Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Canada Mavic Mini in controlled airspace?
638 21 11-4 12:16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15164 ft
Canada

I'm new to drones and have been looking at the rules in my country for flying (Canada). The Mavic Mini is sub 250g and is classified as a micro-drone so the regulations are limited to "flying responsibly." This makes it a great choice for me except that I live in a control zone. It's class C airspace and I want to fly about 5 km from the center of the control zone in a small park near my house. Would the Mavic mini be able to takeoff here? Or would DJI's geofencing prevent it from takeoff?

Any insight would be appreciated. (I previously posted accidentally in the mavic forum but couldn't find a way to remove my thread)

11-4 12:16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi and welcome to DJI Forum. Thank you for choosing DJI and thank you for the inquiry. In compliance with the relevant laws, policies, and regulations for Canada, some GEO Zones will not appear on this web map. Please refer to the DJI GO app for more GEO Zones in effect. As it consumes too much time for mass data uploading, all safe-fly zones may be hidden when zoomed out. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can check the DJI Flysafe Geo Zone Map ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ). Thank you.
11-4 12:55
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.2
Canada

Thank you so much. It seems like it's an altitude zone with a height limitation so I should be able to takeoff. Thanks for the fast reply!
11-4 13:16
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 115906 ft
Canada

No the Mini is still affected by NFZ
11-4 13:23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 11-4 13:16
Thank you so much. It seems like it's an altitude zone with a height limitation so I should be able to takeoff. Thanks for the fast reply!

Hi we do appreciate your response. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to reach us at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Thank you.
11-4 13:29
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.2

Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 11-4 13:23

I have pretty much the same question as the OP.

I live within the restricted area of an airport on a 3 acre lot, and would like to get a mini to fly it over the trees on my property just for fun.  The Canadian regulations for under 250 grams are kind of vague, and could be reasonably interpreted to mean that anything goes with that size of drone.

My property does show up in a geofenced area on the DJI map, so I assume I would need to send some kind of proof about having permission to unlock the drone to DJI.

Does anyone know definitively if the Mini is exempt from restricted airspace regulations in Canada, and if so, how do I get the drone unlocked?

If I have to go through all kinds of hoops with Nav Canada to try to get permission, I won't be buying a drone.  
11-4 13:35
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

simplesimon Posted at 11-4 13:35
I have pretty much the same question as the OP.

I live within the restricted area of an airport on a 3 acre lot, and would like to get a mini to fly it over the trees on my property just for fun.  The Canadian regulations for under 250 grams are kind of vague, and could be reasonably interpreted to mean that anything goes with that size of drone.

Hi, I also live near a small airport and inside a NFZ. I have a Spark since July 2018 and I am able to fly it in my backyard after getting a small unlocked zone around my house. Contact DJI Fly safe for this. The Mavic Mini using GPS will likely be under DJI's NFZ control. Cheers for Kingston.
11-4 14:40
Use props
SeanGalbraith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 213753 ft
Canada

It appears that DJI's NFZ implementation will be stricter than Transport Canada's requirements for sub250 drones.
11-4 15:03
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.2

Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 11-4 14:40
Hi, I also live near a small airport and inside a NFZ. I have a Spark since July 2018 and I am able to fly it in my backyard after getting a small unlocked zone around my house. Contact DJI Fly safe for this. The Mavic Mini using GPS will likely be under DJI's NFZ control. Cheers for Kingston.

Interesting!

So I suppose it would be possible to make this inquiry before making the purchase?
11-4 15:44
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.2
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 11-4 13:23

Is your NFZ class C airspace?
11-4 16:25
Use props
simplesimon
lvl.2

Canada

djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC Posted at 11-4 16:25
Is your NFZ class C airspace?

It's class E.  Not a busy airport.
11-4 17:49
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

simplesimon Posted at 11-4 15:44
Interesting!

So I suppose it would be possible to make this inquiry before making the purchase?

You would need the Serial Number of the remote to get the authorization. Cheers
11-5 05:35
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Sub 250g drones in Canada are NOT subject to any of the regulations that pertain to drones over 250g since Transport Canada only has jurisdiction to regulate "Aircraft" which it has defined in the Regulation (same with the FAA rules).  TC has defined these aircraft to be limited to 250g and over.  Unfortunately (?) Geofencing may still prohibit flight within controlled airspace.  
11-6 15:18
Use props
fans683f78b4
lvl.1

Canada

Try this from the transport Canada website . Prolly the most accurate to get right from the source .
https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/
yesterday 16:46
Use props
fans683f78b4
lvl.1

Canada

Will help
Screenshot_20191204-164900_Chrome.jpg
yesterday 16:50
Use props
fans683f78b4
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-4 12:55
Hi and welcome to DJI Forum. Thank you for choosing DJI and thank you for the inquiry. In compliance with the relevant laws, policies, and regulations for Canada, some GEO Zones will not appear on this web map. Please refer to the DJI GO app for more GEO Zones in effect. As it consumes too much time for mass data uploading, all safe-fly zones may be hidden when zoomed out. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can check the DJI Flysafe Geo Zone Map ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ). Thank you.

This works well
Screenshot_20191204-164900_Chrome.jpg
yesterday 16:53
Use props
LTE-49
lvl.2

Canada

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 11-6 15:18
Sub 250g drones in Canada are NOT subject to any of the regulations that pertain to drones over 250g since Transport Canada only has jurisdiction to regulate "Aircraft" which it has defined in the Regulation (same with the FAA rules).  TC has defined these aircraft to be limited to 250g and over.  Unfortunately (?) Geofencing may still prohibit flight within controlled airspace.

I wonder if municipal regulations around drones are also based on the Transport Canada definitions.

If a park has "no drone" signs I'd be interested if that refers to drone as defined by transport Canada.
5 hours ago
Use props
6arret
lvl.2
Canada

Your not allowed to fly in Class C airspace unless your have an advanced operator certificate and an SFOC. Even if your drone is under 250 grams you still have to follow Part IX - Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.  https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html
While flying
To keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times
  • below 122 metres (400 feet) in the air
  • away from bystanders, at a minimum horizontal distance of 30 metres for basic operations
  • away from emergency operations and advertised events
    • Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts and parades
  • away from airports and heliports
    • 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports
    • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
  • outside controlled airspace (for basic operations only)
  • far away from other aircraft
    • Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones

5 hours ago
Use props
6arret
lvl.2
Canada

I would not be flying in Class C airspace. You have IFR and VFR traffic in and out of the airport and Class C tends to be pretty busy airspace. Depending where your park is it could right under an approach or take off zone where you have aircraft flying at low altitudes.
5 hours ago
Use props
Prairie Chicken
First Officer
Flight distance : 47421 ft
Canada

LTE-49 Posted at 12-5 08:37
I wonder if municipal regulations around drones are also based on the Transport Canada definitions.

If a park has "no drone" signs I'd be interested if that refers to drone as defined by transport Canada.

In Saskatoon, a local bylaw prohibits drones in public parks. You can observe all the federal regulations, like keeping the correct distance away from people and roads, but if you're in a public park, it's still illegal. And there are no signs posted.
3 hours ago
Use props
LTE-49
lvl.2

Canada

Prairie Chicken Posted at 12-5 10:06
In Saskatoon, a local bylaw prohibits drones in public parks. You can observe all the federal regulations, like keeping the correct distance away from people and roads, but if you're in a public park, it's still illegal. And there are no signs posted.

My question is:  What definition of "Drone" are they using in that municipal bylaw?
3 hours ago
Use props
djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
lvl.2
Canada

6arret Posted at 12-5 08:55
Your not allowed to fly in Class C airspace unless your have an advanced operator certificate and an SFOC. Even if your drone is under 250 grams you still have to follow Part IX - Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.  https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html
While flyingTo keep yourself and others safe, fly your drone:
  • where you can see it at all times

• This is a pretty old thread and I didn't expect to get response anymore haha. Nevertheless, I've had the mini for awhile now and I after emailing transport canada, we ARE allowed to fly in class C airspace.
    1 hour ago
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules