Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Feature Request] Mavic Mini ActiveTrack
100391 483 2019-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mjordan79
lvl.1
Italy

OkosTobias Posted at 11-24 04:42
I was not sure if the assumption, that if the mavic mini can outline an object with a green frame at the beginning of a QuickShot it can also track it. I guessed that it is just a gimmick and it will stay focusing on the spot at the beginning if I move.

I did some tests an SURPRISE (for me) it actively tracked me as I was moving. Like it turned itself in the air during a Dronie to keep me in the middle as I walked sideways. Afterwards it returned to its original position (where I was not anymore LOL). Same on Rocket and Circle. Circle was funny as it circeled stricktly  around my original spot but tried to focus on and record me with the gimbal desperately and gave up as I was outside the circle...

To be honest, the Mavic Mini has the Ambarella H22 Processor so the recognition can happen directly in-hardware. There is no limitation in implementing this feature. This SoC is capable of recording 4K at 60fps or FullHD at 120fps. It has been released in 2017 and still it isn't used at its full potential in fall 2019 drones.
2019-11-24
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel like the firmware and app are unfinished like the rushed it. Not as polished as I would have expected from DJI. I think its crazy to take away features drone to drone. Instead just keep adding to your products. Let the customer decide if they want to use the feature. For a selfi drone you'd expect tracking and gestures out of the box. I am also not seeing where I can record audio from my phone during flight like GO4.
2019-11-24
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

I myself want active track on my Mini as well. We already have some quick shots so I see it as a possibility that it could be included in a future firmware/software update.  I emailed DJI on the matter but haven't heard back, though their response in other places has been something like "if you would like active track, please buy a non-beginner model and get a higher end model" . Translation, if you want active track, spend a few thousand dollars. I personally bought the mini for Photography and ease of use and portability.  But this is one feature I would use a lot.
2019-11-24
Use props
Rob Dunlap
lvl.2

United States

The exclusion of ActiveTrack was a bummer but it was obstacle avoidance that was the deal breaker for me. I LOVE how small this drone is but I’ll hold onto my Mavic Pro for now. I see a new version of the Mini coming out that has all these features.
2019-11-24
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

Rob Dunlap Posted at 11-24 17:58
The exclusion of ActiveTrack was a bummer but it was obstacle avoidance that was the deal breaker for me. I LOVE how small this drone is but I’ll hold onto my Mavic Pro for now. I see a new version of the Mini coming out that has all these features.

The mini will never come out with obstacle avoidance because it lacks the sensors. The reason for that is to keep it under the 250g mark. Currently, take off weight with Mini, Battery and SD Card is 249g. To add any "physical" thing would put it over that limit. So the only thing they can do is update/add firmware/software
2019-11-24
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-24 17:10
I myself want active track on my Mini as well. We already have some quick shots so I see it as a possibility that it could be included in a future firmware/software update.  I emailed DJI on the matter but haven't heard back, though their response in other places has been something like "if you would like active track, please buy a non-beginner model and get a higher end model" . Translation, if you want active track, spend a few thousand dollars. I personally bought the mini for Photography and ease of use and portability.  But this is one feature I would use a lot.

Yeah! they have to realize that the Mini is not just for beginners, but for travelers and people looking for extreme portability!
2019-11-24
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Rob Dunlap Posted at 11-24 17:58
The exclusion of ActiveTrack was a bummer but it was obstacle avoidance that was the deal breaker for me. I LOVE how small this drone is but I’ll hold onto my Mavic Pro for now. I see a new version of the Mini coming out that has all these features.

Maybe if they use some new battery tech. But the only way as of now is to drop down the battery life to around 15-20minutes to get the OA. I prefer more flight time but that's me
2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_aMDoEIDMNjRB
lvl.1

Australia

Would also like Active Track. Would push me over the line to buying a Mavic Mini
2019-11-26
Use props
djiuser_aMDoEIDMNjRB
lvl.1

Australia

Would also like Active Track. Would push me over the line to buying a Mavic Mini
2019-11-26
Use props
1JKP
lvl.1

Germany

djiuser_aMDoEIDMNjRB Posted at 11-26 13:54

For me as well. It is the one missing feature with which I would instantly buy the drone.
2019-11-27
Use props
WurstCase
lvl.2

Austria

I guess Active Track will never be implemented on the Mavic Mini because it lacks the Sensors for Obstacle Avoidance. This would result in a lot of crashes and i doubt dji is gonna risk their "safe flying" image just for that. Also they would kind of take away the USP of their larger drones especially the mavic air (which is not even 2 years old and therefore hardly reached its end of life cylcle). I do see a possibility for a improvement of the Steady Shot feature that has kind of active tracking (with limitations) though - at least from an hardware point of view.
2019-11-27
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

WurstCase Posted at 11-27 08:39
I guess Active Track will never be implemented on the Mavic Mini because it lacks the Sensors for Obstacle Avoidance. This would result in a lot of crashes and i doubt dji is gonna risk their "safe flying" image just for that. Also they would kind of take away the USP of their larger drones especially the mavic air (which is not even 2 years old and therefore hardly reached its end of life cylcle). I do see a possibility for a improvement of the Steady Shot feature that has kind of active tracking (with limitations) though - at least from an hardware point of view.

If quick shots works without obstacle sensors, then should be possible for Active Track too.
2019-11-27
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

WurstCase Posted at 11-27 08:39
I guess Active Track will never be implemented on the Mavic Mini because it lacks the Sensors for Obstacle Avoidance. This would result in a lot of crashes and i doubt dji is gonna risk their "safe flying" image just for that. Also they would kind of take away the USP of their larger drones especially the mavic air (which is not even 2 years old and therefore hardly reached its end of life cylcle). I do see a possibility for a improvement of the Steady Shot feature that has kind of active tracking (with limitations) though - at least from an hardware point of view.

We have quickshots which are similar maneuvers as active track and it is doing it WITHOUT obstacle avoidance sensors. That doesn't preclude the possibility of adding active track. It would just mean you have to use active track carefully and know your surroundings to avoid objects. At anytime during the current quickshots you can take control of the mini and cancel the quickshot. I would assume the feature would remain the same with active track.

Yes it would take a little away from the other drones, but so far this little drone already has. It is lighter, better batter,y 3 axis gimble and a great capability, which is why beginners and pros alike are interested in this mini. Weight, size, and portability says a LOT to the flying community. Adding Active Track would push it over the edge where hundreds, thousands more people would buy it.

Activetrack and manual camera settings (WB, shutter speed, and ISO) are the number #1 requested additions for the Mavic Mini
2019-11-27
Use props
1JKP
lvl.1

Germany

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-27 09:56
We have quickshots which are similar maneuvers as active track and it is doing it WITHOUT obstacle avoidance sensors. That doesn't preclude the possibility of adding active track. It would just mean you have to use active track carefully and know your surroundings to avoid objects. At anytime during the current quickshots you can take control of the mini and cancel the quickshot. I would assume the feature would remain the same with active track.

Yes it would take a little away from the other drones, but so far this little drone already has. It is lighter, better batter,y 3 axis gimble and a great capability, which is why beginners and pros alike are interested in this mini. Weight, size, and portability says a LOT to the flying community. Adding Active Track would push it over the edge where hundreds, thousands more people would buy it.

I am currently not aware, but does DJI usually listen to these feature request?
2019-11-28
Use props
djiuser_0ZQWcQKPdBzF
lvl.2
Spain

1JKP Posted at 11-28 02:37

That's a good question!!!!
2019-11-28
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

Very good question. From what I have seen so far, I want to say yes, but only to a point. They seam to be willing to listen, and they have updated items on other drones and apps in the past from requests (if they get enough of them) They have already listened to a few things i have said about the current fly app (whether it is a coincidence or not that they changed fixed some items i asked for, idk). Does that mean they will add everything we ask for, NO. but if it is feasible, practical and relatively cheap for them to do so, I don't see why not. Only time will tell.
2019-11-28
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

I believe that if there is enough demand, DJI will definitely implement new features. They removed support for the OTG cable for the spark and public uproar caused them to resupport it. We just need to push DJI for the feature!
2019-11-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-28 14:30
I believe that if there is enough demand, DJI will definitely implement new features. They removed support for the OTG cable for the spark and public uproar caused them to resupport it. We just need to push DJI for the feature!

I think that dji do and will listen to opinions, after all it’s part and parcel of this forum which is theirs.
However I don’t think they would put at risk sales of other and future drones, also it’s almost certain we will see some improvements and maybe some added features with new FW.

Dji will also not introduce a feature that might put the safety of the craft t risk. I think at the end of the day we will get some things not as many as we’d like, but probably as many as they think is feasible for the price we paid.

For me manual control of iso and shutter and 24fps 2.7k would be great .
2019-11-28
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-28 14:58
I think that dji do and will listen to opinions, after all it’s part and parcel of this forum which is theirs.
However I don’t think they would put at risk sales of other and future drones, also it’s almost certain we will see some improvements and maybe some added features with new FW.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly and I think you hit the nail on the head. However one small part that you said they would not introduce anything that would put the drone at risk. But the current  quickshots already do that if the pilot is not paying attention, so in my opinion, adding Active track or at the VERY least, adding more quickshots is completely with in that scope.

For me, Manual control of ISO shutter speed and WB for video is a yes. I also want WB control for Photo mode and I really really want Raw format for photo mode. Active track is another one i really want as well however i am not holding my breath. An added quick shot they could do easily since it has GPS is way-points.
2019-11-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-28 15:11
I have to agree with you wholeheartedly and I think you hit the nail on the head. However one small part that you said they would not introduce anything that would put the drone at risk. But the current  quickshots already do that if the pilot is not paying attention, so in my opinion, adding Active track or at the VERY least, adding more quickshots is completely with in that scope.

For me, Manual control of ISO shutter speed and WB for video is a yes. I also want WB control for Photo mode and I really really want Raw format for photo mode. Active track is another one i really want as well however i am not holding my breath. An added quick shot they could do easily since it has GPS is way-points.

I hope they do, but something tells me there is an issue with this, hopefully I’m wrong as I know many would choose this as a new feature .
2019-11-28
Use props
gooooba
lvl.1
Slovenia

I myself did make a mistake buying the drone, as I missed the lack of the features. Didn't even tought that it could be possible, based on all other DJI drones. Why would they pull allready created features...

Follow me should be implemented as there is no reason not to. Also waypoints is a must.
Leave it to the user to watch the drone not to crash.
Basic obsticle avoidance could be done only by camera probably.

All the cheap aliexpress drones has this features and more. The advanced features of DJI is the main advantage over cheap drones.

I'm not saying the drone itself is bad, just reverse. Because the base of the drone is great and by adding these allready made features would make the drone great and users happy.
2019-11-28
Use props
djiuser_HcXJq6BvPfUY
lvl.1
Italy

Il follow me sarebbe fantastico.....le vendite sarebbero milioni.... è solo questione di firmware.
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_HcXJq6BvPfUY
lvl.1
Italy

Il follow me è piu importante degli altri quickshot, accontentate gli acquirenti fedeli a dji.
2019-11-29
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

I think IF thats an business decision and not just not implemented DJI should revert it.
It makes no sense to have Active Track 3.0 on 99 Eur Osmo Mobile, but not on 399 Eur Mavic Mini.
2019-11-30
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

gooooba Posted at 11-28 21:37
I myself did make a mistake buying the drone, as I missed the lack of the features. Didn't even tought that it could be possible, based on all other DJI drones. Why would they pull allready created features...

Follow me should be implemented as there is no reason not to. Also waypoints is a must.

Just commenting on how the main camera might be able to give OA... OA requires sonar to figure out how far an obstacle is from the drone. Just an image camera can't do that at the moment without making many mistakes on what obstacles are close and far.
2019-12-1
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Christian U Posted at 11-30 16:28
I think IF thats an business decision and not just not implemented DJI should revert it.
It makes no sense to have Active Track 3.0 on 99 Eur Osmo Mobile, but not on 399 Eur Mavic Mini.

I somewhat agree. The Mavic mini is in a different market. You can't just buy a gimbal to replace a drone for many reasons. But your point is valid. Furthermore, they don't even seel the Spark anymore and the Mavic Air is probably going to be discontinued so the Mavic Mini would not hurt other drone sales. Anyway, they already killed the Mavic Air with the extra flight time and better transmission (for the most part). So they should just go ahead and add ActiveTrack
2019-12-1
Use props
djiuser_BfkLntfsj6fK
New

Poland

This was supposed to be my first drone, but active track is a must have for me. This should not be marketed as a beginners drone, but as a travel drone and as such it needs more features. Such a good piece of hardware is wasted by such a basic and lucklaster software. I'll give it few months of patience, but if it doesn't land I'll look elsewhere.
2019-12-1
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130466 ft
Italy

Don't let this thread slip away, DJI are you listening? Will you do something or you want to us all to come there and kick your lazy asses? We want active track!
2019-12-2
Use props
Brownbear0013
New

United Kingdom

Active Track is the main reason, no only reason i'm going to look at other low budget drones... Sorry DJI (get this feature out !!!!!)
2019-12-2
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Johnny Danger Posted at 12-2 06:57
Don't let this thread slip away, DJI are you listening? Will you do something or you want to us all to come there and kick your lazy asses?  We want active track!

Yeah, they removed it from top threads!!! They're trying to quiet us. We want activetrack!
2019-12-2
Use props
StefanMalloch
lvl.2
Canada

Yes please... you took 4k from us.. at lease give us active track.. for Christmas.
2019-12-2
Use props
djiuser_ybTc2yf7HK5j
New

Germany

I would like to have an Active track in DJI Mavic Mini! I think it is a must-have feature for DJi Drones.
2019-12-3
Use props
djiuser_e6ZsL6aypuCb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I would also like to see this feature. It's the main thing putting me off buying the Mini.
2019-12-3
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

Dear Santa (or DJI, whoever could get them first):
Active track
Manual exposure & WB for video (& maybe some custom colors/settings).
RAW for photo
Auto Panorama photo mode
2019-12-3
Use props
Pilot Stefan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208986 ft
Serbia

We need this so baaaad
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Pilot Stefan Posted at 12-3 03:51
We need this so baaaad

I agree:

Active track
RAW for photo
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)
Auto Panorama photo mode
2019-12-3
Use props
dmesg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2983638 ft
Israel

Anyone who's buying a drone for selfies, avoid this one until some very basic form of Active Track is available. You can't move the drone manually and have it focused on you automatically.
The quick shots are not enough and even quite very dangerous, since you are not in control.
I don't even understand how DJI managed to release the drone without this feature.
2019-12-3
Use props
Zadman
lvl.1
United States

Cap0ne Posted at 12-3 03:47
Dear Santa (or DJI, whoever could get them first):
Active track

This is my Christmas wish too.

I have flown DJI for years, starting with the Phantom 3. I now fly a Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I just got the MM to compliment it and to make travel easier. I fly, cruise and my most favorite ride my Harley. the size of this thing makes it so much easier to take with me, as were before I questioned whether or not to take all my other equipment. Now, this makes it a no brainer.

I say this to state I need/want these small add features to make my customer experience even better.
2019-12-3
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

DJI will not put active track on mini as for marketing reasons alone they will not want to deal with possible crashes during active track as drone has no obstacle avoidance sensors.
I wold push more to get at least generic features returned to this new ridiculous DJI Fly app no one needed - raw files support, manual photo/video format settings, Panorama shooting modes - a simple generic things that can run on the existing hardware with no added hazard of crashing, etc.

It is the worst marketing cr@p an IT company can do when they pull out features hardware can support just to 'separate' artificially some new product from the rest of the more expensive older lineup.
2019-12-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-3 08:02
DJI will not put active track on mini as for marketing reasons alone they will not want to deal with possible crashes during active track as drone has no obstacle avoidance sensors.
I wold push more to get at least generic features returned to this new ridiculous DJI Fly app no one needed - raw files support, manual photo/video format settings, Panorama shooting modes - a simple generic things that can run on the existing hardware with no added hazard of crashing, etc.

I recognize this issue of possible crashes! But like others and I have stated, they could add an active track that simply keeps a subject in the frame. It's then up to the operator to move the drone around!

For example, once this form of tracking locks on to a target, you could "lock" a set of controls such as pitch (so that the perpendicular distance to the object's plane remains constant) and roll the drone parallel to the subject!.

Things still have to be worked out but I think they can make it happen!

2019-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules