Drone Laws are Flawed
3049 29 2019-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

I find that the current drone laws are oversimplified. Here's my case.

The FAA and many organizations have a blanket approach on drones: they have one law to control all drones from 0.5lbs to 55lbs. To me, this absurd for two reasons.

1. Having the same regulations for a 55lb drone and a 0.5lb drone is completely ridiculous. The damage potential of the two pieces of equipment is immensely different. A 0.5lb Mavic Mini will not cause catastrophic damage to anything. A 55lb drone traveling upwards of 30mph will take out a person and cause significant damage to anything. Not to mention that they put out different amounts of sound and result in way different levels of disturbance (important for national parks). National parks quote that the sound of drones will disturb the environment and people. Sure they will if they're 55lbs. But 0.5lb Mavic Mini? Give me a break. Lightning is more disturbing than that. Even the rain is.

2. Some drones have excellent GPS position, sensors, and technology that assist the pilot in being safer. Some drones do not and depend entirely on the pilot (FPV). How can you say that all these drones are the same when DJI Drones are stable and do not fall out of the sky, even when the battery goes down to zero (the drone lands safely). Homemade drones might do so because they don't have the same computer chips, etc.

An example of this. Imagine the Spark and a homemade gasoline-powered helicopter. The spark weighs just over 0.5lbs while the model gas-powered helicopter weighs around 30lbs. The spark has sensors, frontal obstacle avoidance, and GPS. It's extremely small and is battery powered. The model helicopter is gas-powered, has no sensors or GPS and is at the mercy of the pilot. Why would these two pieces of equipment be regulated in the same way?

Final point. Many places quote "privacy reasons" when they don't permit drones or UAVS with cameras. I see this as an excuse to not allow them. I'm trying to use the Mavic mini as an extension of my phone and as a glorified selfie camera at times. Why is this a privacy issue? Before phones were a thing, no one could film events that they attended. But now, they can. Phones record events and random strangers and places without any issue. Drones are basically doing the same thing but from a different angle. Why would this be a privacy issue?

I'm just frustrated that regulations haven't caught up to where technology is at. Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Feel free to share them below.

2019-11-15
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

fair enough
2019-11-18
Use props
Niemand
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38586 ft
United States

I agree that the regulations/laws are not appropriate for flying in the USA.  However, there's so much new ground to consider from invasion of privacy to new threats to the public by what a drone may be carrying.   Just to be clear, I can only speak about the laws in the USA I've learned.  I'm sure there are still some laws I haven't.  It is unreal what they expect a drone pilot to know, when it's really only about aircraft pilots.  
However, the 248g weight of the Mavic Mini (0.548951ib) falls below the requirements of all USA Regulations (FAA) other than its registration.  I wouldn't be surprised if that law changed to include this drone though.
2019-11-19
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Niemand Posted at 11-19 12:48
I agree that the regulations/laws are not appropriate for flying in the USA.  However, there's so much new ground to consider from invasion of privacy to new threats to the public by what a drone may be carrying.   Just to be clear, I can only speak about the laws in the USA I've learned.  I'm sure there are still some laws I haven't.  It is unreal what they expect a drone pilot to know, when it's really only about aircraft pilots.  
However, the 248g weight of the Mavic Mini (0.548951ib) falls below the requirements of all USA Regulations (FAA) other than its registration.  I wouldn't be surprised if that law changed to include this drone though.

I think you meant the opposite. You have to follow all regulations but you don't have to register. It's like saying that you have to ask the FAA to fly in your house if you live within 5 miles of an airport.
2019-11-19
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Niemand Posted at 11-19 12:48
I agree that the regulations/laws are not appropriate for flying in the USA.  However, there's so much new ground to consider from invasion of privacy to new threats to the public by what a drone may be carrying.   Just to be clear, I can only speak about the laws in the USA I've learned.  I'm sure there are still some laws I haven't.  It is unreal what they expect a drone pilot to know, when it's really only about aircraft pilots.  

I think you meant the opposite. You have to follow all regulations but you don't have to register. It's like saying that you have to ask the FAA to fly in your house if you live within 5 miles of an airport.
2019-11-19
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

The problem with laws is that they must be valid for all people, things and situations so they are not really appropriate for nobody.
Should it consider all situations and all characteristics for each drone and for all location it would be impossible to use.
So all laws should be a compromise for all good and bad things that might happen but should leave place for reasonable adjustment at specific situations.
In reality usually they not.
2019-11-25
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

andy10 Posted at 11-25 09:27
The problem with laws is that they must be valid for all people, things and situations so they are not really appropriate for nobody.
Should it consider all situations and all characteristics for each drone and for all location it would be impossible to use.
So all laws should be a compromise for all good and bad things that might happen but should leave place for reasonable adjustment at specific situations.

I agree, but I feel like the range is far too great. They could have laws for drones up to 250g and laws for drones from 250g to 55lbs. They've already made a distinction with requiring registration so it wouldn't be that confusing.
2019-11-25
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

ICDroneSE Posted at 11-25 11:06
I agree, but I feel like the range is far too great. They could have laws for drones up to 250g and laws for drones from 250g to 55lbs. They've already made a distinction with requiring registration so it wouldn't be that confusing.

With the Mavic Pro at something like 750g, I'd like to see it in the lower range rather than the heavyweight division.
2019-12-3
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Dorset_Horn Posted at 12-3 05:36
With the Mavic Pro at something like 750g, I'd like to see it in the lower range rather than the heavyweight division.

I agree! It also dawned on me that lawmakers are taking a conservative approach on drone laws until they truly know what they're dealing with.

A crude example I thought of was mechanical pencils. As a college student, I remember that around 8/9 years ago, all teachers were afraid of mechanical pencils as if they could help you cheat, etc. Now, nearly all teachers are fine with students using mechanical pencils.

I hope the FAA and others soon realize that blanketing all drones under the same laws is flawed.
2019-12-3
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

"I hope the FAA and others soon realize that having blanketing all drones under the same laws is flawed."

Well said!
2019-12-3
Use props
Roy Rogers
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-3 09:54
I agree! It also dawned on me that lawmakers are taking a conservative approach on drone laws until they truly know what they're dealing with.

A crude example I thought of was mechanical pencils. As a college student, I remember that around 8/9 years ago, all teachers were afraid of mechanical pencils as if they could help you cheat, etc. Now, nearly all teachers are fine with students using mechanical pencils.

I think you make very good and valid points . Hoping the college your referring to is a law school and then you could help make changes that are right as well as fair .
Go to Faa site and ask questions and make recommendations .
Thanks for posting  this topic  
2019-12-5
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Roy Rogers Posted at 12-5 16:55
I think you make very good and valid points . Hoping the college your referring to is a law school and then you could help make changes that are right as well as fair .
Go to Faa site and ask questions and make recommendations .
Thanks for posting  this topic

Thanks! I'll look into that site for suggestions and questions!

I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering but plan on taking propulsion and aerodynamics classes to work in the aerospace/astronautical industries!

I get really passionate about these topics and make a strong argument though!
2019-12-5
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

I definitely agree that drone laws are poorly written, and that the people who write them are pretty much clueless when it comes to UAVs. I roll my eyes particularly hard at people who get worked up over privacy concerns - considering wide angel cameras, the noise they generate, etc.  it would be difficult indeed to spy on someone without their knowing.
I can more easily understand banning them in parks, but as far as I'm concerned the only issue there is noise. Even the insiginifcant sound of a drone is an intrusion into the natural soundscape, though I suppose it's nowhere near as annoying as a single motorcycle with a giant roaring engine. Regardless, once drones are capable of operating practically silently I see no reason not to allow them in parks, and even wildereness areas.

One particularly irritating restriction is the way no fly zones and restricted areas extend all the way down to the ground, when in reality there would be zero danger in a drone flying up to the top tree/building height. Similarly, prohibitions on flying Beyond line of sight are ridulous, as flying a drone by camera view along offers a comparable field of view to that utilized by an airplane pilot.

It really frustrates me to see knee-jerk reactions closing off so many places to drones, or placing strange and arbitrary restrictions on them, when there is so little reason to do so.
2019-12-7
Use props
pelin24reed
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

that's great... highly appreciated.
thank you
Pelin Reed
Manager at Volkswagen Repair Dubai Center
2019-12-7
Use props
JMDSomme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35446 ft
France

Hi
Viewed from France things seems strange about législation in the world.
In my country we have a really complex législation (french love complexity in administration...) with differences dependinf of weight, and use (proffessionnal or private, and places (urban zones, airplanes trafic  etc...) never fly over people etc etc... Like for you, privacy is a big and unexplicable point (as told about phones caméra).

What surprise me, lookin beautifull videos coming from around the world is that many are made in town, around plublic monuments, by night: all of this is impossible in France.
Could you confirm: i USA you are alowed to fly in town over populations, even by night ?
Friendly.
Jean-Marc
2019-12-7
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

JMDSomme Posted at 12-7 11:21
Hi
Viewed from France things seems strange about législation in the world.
In my country we have a really complex législation (french love complexity in administration...) with differences dependinf of weight, and use (proffessionnal or private, and places (urban zones, airplanes trafic  etc...) never fly over people etc etc... Like for you, privacy is a big and unexplicable point (as told about phones caméra).

You're technically not allowed to do so, along with many other things. Which is why the laws are somewhat broken, imo.
2019-12-7
Use props
JMDSomme
lvl.2
France

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-7 14:16
You're technically not allowed to do so, along with many other things. Which is why the laws are somewhat broken, imo.

Oh!
And when publishing urban videos, you don't fear to have some problems (police, justice ?).

In France if i publish this type of média, i am sure to have great problems... a young man made (a few years ago) a splendid vidéo of the city of Nancy... and have been called in justice very quicly.

Thank's ICDroneSE for your response.
That shows that freedom is regressing everywhere. Not a good new.
2019-12-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Where can we sign?
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Illuminations Posted at 12-7 00:37
I definitely agree that drone laws are poorly written, and that the people who write them are pretty much clueless when it comes to UAVs. I roll my eyes particularly hard at people who get worked up over privacy concerns - considering wide angel cameras, the noise they generate, etc.  it would be difficult indeed to spy on someone without their knowing.
I can more easily understand banning them in parks, but as far as I'm concerned the only issue there is noise. Even the insiginifcant sound of a drone is an intrusion into the natural soundscape, though I suppose it's nowhere near as annoying as a single motorcycle with a giant roaring engine. Regardless, once drones are capable of operating practically silently I see no reason not to allow them in parks, and even wildereness areas.

Yeah. I completely agree. I would be happy if they made it slightly more difficult for people to operate drones (pass a knowledge test, etc.) if they loosened the restrictions on drone pilots and trusted us to fly safely.
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

JMDSomme Posted at 12-8 00:51
Oh!
And when publishing urban videos, you don't fear to have some problems (police, justice ?).

It's not as extreme as in France, and I doubt that you'll be arrested or questioned if you post a video (as many people do in the states and its more lenient in that sense), but lots of locations are already putting rangers and officers to prevent people from flying drones.
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 12-8 09:38
Where can we sign?

A petition? I'll make one ASAP... got to finish up college finals first
2019-12-8
Use props
JMDSomme
lvl.2
France

Thank's everybody, now i have an idea about how things goes in the USA.
2019-12-11
Use props
Andy in NH
lvl.1
United States

New here and new drone operator but recognize the concerns.  One question I would have is how many here have held (or hold) a private pilots's license or above?  The rule making is monstrously cumbersome and reading them was the most effective cure for insomnia I have ever come across.  That said, operating without respect for others is just digging a grave in my opinion. Lastly - yeah you could film and photograph people long before mobiles came about - just showing your youth there.
2019-12-17
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Andy in NH Posted at 12-17 08:10
New here and new drone operator but recognize the concerns.  One question I would have is how many here have held (or hold) a private pilots's license or above?  The rule making is monstrously cumbersome and reading them was the most effective cure for insomnia I have ever come across.  That said, operating without respect for others is just digging a grave in my opinion. Lastly - yeah you could film and photograph people long before mobiles came about - just showing your youth there.

Thanks for the reply! as for the thing about phones, I guess I meant... in a really convenient manner. When you go to concerts nowadays, everyone sticks their phone up in the air and records. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that everyone carried a dedicated camera to every event they went to before?
2019-12-21
Use props
jadarius
lvl.2

Algeria

Where is this petition, I want to sign it too.
2019-12-23
Use props
jadarius
lvl.2

Algeria

2020-1-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

jadarius Posted at 1-8 11:39

https://www.ucbrowser.vip/ https://shareit.onl/ https://mxplayer.pro/

Sorry, I haven't made it yet, been busy with college!
2020-1-9
Use props
JMynes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228012 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 1-9 19:32
Sorry, I haven't made it yet, been busy with college!

Drop out and get it done!
2020-1-11
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Petition made! Sign here! http://chng.it/mqFpGtmY5Z
2020-1-29
Use props
zebios
lvl.1