Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Feature Request] Mavic Mini ActiveTrack
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_GyCj6ZmVf0y1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Agree 100% I would love active track
2019-12-25
Use props
Gpop24
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2552 ft
United States

Really excited, as I just received my Mavic Mini as a Christmas present, but it was very disappointing to learn that it does not have even a basic follow-me function which after reading through this thread is actually referred to as ActiveTrack. Please add this functionality. I think if you were to add some of the suggested features/functions as suggested you would corner this segment of the drone market in a heart beat.
2019-12-25
Use props
djiuser_orNjmGTyVs2g
New

United States

To help entice the  DJI C-Suite, sell it as an add on feature.
I am OK with an additional $50 for this capability.
2019-12-26
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Doesn't active track needs some form of obstacle avoidance capability, which is hardware a mini will never have

Without OA isn't active track a problem waiting to happen ?

e.g. Your walking a trail are you going to be looking over your shoulder all the time to see if the drone is clearing all the trees etc.

It just doesn't seem logical

2019-12-26
Use props
Krissie Pearse
lvl.1

New Zealand

Added one line

So, I saw this advert on facebook, and well....

I tried to experience simplified flying, but the drone doesn't have an active tracking feature of any sort. This means that while cycling along, I need to have the controls strapped to the handlebars and fly as I ride, watching the drone and watching the footage simultaneously as I attempt to ride my bike and pilot the drone while keeping myself center frame. Needless to say, that's a bit too risky.

So I tried having someone else ride my bike, and being able to simultaneously control altitude, yaw and direction while watching the drone to avoid obstacles, and simultaneously keeping the subject in the center of the frame? Well, it's just not that simple, is it?

DJI needs to include at least a basic "keep the subject in the center of frame", if not some form of basic "track the object in the rectangle" if you're in any way serious about this being a "simplified" flight experience. As it stands, you have to be a pro pilot just to get simple shots that contain anything that actually moves at all.

Indeed, some manner of active tracking, or at least some form of active subject-centering, takes pressure off the pilot and allows more attention to be switched to other things... like, for example, flying the drone safely.

Now, while you wouldn't want to be looking over your shoulder all the time while walking through a forest to check that your drone isn't about to hit a tree, not every desirable simple shot involves taking video of yourself, and not every desirable simple shot involves not looking at your drone. Indeed, some countries have the not-exactly-insensible requirement that the drone be within the line (and extent) of sight of its pilot at all times.

So... yeah... this is not a simple flying experience unless all you want is the same old shots of people being still, or for that matter, no people at all. In actual fact, it's quite an advanced flying experience that requires a considerable amount of practice, by which time a competitor will have released a drone that isn't as difficult to use at the same price point.

Oh wait... they did. So I guess we're just waiting until DJI doesn't quite have the same reputation to trade on and a competitor picks up the slack. But surely they'd have to make some serious mistakes for that to happen?

Oh wait... they did. They released the Mavic Mini without something that even some toy drones have. (I assumed, and I shouldn't have. Never the less, I am a deeply unimpressed new DJI customer. I may be somebody elses customer soon, however.)
2019-12-26
Use props
djiuser_0ZQWcQKPdBzF
lvl.1
United Kingdom

"DJI needs to include at least a basic keep the subject in the center of frame" I completely agree with this matter, it is something essential to be able to film a subject without problems and enjoy the experience.
2019-12-27
Use props
DonGuido
lvl.4
Flight distance : 532028 ft
United Kingdom

GPS Tracking uses less processing power than active tracking. And as we can see MM is capable of active tracking, (use any quickshot mode and walk, you can see that MM will follow you), so it is not a matter of a cheap drone compared to Pros, it is capable, but DJI choose not to enable it.

The Cons with GPS tracking is that would be more Data being transferred in and out between RC and MM. Not sure how this is handled so can't comment further on that.
2019-12-28
Use props
djiuser_xLLwVHzBGuQp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23645 ft

Australia

#DJI add active tracking firmware to the #mavicmini thanks
2019-12-28
Use props
Ryan Forth
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This is the only thing stopping me from buying this drone. If it had active track I would buy it but I'm not prepared to pay the extra for the mavic air.
2019-12-28
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

For the guys saying that AT cannot be enabled on MMbecause it does not have obstacle avoidance  - it's not like Mavic 2 is stellar on AT, also if you enable the fast tracking mode it will disable the obstacle avoidance feature. So ?...
Also see how a real Active track should work in comparison...

2019-12-30
Use props
djiuser_bqIeK0gyvqoL
lvl.1

Portugal

Really DJI? No follow me mode? This should be in bold, I was going to buy this but luckily found someone complaining there's no such function. Canceling my plans...
2020-1-1
Use props
asgoslar
lvl.1

Germany

I got my Mavic Mini Fly Combo for Christmas. Thought she had a tracking system.
Since I drive a sports boat and want to use the MM for this, a tracking system is necessary.
Now I'm thinking about sending it back.
There are cheaper drones with a tracking system.
2020-1-2
Use props
Cdpils
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24948 ft
Germany

Hopefully now coming, otherwise would be kind of a let down.
2020-1-2
Use props
AlexanderN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51063 ft
Germany

First of all: I am quite happy with my Mavic Mini so far.

I was fully aware that AT is not included before buying. I assumed this is all down to marketing, as in users who need AT have to pay more for it. A part of me still hopes it is a matter of finalizing the software and AT being supported in the future, let's see...

While I would understand that DJI wants to keep AT more premium, it would be a huge missed opportunity because the portability of the Mini is amazing and it would be the perfect drone for all outdoor sport activity,.... If AT is supported.

Coming back to the first sentence. Yes I am happy with the drone. But the missing AT hurts more every day. The more I come to love the mini the more I miss AT, as I see all the missed shots that I could have taken.
Buying a more "pro", more expensive, larger, heavier drone that supports AT is not an option for me when going outside for sports, so I stick with the Mini and wait.

Let's see what the future brings
2020-1-2
Use props
Attila_Mv
lvl.1

Denmark

I agree 100%.
I totally agree,  it should have Activetrack or at least basic FollwMe mode
2020-1-3
Use props
Cal Evans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

I agree with you on the fact that this would be a killer feature for the mini. Given that the Mini was originally designed as a beginner drone but I'm seeing more and more hobbyists and professionals buy it for the portability. I think it would be a good idea for DJI to sell a firmware upgrade that unlocks all of the normal features of other DJI drones, or even lets it work with the DJI Go 4 App.

As an add-on or an upgrade, this would be great for those of us who want to take the mini to the next level but understand the risks.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-1-3
Use props
steliosmad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128376 ft
Greece

Active track would be a good add on
2020-1-5
Use props
steliosmad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128376 ft
Greece

Also to give more time for the quickshots.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_l6mTIF2x0YXX
lvl.1
United States

100% agree. Please add this feature.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_WZKOCcZdcD7Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 45974 ft
Czechia

100% agree. Add this feature and panorama and POI. And we will love Mini
2020-1-5
Use props
bmw330vasilis
New

Greece

POI and active track!
And the MM is the best mini in market!
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I can't believe all these people who happily believe that any feature is simply a new set of firmware/software. The aircraft requires a powerful image processor to do follow me, and it does not have one. End of story.
2020-1-5
Use props
fans667a6047
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 1-5 13:00
I can't believe all these people who happily believe that any feature is simply a new set of firmware/software. The aircraft requires a powerful image processor to do follow me, and it does not have one. End of story.

The camera is a high definition sensor that is used for active track
The mini is almost the perfect holiday drone I have a flymore on order I am just about to cancel it without active track we’re not able to use it for activity sports
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans667a6047 Posted at 1-5 13:17
The camera is a high definition sensor that is used for active track
The mini is almost the perfect holiday drone I have a flymore on order I am just about to cancel it without active track we’re not able to use it for activity sports

The camera has almost nothing to do with Active Track. It requires a powerful image processor to do all the work of identifying the target in the image and controlling the airc raft. DJI did not put an image processor of the required power in the Mini because it is a cheap drone. It does not, and will not get the AT feature, so go ahead and cancel it, then save up and buy a more expensive model that has the feature.
2020-1-5
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

I can't believe all these people who happily believe that any feature is simply a new set of firmware/software. The aircraft requires a powerful image processor to do follow me, and it does not have one. End of story.

MM is already tracking a subject with its quickshots... Why do you think it would be hard for it to do that? The thing is partially exists, it just needed to be tweaked a little bit.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_WZKOCcZdcD7Y
lvl.3
Czechia

Geebax Posted at 1-5 13:22
The camera has almost nothing to do with Active Track. It requires a powerful image processor to do all the work of identifying the target in the image and controlling the airc raft. DJI did not put an image processor of the required power in the Mini because it is a cheap drone. It does not, and will not get the AT feature, so go ahead and cancel it, then save up and buy a more expensive model that has the feature.

Mavic Mini has powerfull image processor Ambarella H22 and this processor is “designed” to manage 4K video at 60fps! We can hope that DJI bring 4K on Mavic Mini. But in the first time we want Active Tracking 3.0, POI and Panorama.
2020-1-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_WZKOCcZdcD7Y Posted at 1-5 13:41
Mavic Mini has powerfull image processor Ambarella H22 and this processor is “designed” to manage 4K video at 60fps! We can hope that DJI bring 4K on Mavic Mini. But in the first time we want Active Tracking 3.0, POI and Panorama.

So you buy the cheapest aircraft in the DJI range, and then whine about having all the features upgraded to a better version - all for free. What a fool.
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_WZKOCcZdcD7Y
lvl.3
Czechia

Geebax Posted at 1-5 13:45
So you buy the cheapest aircraft in the DJI range, and then whine about having all the features upgraded to a better version - all for free. What a fool.

I want small dran for traveling. Mavic Mini has perfect flying time, very good video and photo. I know that is starter dron from DJI similar as Spark....and Spark has more features.... DJI can make in-app purchase for more features or paid app DJI FLY Pro with active tracking, panorama, POI, etc..
and i think that lot of us happy pay for more features on mavic mini.
2020-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_WZKOCcZdcD7Y Posted at 1-5 14:02
I want small dran for traveling. Mavic Mini has perfect flying time, very good video and photo. I know that is starter dron from DJI similar as Spark....and Spark has more features.... DJI can make in-app purchase for more features or paid app DJI FLY Pro with active tracking, panorama, POI, etc..
and i think that lot of us happy pay for more features on mavic mini.

It’s not much smaller than Mavic Air and that has all the features your looking for, I don’t think dji are in the business of selling features just as no tech company is .
2020-1-5
Use props
djiuser_Lmd0BkRGXmsH
New

Czechia

Please do a firmware update so that Mini has Active Tracking ... Thank you
2020-1-6
Use props
fans750cda65
New

Norway

Hi!
I just switched from a Parrot Bebop 2 to the Mavic Mini and took it for granted that a drone in the Mavic family had Active Tracking.
The Bebop 2 in comparison is heavier but has:
-Upbto 30 min flight time
-No obstacle avoidance system
-Pre-flight planting for Flying by waypoints.
-Active Tracking / follow-me mode’s
-Dronie and other predefined functions.

DJI, please update functions for the Mavic Mini....
2020-1-6
Use props
_honzab_
Flight distance : 2377808 ft
Czechia

MM can already track objects while in quickshot. Please add Active track.
2020-1-6
Use props
OkosTobias
Germany

I guess it won`t get active track ever. Why? Not because of lack of necessary image processing and object recognizing capabilities (it does it in quickshot) or because of fear from collision with obstacles lacking avoidance sensors.

IMO it is because a dji drone supposedly uses the informations of the front obstacle sensors while performing a follow me flight to keep the distance, not just the image informations from the camera. It cannot be done properly without it. How should the drone know the correct flight direction if you move? It could analyze the size of the tracked object and keep distance to keep it the same all the time but my guess is that this method would not be reliable enough for a "seamless user experience" dji is aiming.

Just imagine: you want the drone float at a constant distance of 5-10 meters ahead of you while walking. How should it keep distance properly without distance sensors? Even more difficult situation: the drone should float and follow you ahead of you at an angle of let´s say 30-60°. You start walking or riding. How should it determine the correct direction if it cannot measure the distance to the target lacking OAS?
Is there really other drones on the market doing follow me without OAS?
2020-1-6
Use props
SUNNY 2461
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275197 ft
Bangladesh

I vote for it also
2020-1-6
Use props
izotop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

mavic air is much more tech supported drone (but it's noisy with that high pitch), if you want small drone. you can get it second hand for reasonable amount this days, probably..

look at the data sheet at 19:38

2020-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans750cda65 Posted at 1-6 01:26
Hi!
I just switched from a Parrot Bebop 2 to the Mavic Mini and took it for granted that a drone in the Mavic family had Active Tracking.
The Bebop 2 in comparison is heavier but has:

How much for bebop2 parrot Anafi , I think €720 almost twice the price of Mavic mini, do you really expect to have the same features ?
2020-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

People buy Mavic mini but want Mavic 2pro ;+)...
2020-1-6
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 130466 ft
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 1-6 05:42
People buy Mavic mini but want Mavic 2pro ;+)...

The processor is the same one found in the mavic pro/2/air, so yes, adding some of the features is a firmware/software update.

We don't want the mavic 2 pro (I actually already have), we want basic features like active track that the mini already has (and already work up to a certain point), to fully work during quickshots like trace/spotlight.

We understand that there will be some limitations, mainly for commercial reasons, but basic follow me/subject tracking, that are found in simpler and cheaper drones (that like the mini don't have collision sensors), should have been available on the Mini from the launch.
2020-1-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Johnny Danger Posted at 1-6 07:22
The processor is the same one found in the mavic pro/2/air, so yes, adding some of the features is a firmware/software update.

We don't want the mavic 2 pro (I actually already have), we want basic features like active track that the mini already has (and already work up to a certain point), to fully work during quickshots like trace/spotlight.

" should have been available on the Mini from the launch."

There is no "should have". DJI did not offer these other features in the advertising for the Mini, they did not make any promise to add them later. The specs for the Mini were advertised on their web site, so you look at the information, you make your choice, and that's that. You act as if you have some God-given right to expect more features to be added to the aircraft via updates - you don't.
2020-1-6
Use props
TDZHDTV
First Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Let’s hope DJI update the Mini with the features the Spark had, after all the Spark has been replaced by the Mini.  Seems like a reasonable request to me moving forward.
2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules