DJI Mini - Unable to lift restrictions
1234Next >
18911 127 2019-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jasoninva
lvl.1

United States

Hi, excited to try my new drone but it seems I am unable lift restrictions using the DJI Fly app and Mini. Even though the zones are "authorization zones" and the map states "the target area is an authorization zone. you can unlock flight restrictions".
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_RycZeePcqamu
New

United States

Same here.  I emailed DJI and was told that an firmware and app update was coming in late December to fix this.  Very annoyed that this wasn't done prior to releasing the product.
2019-11-12
Use props
Jasoninva
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_RycZeePcqamu Posted at 11-12 18:20
Same here.  I emailed DJI and was told that an firmware and app update was coming in late December to fix this.  Very annoyed that this wasn't done prior to releasing the product.

Ok that's ridiculous. Mind posting the email here?
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_RycZeePcqamu
New

United States

Jasoninva Posted at 11-12 18:54
Ok that's ridiculous. Mind posting the email here?

Thank you for your email and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Kindly note that the GEO zone is designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, so we can't disable it for you. We appreciate your kind understanding.

Thank you for your support in Mavic Mini. We will launch a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly App in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement. Please submit the unlocking request at that time. Thank you for your understanding and support.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us. We're always here to help.
Thanks for supporting DJI.

Best regards,
Lucas
DJI Technical Support

This is a major flaw and they should be working around the clock to get the firmware update way soon than the end of December.  This is something that should have been done before shipping the drone.  I have a small airstrip that hasn't had a plane land on it in 20+ years that is close to my house and keeping me from being able fly from my front yard.  Stupid!    I wonder what would be the best way to get their attention and pressure them to fix this sooner?
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_F1uqtT6LOQKu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1755423 ft
Slovakia

djiuser_RycZeePcqamu Posted at 11-12 19:18

Kindly note that the GEO zone is designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, so we can't disable it for you. We appreciate your kind understanding.

Thanks for sharing the email.
I have spent last 2 hours figuring out whats wrong with it.
Its very sad and dissapointing that DJI released a product without the proper software.
My house and garden are within an authorization area, so I cant even fly indoors if MINI catches GPS...

2019-11-12
Use props
oJo
lvl.1

Austria

I am in the same boat, as I live close to an airport. I am able to unlock the greater warning area, but even though I am legally allowed to fly in almost all of the closer blue zone, I can not do anything to unlock it there.
2019-11-13
Use props
Jasoninva
lvl.1

United States

I recommend we post this forum link in the comments of every youtube video about this drone. Perhaps that will convince DJI to re-prioritize their backlog. One can only hope ;-)
2019-11-13
Use props
hubster5
lvl.1
United States

Jasoninva Posted at 11-13 03:57
I recommend we post this forum link in the comments of every youtube video about this drone. Perhaps that will convince DJI to re-prioritize their backlog. One can only hope ;-)

Is there no manual override that requires you to acknowledge that you understand the responsibilities?  Wow - it's like your car won't crank because it's raining or something.  What if you had special clearance? How would you fly it then?  (I am just getting started - learning!)
2019-11-13
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

So much hassle and pain trying to score one of these minis so that in the end you realize you can't even unlock those areas.  DJI should prioritize this.  
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried unlocking online at https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/self-unlock
2019-11-13
Use props
djiuser_RycZeePcqamu
New

United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 06:32
Have you tried unlocking online at https://www.dji.com/uk/flysafe/self-unlock

The Mini is not eligible for unlock through the self-unlock site.   When you go to select the type of drone you are using the mini is not on the list.   Probably because of the different app used.
2019-11-13
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_RycZeePcqamu Posted at 11-13 08:21
The Mini is not eligible for unlock through the self-unlock site.   When you go to select the type of drone you are using the mini is not on the list.   Probably because of the different app used.

I received the same email today from DJI-end of December for a fix for this.
So much for the family get together shots I was planning on for Thanksgiving :-(
I also tried the website unlock and as previously mentioned-the Mini is not in the model drop down list.
2019-11-13
Use props
djiuser_p2jzeGovWFSm
lvl.1

United States

Considering taking it back because of this. My family is flying in from several thousand miles away for Thanksgiving and I wanted some pictures/video taken from my own back yard and can't do it. UNACCEPTABLE to wait until December. This is my first drone, so I had no idea this was a thing. Had I known this beforehand, I would not have bought it.
2019-11-13
Use props
djiuser_p2jzeGovWFSm
lvl.1

United States

I suppose we could use SDRs to spoof the GPS and fly it, but that's a ridiculous fix and probably illegal to do.
2019-11-13
Use props
usere918f8a585
New

Malta

Thanks for the answer . have to wait till end of December then .
2019-11-17
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Typical DJI. Also notice you couldn't buy the fly more kit until after they sold the basic. Now there is no kit containing the items in the fly more kit, so by the time you buy the batteries, charger, etc, you would have doubled the purchase price.

Now, you tell me I won't be able to fly it? That's great. DJI you can Fcuk OFF
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

End of December is unacceptable, they should be releasing FW updates every week at least, or even twice a week, since there are tons of things popping up.
2019-11-17
Use props
Brightlights2001
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

I haven’t unboxed my Mini yet & I also live within a NFZ but I do have written permission to fly within it which I’ve done with my Air via the DJI unlock page but from reading above it seems that will not be an option which is Unacceptable!, DJI Please rectify this issue as a Priority!!.
2019-11-18
Use props
Brightlights2001
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

It appears I’m in the same boat as you all as I can’t select the Mini in the NFZ Unlock page & DJI sent me the same stock email response stating “Late December”.
DJI please rectify this as a priority!.
2019-11-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yup me in the Same Boat cant even fly in my house..... DJI What are you doing once again... Get this sorted quickly
2019-11-18
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to see what would happen (saw it mentioned in another thread) if I flew into an authorization zone (I guess same behavior in any NFZ?) so I started my Mini inside the house and quickly took off and flew it out into the backyard in attitude mode. Flew it around until it picked up enough satellites and then I got the 99 second warning saying it was going to auto land but that I would still have directional control; just could not climb. I kept it in the air and moved it around to check that. When the timer ran out, it auto landed.
Good to test this out so we are familiar with it.
2019-11-18
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I see this as an issue if you just got one and need to fly it to make sure it works within the 15 day return policy period.  Sure you can go to a non-restricted location to test it out, but by the time you come out of work it's already dark or must travel far.  As I said previously, DJI needs to prioritize this issue and provide an update asap rather than waiting over a month to unlock the blue zones.  
2019-11-18
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Brightlights2001 Posted at 11-18 02:21
I haven’t unboxed my Mini yet & I also live within a NFZ but I do have written permission to fly within it which I’ve done with my Air via the DJI unlock page but from reading above it seems that will not be an option which is Unacceptable!, DJI Please rectify this issue as a Priority!!.

You might want to unbox it and test it out just in case yours doesn't work and you can still return it within the allowed return time which is usually 15 days.  You may need to travel away from your area just to test it out.  I would be upset if mine was defective and now I can't swap it.  Just a thought.  
2019-11-18
Use props
marekmk7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 407247 ft
New Zealand

Joemar7 Posted at 11-18 08:28
You might want to unbox it and test it out just in case yours doesn't work and you can still return it within the allowed return time which is usually 15 days.  You may need to travel away from your area just to test it out.  I would be upset if mine was defective and now I can't swap it.  Just a thought.

having same issues in NZ, tried to get authorisation that I have got with my other DJI drones but the mini was not available as a choice of drone......a lot of wasted time and can't fly where I live without the unlock feature working. I would not have bought this drone knowing this...........
2019-11-19
Use props
fans5aeccb0e
lvl.1
Canada

Having the exact same issue with mine... also had it give me an overheating warning twice while I had it on sitting on my table while trying different things to make it fly... I was able to fly in my house using my iPad (no cellular and wifi only) and when I try with my iPhone - no dice.. says unable to take off for the same reasons all of you have posted about.  This is annoying.
2019-11-20
Use props
fans470395e6
lvl.2
United States

Its amazing how something like this passed to production unit. Funny thing i tried the both controllers down left and did get the pop up to unlock. but clicking unlock doesnt seem to do anything. I guess thats the penalty of early adapting an electronic. However DJI should really apologize to the consumers about this issue...
2019-11-20
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

This is the a strange company, for 60 years every company I've done business with is focused on customers returning for products that work and customer service that leaves the customer feeling happy. Purchasing product from DJI is like dealing with the cable company on South Park, weird. I was looking for someone with stock for the Mini Fly more package for two days but now after reading about the issues users are having, not any more, I'll wait until some issues are addressed. Whomever is running this company must have a bad case of ADHD, they keep changing the products to not work together and never, ever, finish  the products. I just found out that the huge Crystalsky $1,200 device doesn't work with Mavic 2!
2019-11-20
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

This is why I'm so glad I bought an Autel Evo.
2019-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_RycZeePcqamu Posted at 11-12 19:18

If the airstrip is really dead like you say it is, then I would recommend you send an email to flysafe@dji.com and give them all of the details you can about this airstrip and help them to understand it is dead.  Maybe you will be able to convince them it really is dead so that they may remove it from their GEO system.
2019-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD Posted at 11-20 21:10
This is the a strange company, for 60 years every company I've done business with is focused on customers returning for products that work and customer service that leaves the customer feeling happy. Purchasing product from DJI is like dealing with the cable company on South Park, weird. I was looking for someone with stock for the Mini Fly more package for two days but now after reading about the issues users are having, not any more, I'll wait until some issues are addressed. Whomever is running this company must have a bad case of ADHD, they keep changing the products to not work together and never, ever, finish  the products. I just found out that the huge Crystalsky $1,200 device doesn't work with Mavic 2!

I have a CrystalSky and I've used it many times with my Mavic 2 Pro.  
2019-11-20
Use props
dennis
New
United States

Same here, can't unlock the blue zone that I could unlock with the other DJI drones... Why does it take a month to fix this?
2019-11-21
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

Take my advice and return your mini. DJI is laughing at your complaints. DJI is synonymous with "A Horrible Company". Go read all the negative things people have said. They are all true. If you think that they'll allow you to unlock your $400s by Xmas, you have another thing coming. Why do you think all the responses from these BS mods exist? Like DJI Mindy? Do you really think Mindy has even flown a drone? Let's get real. You by a drone because we want great videos, excellent support, a great price and most important - you don't need anyone telling you you can't fly. The Autel Evo is a vastly superior drone and Autel treats their pilots like pilots. They have US based support and anyone who answers the phone is an experienced Evo pilot themselves and eager to help. Save a few hundred more and wait for the BestBuy deals. I bought my Autel Evo with two extra batteries for half of a Magic 2 and it's twice the machine. Guys, don't buy anything DJI.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CheckYourSix Posted at 11-21 22:47
Take my advice and return your mini. DJI is laughing at your complaints. DJI is synonymous with "A Horrible Company". Go read all the negative things people have said. They are all true. If you think that they'll allow you to unlock your $400s by Xmas, you have another thing coming. Why do you think all the responses from these BS mods exist? Like DJI Mindy? Do you really think Mindy has even flown a drone? Let's get real. You by a drone because we want great videos, excellent support, a great price and most important - you don't need anyone telling you you can't fly. The Autel Evo is a vastly superior drone and Autel treats their pilots like pilots. They have US based support and anyone who answers the phone is an experienced Evo pilot themselves and eager to help. Save a few hundred more and wait for the BestBuy deals. I bought my Autel Evo with two extra batteries for half of a Magic 2 and it's twice the machine. Guys, don't buy anything DJI.

Dude

A bit over the Top there. Yes the Mavic Mini has issues and I have been one of the ones to rant on about them but I am certain they will fix them. DJI However remains the Best Drone producer out there and the Mavic Mini is a very good drone for the price. Once the issues are sorted I am sure they will out sell most others available
2019-11-21
Use props
fans470395e6
lvl.2
United States

Useless brick in miami area for now...
EEB39019-4E64-434B-8D77-131AC0CCECBB.png
2019-11-23
Use props
Vishnu4
New

Poland

Same here. In Warsaw Poland it says i can fly upto 50M, But GEO zone is blocking it.

2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_2phxKn1SmSoN
New

United States

I'm sending this POS back, I'm on the edge of the blue zone sort of close to an airport. This is BS.
2019-11-26
Use props
djiuser_MsABCv2Yx3tB
lvl.1

United States

Hey everyone - I'm pretty upset too.  I just got off the phone and I was told a fix would be in "by December".   I asked if she meant the end of December and she said "by December".  

FIX:  I put aluminium foil on top of the drone and taped it down on the edges -- blocks GPS.  You can use it around the house but are limited to 16 feet altitude... better than nothing and at least you can sort of test it out.
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_fvyd5HIUYFqX
New
United States

djiuser_MsABCv2Yx3tB Posted at 11-29 07:49
Hey everyone - I'm pretty upset too.  I just got off the phone and I was told a fix would be in "by December".   I asked if she meant the end of December and she said "by December".  

FIX:  I put aluminium foil on top of the drone and taped it down on the edges -- blocks GPS.  You can use it around the house but are limited to 16 feet altitude... better than nothing and at least you can sort of test it out.

hey can you upload a picture if where to cover

thanks in advance
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_lR4r00MPfhO2
New
Ukraine

This is ridiculous. This is my first drone too, and I have spend couple of hours to fix that problem. This drone is a gift for my wife and we can't use this drone at all. I try to fix this at flysafe/self-unlock, but there is no Mavic Mini in dropdown menu. I put Mavic Air and SN (I assume that validation is on SN field, so dropdown menu is not correct). But I get 2 access to fly in DJI GO 4 (app for Mavic Air and others Mavic). But DJI FLY does not work properly and havn't menu for this. So I  have spend a lot of time to figure out (google, youtube etc) because I can even imaginate this situation. This is not first drone for this company, so I asumed that problem is on my side.

Thanks for Email text.
2019-12-1
Use props
DomChrisOwens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21663 ft
Canada

hubster5 Posted at 11-13 05:59
Is there no manual override that requires you to acknowledge that you understand the responsibilities?  Wow - it's like your car won't crank because it's raining or something.  What if you had special clearance? How would you fly it then?  (I am just getting started - learning!)

So theres two factors here.
- First the authorization zone (generally blue circle or bowtie) can be unlocked but only from the DJI unlock website, at least until an app update is pushed out.
- The red zones or totally restricted areas can be accessed with direct authorization. So here in Canada you either need an advanced drone pilot certificate (ADPI), or special flight operations certificate combined with an ADPI. This requirement to obtain FAA or Transport Canada authorization for flight in these zones produces a written document that would be used for submission to DJI for unlocking.

The big thing I find confusing is here in Canada the DJI Mini is in the same as the USA an unregistered/ungoverned drone. While you must fly responsibly, it is not governed by basic or advanced categories, or the regulations and zones that those certificates permit. Why the software doesnt automatically recognise this and allow users to bypass certain non-governed restrictions is beyond me.

Hopefully they do launch an update near the end of the month for the fly app that at least handles the authorization unlocking.
2019-12-3
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules