Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Feature Request] Mavic Mini ActiveTrack
100252 484 2019-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

As made apparent by iPhonedo's review of the Mavic Mini on youtube, the drone is capable of tracking a subject during the "quickshots". This means that all DJI has to do is send out a firmware update and the Mavic Mini would be able to track a subject.

Edit: DJI Tutorials uploaded a video showing the same exact thing: the Mavic Mini tracking the subject in a quickshot!

Do you guys think that they will do this?

I sure hope so. I preordered the drone from BestBuy to pick up on release day because I'm sold on the size, flight time, and camera quality, but having the active track feature would be such a huge plus on the Mavic mini.

If anyone from DJI is reading this, please try to make the active track feature on the Mavic Mini happen... it's one of the most useful features that even other drone manufacturers are adding to their $100-$200 dollar drones (AirPix, for example. Even though I would never get it due to its limited flight time and niche use).

Edit: I have an idea for DJI to add ActiveTrack but a more friendly mode for the "entry-level" drone (even though I'm buying it mostly for portability). Maybe make the active track follow the path of the subject's physical body so that it kind of ensures that it won't really hit anything. e.g. it'll maintain the altitude of a person's head, for example, when tracking from behind. Sidetracking etc, wouldn't work but the other drones at this size don't have side sensors anyway.

Another idea mentioned by a commenter is to make it a dumbed-down activetrack. Activetrack will orient the drone towards the subject, but the operator must move the drone and take full responsibility in where it flies (and crashes). So Spotlight mode on the more expensive drones.

2019-11-2
Use props
Cavids
lvl.4
United States

I agree 100%
2019-11-2
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I totally agree, especially in this target market it should have Activetrack or at least basic FollwMe mode (phone GPS) .
Even without OA it would not be any more dangerous than Dronie or Helix quickshots  in open areas.
2019-11-3
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

agree 100%, but looking at how they develop spark and air over time.... doubt it
2019-11-3
Use props
djiuser_y5XvqowOjtN1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1483 ft

United States

As someone who has been watching dji for awhile and been looking at getting one, I’ve been looking at the Mavic air as my first one until I saw the Mavic mini, the one thing that would seal the deal on the mini for me is if the Mavic mini had active track
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

jh8 Posted at 11-3 03:25
I totally agree, especially in this target market it should have Activetrack or at least basic FollwMe mode (phone GPS) .
Even without OA it would not be any more dangerous than Dronie or Helix quickshots  in open areas.

GPS Tracking isn't too useful but that would be something!
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

jh8 Posted at 11-3 03:25

2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

KREMi Posted at 11-3 03:34
agree 100%, but looking at how they develop spark and air over time.... doubt it

That's true.. they don't usually add these big ticket features.. I'm hopeful though
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_y5XvqowOjtN1 Posted at 11-3 07:32
As someone who has been watching dji for awhile and been looking at getting one, I’ve been looking at the Mavic air as my first one until I saw the Mavic mini, the one thing that would seal the deal on the mini for me is if the Mavic mini had active track

This is also a good argument! I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in your situation and adding ActiveTrack would boost popularity and sales!
2019-11-3
Use props
jh8
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am still hopeful it is one of the features they just have not added to the new DJI Fly app.
Someone should decompile the APK to look for strings pointing to hidden/incomplete features.
It would also be nice if the main camera could be used by the App for basic obstacle avoidance!
2019-11-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your idea with us. No worries, this would be considered as a suggestion and forward it to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your support.
2019-11-3
Use props
DaMa
Captain
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

What happens, if I am moving during the quickshot?
2019-11-3
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have put in my order for the Mavic Mini. Active track is something I would love to see with the MM. This will be my very first DJI drone. I currently still have my starter drone, the Tello. Which I guess technically is a DJI drone, but not quite. The similarities are pretty close, but I was looking for something more affordable and with a better camera system so I think this will fit the bill. Active track would just make it that much better without cutting into any of the higher end drones too. I think it's a request worth looking into.

Thank you.
2019-11-3
Use props
Niknik
Captain
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Yes I agree
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-3 13:02

I'm pretty sure it readjusts to keep you in the frame. So it's basically ActiveTrack!
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-3 13:02

I'm pretty sure it readjusts to keep you in the frame. So it's basically ActiveTrack!
2019-11-3
Use props
fansfa9842d8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 244344 ft

Singapore

Same, really hoping for Active Track to come to Mavic Mini. It's the make or break deal for me to get it.
2019-11-3
Use props
DaMa
Captain
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-3 16:44

It can also be a GPS coordinate due to altitude and distance, then it is not tracking. I thought one of the testers tried that ...
2019-11-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

DaMa Posted at 11-3 23:49
It can also be a GPS coordinate due to altitude and distance, then it is not tracking. I thought one of the testers tried that ...

In iPhonedo's video, the screen on the DJI Fly App showed a box around the subject which looked exactly like ActiveTrack that moved around when the subject moved around
2019-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hopefully it will, dji have become well known for adding features post release to their drones and cameras AT is probably the most used of all features so fingers crossed they will.
Good thread.
2019-11-4
Use props
monkeyseemonkey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United Kingdom

Having just sold my Mavic Air and ordered a Mini I'm really hoping it might become available in the future. I'm assuming the lack of Activetrack as well as some of the useful auto flight modes that were in the Air  are primarily due to the lack of collision sensing on the Mini. If that's the case I'd be willing to pay something within the App for 'advanced features' that unlock such features with the strict proviso that collision avoidance is not possible and you must fly with extreme caution.

Please DJI!
2019-11-4
Use props
Brightlights2001
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

This would be a great addition & hopefully DJI will implement this.
2019-11-5
Use props
monkeyseemonkey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United Kingdom

Reply from their support email:

"In regard to the Activetrack, currently, the Mavic Mini does not support ActiveTrack. In regard to Tapfly, we will forward your advice/Suggestion to our R&D Dept.. We will continue to optimize function to improve the user experience. Kindly constantly visit our link - www.dji.com for the latest updates on our technology and products.

Thank you for your great support and understanding.

Thank you for your kind understanding and choosing DJI products.

Best regards,

Paolo

DJI Technical Support"
2019-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

jh8 Posted at 11-3 10:46
I am still hopeful it is one of the features they just have not added to the new DJI Fly app.
Someone should decompile the APK to look for strings pointing to hidden/incomplete features.

If only we had access to the app to do this,  still not been released.
2019-11-5
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

monkeyseemonkey Posted at 11-5 03:09
Reply from their support email:

"In regard to the Activetrack, currently, the Mavic Mini does not support ActiveTrack. In regard to Tapfly, we will forward your advice/Suggestion to our R&D Dept.. We will continue to optimize function to improve the user experience. Kindly constantly visit our link - www.dji.com for the latest updates on our technology and products.

"Mavic Mini does not support ActiveTrack. I wonder what this means. I feel like they just don't want to give us ActiveTrack on what is supposed to be an "entry-level" drone.

I personally see this drone as a portable drone for professionals as well and would like to see ActiveTrack
2019-11-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-3 09:58

isn't it?
The skydio 2 and the GPS beacon in your hand/pocket would proof different!
2019-11-5
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 11-5 09:24
isn't it?
The skydio 2 and the GPS beacon in your hand/pocket would proof different!

SkyDio 2 doesn't just use GPS though. it's a combination of GPS and their version of ActiveTrack through the main camera (constrast-based tracking is popular). What i'm referring to is the tracking on the Phantom 3 drones where they only use GPS and the camera is fixed toward the general vicinity of your GPS location!
2019-11-5
Use props
RamonPoda
New

Slovenia

I agree, ..... I will wait until the Follow me mode will be insert.
2019-11-6
Use props
djiuser_8S3fa9vekmXD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170322 ft
Italy

100% agree, this is the key feature to have. In case I will buy very soon the new dji mini drone!!
Hope dji will add this feature in the next firmware release!
2019-11-6
Use props
djiuser_8S3fa9vekmXD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170322 ft
Italy

Last:
How we can....fly as you are...if we are not able to do everything while the Mavic mini records our best playful moments???
2019-11-6
Use props
ShadowZ
lvl.1
Canada

I was gonna pre order it, until I saw there is no activetrack...  Guess I will just wait and hope they will add it someday.
2019-11-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

They might release it later as they did with the Ronin-S and Activetrack 3.0.  You need a super light phone for it to work though.  The mount is pretty heavy and should be carbon fiber.

Need to put the lightest phone that would work on it like an iPod.  It would be better if DJI makes a camera/display for the Activetrack 3.0 to work and nothing else.
2019-11-6
Use props
Brightlights2001
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

Active track is a must & like others point out it shows a box around a person & adjusts for the modes shown available
2019-11-7
Use props
fansa1464dd3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2913 ft
Portugal

AntDX316 Posted at 11-6 20:41
They might release it later as they did with the Ronin-S and Activetrack 3.0.  You need a super light phone for it to work though.  The mount is pretty heavy and should be carbon fiber.

Need to put the lightest phone that would work on it like an iPod.  It would be better if DJI makes a camera/display for the Activetrack 3.0 to work and nothing else.

Sorry, what do you mean? What are talking about?
2019-11-7
Use props
Adriano Araujo
First Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Also TapFly. It's a MUST HAVE too.
2019-11-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Plus AEB photo mode!
2019-11-7
Use props
jh8
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Please create/use separate threads for additional requests to keep track of each feature!

AEB:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D712%26typeid%3D712
2019-11-7
Use props
Petrus8
lvl.1
Hungary

I agree 100%.
2019-11-7
Use props
djiuser_AdBGa3bgrANf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18140 ft
Italy

I hope they soon implement the ActiveTrack feature, I don't think there are any problems at the hardware level it's just a software problem
I've already purchased the drone on October 30th....
2019-11-7
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

Without it, the Mini falls behind in even the most basic features for 2019. It does have a lot of solid features but none of them can be considered ground-breaking.
2019-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules