Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Domestic (US) Air Travel
754 9 2019-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Porktree
Captain
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm flying from KC to Austin next month and would like to bring my Mavic 2 Pro.  I'm pretty sure it's no big deal to bring it as a carry-on.  I just don't want to wind up trying to run my quad back to my car, or worse, be stuck on the return flight trying to figure out what to do.  Have any of you flown about the country and run into issues, or have any tips.  I can't see a problem, the batteries can't be an issue or laptops would be trouble, and other than that it's just a piece of kit.  
2019-11-11
Use props
Shantok
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled many times, home and abroad without any issues. As long as they are in your carry on. I have packed Mavic and 3 or 4 batteries in a case or camera bag. I think unless your flying a Inspire with the larger batteries you won't have any issues.

Have a safe trip!
2019-11-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Porktree. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can find DJI Flying tips on how to help users fly more responsibly, we’re offering this exclusive guide highlighting the drone laws and battery transportation policies ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips?site=brandsite&from=nav ) and a link where in you can check if a certain location is free to fly your drone of if a certain location is a No Fly Zone ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you.
2019-11-11
Use props
Porktree
Captain
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like I'm good to go then, just carry it on the plane and no worries.  Thanks.  Any one have any issues going through the checkpoints?  Did you have to remove it from the case, or just run it through the scanner?
2019-11-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled many times with my birds and have only had an
issues twice. where they swab the drone and checked battery levels,
My advice is to make sure your batteries are not fully charged,
2019-11-12
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 11-12 07:08
I have traveled many times with my birds and have only had an
issues twice. where they swab the drone and checked battery levels,
My advice is to make sure your batteries are not fully charged,

You never know what you will run into with the TSA agents, so the advice about batteries might be a good idea.

That said, there is no requirement by the TSA or FAA in the US to have batteries not fully charged.  The only requirement is that they be carried on (not in checked luggage) be less than 100 watt hours and be protected from shorting.  I 3d printed battery caps for the purpose of shorting protection, but having them in a tight compartment in your bag (individual), in a battery bag, or probably even their own zip lock bag is fine.  You just can't have a bunch of loose batteries rolling around a bag together.
2019-11-12
Use props
CAAirborne
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I have flown on commercial airlines several times with my Mavic Pro and TSA has never batted an eye.  Like others have said, just make sure all your batteries are in your carry-on luggage.  Enjoy!
2019-11-12
Use props
Sick Dawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

I've flown to Oregon Washington California Texas and Montana with both my drones and no issues. TSA doesn't even look twice, that may because I fly very frequently and have global tsa pre check boarding.
Just make sure it's in your carry on bag. I have a p4p, II take it on the plane and my inspire went into checked baggage. so far so good.
Just tell the TASA when it's your turn you have a drone. They will tell you what to do, they let drones and batteries through all the time.

2019-11-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 11-12 08:09
You never know what you will run into with the TSA agents, so the advice about batteries might be a good idea.

That said, there is no requirement by the TSA or FAA in the US to have batteries not fully charged.  The only requirement is that they be carried on (not in checked luggage) be less than 100 watt hours and be protected from shorting.  I 3d printed battery caps for the purpose of shorting protection, but having them in a tight compartment in your bag (individual), in a battery bag, or probably even their own zip lock bag is fine.  You just can't have a bunch of loose batteries rolling around a bag together.

I know it's not required, I'm just passing along my experience.
with that being said, just imagine if they were fully charged would
I may have not been able to take toy batteries or what would have been their response.
It happen so just be aware you may get that one super TSA agent that just might
be having a bad day. You just never know.
2019-11-12
Use props
BKahuna
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I think the only TSA requirement is that the batteries not be in checked baggage.  DJI recommends you discharge your batteries to 30% or less before flying with them.  If you want to be super safe, you can get special bags to put LiPo batteries in .
2019-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules