Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
So who flies during the winter months ?
123Next >
2392 89 2019-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mockingbird_71
First Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Ive always wondered who actually flies during the winter months ?

If you do fly, where in the world do you fly and what is your favourite subject matter.

I would love to see some of your photos or videos shot over the cold months of the year

if in fact you do have cold months where you live, unlike in the uk where its normally cold.

This thread is to promote your videos and talk about settings you use and how you overcome the challenges from filming in cold weather.

Over to you

2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,  UK here too,  I try to fly where I can weather permitting,  been difficult lately because of the rain.   Its a good time to fly in places which might be too busy in the summer.
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 01:56
Hi,  UK here too,  I try to fly where I can weather permitting,  been difficult lately because of the rain.   Its a good time to fly in places which might be too busy in the summer.

im in the uk also ! and yes the rain has been bad over the last week or so although here in yorkshire the sun is out today ! where is your favourite place to fly ? what precautions do you take when flying in colder weather ?
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 02:00
im in the uk also ! and yes the rain has been bad over the last week or so although here in yorkshire the sun is out today ! where is your favourite place to fly ? what precautions do you take when flying in colder weather ?

I just make sure my batteries are not too cold and always fly into wind on the outbound part of the flight, apart from that I don't think I do anything special.
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 02:18
I just make sure my batteries are not too cold and always fly into wind on the outbound part of the flight, apart from that I don't think I do anything special.

i find with the phantom 3 pro batteries they require to be above 12 degrees c if i remember corectly i might be wrong, i also ensure the drone has time to normalise outside to ensure the camera doesnt fog up when flying ! if i get multple errors from the software i pack up and leave it! not worth breaking the drone.

i would love to know what precautions these guys take who film beautiful footage in places like the alps or switzerland or norway, places that are always cold
2019-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thankfully winter is only 7 months long here.  Haha

RedHotPoker

2019-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

The terrible situation in UK has my heartfelt thoughts for those displaced and lost.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Latvia and we drop to -20C or lower at times ...

I absolutely love the winter - sparkly iced trees ... blue skys ... crisp clean air.

2019-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

I know the thread is on a DJI site ... but some may be interested in regular RC in winter ?

Here's our club having a bit of fun at one of our flight fields ....

2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-13 02:58
Thankfully winter is only 7 months long here.  Haha

Only 7 months holy moly ! I would be in permanent hibernation. That must present some serious issues especially when planning any kind of flight ! Do you fly in areas where it is cold? If so what precautions do you take to ensure the drone works as it should and remains in one piece ! Also be great to see people’s work either pictures or videos from your drone adventures as this is a drone forum !
2019-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not so much.
But if there is snow (not very common here in NL) I try to
2019-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice images btw!
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

This was on a rather murky day a the beginning of the year.

2019-11-13
Use props
jbj220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847031 ft
United States

Michigan here, just keep your fingers warm! I've flown in -5 degrees with no problems, this image is from last week here at 15 degrees.
2019-11-13
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I also fly in the winter months, but living by the sea there are not a lot of seriously cold times. I, ike others, take extra precautions to keep my batteries warm, but my biggest problem is that of the ipad battery failing because of the cold.
2019-11-13
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly all year long regardless of seasons here but needs to be above 45 degrees.
2019-11-13
Use props
Archangel3356
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Nice photos sir. Fly all winter long here in Arizona. It’s the preferred time of year to fly. Only a flannel shirt is required on the coldest of days.
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jbj220 Posted at 11-13 04:50
Michigan here, just keep your fingers warm! I've flown in -5 degrees with no problems, this image is from last week here at 15 degrees.
[view_image]

Nice,  how long was that exposure?
2019-11-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 04:49
This was on a rather murky day a the beginning of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLXSzhh07-c

absolutely stunning video
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

Archangel3356 Posted at 11-13 05:43
Nice photos sir. Fly all winter long here in Arizona. It’s the preferred time of year to fly. Only a flannel shirt is required on the coldest of days.

sounds a great place to fly
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

[view_image]

that picture is absolutely beautiful , those colours are beyond real thank you for sharing that
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 11-13 04:54
I also fly in the winter months, but living by the sea there are not a lot of seriously cold times. I, ike others, take extra precautions to keep my batteries warm, but my biggest problem is that of the ipad battery failing because of the cold.

I have exactly the same problem with my ipad mini battery ! it drops power really quickly when everything is running !
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-13 04:34
Not so much.
But if there is snow (not very common here in NL) I try to

you really dont need an exscuse to get out with a drone ! and i thought it always snowed in the netherlands
2019-11-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Surely, our valued DJI Forum members would provide their feedback and recommendations with regard the query. May you please always have a safe flight!
2019-11-13
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 11-13 09:21
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Surely, our valued DJI Forum members would provide their feedback and recommendations with regard the query. May you please always have a safe flight!

Thanks for the interjection I was hoping maybe you where going to provide us with a story of how you fly drones over winter? or in cold places somewhere remote in the world. i love the mods spurious responses lol
2019-11-13
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

We haven't had much cold weather at all here in sunny California.
But these are some shots I took during a powerline inspection last winter.
I don't have to do much for the cold as it doesn't get much below 20 degrees.
Just a warm coat, fingerless gloves and pay attention to the bat temps.

Cheers
2019-11-13
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Part of the Sierra Mountain Range

Here are a couple more

2019-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 03:21
Only 7 months holy moly ! I would be in permanent hibernation. That must present some serious issues especially when planning any kind of flight ! Do you fly in areas where it is cold? If so what precautions do you take to ensure the drone works as it should and remains in one piece ! Also be great to see people’s work either pictures or videos from your drone adventures as this is a drone forum !

I won’t post YouTube videos because I don’t like Google...

Yes winter is bitter here. But somehow we seem to survive it, year after year.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Quite a few years ago there was a Phantom pilot who used to post on PP occasionally - she was in Alaska.  She insisted she has flown many times in temps in the -15 F range.   That's cold!  

OTOH, I haven't seen her posts lately.  I wonder why?  

I think the main thing is, you have to be sure to start with a warm battery.  

And it might not hurt to start with a warm drone too.

Here is my coldest flight - air temp 18F/-8C with snow falling.  I very gently warmed both the battery and the drone in my kitchen oven before flight.  

2019-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

[view_image]

Gorgeous snap of your environment, Beautifully rendered and displayed.

Thanks a lot for sharing your work with the forum folk.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 11-13 17:15
Quite a few years ago there was a Phantom pilot who used to post on PP occasionally - she was in Alaska.  She insisted she has flown many times in temps in the -15 F range.   That's cold!  

OTOH, I haven't seen her posts lately.  I wonder why?  

I am an avid follower of “Alaskan Bush People” and a variety of the plethora of gold mining shows, all of which had previously been about living in and around the vast wilderness & for many living off the land.

There are always gorgeous aerial video footage, taken by Phantom 3 Pros.  
We know there is at least one member of the Brown family, who has her membership here in the forum... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 03:21
Only 7 months holy moly ! I would be in permanent hibernation. That must present some serious issues especially when planning any kind of flight ! Do you fly in areas where it is cold? If so what precautions do you take to ensure the drone works as it should and remains in one piece ! Also be great to see people’s work either pictures or videos from your drone adventures as this is a drone forum !

No, it  actually only seems like it’s that long.

Between a short fall and lengthy cold spring season... we freeze our arse for far too long.

We get used used to it, somehow. Climatize and dress for success. Haha

RedHotPoker
2019-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 08:40
absolutely stunning video

thanks mockingbird_71.
2019-11-14
Use props
jbj220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847031 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 05:53
Nice,  how long was that exposure?

ISO: 100 / f2.8 / 1/15sec.
2019-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

jbj220 Posted at 11-14 04:39
ISO: 100 / f2.8 / 1/15sec.

Thanks,  I would have guessed a longer exposure than that.
2019-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 08:51
you really dont need an exscuse to get out with a drone ! and i thought it always snowed in the netherlands

Gheghegheghe.
2019-11-14
Use props
Archangel3356
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

mockingbird_71 Posted at 11-13 08:41
sounds a great place to fly

Yes it is Mockingbird. If your ever in the area shout me up and I’ll be happy to show you some great places to fly. Here’s a quick example of just flying from my driveway. Couldn’t ask for a better place to live.
2019-11-14
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

really nice images of the power line inspection ! and sure you said for a minute you where in california! have they ever had snow on the coast lol
2019-11-14
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

Archangel3356 Posted at 11-14 05:27
Yes it is Mockingbird. If your ever in the area shout me up and I’ll be happy to show you some great places to fly. Here’s a quick example of just flying from my driveway. Couldn’t ask for a better place to live.

wonderful video buddy lovely clarity too ? you live here ? looks like a place that has big spiders and snakes that rattle lol what altitude where you at if you dont mind me asking ! almost looks like your in a helicopter
2019-11-14
Use props
mockingbird_71
First Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 11-13 15:12
I won’t post YouTube videos because I don’t like Google...

Yes winter is bitter here. But somehow we seem to survive it, year after year.

your as hard as nails my good friend i go into shutdown where theres lots of snow and cold weather
2019-11-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules