Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where can I fly my Mavic Mini?
11199 8 2019-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

I've been doing some research and I've come across conflicting information.

Some say that drone under 250g can basically be flown anywhere as long as you are careful and don't fly recklessly. Others say that the only benefit for drones under 250g is that they aren't required to be registered.

Which one is correct? After reading through some articles I'm tending towards the side of drones under 250g can be flown with fewer restrictions than those above the limit. E.g. The Drone map on dji fly app is far less restrictive than the B4UFly map.

In my opinion, it makes sense because the regular restrictions apply for drones up to 55lbs. So they definitely tend towards the side of caution

2019-11-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry. First, the DJI Mavic Mini can be flown as long as we follow the rules and regulation provided by the government. Second, for the weight of the DJI Mavic Mini which is below 250 grams, there are some countries that doesn't require a registration because the drone is not beyond the weight limit for registration. Just a friendly flying tips : Always follow local regulations, always fly in open areas and keep your drone within line of sight. For safety reasons, you should never fly above people, animals, or moving vehicles, never fly near or interfere with manned aircraft operations, never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol, keep your hands on the control sticks to maintain control throughout flight, take off with strong GPS signal to set a Home Point and ensure positioning stability and check your drone for damage and fully charge your equipment before each flight. Thank you.
2019-11-12
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-12 11:28
Hi. Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry. First, the DJI Mavic Mini can be flown as long as we follow the rules and regulation provided by the government. Second, for the weight of the DJI Mavic Mini which is below 250 grams, there are some countries that doesn't require a registration because the drone is not beyond the weight limit for registration. Just a friendly flying tips : Always follow local regulations, always fly in open areas and keep your drone within line of sight. For safety reasons, you should never fly above people, animals, or moving vehicles, never fly near or interfere with manned aircraft operations, never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol, keep your hands on the control sticks to maintain control throughout flight, take off with strong GPS signal to set a Home Point and ensure positioning stability and check your drone for damage and fully charge your equipment before each flight. Thank you.

Hey DJI Paladin, thanks for the response!

I have another question. The FAA map has no-fly zones over some protected state parks such as the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. Why does the DJI Fly map not geo-fence these areas off? Are we allowed to fly drones such as the Mavic Mini within these areas or is the DJI Fly map just not completely up to date yet.

Another question: The FAA zones out a much larger area as a restricted area around airports than the DJI Fly map. Which one is correct? I'd assume that the DJI Fly app is more accurate considering the size of DJI drones while the FAA puts a zone that encompasses drones all the way to 55lbs.

TLDR: If I follow the DJI Fly app map and restrictions, will I be ok?

2019-11-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

The later is correct, no need to register but you still have to the follow the normal rules.
2019-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That does depend on local legislation of course.
2019-11-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-12 12:07
Hey DJI Paladin, thanks for the response!

I have another question. The FAA map has no-fly zones over some protected state parks such as the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. Why does the DJI Fly map not geo-fence these areas off? Are we allowed to fly drones such as the Mavic Mini within these areas or is the DJI Fly map just not completely up to date yet.

Hi, thank you for the additional query. For the DJI Fly , please make sure to always check for updates pertaining the geo-fence, In addition, you can visit ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map ) for the DJI Geo Map website to check the locations of the geo-fence in the area, to ensure that we are up to date regarding the "No Fly Zone "policy. Thank you.
2019-11-13
Use props
ICDroneSE
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 02:11
The later is correct, no need to register but you still have to the follow the normal rules.

I think so too, but I'm just baffled that they regulate 55lb drones and 0.5lb drones the same way. Like especially for National Parks. Near airports, etc. I understand
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-13 16:50
I think so too, but I'm just baffled that they regulate 55lb drones and 0.5lb drones the same way. Like especially for National Parks. Near airports, etc. I understand

Yea, odd isnt it.
2019-11-14
Use props
skywriter
New
Canada

If you're reading post that say you can fly anywhere as long as you don't fly "recklessly", I think you're almost certainly reading posts either about Canada or someone who's confused because they read something about Canada & misinterpreted it. We have quite significant drone restrictions (testing, 5.9 kilometres from airports, many others), except for under 250g the one and only reg that applies is against "reckless", "negligent" or "dangerous" flight" - that exact words is used.
2019-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules