Q: Auto-switch 2.4 and 5.8GHz during flight?
7507 15 2019-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I was wondering if the CE Mini will automatically switch between the 2.4/5.8Ghz bands and/or channels during flight as needed (distance/interference), or select a fixed channel during takeoff and keep using that during the entire flight?
2019-11-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I think for Europe yes it will
2019-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day jh8. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Since the DJI Mavic Mini has a dual band then if it is a CE country or region, the DJI Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz ( if supported by local regulations ). In addition users can also switch the channel to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. First set the channel mode to "Manual", and before the aircraft takes off, users can choose from the channels shown on the bottom of the application. A channel numbered above 140 is a 5.8 GHz channel, and there are five of them ( four in Korea ). The other 13 channels are 2.4 GHz channels. Thank you.
2019-11-9
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 08:25
Hello and good day jh8. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Since the DJI Mavic Mini has a dual band then if it is a CE country or region, the DJI Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 2 km in 2.4 GHz and 500 m in 5.8 GHz ( if supported by local regulations ). In addition users can also switch the channel to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. First set the channel mode to "Manual", and before the aircraft takes off, users can choose from the channels shown on the bottom of the application. A channel numbered above 140 is a 5.8 GHz channel, and there are five of them ( four in Korea ). The other 13 channels are 2.4 GHz channels. Thank you.

Thanks, but my initial question was if a CE Mini can (and will) switch channels and/or bands dynamically during flight to maintain a stable connection? Or does it select a band + channel at takeoff and keep it fixed during that flight?
2019-11-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Good question, keen to read the answer!
2019-11-9
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

also interested - can he switch bands when is in air?
2019-11-10
Use props
Un4Seen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1074646 ft
Romania

I'm also very interested in this. Will the Mavic Mini switch from 5.8 GHz to 2.4 GHz during the flight when the 5.8 GHz channel starts loosing signal at the edge of the range (~500m)?  From the few flights that I've made I would think that it does not switch. I always left it in Auto mode and even though I was out in the wilderness, it kept loosing signal at around 5-600m. So I would think that it decided to use 5.8 GHz before takeoff and it did not switch over to 2.4 GHz during flight. Can somebody from DJI confirm how it works? Because if it does not auto-switch, then I'd rather set it to 2.4 GHz manually...
2020-1-20
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

That was a topic here some time ago. One wrote that he started with channel 3, for example, and landed with channel 9. I paid attention to it during my flights, during takeoff and landing and also during the flight, but I cannot (yet) confirm it. Neither a channel nor a band change. If I notice it, I'll post it of course.
2020-1-20
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Found it : https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=205865 Posting #28 with a link to a precisely explanation ... but the question still is : Does the mini has FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) ... yes or no.
2020-1-20
Use props
djiuser_4ArRq4n2FubY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45522 ft
Sweden

I have Googled like crazy and I cannot find a solid answer to this question. When I have my Mini set to AUTO it always starts on a 5.8 channel. I can get out to about 1000 meters (i live on the country side) and then the signal typically gets to weak and is lost.

However, if I check in the menu the Mini is ALWAYS still on the same 5.8 channel as when I started. It definitely doesn’t change to 2.4 although it is in AUTO mode. If I manually select a 2.4 channel before takeoff I can get much further than 1000 meters but I want to be able to use the AUTO function so that the drone can renegotiate the frequency and channel during flight as needed. I thought that was the whole point of the auto function?

Why doesn’t it change to 2.4 Ghz when signal is getting so low it is eventually lost?
2020-4-20
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Because it's not programmed to do so... although it could I am almost 100% positive about that. And anyway... it's mostly a CE problem. If you get to 1 Km in 5.8 GHz you're getting a very good range out of it (nominal 500m).
2020-4-20
Use props
Sperious
lvl.1
Sweden

Thank you for answering. I was under the impression it was supposed to do that. What’s the point having an auto mode otherwise? Yes, 1000 meters on 5,8 Ghz is very good, so I’m thinking maybe the Mini changes frequency anyway, but the menu interface is buggy and not reflecting the change? I don’t know...
2020-4-20
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

We have so many confirmations, we would have known by now. In my several months of experience never has that happened.

It does however pick the least busy frequency and channel at power-up which is not too often the best choice. Too bad this wasn't even mentioned in the manual.
There's another thread in this forum where a DJI mod. confirmed this is the way it's designed to be.
2020-4-20
Use props
Sperious
lvl.1
Sweden

m80116 Posted at 4-20 15:24
We have so many confirmations, we would have known by now. In my several months of experience never has that happened.

It does however pick the least busy frequency and channel at power-up which is not too often the best choice. Too bad this wasn't even mentioned in the manual.

Alright, thank you very much for letting me know. Now I can stop thinking there’s something wrong with my Mini. I guess I don’t have anything to lose by manually setting a 2.4 Ghz channel then, when flying at home here on the countryside?  Or is the AUTO function at least able to switch channels (not frequency) during flight if interference increases on the current one?
2020-4-21
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Sperious Posted at 4-21 02:42
Alright, thank you very much for letting me know. Now I can stop thinking there’s something wrong with my Mini. I guess I don’t have anything to lose by manually setting a 2.4 Ghz channel then, when flying at home here on the countryside?  Or is the AUTO function at least able to switch channels (not frequency) during flight if interference increases on the current one?

I would think it would switch channels within the range of the initial frequency set, so it would swap around the 2.4ghz band if that was the default at take off, I dont think it would switch to a 5.8ghz unless that was set at take off, just a guess, you could open the transmission section of the app and screen record it whilst flying and then play the video back and see if it changes.
2020-4-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Nope, no automatic CHANNEL switching... which basically is just the same thing, a channel being a subset of frequencies.

Tbh I started to quite like to engage in the quest of finding the best frequency for each environment, each place. It's like driving a car with a manual gearbox: there are automatics far quicker, far better, far more relaxing, but stick shift is the way of choice to learn for every car enthusiast.
2020-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules