Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI makes app to identify drones and find pilots
8004 164 2019-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 10:53
If there would not be so many of 'us' breaking the rules the need would be felt much less....

Or we had representatives in our Governments who believed in Freedom instead of grabbing further control and power.  All while exempting themselves from laws and regulations they set forth.

For example: Here in U.S. when Obamacare (Affordable Health Care Act) was before Congress, Congress exempted themselves from Obamacare.  Why?  Because Congress had their own builtin Health Care system, which made Obamacare look like a pathetic joke.

2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 12:44
I don't understand why you continue the debate if you don't support the Drone ID proposal?  Do you favor it or not?  That being said, you are putting the cart before the horse.  There needs to be a compelling reason for the app to exist & encroach on citizen's privacy & safety.  Zero deaths from a few million drones isn't much of a reason.

"Zero deaths from a few million drones isn't much of a reason."

Leading back to my point of data collection.  Or there has to be another reason.
One other possibility which comes to mind, one used long time ago here in U.S. during food wars between companies.

Company lobbies Government to enact laws or regulations that only lobbying company has current ability to meet.  Which once enacted does two things:
1) Temporarily blocks other companies from being competition.
2) Forces other companies to play catch up.

2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 10:57
It’s getting worse my grandmother once told me about these American conspiracies, where is Elvis playing tonight ....

If your on Facebook never mention your working because there will be a dozen criminals around your house ransacking it . It’s so funny ..

Some of us don't do Facebook for a very good reason.  Massive open pit mine full of data, actively being mined.  Along with having worked on computer system which could easily do such data mining long before people knew it possible, and long before Facebook (FaceMash ~ 2003) existed.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't understand why you continue the debate if you don't support the Drone ID proposal?  Do you favor it or not?  That being said, you are putting the cart before the horse.  There needs to be a compelling reason for the app to exist & encroach on citizen's privacy & safety.  Zero deaths from a few million drones isn't much of a reason.

I don’t believe in encroaching on anybody’s privacy without their permission, this hasn’t happened, I also don’t see the need for a few to fear monger with scant proof and hope to cause hysteria and saying people will be robbed murdered pillaged gagged , that I’m afraid ends sensible discussion, it’s conspiracy talk headline grabbing etc.
Drone UUID has its merits and in particular for commercial pilots who maybe flying in or near NFZ would now have direct contact with ATC and could receive warning messages as well as clocking and out, which they are compelled to do by phone call now, I also believe this could move along the process of applying to fly in certain NFZ areas.
I don’t believe it should be made compulsory, but personally I have no problems with authorities knowing where I’m flying so long as I have full access to this information, I don’t agree with general public knowing where or when I’m flying, but if something happened and I was blamed in the wrong I could then have the authorities fully back me up as an independent third party.
So yes there are merits to UUID but it should not be available to general public .
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Relax, Just my 2 cts,
We all know when is for oue protection, is good, bu then it turns out they have been dealing with data... data is the new gold.
I like to enjoy life and dont thing about my data, but the truth is, we are all sold with our smartphones, however the way the data is treated is heavily regulated at least in Europe with the new GDPR Since January 2019).
I know this because I make and manage websites for a living and is crazy... the level of measures you need to protect peoples data, so yes I dont think the App in Europe will comply with regulations... regardless of FAA... but again the law in the drone worls is an evolving beast.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 12:51
This is elementary & has always been the case.  Population density, proximity, lower class is concentrated in urban areas, more potential victims.   Likewise more crime occurs in summer than winter.  Inclement weather is a deterrent.

I still believe this is typical fear mongering and there is nothing to base any of the outrageous thinking that goes with it.
I believe there are much more sensible ways of going about this and how it can be sorted for the good of all, to much talk about how we are all going to be targets of criminals before we know exactly how this might play out.
I’ve seen all this before around here, last time we were told dji would capture all our info and flog it to the highest bidder, never happened as well as much more ridiculous theory’s but none came to fruition.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-16 15:04
I will combine my reply to your last two messages into a single response...

You agree with UUID, but you don't support it being compulsory.   You don't find the risk to privacy or safety a legitimate concern or issue  because it "hasn't happened".  More correctly, it hasn't happened yet.  It hasn't happened because Drone ID is not yet available.  Mark my words & remember this post.  If DJI implements this is the way it is described, it will be abused & people will be hurt & possibly killed.  Broadcasting an individual's location to the general public through an app is an invitation to disaster & an open door to one massive piece of litigation the first time an individual is harmed by way of this program.

You fail in everything to admit that the FAA are the ones insisting on implementing this , dji have clearly said they were not going to implement this Until the see impending legislation, so in other words this is clearly coming from America or more general the FAA who have said that all manufacturers will have ti implement drone ID.
This may also come in Europe but not without the say of European people who have protection of GDPR, I’m sure America has its own protection for its citizens.

Regarding the Ukraine and impeachment, yes this side of the world has a completely different view but will wait to see what happens, I can say here you’re  entitled to a fair hearing and when someone tries to intimidate a person because they are giving evidence it doesn’t look good, but I’m sure the truth will out .
2019-11-16
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-14 20:13
This is a TERRIBLE idea that reminds me of what happened in Florida a while back with window barcodes on rental cars.  Thieves quickly picked up on the easy marks... tourists with fat wallets & cars loaded with stuff.  Didn't take long to figure out the criminals used the rental bar codes to tag their marks.

We fly, often secluded & alone in isolated or remote locations, focused on our drone.  DJI decides it's a good idea to broadcast the pilot's location to anyone with a cell phone.  What could possibly go wrong?   Soon there will be groups of thieves zeroing in on unsuspecting pilots, ready to relieve them of their excess baggage, wallets, vehicles, maybe their lives.  Lead straight to their quarry thanks to DJI!  

Couldn’t have said it nearly as well. Thank you sir. This is truly not acceptable. It would require doing the no drone limit hack or giving up on DJI all together.  Imagine an app that showed you were all the Rolex’s where in real time. Never ending with these “marvelous “ ideas.
2019-11-16
Use props
Archangel3356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4655896 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-14 20:13
This is a TERRIBLE idea that reminds me of what happened in Florida a while back with window barcodes on rental cars.  Thieves quickly picked up on the easy marks... tourists with fat wallets & cars loaded with stuff.  Didn't take long to figure out the criminals used the rental bar codes to tag their marks.

We fly, often secluded & alone in isolated or remote locations, focused on our drone.  DJI decides it's a good idea to broadcast the pilot's location to anyone with a cell phone.  What could possibly go wrong?   Soon there will be groups of thieves zeroing in on unsuspecting pilots, ready to relieve them of their excess baggage, wallets, vehicles, maybe their lives.  Lead straight to their quarry thanks to DJI!  

Couldn’t have said it nearly as well. Thank you sir. This is truly not acceptable. It would require doing the no drone limit hack or giving up on DJI all together.  Imagine an app that showed you where all the Rolex’s were in real time. Never ending with these “marvelous “ ideas.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Archangel3356 Posted at 11-16 18:36
Couldn’t have said it nearly as well. Thank you sir. This is truly not acceptable. It would require doing the no drone limit hack or giving up on DJI all together.  Imagine an app that showed you where all the Rolex’s were in real time. Never ending with these “marvelous “ ideas.

You need to realize that it’s not dji implementing the app it’s the FAA yes FAA , dji said they will not release the app until they see legislation, can you believe it an American authority imposing this on Americans .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aviation regulators in many countries are moving to require remote ID systems for drones as a solution to concerns about drone safety and security. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said it will release a mandatory remote ID proposal by the end of this year. The rulemaking process will take more than a year to complete, but an FAA industry committee has urged manufacturers to develop voluntary remote ID systems in the interim. The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) will impose remote ID requirements in July 2020. The app and the associated drone firmware updates used for DJI’s demonstration this week are not yet available for public use, pending further direction from aviation regulators and final publication of the ASTM International
2019-11-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

FAA is pushing for Drone ID, but not necessary for general public to have access too.

Whereas, DJI is pushing for general public to have access.  From DJI's News room:

"As more drones take to the skies every day, remote ID addresses the public’s interest in understanding what’s happening in the airspace,” said Christian Struwe, DJI Policy Director, Europe. “DJI’s drone-to-phone implementation helps accomplish that by allowing drone pilots to broadcast a simple description of their flights, so anyone viewing the smartphone app can understand that they are inspecting a roof, surveying a construction site, or performing another beneficial task with a drone."

2019-11-16
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always put my phone in airplane mode when flying surly that means no one can track the Transmitter location does it not
2019-11-16
Use props
RBI
lvl.4

Philippines

If aviation regulators from the country I use the drone require remote ID systems, I can live with that.
But making the use of drones public is nonsense.
Also any communication of my drones with the manufacturer is for me an intervention in my privacy.
2019-11-16
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-16 19:45
FAA is pushing for Drone ID, but not necessary for general public to have access too.

Whereas, DJI is pushing for general public to have access.  From DJI's News room:
That's the time when I stop using DJI products. Its fine for RELEVANT authorities ie. local airports etc to have such information but no way should the public have access.

You can see where all this is going. A bit like cigarettes ...
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m kind of amazed at the ridiculous way people choose to put things out on this forum, we’re supposed to read what dji wrote as if they are pushing phone I’d on users, and then it’s posted but the poster forgot to read what he posted.
I’ll quote from dji,  "DJI’s drone-to-phone implementation helps accomplish that by ALLOWING drone pilots to broadcast a simple description of their flights."
Now it doesn’t take a genius to be able to read allowing in that statement it’s clear and the poster even decided to put in very large print and everyone can see the word allowing , I’ll explain what allowing means below for the very few who don’t know.The statement also mentions what commercial pilots are likely to do, and there are plenty of real opportunities withUUID for commercial pilots .

Allow :let (someone) have or do something.

Allowing : give the necessary time or opportunity for.

Now I think it’s more than clear that dji are not forcing anything on anyone, this is been forced on users by the authorities and all manufacturers will be forced to use similar system in their drones.

So maybe it’s time for the hysteria creators to quit their propaganda, get it right or don’t post it .

2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RBI Posted at 11-16 23:57
If aviation regulators from the country I use the drone require remote ID systems, I can live with that.
But making the use of drones public is nonsense.
Also any communication of my drones with the manufacturer is for me an intervention in my privacy.

Don’t think there’s any danger of that, but it may be an option if some want to choose it .
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think this video explains who may be looking to show where and how your flying, and if one watches this video they will learn the truth surrounding UUID and all the scare mongering and those only to quick to lay the blame at the wrong door, I also believe UUID will be something that helps drone users and will encourage new users to this great hobby.
For those worried about authorities giving out their information they should be getting on to the authorities who will be 100% responsible for any information divulged to third parties.

2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Amazing how a few here will ignore the relevant action of condition.

"I’ll quote from dji,  "DJI’s drone-to-phone implementation helps  accomplish that by ALLOWING drone pilots to broadcast a simple  description of their flights."

Nothing in statement says Dis-Allowing by drone pilots terminates all brodcasts of information, such as Pilot ID information.

2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Only a complete idiot who has listened and watched the video would come up with such utter rubbish .
It says ALLOWING

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"so anyone viewing the smartphone  app can understand that they are inspecting a roof, surveying a  construction site, or performing another beneficial task with a drone."

Terrorist #2 -- What are you typing into GO-4?
Terrorist #1 -- Message telling them what our flight is about.
Terrorist #2 -- Are you crazy, you will tip everyone off!
Terrorist #1 -- Stop with Fearmongering.  Read what it says.
Terrorist #2 -- "Looking for lost puppy".

Same message would work for Peeping Toms or Robbers looking for places to target.

Devious people will put whatever they want to transmit to fool others.  And devious people will find ways to falsefiy Pilot Registration Info or fake Pilot ID.
Going back to phallacy of assuming Criminals respect and obey Laws.  Same people who believe Criminals respect Laws; push notion that Punishment of Criminals do not deter Criminals.   What's point in more Regulations and Laws?

Being non-criminals (good drone Pilots) are not the problem; What is point in broadcasting Pilot information and optionally pilot's purpose of flight?

2019-11-17
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So 2 weeks ago Google bought Fitbit. They also introduced that they were going into the insurance business.  Now Google knows everything about those customers, right down to whether they did take that walk they said they have been saying they take..

Privacy, especially in the USAis a thing of the past.
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems the crew who spend all their time on this forum creating hysteria have just discovered the horse they backed came in last again, this discussion which in the main pointed the finger at dji was just complete clap trap made up with little or no savvy their next step is to print their posts in large font, maybe as a direct result of nobody listening to them, because they talk tripe.
A lot of energy spent here on this forum wasted when if they had any convictions they should take their arguments to the FAA.

At the end of the day this UUID was produced at the behest of the authorities and it’s implementation will be made law or rules by aviation authorities, and although the hysteria crew would like you to believe this was all down to dji, they were completely wrong, so I just wonder how many more idiotic large size font posts we will get from the spoilt child .
2019-11-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 09:30
It seems the crew who spend all their time on this forum creating hysteria have just discovered the horse they backed came in last again, this discussion which in the main pointed the finger at dji was just complete clap trap made up with little or no savvy their next step is to print their posts in large font, maybe as a direct result of nobody listening to them, because they talk tripe.
A lot of energy spent here on this forum wasted when if they had any convictions they should take their arguments to the FAA.

Don't know how many more but yours would certainly qualify as one
2019-11-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't understand why you continue the debate if you don't support the Drone ID proposal?  Do you favor it or not?  That being said, you are putting the cart before the horse.  There needs to be a compelling reason for the app to exist & encroach on citizen's privacy & safety.  Zero deaths from a few million drones isn't much of a reason.

I totally agree with you but I hate your hat
2019-11-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 11-17 09:24
So 2 weeks ago Google bought Fitbit. They also introduced that they were going into the insurance business.  Now Google knows everything about those customers, right down to whether they did take that walk they said they have been saying they take..

Privacy, especially in the USAis a thing of the past.

It is interesting that one of the great concerns about drone users was that they would intrude upon peoples privacy...….. Now it would seem it is our privacy that is being intruded upon....
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-17 10:09
Don't know how many more but yours would certainly qualify as one

Well if telling the truth as opposed to making up stuff is what your getting at, I’m guilty. That would mean making up stuff is what you're  all about .
2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Few things need to be asked...

1) DJI has never been forthcoming with what information is in our flight logs - Why should we trust DJI with what is going to be Broadcast for DJI's ID APP to capture?

2) Will DJI open-up and answer questions about everything that is going to be Broadcast?  

3) In future updates - Will DJI keep us apprised of any changes or additions as to what is Broadcast?

4) Unlike DJI's past secrecy and ignoring of legitimate questions on their drones - Will DJI provide a template detailing information being Broadcast?

5) Being DJI is Broadcast information and providing general public with ID App, Is DJI taking steps with their Broadcasts to ensure Pilots privacy, safety, and security?

2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 10:23
Well if telling the truth as opposed to making up stuff is what your getting at, I’m guilty. That would mean making up stuff is what you're  all about .

Said by guy who was caught and admitted to using Fake account(s) to:
1) Up vote his own posts
2) Vote more than once in poles
3) Positively comment on his own posts
4) Disparage others posts
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think we have now arrived at the sour grapes end of things, right off topic as usual, I think poster should retreat to the FAA forum, or do they offer freedom of speech .
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here he goes again got his ass handed to him again and this is all he can come up with, maybe time to call in mummy .

Go get a life you fool .
2019-11-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-17 10:19
It is interesting that one of the great concerns about drone users was that they would intrude upon peoples privacy...….. Now it would seem it is our privacy that is being intruded upon....

one reason i stick with Apple as well as avoid facebook.   we have a right to privacy, but we also have equal right to give that privacy up if we desire.       we have a choice and that's what matters..
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-17 17:04
Here is Mad RC's take on it.   The bottom line is it won't be voluntary or it would be rather pointless.   Anyone planning something outside the box would simply turn it off!  To deny this reality is be dishonest or naive.

Look this whole thread was more about dji imposing this on users, all that was rubbish complete rubbish, and I posted the video that clearly shows who’s trying to implement this, in the video dji themselves clearly say that the authorities are looking to have this available to general public, so instead of people continually trying to cause hysteria about dji imposing this on users, what happens is what happened on this thread, it was all about dji, instead of being about authorities trying to impose this on users, I tried to explain this for 4 pages only to be met with the lunatics running the asylum.

I have no problem discussing the the substantial part of this UUID but when so many falsely try to turn it into us against dji, then it becomes farcical , as somebody who is a member of the Irish society for drones,  UAAI we will put our views to EASA on this matter as soon as the introduce an open window to reply to this coming into their rules, I suggest Americans take the advice and do the same here with the FAA, complaining on this forum is fine or trying to gather a lobby great but trying to turn the discussion into something it’s not helps no one.
Everyone knows it will come, but in what shape has not being decided yet, but if the right thing is not done then authorities get a free run .
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-17 17:24
"Allow"?  Read your own post.

"Regulators will REQUIRE Remote ID..."

Love the joke , I got one for you to .
2019-11-17
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

What I find appalling is that we as a community of, what I would like to think, responsible drone pilots and enthusiasts wants to spend time bickering at each other trying to find who is at fault.
I see two main folks to blame.
Air space regulators for causing all the hoopla to begin with and DJI for folding in to their mostly petty demands. Whether it’s the FAA from where I’m from or whatever governing body. Unless we stand together, this is what we will have to look forward too. I don’t think there is a single post that I’ve read here that says they want their privacy invaded by any means. If we are flying legally, it shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think anyway. But me griping at the FAA by myself, that isn’t going to get anything accomplished.
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You obviously didn’t read what I posted, that post was just a line copied from dji statement,
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You obviously didn’t read what I posted, that post was just a line copied from dji statement,
2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 17:50
Love the joke , I got one for you to .[view_image]

hallmark007 accusing others of what he does

Kettle-Meets-Pot

Kettle-Meets-Pot

2019-11-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-17 17:51
What I find appalling is that we as a community of, what I would like to think, responsible drone pilots and enthusiasts wants to spend time bickering at each other trying to find who is at fault.
I see two main folks to blame.
Air space regulators for causing all the hoopla to begin with and DJI for folding in to their mostly petty demands. Whether it’s the FAA from where I’m from or whatever governing body. Unless we stand together, this is what we will have to look forward too. I don’t think there is a single post that I’ve read here that says they want their privacy invaded by any means. If we are flying legally, it shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think anyway. But me griping at the FAA by myself, that isn’t going to get anything accomplished.

"regulators for causing all the hoopla to begin with and DJI for folding in to their mostly petty demands."

Not sure DJI did any folding.  Possibilty DJI lobbyed air regulators (like our FAA) and government law makers to require Drone / Pilot identification for several reasons.

One reason being, DJI already had the ability.  Requiring nothing more than a few tweaks to meet regulations they were pushing, then push firmware out door.  File it under good PR.

Second reason is releated to first.  Ensure DJI's dominace by forcing competitors to play catch-up.

Third reason deals with Pilots who value their privacy.  Pilots like myself, who don't connect (or setup) their drones for uploading of flight data.  DJI's App has potential to capture flight information, and upload to the Cloud.

2019-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-16 13:25
Or we had representatives in our Governments who believed in Freedom instead of grabbing further control and power.  All while exempting themselves from laws and regulations they set forth.

For example: Here in U.S. when Obamacare (Affordable Health Care Act) was before Congress, Congress exempted themselves from Obamacare.  Why?  Because Congress had their own builtin Health Care system, which made Obamacare look like a pathetic joke.

That is true also!
2019-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules