101374 483 2019-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevMonster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132054 ft
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 1-12 07:56
because this drone is not meant to have active tracking!
Go for the higher class of DJI drones.

That's not what I asked?!

I would like to know if the hardware/software limitations are the reason for not having the ActiveTrack feature.
2020-1-12
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

TrevMonster Posted at 1-12 08:05
That's not what I asked?!

I would like to know if the hardware/software limitations are the reason for not having the ActiveTrack feature.

That IS the reason, why the Mini has no active tracking!
DJI will not kill their upper class drones, the Mini is a entry-level drone,
with limited capabilities.
Furthermore, there are no anti-collision sensors.
2020-1-12
Use props
cK-mini
lvl.3
Indonesia

UweE Posted at 1-12 09:00

agreed 100% for the anti-collision sensor.. even it has active track.. how can MM avoid obstacle with no sensor at all... maybe developer would give "IRON MAN vission software" to MM.. LOL..
2020-1-12
Use props
Sarge Lausage
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104455 ft
United States

cK-mini Posted at 1-12 10:55
agreed 100% for the anti-collision sensor.. even it has active track.. how can MM avoid obstacle with no sensor at all... maybe developer would give "IRON MAN vission software" to MM.. LOL..

The Spark has active track and only fronty OA sensors so it can still crash if it is strafing. I don't know if that is the best argument.
2020-1-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sarge Lausage Posted at 1-13 10:49
The Spark has active track and only fronty OA sensors so it can still crash if it is strafing. I don't know if that is the best argument.

P4PV2.0 has side sensors but it doesn't really work too well.
2020-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sarge Lausage Posted at 1-13 10:49
The Spark has active track and only fronty OA sensors so it can still crash if it is strafing. I don't know if that is the best argument.

So did the first drone to have AT The P4, I think this is the most logical answer for this question and although I know most people would fly fine with no OA it’s not the point here, all flying manned and unmanned use redundancy in how they apply safety and while the risk here is not great it still exists, I believe safety should never be watered down we all depend on it why do we need the risk.
Yes I know spark has it with only Front OA but that’s the standard.
2020-1-13
Use props
Dronehiker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71237 ft
Portugal

With SDK release someone will do what DJI doesn’t want to do and we will have a third party developer giving us Active Track. Just a matter of time really.
2020-1-13
Use props
Krissie Pearse
lvl.1

New Zealand

Found a cheap ($199 NZ) drone at Warehouse with Active Tracking and a 20 min flight time.

Doubts it's all that good, but it's better than nothing.... and nothing is precisely what I've got from DJI, so there's that.

If DJI is relying on only it's high end models having any form of active tracking as the reason for people to buy them... Well, that's not a model that will see DJI in business for very long.

These times they are a changin'. Keep up, DJI!

2020-1-13
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

Meteor? It should fall from the sky like a stone
2020-1-13
Use props
AssassinX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26329 ft
United States

At CES I asked one of the DJI employees about this and his response centered around two main points:
1) The MM lacks the OA sensors needed for tracking features due to the 249g weight objective
2) They want people to have an upgrade path to their more premium drones to get more features. MM is meant to be an entry into the brand and the lack of "advanced" features was intentionally omitted.

I don't necessarily agree with this but just stating what he told me.
2020-1-13
Use props
Krissie Pearse
lvl.1

New Zealand

Donsir_LTU Posted at 1-13 23:13
Meteor? It should fall from the sky like a stone

Probably... but it does the job of tracking better than the Mavic Mini does, however bad it is.

And this is the kind of truthful statement that DJI could really do with avoiding.
2020-1-13
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I dont care about active tracking at all. I just need camera control, minor GUI changes (fix the upper screen part, for a better view of telemetry info...) and maby a Sport mode when RTH initiated. This is my opinion
2020-1-13
Use props
daddydowsegmail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119839 ft

United Kingdom

We won't see AT as the drone has no sensors for safety.
2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_MC73sRRKG2xQ
New

Finland

ICDroneSE Posted at 2019-11-3 10:00
This is also a good argument! I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in your situation and adding ActiveTrack would boost popularity and sales!

Do you realize that you are saying that you would buy the Mini IF it had Active Track but because it doesn't you are thinking about the air? That is exactly the reason they won't do it. If it had activetrack you would buy a 500 eur drone and if it doesn't you buy a 900 eur one. Which one Dji prefers you to do?
2020-1-14
Use props
djiuser_eSX6cx4tF9yd
New
United States

I just purchased the Mavic Mini after trying out Hubsan Zino Pro.  It was $380 and had orbit mode, active track, even gps flight points as well as 4K video... I think I may send my mavic mini back and go back to the Zino because I loved being able to have my drone track me and my partner when we went hiking... so it’s sad it doesn’t have it when it would be very easy for you guys to put it in a firmware update.
2020-1-15
Use props
Pooflord
New
United States

Can’t edit my post on my iPad but the Zino was 380 and the mavic mini with way less features and only about 4 minute extra flight time was $499 for the pack I got.. hardly seems worth it... add active track or follow mode....
2020-1-15
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Very recently, I made a small video of my car https://forum.dji.com/thread-206559-1-1.html follow me mode for this type of videos is NECESSARY, I have commented it many times, but I have the Phantom 3 with this active mode and it does not have sensors either.
I understand that the Mini can be a drone of INITIATION (although I do not share that thought) but removing the difference in weight and power of engines, is the same as the Phantom 3.
It's just my thought, I hope to use the Mini very soon with Litchi, looking forward to the month of April eagerly.
Greetings to all
2020-1-15
Use props
nargzul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164429 ft
Switzerland

What a shame. I was 2 click from buying the mavic mini, but this was before I knew there is no active track .
2020-1-15
Use props
fans3f669b60
lvl.3
Flight distance : 764623 ft
Slovenia

Active track would be great, but not much possible..

FIRST step towards tracking would be to support it in Active shots.

MY IDEA : https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=206944

Please support it, if you would like to see it.
2020-1-15
Use props
Antz_20
New

Australia

Dji Say they wont support active track on the Mavic Mini because it dosnt have Collision avoidance but how come they added follow me and other intelligent flight modes to the PHANTOM 3 in a firmware update which also does not have Collision avoidance?
2020-1-16
Use props
djiuser_BfkLntfsj6fK
New

Poland

JM.REYES Posted at 1-15 04:59
Very recently, I made a small video of my car https://forum.dji.com/thread-206559-1-1.html follow me mode for this type of videos is NECESSARY, I have commented it many times, but I have the Phantom 3 with this active mode and it does not have sensors either.
I understand that the Mini can be a drone of INITIATION (although I do not share that thought) but removing the difference in weight and power of engines, is the same as the Phantom 3.
It's just my thought, I hope to use the Mini very soon with Litchi, looking forward to the month of April eagerly.

What happens in April? What's your source? Dji, please address this thread!
2020-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have to say that although I have expressed my opinion to say AT will not come for mini , this thread has been very successful in putting members wishes forward and congrats to the OP for posting and causing good debate good job .
2020-1-17
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

fans3f669b60 Posted at 1-15 13:06
Active track would be great, but not much possible..

FIRST step towards tracking would be to support it in Active shots.

Could you explain better what "your idea" is? QuickShots already track the subject, so what is it exactly you're asking?
2020-1-17
Use props
sonique6784
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63314 ft
Australia

I guess the feature request is actually "Follow Mode"
2020-1-17
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Switzerland

djiuser_BfkLntfsj6fK Posted at 1-17 16:58
What happens in April? What's your source? Dji, please address this thread!

The SDK will be released in April, I don't have the source right now but it was confirmed by a official DJI statement here at the forum and also on their Github page
2020-1-17
Use props
Miixxa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280682 ft
Finland

djiuser_MC73sRRKG2xQ Posted at 1-14 12:55
Do you realize that you are saying that you would buy the Mini IF it had Active Track but because it doesn't you are thinking about the air? That is exactly the reason they won't do it. If it had activetrack you would buy a 500 eur drone and if it doesn't you buy a 900 eur one. Which one Dji prefers you to do?
Yeah DJI probably also thinks that taking out key features from Mini convinces people to buy more expensive drones like Air or daddy Mavics.
I think this is complete foolery, because what this kind of artificial nerfing actually does, is frustrate the customers and drive them to buy other products like cheaper/similarly priced but fully equipped with all the features Hubsan Zino or Fimi X8...

I actually was contemplating with this also before buying Mini, but I didn't want the big mavics or the Air with it's inferior transmission quality.
Now I'm thinking if I should return the mini just after few weeks...

And I get why we don't have 4K and such.
But the reasoning of missing OA is total bull. Mavic 1 didn't have OA on the sides it's usually travelling to while active tracking and it still had tracking.
DJI could easily add the active track behind a liability release menu and whoever wants toncan then use it on their own, but instead they rather lose customers to other brands.
2020-1-18
Use props
djiuser_6TFjsHdJRoRK
lvl.1

Hungary

MikeCH Posted at 1-17 23:58
The SDK will be released in April, I don't have the source right now but it was confirmed by a official DJI statement here at the forum and also on their Github page

2020-1-18
Use props
djiuser_6TFjsHdJRoRK
lvl.1

Hungary

2020-1-18
Use props
white_puma
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149872 ft
Australia

+1 for active tracking.

Was about to jump on the DJI bandwagon and invest in the mini, but i think i'll be putting it on hold until active tracking comes to fruition.
2020-1-19
Use props
white_puma
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149872 ft
Australia

Miixxa Posted at 1-18 00:00
Yeah DJI probably also thinks that taking out key features from Mini convinces people to buy more expensive drones like Air or daddy Mavics.
I think this is complete foolery, because what this kind of artificial nerfing actually does, is frustrate the customers and drive them to buy other products like cheaper/similarly priced but fully equipped with all the features Hubsan Zino or Fimi X8...

I completely agree. my plan was to buy the mini to get into drone flying....and if i liked it, i'll invest into the pro's. But having seen the mini doesn't have active tracking it defeats the purpose of what i wanted to use my DJI for....as a result i'll be holding off until they announce active tracking for the mini.

Regarding the obstacle detection, i'm not too fussed. i definitely prefer it to have OD, but its not a deal breaker for me, and i understand that adding those additional sensors do add weight to the unit.
2020-1-19
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It does track you doing quickshots. If you walk it follows you to keep you in the frame. It is possible. I think it will come in the future in the app. As others said, once the SDK is released apps like Litchi will feature it.

It's the same with the video settings like ISO, Shutter Speed etc. If you have video subtitles on it tells you what the automatic settings were for that so the drone does have control over them but the app has yet to feature them. Maybe soon hopefully... I want white balance at least.
2020-1-19
Use props
MBender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 807116 ft
Poland

The Mini definitely needs a few more extra features, Active Tracking included (also, please, white-balance settings or at least a lock!).

On some level I understand why DJI might have cut some features form this drone - why buy a bigger drone if the smaller, and cheaper one, will suffice? But the primary aspect, for a lot of people, will be the size and weight; the extra SOFTWARE feature will not change that and, as someone mentioned, the lack of these features won't make other DJI drones more appealing... just making using the Mini more frustrating. Not to mention the biggest reason to get another DJI drone is in the 2,7K limitation of the Mini. Anyone interested in making any kind of "pro" content will be getting the other drones anyway.

Yes, the Mini lacks OA. So? It can already hit something when doing the various quickshots if the user isn't careful.
2020-1-20
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

MBender Posted at 1-20 05:13
The Mini definitely needs a few more extra features, Active Tracking included (also, please, white-balance settings or at least a lock!).

On some level I understand why DJI might have cut some features form this drone - why buy a bigger drone if the smaller, and cheaper one, will suffice? But the primary aspect, for a lot of people, will be the size and weight; the extra SOFTWARE feature will not change that and, as someone mentioned, the lack of these features won't make other DJI drones more appealing... just making using the Mini more frustrating. Not to mention the biggest reason to get another DJI drone is in the 2,7K limitation of the Mini. Anyone interested in making any kind of "pro" content will be getting the other drones anyway.

I totally agree with you.
I bought the Mini (my first Drone ever) especially because of its weight and size. I mean, these both things were my main criteria to get my first drone because i don't want to hook up a 1m² 50kg drone in my backpack while hiking or mountainbiking and I will not consider buying a "better" one, the money doesn't matter to me, so i really think it's a bitchy move from DJI to simply restrict software-functions which could easily implemented (because they're actually already kinda there right now: Quickshots).

I really hope they change their minds...
2020-1-20
Use props
MARTINEZX
lvl.4
Poland

Christian U Posted at 2019-11-30 16:28
I think IF thats an business decision and not just not implemented DJI should revert it.
It makes no sense to have Active Track 3.0 on 99 Eur Osmo Mobile, but not on 399 Eur Mavic Mini.

99 osmo mobile can not fly
2020-1-21
Use props
Tom Eisenhut
New

New Zealand

I bought a drone 3 years ago, it was a reasonably cheap one. I've been using it quite often and recently thought it was time for an upgrade.
So the search began and straight away the Mavic Mini came to my attention. Everything about it looks great and after watching a couple reviews on youtube I was basically sold.
Before hitting the buy button I was fortunate enough to find out that the Mavic Mini does not support the 'follow me' 'active track' which was an instant turn off. This lead me to do more research and found that there are many drones in the same price rang as the Mavic Mini that offer these features. I would say that DJI have shot themselves in the foot as I am sure that many other people will, like myself, choose a competing brand over DJI for this reason alone.
I obviously realise that DJI are current market leaders for commercial drones but if they make too many more 'mistakes' like that this one how long will they hold on to the top spot?

Message from a very disappointed potential DJI customer
2020-1-25
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 1-12 09:00

The Spark had active track and many more features, it was not a Mavic Air killer, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the Spark functionality on DJI base drone after all it replaced the Spark.
2020-1-25
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 1-19 18:52
It does track you doing quickshots. If you walk it follows you to keep you in the frame. It is possible. I think it will come in the future in the app. As others said, once the SDK is released apps like Litchi will feature it.

It's the same with the video settings like ISO, Shutter Speed etc. If you have video subtitles on it tells you what the automatic settings were for that so the drone does have control over them but the app has yet to feature them. Maybe soon hopefully... I want white balance at least.

Yeah, if you put a ND16 on the camera it holds 100 iso and just drops the shutter speed, which is encouraging.  Unfortunately while this forum is full of individuals says ‘it’s just a cheap drone’, we’ll never see DJI add the Spark features.
2020-1-25
Use props
Keithkool69603
New

United States

If active track can be put on the drone then it should be that simple
2020-1-26
Use props
NewPilot1063
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I think I read somewhere that DJI are hesitant to add ActiveTrack to the MM due to its lack of collision sensors. Poor excuse if you ask me.
2020-1-27
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

That would not be a reason, quite the contrary ... it would be good for DJI. Without sensors > more crashes in AT mode > more repairs > more earnings for them ;-) But we will probably not find out the reason, as well as whether the wishes and inquiries are noticed.
2020-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules