Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Q: Does the RC charge the phone?
1037 11 2019-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Does the Mini RC charge an Android phone that is connected? I hope that has been fixed, because this is an issue on other models where it drains the RC much faster.

2019-11-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

This is not an issue, this is a android "thing", how otg has to work!
Blame  google for it, but the Host (here the RC) HAS to give power to the "usb stick", in this case your phone.
2019-11-8
Use props
louis08
lvl.1

France

Does OTG depend on the power delivery? I.e. no power = no OTG at all?
Just thinking whether physically cutting off the power connection (after all there is a defined pin for power on the USB connector) could solve that problem...
2019-11-8
Use props
jh8
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have used a root app in the past (not sure, but I think it was with the Air) to disable charging and that worked. Unfortunately I am no longer rooted.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bramantya.stopcharging&hl=en

Looks like some were using the bottom USB port of the Mavic, but that's obviously missing on the Mini. I wouldn't mind if it was delivering the OTG bare minimum without affecting RC battery life too much, but would be disappointed if it depleted the battery within an hour or so.

2019-11-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

jh8 Posted at 11-8 04:38
I have used a root app in the past (not sure, but I think it was with the Air) to disable charging and that worked. Unfortunately I am no longer rooted.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bramantya.stopcharging&hl=en

Looks like some were using the bottom USB port of the Mavic, but that's obviously mnissing on the Mini. I wouldn't mind if it was delivering the OTG bare minimum without affecting RC battery life too much, but would be disappointed if it depleted the battery within an hour or so.

From the spec sheet:

Operating Current/Voltage
    1200 mA 3.6 V (Android)
    700 mA 3.6 V (iOS)
That will get you ( RC battery capacity   is 2600 mAh)  about 3 batteries of flighttime

In case your phone is not fully charged!
As higher the batt stats of your Droid-device is, as better the batt life of the RC.
In case the batt is full, there aren't 500 mA delivered to it.

And yes, I have read about that rooted devices can "break the otg-charging"-loop
But still, DJI is playing bqall with google here.
Google does not give a option, to stop otg hosts from delivering a charging current.

It is not a failure, it is a feature ;-)
2019-11-8
Use props
jh8
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sure, but regardless of whose "fault/limitation" it is, in the end it's still an issue for us Android users. But let's first wait and see how bad it actually is.

BTW: Also very disappointed with DJI's decision to go with Micro USB instead of USB-C.
2019-11-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day jh8. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. With regards to this matter the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.
2019-11-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

jh8 Posted at 11-8 05:08
Sure, but regardless of whose "fault/limitation" it is, in the end it's still an issue for us Android users. But let's first wait and see how bad it actually is.

BTW: Also very disappointed with DJI's decision to go with Micro USB instead of USB-C.

As I wrote, it is not an issue,it is a feature!
A USB Stick otg connected is not working without it!
Root your device and switch otg charging off!

And even the Micro USB has/had a reason, mate!
I assume, like on other DJI RC's, it is still a micro USB A on the Mini-RC

It is just "us" (the 3 parties!), who use (deliver) a micro USB B plug on the host side (to micro/C/Apple on device side)

The cable you get from DJI (in this case also for the Mini!) will let you just plug it in with the right plug and direction. No "My phone is charging the RC, but not connecting with the app"!

Of course, DJI could change to USB C, at the RC.
Make it a color coded cable: RC side green, device side red or what ever.

But that is still a question of "how many cables does DJI still have in stock", methinks ;-)
2019-11-8
Use props
louis08
lvl.1

Germany

IMHO this whole USB type discussion is a real first world problem and completely pointless... DJI decided to use what not too long ago was "the" standard for mobile devices (apart from Apple maybe who hardly ever care about anything but their own standard) - so what. Especially as all necessary cables are included in the package.

Apart from that it might anyway be a good habit to have the phone decently charged before taking off ....

2019-11-8
Use props
HH1
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Are those who have the problem of the charging of the phone from the Aircraft Remote Controller, using the small usb connector on the LEFT of the Aircraft Remote Controller, or are they using the usb connector on the bottom of the Aircraft Remote Controller?  I use a Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx coupled to the Aircraft Controllers LEFT tiny USB, and have NO problem with either doing any charging.  Also the Phone IS using Android 8.1.0.  I wonder why?  Enlightened minds want to know
2019-11-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

HH1 Posted at 11-8 19:27
Are those who have the problem of the charging of the phone from the Aircraft Remote Controller, using the small usb connector on the LEFT of the Aircraft Remote Controller, or are they using the usb connector on the bottom of the Aircraft Remote Controller?  I use a Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx coupled to the Aircraft Controllers LEFT tiny USB, and have NO problem with either doing any charging.  Also the Phone IS using Android 8.1.0.  I wonder why?  Enlightened minds want to know

It seems that no one, except the few pre-"reviewer", yet is using a mini RC.
Which may have just ONE small micro USB connector, on the left.

You are coming from the "bigger" mavics
Most people with this problem have been on Spark and Air, before.
Which also happen to have only ONE Option to connect a cable to the device!

Aside, with TWO connector options the problem isn't really one:
One for the device, one for a powerbank!
2019-11-9
Use props
jh8
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

To answer my own question: I measured 0.23A @5V when connected to my Galaxy S8 (65% battery) using a USB tester.
So that shouldn't be too bad in terms of  RC battery drain.
2019-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules