickShot it can also track it. I guessed that it is just a gimmick and it will stay focusing on the spot at the beginning if I move.

I did some tests an SURPRISE (for me) it actively tracked me as I was moving. Like it turned itself in the air during a Dronie to keep me in the middle as I walked sideways. Afterwards it returned to its original position (where I was not anymore LOL). Same on Rocket and Circle. Circle was funny as it circeled stricktly  around my original spot but tried to focus on and record me with the gimbal desperately and gave up as I was outside the circle...

So technically the camera system (camera and image processing) and the drone can actively track and follow an object with the gimbal and by turning the mini in the air but at the time being does not alter the flying route of the drone at all.

It gives us quite a big hope that the ActiveTracking can be added to the Fly App in short time as there is no hardware limitation. I guess the whole image processing and flight control thing happens on the Smartphone anyway, so a Fly App update can solve it.
2019-11-24
Use props
QqnzZcww4hOm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Australia

DJI, please add ActiveTrack to the next firmware update!
2019-11-24
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think the Mavic Mini with the cage for Activetrack is the safest drone on the market.  Rather get hit with an acorn than a coconut at top-speed.

I never really even tried an Activetrack w/ any of the M2s or P4.

I think DJI is going to release Activetrack later like they did w/ the Ronin-S (so some people buy the better drones that can't wait or think it will never be released) but the Activetrack on the Ronin-S and SC is bad because certain moves will confuse the computer due to the top-heavy nature of the hackjob design of not being able to have a mini lightweight camera being able to be tethered at a distance so the weight balance isn't an issue.

How come DJI can't make a computerized Ronin with a built-in camera like they do with the drones so the Ronin has its own eye and own computer system to Activetrack?
2019-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules