Goggles vs Goggles RE, functionality
7821 22 2019-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aTOMic
lvl.1
Norway

Hi guys,

I am sure this is asked before, but after searching for it I came up short. I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure before I invest.

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom, and I won't be flying racing with it, just aerials and photography. I would like to try out a set of Goggles, but I want to make sure I get the right ones. From what I read, the DJI Goggles offer me basically anything I need, even OccuSync, and it has the same range as my controller - 7 km. It has more latency than the RE, but that seems to matter most for racing.

Am I correct in thinking that I can go for the cheaper DJI Goggles instead of the Goggles RE, and still get more or less the same experience from them? I know the latency is 50ms vs 110ms which sounds a lot, but for slow flying I guess it won't matter much. Anyone tested both and can offer some opinions?

Thanks!
2019-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day aTOMic. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilot experiences in using the DJI Goggles and who owns the DJI Goggles. In addition the main difference between the DJI Goggles RE and the DJI goggles are as follows :

1. In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

2. DJI Goggles RE has redesigned the internal linear polarized omnidirectional antennas and added new external Pagoda antenna, a 5.8GHz single-frequency omnidirectional left hand circularly polarized ( LHCP ) antenna.

3. DJI Goggles RE has restructured the radio communication strategy and video decoding algorithm to lower transmission latency to 50 ms* ( with wireless transmission latency of less than 10 ms ), ensuring smooth and reliable video transmission and avoiding video lag and disconnection from the digital video transmission system when operating in a normal environment.

4. DJI Goggles RE supports analog transmission at any integer frequency between 5.650~5.925 GHz and analog video storage on a Micro SD card.

5. DJI Goggles RE can store digital video on a Micro SD card.

6. DJI Goggles RE supports local video playback and Sphere pano viewing, allowing users to turn their head to get a 360° view of the Sphere pano.

7. The facial pad has been redesigned and the headband has used new replaceable leather materials to make it even more comfortable to wear.

*When tested with a 480p video feed.

For additional reference I will be posting a link where in you can find the overview, specifications and the frequently asked questions for the DJI Goggles. Thank you.
2019-11-9
Use props
aTOMic
lvl.1
Norway

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-9 11:21
Hello and good day aTOMic. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilot experiences in using the DJI Goggles and who owns the DJI Goggles. In addition the main difference between the DJI Goggles RE and the DJI goggles are as follows :

1. In addition to the 2.4GHz digital transmission band, the new DJI Goggles RE also supports the 5.8GHz band, which can avoid the usual interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz.

Thanks for your feedback Stephen.

One question though, the OccuSync, does that work on both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz? I live in an area without much interference, so if the functionality is the same, I don't think 5.8GHz will give me any benefits?

Thanks!
2019-11-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

aTOMic Posted at 11-9 12:02
Thanks for your feedback Stephen.

One question though, the OccuSync, does that work on both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz? I live in an area without much interference, so if the functionality is the same, I don't think 5.8GHz will give me any benefits?

You are very much welcome aTOMic. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro's OcuSync 2.0 allows the drone to switch between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz automatically with stronger anti-interference capability. The maximum transmission distance reaches up to 8 km ( FCC, unobstructed, free of interference ) and HD 1080p video can be achieved. Thank you.
2019-11-9
Use props
Drone2020
lvl.2

United States

Here's a question. Is the low 50ms latency for on ocusync or just the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz band?
2019-12-2
Use props
djiuser_avSthU45pjbd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2674 ft
United Kingdom

Hi aTOMic

I, like yourself, have a Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have purchased the earlier WHITE goggles to use with my M2 Z, but I have been surprised to discover some issues that you should be aware of...….

There are supposed to be 3 options of liveview (the linking method of how OCCUsync feed video to the goggles) these options are "HD" - "Smooth" & "Current" & all vary the latency time of the feed.

"Smooth" is intended to be the least latency, but it doesn't work for the Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. - There are other posts on the forum which go into this point in more detail.

Also with the new Waypoints 2.0 feature, the gimbal head tracking feature of the goggles, doesn't function. This is extremely annoying as great video could be obtained if working, as it would allow you to focus on the exact images you want to capture, while executing a waypoint mission.

Perhaps, the DJI team, would like to comment on these points that I have highlighted to you, as they appear to have been very helpful regarding your requests to date.

I hope that this will help you, regarding your possible future purchase?

Oh - by the way, many M2 Z & Pro users are reporting video signal loss, with both the White & RC goggles at very short range lengths, certainly not the 7 - 8 Km quoted to you in earlier post - I cannot varifythis point, as I have yet to attempt any flights of distance, whilst familuarising myself with what i can actually do with the goggles & my M2 Z.

Mike
2019-12-31
Use props
KrisK
lvl.1
United States

Did you get the RE goggles, and if so are they working?  DJI support, I am still having issues 1+ year into this. My Racing Edition goggles have limited distance 500-800 Feet when using my M2 Pro. They worked great at distance with original Mavic pro. I've been patiently waiting over a year for firmware fix, looks like that won't happen. This drone and goggles now useless to me unless there a fix. I greatly prefer the FPV for photography framing, don't care about high speed racing, just need functional at reasonable distance.   Is there a hardware fix available if I send them in?
2020-3-23
Use props
aTOMic
lvl.1
Norway

KrisK Posted at 3-23 15:36
Did you get the RE goggles, and if so are they working?  DJI support, I am still having issues 1+ year into this. My Racing Edition goggles have limited distance 500-800 Feet when using my M2 Pro. They worked great at distance with original Mavic pro. I've been patiently waiting over a year for firmware fix, looks like that won't happen. This drone and goggles now useless to me unless there a fix. I greatly prefer the FPV for photography framing, don't care about high speed racing, just need functional at reasonable distance.   Is there a hardware fix available if I send them in?

I have to admit that my drone - as probably many others - have been left in the bag over the winter. There is a lot of wind where I live, and it's been ...ty weather, so there hasn't been any use for it. I have therefore not bought the goggles yet, but I am considering it for the summer.

However, with your feedback here it does not build confidence that it would work well for me, so I will have to read up more when we get closer.

Thanks for your feedback, and good luck with yours.
2020-3-25
Use props
natecastner
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_avSthU45pjbd Posted at 2019-12-31 04:01
Hi aTOMic

I, like yourself, have a Mavic 2 Zoom.

Major bummer that Smooth liveview option isn't available for Mavic 2 Pro

Hearing that Waypoints doesn't work with gimbal head tracking is a HUGE piece of missing functionality. That would be a gamechanger.

I'm also having the video signal loss at super short distances. I didn't have my phone connected, some of my research is showing that the phone should be connected. Today was my first flight with Goggles, so I've got a lot of experimenting to do!
2020-8-23
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3318796 ft
United States

So I know this thread is a little old now.  However, I am wanting to get a pair of the RE googles.  Have there been any updates and fixes to the problems?  I would love to have the functionality of the fpv for video
2021-1-18
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-18 14:26
So I know this thread is a little old now.  However, I am wanting to get a pair of the RE googles.  Have there been any updates and fixes to the problems?  I would love to have the functionality of the fpv for video

The firmware in the DJI Goggles hasn't been updated in almost 3 years now, so DJI has clearly end-of-lifed them (and they're probably already out of production). So those issues aren't fixed and never will be.

As for which to use with the Mavic series, the white goggles and the RE version have the same feature set and work the same when used wirelessly with a Mavic series aircraft. So there's no advantage to the RE (other than the more comfortable head band and slightly different rubber face seal. The extra features for the RE only pertain to using them with the original Ocusync air unit or with analog 5.8ghz video.

So if you're only going to use them with a MP, MP2 etc., the white goggles are fine and are significantly cheaper (if you can still find them anywhere).

I have the white and the RE goggles and I use them with my older Mavic Pro and my MP2 and they both work fine.
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
United States

luciens Posted at 1-19 04:59
The firmware in the DJI Goggles hasn't been updated in almost 3 years now, so DJI has clearly end-of-lifed them (and they're probably already out of production). So those issues aren't fixed and never will be.

As for which to use with the Mavic series, the white goggles and the RE version have the same feature set and work the same when used wirelessly with a Mavic series aircraft. So there's no advantage to the RE (other than the more comfortable head band and slightly different rubber face seal. The extra features for the RE only pertain to using them with the original Ocusync air unit or with analog 5.8ghz video.

Awesome!  Thank you for the response.  Yeah I cannot seem to find the goggles anywhere.  I am curious if they have any plans to put out a new set of goggles?
2021-1-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-19 05:06
Awesome!  Thank you for the response.  Yeah I cannot seem to find the goggles anywhere.  I am curious if they have any plans to put out a new set of goggles?

They show up on amazon.com sometimes, but otherwise they're effectively no longer available from what I can see.

As for a replacement, I have no idea. I doubt it, since these seemed to be poor sellers. DJI seems to be putting their efforts into the racing FPV system instead.

I'd love to see a V2.0 of the original goggles though, with an adjustable focal length (so you don't have to wear thick glasses) and bug fixes, etc. The huge FOV is why I use mine...
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
United States

I really think it would make a huge jump
In flight enjoyment.  

I don’t wear glasses, will I need to with the white set (if I can get a set)?
2021-1-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-19 05:23
I really think it would make a huge jump
In flight enjoyment.  

Monitor amazon.com, I think they had a couple of the white goggles a while back.

As for glasses, if you're farsighted at all or can't focus on things really close in like 6" from your face, you'll need reading glasses to see the screens in focus. That's a gotcha on the goggles that a lot of folks don't know about... I'm somewhat farsighted and I have to use +3.75 diopter readers (from Amazon) to see my screens. Practically coke-bottle glasses!
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
United States

Hmm,  interesting.  I was curious how that was going to play out.  I am farsighted in one eye and near sighted in the other.  My brain compensated for it very well.  I do not have issues with depth perception or reading etc.  which is a good thing.  Being a professional driver and a licensed boat captain.  (Let alone operating a drone) depth perception is crucial.  So curious how the goggles will be.  Lol gonna have to do some testing!
2021-1-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-19 05:48
Hmm,  interesting.  I was curious how that was going to play out.  I am farsighted in one eye and near sighted in the other.  My brain compensated for it very well.  I do not have issues with depth perception or reading etc.  which is a good thing.  Being a professional driver and a licensed boat captain.  (Let alone operating a drone) depth perception is crucial.  So curious how the goggles will be.  Lol gonna have to do some testing!

Hold your hand about 6 - 8" in front of your eyes and see if you can see it in focus. That's about the focal length of the goggles, as best I can guess....
2021-1-19
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-19 05:06

I have a pair of the Goggles RE that I haven't used in a long time.  I'd be interested in selling them.  If interested, hit me up with a DM.
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-19 08:17
I have a pair of the Goggles RE that I haven't used in a long time.  I'd be interested in selling them.  If interested, hit me up with a DM.

I am bidding on a pair on eBay right now.  It ends tonight.  If I don’t win the auction can I contact you tomorrow about them?
2021-1-19
Use props
djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-19 08:17

I am bidding on a pair on eBay right now.  It ends tonight.  If I don’t win the auction can I contact you tomorrow about them?
2021-1-19
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1rTZKhbn1Wap Posted at 1-19 09:38
I am bidding on a pair on eBay right now.  It ends tonight.  If I don’t win the auction can I contact you tomorrow about them?

Yep, feel free to reach out any time.
2021-1-19
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The only things I don't like about the goggles is the short FOV and the "touchpad" interface. It's way too easy to activate things when handling the goggles and you accidentally touch or swipe the touchpad. Other than that, they're very nice for the "cinematic" drones like the Mavic, Phantom 4 Pro etc. The huge FOV and 1080p30 screen resolution makes for a really compelling FPV experience even with the long latency of a Mavic, etc. Ocusync connection. They're so easy to fly in GPS mode that you don't need the quick response of less than about 150ms latency....

Once you get the right glasses for them, I love mine.
2021-1-19
Use props
daunialive
New

United States

good evening i have the dji googles racing i would like to know with which dji drone i could use it with ocusync technology. thanks
2021-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules