Traveling to UK, Need Registration?
828 11 2019-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NolocProduction
lvl.2
United States

Hello all!

I will be traveling to London in 2 weeks and suprising my girlfriend by asking her to marry me! Because of that, I picked up a Mavic Air.

That being said, I have planned to visit some neat spots on the coast and would love to get some awesome drone shots of us to make a small "engagement video" for the fam.

My understanding is that in the US, the Mavic Air does need to be registered (someone correct me if Im wrong).

My understandng also is that registration in the UK doesnt become law until Nov 30th. Do I need to register? Do I need to register if Im just a US visitor? Do I need to register if Im already registered in the US?

Any help appreciated, thanks everyone!
2019-11-12
Use props
monkeyseemonkey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United Kingdom

I think you should be ok. At present in the UK we have until the end of November to register any drone 250g and over so assuming you abide by the normal rules you should be fine. Keep in mind that there are a number of military firing ranges around the coast which will come under restricted zones but otherwise good luck! Best bet would be to connect to wifi and fire up your drone somewhere in the UK so it can update its relevant databases etc. and the drone itself should keep you legal.
2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day NolocProduction. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI copilots with regards to this matter. In addition I will post a link where in some DJI flying tips ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips?site=brandsite&from=nav ) and a link where in you can check if a certain location is free to fly your DJI or if a certain location is a NFZ ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ). Thank you and keep safe.
2019-11-12
Use props
NolocProduction
lvl.2
United States

monkeyseemonkey Posted at 11-12 10:47
I think you should be ok. At present in the UK we have until the end of November to register any drone 250g and over so assuming you abide by the normal rules you should be fine. Keep in mind that there are a number of military firing ranges around the coast which will come under restricted zones but otherwise good luck! Best bet would be to connect to wifi and fire up your drone somewhere in the UK so it can update its relevant databases etc. and the drone itself should keep you legal.

Thanks for that info!

We will be going specifically to Seven Sisters coast. Aside from some awesome photography, id like to capture a shot of us walking towards the edge when the drone flying over and ahead of us into the ocean. I will see if there are any restrictions in that area.

So as far as registration goes, I should be good. We will be arriving in London 23rd. And then driving to the coast the 25th Im not mistaken.

God help me with the driving...lol
2019-11-12
Use props
monkeyseemonkey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4347 ft
United Kingdom

Hmm... ok, so officially there are no restrictions as far as the CAA are concerned:

BUT Seven Sisters Country Park have a 'strict no drones policy': Link so you may need to email them and plead your case if you are going to be within the Country Park.

As for the driving... the roads are narrower, busier and more hectic than the States for sure but you'll be fine! Remember we drive on the left and have roundabouts ;) !!
2019-11-12
Use props
NolocProduction
lvl.2
United States

monkeyseemonkey Posted at 11-12 11:23
Hmm... ok, so officially there are no restrictions as far as the CAA are concerned:

[view_image]

Yea I saw that there no restrictions according to the map.

I didnt realize it was park that had restrictions though. I may email them. At the same time, I see the countless drone shots uploaded on youtube (not that Im condoning their activities) so we will see lol. Ive gone to parks here in the states with "no drone" policies and flown, only because Im not trying to disturb or harm anything, Im quite careful (and thats my self justification lolol)

Thanks for the info.

We will be in London, on 24th we will drive from London and do the 3 stop tour of Stonehenge, Roman Baths and Windsor Castle. 25th we will drive to Seven Sisters and stop at 2 locations along the way that are small towns (cant remember the names at the moment) that look cute and have that "english" touch to them. One has a castle I believe or both might have castles.
2019-11-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to fly after the 30th, you need to register, take the test and label the drone - see https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

monkeyseemonkey Posted at 11-12 11:23

[view_image]

For seven sisters you can take off from the beach to avoid there rule.
2019-11-13
Use props
NolocProduction
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 02:16
For seven sisters you can take off from the beach to avoid there rule.

Thank you for that info!!
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

NolocProduction Posted at 11-13 06:41

Lots of country parks try to stop you from flying, but they dont own the air space so you can take off outside and fly over with no issue, although best not to advertise what your doing too much.
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

NolocProduction Posted at 11-13 06:41

Also check out this youtube, he actually shows how he did a fight at stonehenge.

2019-11-13
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

NolocProduction Posted at 11-12 11:00
Thanks for that info!

We will be going specifically to Seven Sisters coast. Aside from some awesome photography, id like to capture a shot of us walking towards the edge when the drone flying over and ahead of us into the ocean. I will see if there are any restrictions in that area.

the roads round Seven Sisters are relatively quiet, however you'll need to abide by the rules of not flying near other people.

Your biggest problem is going to be the winds, it's notoriously windy there and given the time of year it will probably be raining too.
2019-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules