Hyperlapse, horrible Youtube Quality
2345 32 2019-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Hi All

Just tried a Hyperlapse, hiking in the mountains today. You can see the video below. I was horrified to see how bad the quality was after uploading to Youtube. I'm aware of the bad lighning conditions in the beginning, but look at the blue sky through out the videos, blocks of pixels, banding, etc. It's horrible!
The video was exported from FCP 10, master file in Apple ProRes 422, so yes, I uploaded a 3+ GB to Youtube, and waited for YT to render it to 1080.
The Hyperlapse was shot in 2.7k 15x, exported as 1080.
I know that YT compression can be bad, but this just looks awful. I have uploaded other "normal" OA videos to YT that looks ok, this is my first Hyperlapse.

2019-11-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about the situation. May we know if you've managed to upload this hyperlapse in a different software to see if this would be the same? if so, and the problem is isolated on youtube platform, this may due to the limitation when uploading a video. Please let us know the latest progress. Thank you for your support.
2019-11-3
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Not easy to figure out youtube.

I have on occasions up scaled 1080p footage to 4K as YT seem to be more gentle to that.

A 4K OA hyperlapse of mine

A speed up drive video of mine ( sjcam SJ6 legend ) up scaled to 4K and speed up in post.

2019-11-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sometimes it takes time for YT to render a good version.
But this is still bad. |
How is the original footage?
2019-11-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would export this as 4k, mp4 h264 and then upload that to Youtube,  You can see by the quality of the text that its not just the video that looks poor which rules out the OSMO.
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-4 00:20
I would export this as 4k, mp4 h264 and then upload that to Youtube,  You can see by the quality of the text that its not just the video that looks poor which rules out the OSMO.

If you remember to set the playback quality to 1080 the text looks ok to me. But, the original footage is ok. It’s the YT version that sucks.
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-3 13:25
Sometimes it takes time for YT to render a good version.
But this is still bad. |
How is the original footage?

The original footage is ok. So it’s not the OA.
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

peiter Posted at 11-3 12:25
Not easy to figure out youtube.

I have on occasions up scaled 1080p footage to 4K as YT seem to be more gentle to that.

Thanks for the tip. Will try that.
2019-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BrianSC Posted at 11-4 00:50
The original footage is ok. So it’s not the OA.

And the rendered version from the editor?
How does that look?
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-4 01:01
And the rendered version from the editor?
How does that look?

Looks decent.
2019-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ok, that makes it even more curious.
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-4 06:21
Ok, that makes it even more curious.

If  it were the rendered version I would be even more worried, since it wold either be the original footage or a problem with Final Cut Pro. But it seems to be a problem with Youtube.

That said, when I render a .264 compressed version, I have to say that the rendered version doesn't look too god, but the Apple ProRes 422 looks ok, and that is the version I uploaded to Youtube. Obviously, YT is going to compress a huge file like that a lot, but not destroy it completely. From what I have read, the better the quality you upload, the less it will be destroyed by YT recompressing the file again.
2019-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BrianSC Posted at 11-4 06:44
If  it were the renderes version I would be even more worried, since it wold either be the original footage or a problem with Final Cut Pro. But it seems to be a problem with Youtube.

That said, when I render a .264 compressed version, I have to say that the rendered version doesn't look too god, but the Apple ProRes 422 looks ok, and that is the version I uploaded to Youtube. Obviously, YT is going to compress a huge file like that a lot, but not destroy it completely. From what I have read, the better the quality you upload, the less it will be destroyed by YT recompressing the file again.

You might want to check a small cut of the full video rendered with various settings and upload them all to YT for comparison.
2019-11-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

At 2:40ish my Hyperlapse looks SOWEET!. so what did  I do to get that correct,  or what  did youtube do?  going t oreload in different  renders I guess. see what happens

2019-11-4
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

It is my feeling that the recoding on youtube amplify imperfections in footage.
So if there are a little macro blocking ASO youtube will make that worse, on the other hand i have also seen pretty damn good looking footage get raped most horrible.
2019-11-4
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Well... First off, most of the time you had the sun shining on the lens...
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Actually, looking very closely, the original, raw unedited 2.7k directly from the camera, it not really perfect. No nearly as bad as on YT, but not perfect, as far as I can see. The rendered version is the same. Funny thing, when look at the rendered video, full screen within FCP, it kinds of look better. Maybe I'm going crazy here.
Haven't tried to render upscale to 4K yet, haven't had time, but I'm not sure my computer can crunch 4K videos either.
Anyway, the YT version, is way way way worse than the original file.
2019-11-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thought i said at 2:4oish Hyperlapse, yep I did but thanks for that
2019-11-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Mov file to MP4 at 60mbbs rendered.  think that settles it for me works..

2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Fishycomics Posted at 11-4 15:00
Mov file to MP4 at 60mbbs rendered.  think that settles it for me works..

https://youtu.be/TAckJ9Q5efU

Looks good to me.
2019-11-4
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

didn't have time now to render the whole video in 4K (old computer) so I just did the first 9 seconds upscaled from the original 2.7k to 4k and exported to ProRes 422 in Final Cut Pro, and uploaded the uncompressed file to Youtube. This is the result. Looks better to me. Next time I will try do to a hyperlapse in 4K and render and upload in 4K and share the result.

I have discovered though, that it looks better in Chrome than in Safari. Weird...
2019-11-4
Use props
BobMutchSD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74623 ft
United States

My Hyperlapse Disappeared!? I updated to Firmware 1.06.00.20 when it first came out; and confirmed hyperlapse was there.

Last weekend, I was on a trip, and wanted to take a hyperlapse of my walk around downtown Minneapolis. Hyperlapse Option Was GONE!

Upon returning home, I looked through all the menus, confirmed I had the latest firmware... I even did a factory reset. Nothing. No Hyperlapse. Most disturbing is the lack of any information on this online. Between this and the microphone adapter issue, I'm more than a little frustrated with DJI.

Anybody have any ideas regarding my missing Hyperlapse?
2019-11-6
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Different players give different results for sure, this video demo me playing 3 videos ( 4K/60 H.265 ) using the 2 build in options in windows 10 and VLC player, and clearly windows media player suck.

2019-11-6
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Have you tried to reset the camera to default ?
2019-11-6
Use props
BobMutchSD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74623 ft
United States

peiter Posted at 11-6 10:50

Have you tried to reset the camera to default ?

I did a supposed Factory Reset... No change. Hyperlapse was just There one day, and Gone the next.
2019-11-6
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Strange, i just checked my camera, and its there alright.
2019-11-7
Use props
fans8c6415f8
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hyperlapse

I have exactly the same problem in 2022. I thought it was my slow Internet connection, but it's YouTube. I can't fix it completely, but if I render it at 120fps, it improves it quite a bit - still not very good but better. I wish there was some way to contact YouTube for their guidance on hyperlapse. I take my hyperlapse from my car and notice that YouTube renders it fine at the start while the car is stopped, but as soon as we start moving, it goes blocky. Of course I've waited until YouTube has finished processing to 4K before I checked.Images below: 1st one is YouTube, 2nd one if same frame in original rendered video before upload.

youtube snapshot from videoproc 4k.jpg
videoproc test2 4k 120fps.mp4_snapshot_02.32_[2022.12.31_19.19.35].jpg
2022-12-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

when you open youtube up, on the upper right
2022-12-31
Use props
fans8c6415f8
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 12-31 11:37
when you open youtube up, on the upper right [view_image]

Thanks, but I don't get that option. My channel is fairly new and I presume I've got to get to a certain level to be able to chat to Creator Support? I may never get there unless I solve the quality problem though :-)
2022-12-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

fans8c6415f8 Posted at 12-31 12:38
Thanks, but I don't get that option. My channel is fairly new and I presume I've got to get to a certain level to be able to chat to Creator Support? I may never get there unless I solve the quality problem though :-)

you may be right on that.  in order t get a better quality, what format are you rendering to. and the bitrate,
2022-12-31
Use props
fans8c6415f8
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I've tried allsorts of export settings. I use VideoProc, but I've tried the same clip in other editors with even worse YouTube results.

The VideoProc export settings are:
4k (I've tried 1080p as well)
Quality Lossless (I've tried medium quality setting as well)
Codec AVC (H.264)
FPS 60 (tried 29.97, 30 and 120 as well)
Bitrate variable (if I click on Constant, it puts in a default of 6750kbps)

Sorry I wasn't sure what bits of information you could use so I've just given you them all.
My feeling is that it's something to do with hyperlapse itself - each frame has more variation than normal speed videos so maybe YouTube compression can't cope with that so easily?
2023-1-1
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

videoproc vlogger is a good software editor.     maybe  upload a link to your actual video,
2023-1-1
Use props
fans8c6415f8
lvl.2

United Kingdom

One example is:

It starts off fine, but by about a minute in it's lost loads of quality and by 1.21, when a green   lorry passes, you can't even make out the lettering on the side.
2023-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules