Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Thoughts on the Mavic Mini
1966 19 2019-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SCoutts
Captain
Flight distance : 1922434 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Everyone,

Most of you know me as a big advocate of the DJI Spark. With the release of the new Mavic Mini I thought I would put together my thoughts from the perspective of a current Spark owner. I am contemplating moving up to a more capable drone, like the Mavic Air but the Mini sure has some compelling features at an great price - 3-axis gimbal, 30 minutes of flight time and sub-250g to get around the pesky Canadian drone laws.

As always, thanks for watching!

2019-11-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this informative video that you had provided. Great work. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-11-7
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Don't only base your choice on the < 250g, laws get changed all the time.
2019-11-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work.
2019-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

Nice review thanks for sharing.
2019-11-8
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-7 13:23
Hi, thanks for sharing this informative video that you had provided. Great work. Thank you for your continued support!

Thank you, much appreciated.
2019-11-8
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 11-7 14:58
Don't only base your choice on the < 250g, laws get changed all the time.

Yeah. Canada's law came in to effect June 1, 2019. I doubt, baring any out of control craziness with sub 250g drone pilots, there will be any amendments any time soon. But, that guess is as good as any. :-)
2019-11-8
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks and thanks for watching.
2019-11-8
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 11-8 00:06
Nice review thanks for sharing.

Thanks for watching!
2019-11-8
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

SCoutts Posted at 11-8 09:26
Yeah. Canada's law came in to effect June 1, 2019. I doubt, baring any out of control craziness with sub 250g drone pilots, there will be any amendments any time soon. But, that guess is as good as any. :-)

Japan's is <200g
2019-11-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

SCoutts Posted at 11-8 09:27
Thanks and thanks for watching.

You're welcome
2019-11-8
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Did it start at 250g and then get below 200g? For me it doesn't matter either way because I have my pilot's certificate. Sub-250g just allows more freedom around people and locations and it allows my wife, who is not certified, to get back in the game.
2019-11-8
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Canada

SCoutts Posted at 11-8 11:33
Did it start at 250g and then get below 200g? For me it doesn't matter either way because I have my pilot's certificate. Sub-250g just allows more freedom around people and locations and it allows my wife, who is not certified, to get back in the game.

I am not sure if people will notice the difference between the Spark at 298g and the Mini at 249g!
2019-11-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SCoutts Posted at 11-8 09:25
Thank you, much appreciated.

You are always welcome!
2019-11-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2019-11-9
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks, I appreciate that.
2019-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

SCoutts Posted at 11-9 14:47
Thanks, I appreciate that.

My pleasure!
2019-11-10
Use props
pwlhendriks
Flight distance : 41637 ft
Netherlands

I've had the Spark for 2 years (fly more combo). Unfortunately the camera lens had a crack in it from flight #1, so I ended up using it as a drone to practice flying. It's a tonne of fun to fly, but I could never really make a decent video or take a decent picture with my drone.

When the Mavic Mini came out a few days ago I just had to get one. Mainly because I never felt like getting a second Spark and I really wanted to experience having a drone and taking pictures with it. The fly more combo isn't widely available, so I settled for the basic package.

From my short hands on experience I have to say.... totally wort it for a few reasons:
- You really can fly the mini twice as long as the Spark. I can fly my Mavic Mini as long as my Spark Fly More Combo, without having to swap batteries half way through.
- The picture quality is amazing. The 3-axis gimbal also helps a lot in making smooth videos. I never could do this on the Spark.
- You can finally fold up your drone and put it in your pocket (provided you're wearing cargo pants ;)

Because it's lighter, the Mavic Mini is a bit less stable in the air than the Spark (mainly during a fast decent it sort of wobbles a bit), but DJI is already bringing out updates to increase stability. It also takes a bit to get used to the lack of LED lighting. I ended up staring pretty hard at my drone while flying it FOV. And the Mavic Mini looks cool, but the color it comes in... well it is pretty much the most boring color in the universe ;) Having said all that though, it feels like DJI have taken a lot of consumer comments in and used them to make a really awesome drone. Everything the Mavic Mini lacks, I feel you really don't need.

I'll definitely keep flying my Spark, just because we've been through a lot together. Mountains of snow in Canada, an impounding in Cuba, a dizzying flight in the French Alps way to close to a military base I couldn't see from the ground just to name a few. But I'm looking forward to make many more memories with my Mavic Mini
2019-11-13
Use props
SCoutts
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

pwlhendriks Posted at 11-13 06:10
I've had the Spark for 2 years (fly more combo). Unfortunately the camera lens had a crack in it from flight #1, so I ended up using it as a drone to practice flying. It's a tonne of fun to fly, but I could never really make a decent video or take a decent picture with my drone.

When the Mavic Mini came out a few days ago I just had to get one. Mainly because I never felt like getting a second Spark and I really wanted to experience having a drone and taking pictures with it. The fly more combo isn't widely available, so I settled for the basic package.

That's awesome! Really, I think it's just all about getting out there, having some fun and maybe capturing some photos and videos along the way too! Whatever drone makes it easy for you to do that is a win! Good luck with your Mini. Sounds like you and your Spark had some good times together - haha! Cheers!
2019-11-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely presented
2020-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now