Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Interesting article from Reuters via The Verge. Smartphone Monitor.
1219 20 2019-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

I thought this was an interesting read from The Verge. Original article here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963702/dji-drone-remote-identification-smartphone-app
Here's a snippet:

"DJI is working on technology that would let anyone with a smartphone keep track of airborne drones that are nearby, according to Reuters. The news was announced amid a broader push for data transparency in the drone industry.
The tracking technology will be made available to the public via a smartphone app, DJI said. Using only Wi-Fi, a person could use the app to identify a nearby drone’s identification number, as well as location, altitude, speed, and direction of the drone. The application could be made available in 2020, pending regulatory approval. The Chinese company said the purpose of the new technology was “enhanced safety, security and peace of mind.”

How do users feel about this?

2019-11-13
Use props
Bjord
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1861880 ft
Canada

I like the idea on paper. I think it's fair that people should be able to locate drones around them and be able to identify them in public, or if someone is using a drone to trespass on your property.

Things start getting dicey when you consider flying on your own private property. I don't think its fair that people would be able to see you flying around, say, inside your home. That should be completely private and nobody has any business knowing what you do on your own property with your drone. I also think that this could be used by criminals to locate expensive drones, follow them back to their owner, and steal them. Not particularly likely, but still a possibility. People get jumped every single day for much less.
2019-11-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you for sharing this informative article and this link with us. Nice find and thank you for valued support.
2019-11-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

definitely can and def will be used for evil in general public's hand.    i know it will because i can instantly think of ways to exploit people around me and not get caught.  spot a drone, pull it up in app, find the RTH position/pilot position, go there, sneak around them and take their wallet, key's, cash, credit cards, even go full evil and hold them up at gunpoint for their overpriced DJi drone and phone entirely.

2019-11-15
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.4
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-15 12:04
definitely can and def will be used for evil in general public's hand.    i know it will because i can instantly think of ways to exploit people around me and not get caught.  spot a drone, pull it up in app, find the RTH position/pilot position, go there, sneak around them and take their wallet, key's, cash, credit cards, even go full evil and hold them up at gunpoint for their overpriced DJi drone and phone entirely.

You have a devious mind. I respect that.
2019-11-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Knapweed Posted at 11-15 13:08
You have a devious mind. I respect that.

i just live in reality.  i mean over in the UK was a stabbing over a drone pilot to steal their mavic 2, just randomly happened upon the pilot and used the opportunity and lack of people around o take advantage of the situation.  luckily currently pretty isolated thing but alot of oppertunistic criminals out ther and alot of fear mongering over consumer drone use. plenty of bad actors who would love this tool...

imagine if those same kind of people willing to do that in broad daylight had an app and could select the type of drone and thus value and risk to reward ratio of their desire, could potentially even click on all drones and see who is most isolated to most easily exploit.  mavic 2 pro is $1800 so there is plenty of risk to reward ratio there for someone to exploit.   i mean not only violence, knives, guns, beating, etc etc.. which is most likely but could also impersonate government officials which anymore isn't terrible hard with all online shops for clothing and badges and plenty of online guides for police codes and lingo in various locales and attempt to seize property and could manage to do it.

2019-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-15 13:18
i just live in reality.  i mean over in the UK was a stabbing over a drone pilot to steal their mavic 2, just randomly happened upon the pilot and used the opportunity and lack of people around o take advantage of the situation.  luckily currently pretty isolated thing but alot of oppertunistic criminals out ther and alot of fear mongering over consumer drone use. plenty of bad actors who would love this tool...

imagine if those same kind of people willing to do that in broad daylight had an app and could select the type of drone and thus value and risk to reward ratio of their desire, could potentially even click on all drones and see who is most isolated to most easily exploit.  mavic 2 pro is $1800 so there is plenty of risk to reward ratio there for someone to exploit.   i mean not only violence, knives, guns, beating, etc etc.. which is most likely but could also impersonate government officials which anymore isn't terrible hard with all online shops for clothing and badges and plenty of online guides for police codes and lingo in various locales and attempt to seize property and could manage to do it.

If dji and cops and general public know EXACTLY where drone is, what would be the point in any thief stealing it, I mean he can fly it sell it use it in any way unless he wants to use it as an ornament on the sideboard.
Maybe this will keep drone flyers much safer, but it certainly won’t attract any criminals unless they’re dumb enough to be heading off with a drone that everyone knows is stolen .
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 04:55
If dji and cops and general public know EXACTLY where drone is, what would be the point in any thief stealing it, I mean he can fly it sell it use it in any way unless he wants to use it as an ornament on the sideboard.
Maybe this will keep drone flyers much safer, but it certainly won’t attract any criminals unless they’re dumb enough to be heading off with a drone that everyone knows is stolen .

not sure why you think that's a deterrent when to criminals.  sh*t there are people who will smash your car window to steal $50 bill even if you parked your car across from an active police station in a busy shopping center.  ask me how i know -.-  

i mean people where ripping iPhones from people in need, pregnant women, tourist, and locals for half the value of what you could fence off a Mavic 2 pro for...and doing it in broad daylight in public nd even near where police were patrolling, you really think criminals will pas up such a beautiful opportunity for $1000?
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 09:53
not sure why you think that's a deterrent when to criminals.  sh*t there are people who will smash your car window to steal $50 bill even if you parked your car across from an active police station in a busy shopping center.  ask me how i know -.-  

i mean people where ripping iPhones from people in need, pregnant women, tourist, and locals for half the value of what you could fence off a Mavic 2 pro for...and doing it in broad daylight in public nd even near where police were patrolling, you really think criminals will pas up such a beautiful opportunity for $1000?

It’s funny you should say that, isn’t it amazing that without apps thieves steal stuff, but they don’t seem to steal many drones , but now hysteria tells us because of an app drone owners will be the new targets of thieves , it’s funny they don’t need apps to rob pregnant women but the do need apps to steal drones, it’s rubbish, ye might go around shooting each other for a drone worth nothing but the rest of the world doesn’t.
And don’t go quoting man stabbed in UK over drone , it’s nowhere to be found, so before you take second hand info and run with it show us where it came from .
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 10:17
It’s funny you should say that, isn’t it amazing that without apps thieves steal stuff, but they don’t seem to steal many drones , but now hysteria tells us because of an app drone owners will be the new targets of thieves , it’s funny they don’t need apps to rob pregnant women but the do need apps to steal drones, it’s rubbish, ye might go around shooting each other for a drone worth nothing but the rest of the world doesn’t.
And don’t go quoting man stabbed in UK over drone , it’s nowhere to be found, so before you take second hand info and run with it show us where it came from .

i dont need an app, no one needs it, but it makes it f*cking easy and also means police have less to go on since it can be committed by random people more frequently not just someone who knows about drones and areas that pilots may frequent and wont even need to know the pilot, completely random. i mean even i am considering it..cuz what are the downsides? i see very little.  hell if im caught the sh*t i fence off will easilly allow me to bail myself out same day.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 10:31
i dont need an app, no one needs it, but it makes it f*cking easy and also means police have less to go on since it can be committed by random people more frequently not just someone who knows about drones and areas that pilots may frequent and wont even need to know the pilot, completely random. i mean even i am considering it..cuz what are the downsides? i see very little.  hell if im caught the sh*t i fence off will easilly allow me to bail myself out same day.

So if the app tells you where the drone is, surely we will all know where the thief is flying the drone, s  app lols you where the drone is flying is helping the thief but everyone with an app knows the thief how do you square that circle ?
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 10:37
So if the app tells you where the drone is, surely we will all know where the thief is flying the drone, s  app lols you where the drone is flying is helping the thief but everyone with an app knows the thief how do you square that circle ?

should do further reading and watching videos on what DJi is purposing for this app.   they mention that also reveals not just the drone spec's and name and hardware, as well as real time telemetry but also the pilot position as well as the RTH point.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 10:39
should do further reading and watching videos on what DJi is purposing for this app.   they mention that also reveals not just the drone spec's and name and hardware, as well as real time telemetry but also the pilot position as well as the RTH point.

Again keep with it, you said the thief is better off having the app, but everyone knows where he is flying the stolen drone.
Surely a thief who steals something is much better off and has a much better chance of getting away with stealing if no one knew where he had it and if this is the case then the app is bad for the thief.
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 10:47
Again keep with it, you said the thief is better off having the app, but everyone knows where he is flying the stolen drone.
Surely a thief who steals something is much better off and has a much better chance of getting away with stealing if no one knew where he had it and if this is the case then the app is bad for the thief.

first of all, if someone going to steal for profit, it they arent also going to fly it. so they dont care cuz cash is king.   second of all, can be parted out and sell parts to repair shops that are unsuspecting or less aware of the situation, can swap the mainboard over cheaply and get a fresh serial # plus the FAA does not prevent you from using fake serial numbers hell technically dont even need a serial number if you claim is a custom build which does include rebuilt / salvaged drones as well to register and has no way of validating serial numbers either so if FAA is enforcing anything well good luck.

finally, plenty of people, including me that if price is right i dont care if the item is hot.  
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 10:55
first of all, if someone going to steal for profit, it they arent also going to fly it. so they dont care cuz cash is king.   second of all, can be parted out and sell parts to repair shops that are unsuspecting or less aware of the situation, can swap the mainboard over cheaply and get a fresh serial # plus the FAA does not prevent you from using fake serial numbers hell technically dont even need a serial number if you claim is a custom build which does include rebuilt / salvaged drones as well to register and has no way of validating serial numbers either so if FAA is enforcing anything well good luck.

finally, plenty of people, including me that if price is right i dont care if the item is hot.

If somebody wants to steal for profit then he’ll make much more profit selling the drone whole but now he will only be able to that if there is NO app.

Parts yes I can see it now break a M2 down for parts, wait for customers that need all the parts and get a $100 for the lot , I can buy most parts very cheaply on eBay and yes their legal .

Unlike you I believe there are many more people who will not but hot goods and if there was more of them then criminals wouldn’t have a market, it’s the likes of you that encourages others to steal drones and anything else you would buy hot .
Good day
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 11:04
If somebody wants to steal for profit then he’ll make much more profit selling the drone whole but now he will only be able to that if there is NO app.

Parts yes I can see it now break a M2 down for parts, wait for customers that need all the parts and get a $100 for the lot , I can buy most parts very cheaply on eBay and yes their legal .

and you are going senile again..
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 11:08
and you are going senile again..

I thought you might get personal when you can’t defend buying parts of somebody’s stolen drone and most likely someone from a forum like this .
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 11:10
I thought you might get personal when you can’t defend buying parts of somebody’s stolen drone and most likely someone from a forum like this .

i have done it myself repairing drones.   i would have figured would have picked up on it when i said for the right price even i dont care of an item i hot, alot of people done, didnt say most people, i dont care about most people.  obviously someone can't take a clue...
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 11:14
i have done it myself repairing drones.   i would have figured would have picked up on it when i said for the right price even i dont care of an item i hot, alot of people done, didnt say most people, i dont care about most people.  obviously someone can't take a clue...

I’m not sure whether your bragging now, it’s the second time you said you buy stolen goods, most people couldn’t give a sh#t so keeping repeating it just makes you look dumb, isn’t it law in the US to knowingly buy stolen goods, and how dumb is it to admit it publicly, just saying .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 11:14
i have done it myself repairing drones.   i would have figured would have picked up on it when i said for the right price even i dont care of an item i hot, alot of people done, didnt say most people, i dont care about most people.  obviously someone can't take a clue...

I’m not sure whether your bragging now, it’s the second time you said you buy stolen goods, most people couldn’t give a sh#t so keeping repeating it just makes you look dumb, isn’t it law in the US to knowingly buy stolen goods, and how dumb is it to admit it publicly, just saying .
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 11:37

only you give a ....  not even the police give a sh*t
2019-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules