11030 20 2019-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Hello geeks!
So I've been meaning to ask this question for quite some time. I knew the bigger Mavics didnt show the iPhone 5 as compatible, from the DJI site, I know is a pretty old phone but even though I love technology and I'm surrounded by it, I also work from home so I like to "switch off" when needed and use my smarphone only for the basic stuff.

I was seriously considering the new NOKIA 800 tough, but then the Mavic Mini came out, so I checked new phones in order to be able to use my smartphone with the DJI Mavic Mini.

Since my partner has a compatible phone, I thought I will wait to get the drone and use hers to start playing. Thank god I did.

I just saw here in the forum that the DJI FLY APP was available and rushed to check... well it showed compatible, it downloaded, it installed and so far so good, I managed to log in and it looks like I only need the drone.

Maybe I'm over excited and the drone still may not work with it, but it looks promising for people like me with older smarphones, I rather not spend 200-400 euros extra in a decent phone, since it would be exclusively to fly the Mini, and then it would make the 500 fly more combo a less appealing price.

Do you guys think even if the App is working with the phone, it could not work with the drone?
Thanks in advance!

2019-11-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Juliflash. Thank you for reaching out and for choosing DJI. Upon checking the iPhone 5 on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not yet recommended for the said drone and with the said application. I would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPhone 5 will be able to work on the DJI Mavic MIni and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mavic Mini. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you for your understanding and support.

2019-11-10
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-10 13:16
Hello and good day Juliflash. Thank you for reaching out and for choosing DJI. Upon checking the iPhone 5 on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not yet recommended for the said drone and with the said application. I would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPhone 5 will be able to work on the DJI Mavic MIni and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mavic Mini. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you for your understanding and support.

[view_image]

Thanks
2019-11-10
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Might be time to update your phone, that's like a 7yo phone or something. You can't expect new apps to work on very old technology.
2019-11-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Your likely to get random errors like the app crashing mid flight, and you dont really want that to happen.  Id use a supported device.  Worst case get a second hand 6s or 7 they are not that expensive.
2019-11-10
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

deathsquad Posted at 11-10 14:22
Might be time to update your phone, that's like a 7yo phone or something. You can't expect new apps to work on very old technology.

I'm totally against this consumerism craziness, of buy something even if you don't need it. I don't pretend to have a mobile with the latest technology, I use computers for that.

I'm a music composer with tons of gear from the 70's which beats any modern synthesizer. And guess what , no programmed obsolescence on those.

I would prefer if the drone would work stand alone, and somehow I think that having the phone as another variable could lead to inconsistent behavior, glitches, errors due to different hardware and software.
2019-11-11
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-10 23:47
Your likely to get random errors like the app crashing mid flight, and you dont really want that to happen.  Id use a supported device.  Worst case get a second hand 6s or 7 they are not that expensive.

Thanks for the hint, yeah I definitely want to have a stable experience. I will probably do that, my GF has a 7 so I will use that these first days and consider upgrading to the 6 or 7 soon. Thanks again!
2019-11-11
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Juliflash Posted at 11-11 00:52
I'm totally against this consumerism craziness, of buy something even if you don't need it. I don't pretend to have a mobile with the latest technology, I use computers for that.

I'm a music composer with tons of gear from the 70's which beats any modern synthesizer. And guess what , no programmed obsolescence on those.

I understand. But you can't expect new technology to work with very old technology. Your iphone wouldn't have the processing power required to work with the Mavic Mini. A lot of new Apple apps wouldn't work with that phone anymore either.
2019-11-11
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

deathsquad Posted at 11-11 13:32
I understand. But you can't expect new technology to work with very old technology. Your iphone wouldn't have the processing power required to work with the Mavic Mini. A lot of new Apple apps wouldn't work with that phone anymore either.

I´m not here for a debate but "very old technology" for an iPhone 5s, seems like out of the question.
The APP did installed in my phone, and since it is a "streamed down" version of the DJI GO 4 APP I though why not ask here.

2019-11-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome Juliflash. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-11-11
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you get an iphone 11 that should work. Have a great day, happy flying!
2019-11-11
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-11 15:36
You are very much welcome Juliflash. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Thanks Stephen
2019-11-12
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

deathsquad Posted at 11-11 17:43
If you get an iphone 11 that should work. Have a great day, happy flying!

I think I will buy two of them instead, so I can have one always fully charged .
2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

It is always my pleasure to help Juliflash. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2019-11-12
Use props
hubster5
lvl.1
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-11 14:26
I´m not here for a debate but "very old technology" for an iPhone 5s, seems like out of the question.
The APP did installed in my phone, and since it is a "streamed down" version of the DJI GO 4 APP I though why not ask here.

Same here with the 5s - it installed fine...  So I can't speak for everyone, but dropping $500 to get the best drone I could for the money was a bigger spend for me, It's a little disheartening to be required to invest significant additional cash just to get flying.  What I am looking for is a thread where users are stating - "I have tested it with the XXXX and there were no issues"  XXXX being affordable options for cell/tablet.
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hubster5 Posted at 11-13 05:28
Same here with the 5s - it installed fine...  So I can't speak for everyone, but dropping $500 to get the best drone I could for the money was a bigger spend for me, It's a little disheartening to be required to invest significant additional cash just to get flying.  What I am looking for is a thread where users are stating - "I have tested it with the XXXX and there were no issues"  XXXX being affordable options for cell/tablet.

You can get iphone 6s or 7 on ebay cheap.
2019-11-13
Use props
hubster5
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 06:09
You can get iphone 6s or 7 on ebay cheap.

I see ipad mini 2's for less than iphone 6... would that be better?  or android phones / tablets? (i created a separate thread)).
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hubster5 Posted at 11-13 06:17
I see ipad mini 2's for less than iphone 6... would that be better?  or android phones / tablets? (i created a separate thread)).

Best to pick a device thats on the supported list.  

Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6.
2019-11-13
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

hubster5 Posted at 11-13 05:28

Agreed, I understand safety and how people would suggest having a compatible device is the only or best way to go...

However is not obsolete to me and in a way, I would expect the phone to only be needed as a screen, if it need processing power or other things from the phone, other than GPS, is a bummer. Not that long ago these phones were compatible with the P4.
2019-11-13
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

hubster5 Posted at 11-13 06:17

I read somewhere the same, it used to be compatible but is no longer supported...
2019-11-13
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 06:29
Best to pick a device thats on the supported list.  

Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6.

Thanks,
I will probably go the 6s - 7 route.
2019-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules