Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
controller + iPad MINI issue? / not working
1163 22 2019-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

So, got the mavic mini today, excited (yay!)
Purchased the extra add-on for the 'iPad mini' holder/controller tablet holder.

Just discovered there are only *three* cables designed for smart phones, not for connecting an iPad... <sad face>

So, how do I connect my iPad Mini to the controller?

Is there some other special cable I have to purchase? Or what can I do? (Also, what are the 'ends' of both cables called, i.e., 'ipad connector to _______' to see if I can google a cable). A bit upsetting, because I wanted to the mavic mini, but can't...

Thank-you.

2019-11-14
Use props
IEdzus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 423369 ft
Ireland

ipads are not supported by the dji fly app, here is the official list Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6. [2]
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59511 ft
United States

A iPad mini will work, but the screen isn't optimized for the iPad mini. Hopefully they'll update the app for the mini. You'll have to buy a longer micro usb to lightning cable. Theres many out there. I bought this one on Amazon today because the ends look exactly like the original ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019-11-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, thank you fro posting your inquiry, With regard the iPad Mini is not yet listed as a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly, rest assured we are still continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the compatible device list. Thank you for your valued support and understanding.
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-14 16:43
Hi, thank you fro posting your inquiry, With regard the iPad Mini is not yet listed as a recommended mobile device for the DJI Fly, rest assured we are still continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the compatible device list. Thank you for your valued support and understanding.

Okay........ so how can I use it then in the meantime? (I had actually asked *before* ordering and was told it would work with an iPad mini, which is why I also bought the iPad holder).

Right now I can't really use it (because I don't have a smartphone), I only have the iPad mini...

Can you recommend some specific cables in the meantime, & what 'connections' both are so I know what to google? (Is it a 'lighting to micro usb'? or is it something else?)

Thanks... Was really hoping I could try this out right away...
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

that_HMMWV_guy Posted at 11-14 16:30
A iPad mini will work, but the screen isn't optimized for the iPad mini. Hopefully they'll update the app for the mini. You'll have to buy a longer micro usb to lightning cable. Theres many out there. I bought this one on Amazon today because the ends look exactly like the original ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks, just noticed your post, I'll try that!
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-14 17:11
thanks, just noticed your post, I'll try that!

You’re welcome.
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2241375 ft
United States

Buy this - if you want a quick solution

RCGEEK Compatible with DJI Spark OTG Cable Phone to Controller Data Cable 1ft Right Angle Nylon Braised for DJI Mavic Mini Mavic Pro 2 Mavic 2 Zoom Mavic Air Mavic Pro Platinum DJI Spark, 1 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747DYMM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PXFZDbEJ47QD9
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
United States

25E909AA-A2EB-41F9-97F9-24037CF8805C.jpeg
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

WSUPolar Posted at 11-14 17:16
Buy this - if you want a quick solution

RCGEEK Compatible with DJI Spark OTG Cable Phone to Controller Data Cable 1ft Right Angle Nylon Braised for DJI Mavic Mini Mavic Pro 2 Mavic 2 Zoom Mavic Air Mavic Pro Platinum DJI Spark, 1 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747DYMM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PXFZDbEJ47QD9

That’s the same one I was going to buy at first earlier. Then I saw the one I posted the link to and decided to get it instead because the ends look exactly like the original DJI ones.
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
United States

that_HMMWV_guy Posted at 11-14 17:25
That’s the same one I was going to buy at first earlier. Then I saw the one I posted the link to and decided to get it instead because the ends look exactly like the original DJI ones.
The original end design will not fit in my otter box - that was why I switched to this cable.

(And for the added length) I bought at the same time as the mount since my iPhone in the case will not fit in the controller arm/mounts.
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

What tablet mount are you using, and do you recommend it? I need to find a good one.
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
United States

I bought this one - since it was cheap - I’ve used it for three days and about 12 flights now. It’s actually well designed the main body is sturdy aluminum!

Love the fold flat design.  It’s the same one that’s pictured above.

UZOPI Mavic Air Pro Platinum Spark Tablet Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RK5FYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jaGZDbXF0JHMT
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

WSUPolar Posted at 11-14 17:32
I bought this one - since it was cheap - I’ve used it for three days and about 12 flights now. It’s actually well designed the main body is sturdy aluminum!

Love the fold flat design.  It’s the same one that’s pictured above.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

So question - I'm looking @ both cables on amazon - and both have people saying they've had issues where it only works 2-3x, and then stops. Have either of you had issues with those cables? (Obviously I want to make sure it works! )

Thanks!
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
United States

I take most negative reviews with large heaping a of salt - squeaky wheels and all that.

I saw those same reviews, but I also did IT support for 10 years ... to many “I just set it down and it broke” lies for me to trust reviews.  

That said - about 8 “uses” in and my cable is just fine. I have no fear of it breaking anytime soon.
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

WSUPolar Posted at 11-14 18:13
I take most negative reviews with large heaping a of salt - squeaky wheels and all that.

I saw those same reviews, but I also did IT support for 10 years ... to many “I just set it down and it broke” lies for me to trust reviews.  

kk, thx, I appreciate that ;) & yes - I do take negative reivews with a grain of salt too (competition deliberately posting -ve stuff, etc) - but with respect to cables - I don't have much knowledge in this area and it 'seemed' like a valid point - but not sure how legit they were... thanks! seems it will cost $40 if I want it 'express', or I can wait a week and a half to get it for $20
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

pps  - sometimes though I prefer paying for a 'higher quality' just to be on the safe side (i.e., if I knew what the equivalent 'apple store' cable would be, I'd get it there)... do you know what the 'ending' of the cable is called? (I found this, so not sure if it is a "usb-c" ending, or what:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/pr ... lightning-cable-1-m)

there are now a lot of "middleman dropshippers" on amazon simply dropping shipping something (cheaper than on amazon) from aliexpress, adding 50-100% markup, and then selling on amazon, so sometimes I'm reluctant to make amazon.com purchases because they really are just 'cheap cheap' quality items...
2019-11-14
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
United States

As we’ve said in other threads - micro USB
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-14 17:41
So question - I'm looking @ both cables on amazon - and both have people saying they've had issues where it only works 2-3x, and then stops. Have either of you had issues with those cables? (Obviously I want to make sure it works! )

Thanks!

I haven’t received mine yet to try it. I know with some aftermarket lightning cables you may eventually get a “this accessory is not supported” message if Apple eventually decides to block the cable. If you’re not worried about the ends looking like the original ends I’d go with WSUPolar’s suggestion, because it’s had more purchases and reviews. That’s the one I was going to purchase until I saw the one that had the OEM looking ends. But I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.
2019-11-14
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.4
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-14 18:15
kk, thx, I appreciate that ;) & yes - I do take negative reivews with a grain of salt too (competition deliberately posting -ve stuff, etc) - but with respect to cables - I don't have much knowledge in this area and it 'seemed' like a valid point - but not sure how legit they were... thanks! seems it will cost $40 if I want it 'express', or I can wait a week and a half to get it for $20

Is Amazon different in Canada then it is in the US? WSUPolar’s cable is only $7.59 us and I can get it this Saturday with prime.
2019-11-14
Use props
djiguy001
First Officer

Canada

that_HMMWV_guy Posted at 11-14 18:30
Is Amazon different in Canada then it is in the US? WSUPolar’s cable is only $7.59 us and I can get it this Saturday with prime.

yes, it is - at least for me. when I go to check out - it shows $40 ($27 for shipping, then taxes, then product). I don't use prime.

if I wait a week and a half, the price (total) is about $20.
2019-11-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiguy001 Posted at 11-14 17:10
Okay........ so how can I use it then in the meantime? (I had actually asked *before* ordering and was told it would work with an iPad mini, which is why I also bought the iPad holder).

Right now I can't really use it (because I don't have a smartphone), I only have the iPad mini...

Hi, thank you for the response and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. With regards to the cable needed for you to be able to use your DJI Mavic Mini. I will be posting a link where in you can check if there is an available cable to connect the said remote controller to the iPad Mini
( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) . In addition  I hope our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2019-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules