Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Mavic Mini has problems
1234567Next >
46757 269 2019-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

So far, my Mavic Mini experience hasn't gone so well.  
1. At least 50% of my video is completely unusable due to shaky footage.  I think the Mini I got just is a dud, so I'm returning it to get a new one.
2. Secondly, had a crazy fly away where it lost its mind for several seconds and hit 65.8mph before it recovered itself.
3. Aircraft power insufficient messages all of the time.  It seems to continue working fine, but a confidence killer when flying over a river (etc).
4. Connection signal will show full bars, but will get breakup and pauses in the signal (pretty standard for all Wifi base drones)

It is the first 2 items that are the main reason I'm returning mine back to BB and getting a new one.  Hopefully the new one won't have the same #1 & #2 issues.  Pretty sure #3 & #4 will still be there in almost all the Mavic Mini's.  Hopefully with a firmware update, they can fix #3.

2019-11-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi KlooGee, we are so sorry to hear about the problems that you encountered. Could you please help to provide the below information? We'd like to forward it to our engineers for analysis. Thank you in advance.
1. The serial number of your drone.
2. The original videos from the drone.
3. Flight logs under DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic (https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads) -- Log Export--Save to local. Please upload to Google Drive or Dropbox and then post the link here.

At the same time, please make sure the operating temperature range is: 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F).

Should there any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

2019-11-17
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

You might want to look at the 'Fly Away' thread where a guy had the frantic fly away but lost his drone. It's no longer an isolated case so that may up the priority.
2019-11-15
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

this is not good news reading about the USA model having WIFI issues at close range, guessing the EU one will suck
2019-11-15
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you check the rubbers of the gimbal maybe some are stuck or not correctly placed. I remember such an issue with thw mavic.
Also flying in city could haywire the wifi , maybe a lot of wifi( interference?)
2019-11-15
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing info.

It would be great if you can keep us posted.

Very worrying when my spark has been rock solid for 2 yrs or so.

Just one thought, I've only used crystal sky on the spark, but now have to use cell phone for the mini.

Is there any chance of interference, and should you use airaplane     mode for flying?
2019-11-15
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Oh my goodness, how scary. I am impressed that it can actually reach that speed though.
2019-11-16
Use props
paulsusnet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

What does this mean?

It replaces the Aircraft Orientation display, so I'm guessing it's something to do with that.

I see it briefly when I was flying tonight, it come up while pointing the camera to the ground about 150ft in the air. As far as I'm aware the drone was stable and nothing crazy happened, no other errors on the screen.
2019-11-16
Use props
nerkaid
lvl.1
Spain

Your unit have some problems. It's clear when the position diagram is not showing correct and the app is constantly showing errors in the display.

Apart, what mode did you use for the gimball? Seems you have set it to "Follow" instead of "FPV".
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Definitely a confidence killer.
The temperature could be an issue for sure, but also like some mention the vibration of the gimbal could be caused by the rubber at the sides causing it to sake and overheat or malfunction, in electronics a faulty connection  vibrating or going on and off rapidly is asking for trouble... hopefully it´´s just a faulty unit.
Keep us informed on the new one!
2019-11-16
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Sad to hear that Good luck with the next one and please keep us posted.

Ps: Looks like you have quite a bit of vibration/jello even when the Mini is simply hovering. Since you did not have it all the time, any chance the gimbal mounts are stiffening due to low temperatures? (I wouldn't know, I never flew in the cold; so just thinking aloud)
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That looked pretty sh#t, I’m out this afternoon to test mine, I had tried first flight yesterday but it was very late and a little windy, did get insufficent power, I think this might be a warning that you are in windy conditions and you need to put on more power to get aircraft going forward, could be wrong but there is a lack of high wind warning so my thinking was insufficient power may have replaced this we’ll see .
Hopefully you get sorted soon I’ll let you know how I get on .
2019-11-16
Use props
GarethDPhillips
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79816 ft
United Kingdom

I saw your YouTube post this morning, following my very fist (and only) flight. Weather is foul here in the UK at the moment. Also concerned as my little spark was always rock solid. WiFi range / performance seemed slightly worse than the spark (which was rubbish in the EU anyhow). I also had the video shake. Not all the time, but seemingly when it was up at any kind of height. Hoping this could be resolved with firmware updates? If its a hardware fault, it could be very widespread?
Excuse the miserable weather, and miserable construction going on behind the house !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBnDWB_yQPg
2019-11-16
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I notice the white semicircle around the  position/ homeppint indicator goes to red broken line when the camera points down, or maybe too close to something. Not sure if its when in atti mode as well.
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

GarethDPhillips Posted at 11-16 03:48
I saw your YouTube post this morning, following my very fist (and only) flight. Weather is foul here in the UK at the moment. Also concerned as my little spark was always rock solid. WiFi range / performance seemed slightly worse than the spark (which was rubbish in the EU anyhow). I also had the video shake. Not all the time, but seemingly when it was up at any kind of height. Hoping this could be resolved with firmware updates? If its a hardware fault, it could be very widespread?
Excuse the miserable weather, and miserable construction going on behind the house !

How windy it was? Noticed the shaky footage I wonder like if for others is the gimbal not being properly isolated.
Anyway thanks for video!, it looked risky that muddy field, well done.
2019-11-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronie1965 Posted at 11-15 23:52
Did you check the rubbers of the gimbal maybe some are stuck or not correctly placed. I remember such an issue with thw mavic.
Also flying in city could haywire the wifi , maybe a lot of wifi( interference?)

The rubber bands look fine to me.  It was a horrible design in the MP to use rubber bands, and now it’s still a bad design 3 years later to use them. I’m sure they are light weight though!
2019-11-16
Use props
Tim1985
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32641 ft
United States

Claim a return repair from DJI. I've got almost 10 flights so far and no issues. This Mini has worked better then my spark ever has. I'm impressed at how much is packed under 250 grams.  
2019-11-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Tim1985 Posted at 11-16 05:06
Claim a return repair from DJI. I've got almost 10 flights so far and no issues. This Mini has worked better then my spark ever has. I'm impressed at how much is packed under 250 grams.

ya a DOA claim and not a Care claim.
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I saw a thread where someone talked about the insufficient power. I can't remember verbatim what was said, but one of the DJI mods said that was something they were working on in upcoming FW releases. I know that doesn't do anything for confidence now. I'm sorry that you have experienced these things and I hope it isn't more of a global issue to everyone.
2019-11-16
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thw question is what is the theoretical top speed.
Hovering in a 30 mph wing will require flying at 30 mph. If that's the top speed then no forward flight is possible.
To fly downwind in 30 mph wind at 10 mph will require the drone to be  flying backwards at 20 mph.

All depends on  dji's parameters, since flying downwind at 30  would bring the( ground speed) to 60 mph, unless it's checked.
2019-11-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 11-15 23:58
Thanks for sharing info.

It would be great if you can keep us posted.

On the Spark and Air, I never noticed any difference when using airplane mode on my phone. But I may give it a try next time I’m out with the Mini to see if I notice any differences.
2019-11-16
Use props
Dtraveler63
New
United States

Have you had or heard of anyone having problems with the RTH function? Mine does work at all. I only get the option to auto land.
2019-11-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 03:13
That looked pretty sh#t, I’m out this afternoon to test mine, I had tried first flight yesterday but it was very late and a little windy, did get insufficent power, I think this might be a warning that you are in windy conditions and you need to put on more power to get aircraft going forward, could be wrong but there is a lack of high wind warning so my thinking was insufficient power may have replaced this we’ll see .
Hopefully you get sorted soon I’ll let you know how I get on .

Yep, not happy with this one. Hopefully yours is better!
2019-11-16
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 11-16 05:09
ya a DOA claim and not a Care claim.

Yeah that one is just a bad unit. What a drag!
Mine is flying great. I only experienced #4 where the image sent back to the controller/iPad mini 4 stuttered at 3/4 of a mile at 100’ AGL. In all fairness I was surrounded by telephone poles and densely packed beach town buildings. The video came out fantastic though, in my amateur opinion
Good luck and thanks for sharing.
2019-11-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 11-16 03:31
Dude i must say something and i don't know you but here goes:

You need to hit the gym and get back to the weight you were at. You look like you gained 60 lbs. Please take better care of yourself please.

Thanks Bob!  I appreciate you bringing this to my attention!  I hadn’t noticed and hadn’t thought about that!  You just saved my life!  

In appreciation, I’ve got a book recommendation.  Check it out, I think you’ll enjoy chapter 6!

https://amzn.to/2XiOS4J
2019-11-16
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-16 05:09
I saw a thread where someone talked about the insufficient power. I can't remember verbatim what was said, but one of the DJI mods said that was something they were working on in upcoming FW releases. I know that doesn't do anything for confidence now. I'm sorry that you have experienced these things and I hope it isn't more of a global issue to everyone.

Yeah, I would be surprised if it’s not something they are working to fine tune in the next update!  Thanks for sharing!
2019-11-16
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

KlooGee Posted at 11-16 06:06
Thanks Bob!  I appreciate you bringing this to my attention!  I hadn’t noticed and hadn’t thought about that!  You just saved my life!  

In appreciation, I’ve got a book recommendation.  Check it out, I think you’ll enjoy chapter 6!
Lol. Excellent response to the troll! Love it. Some people don’t know when to shut up. Well done KlooGee!
2019-11-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

LEMONS do get out!
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-16 06:10
Yeah, I would be surprised if it’s not something they are working to fine tune in the next update!  Thanks for sharing!

No problem KlooGee. If you get her swapped, keep us updated as to if the replacement does better. Hope to hear "I love my mini" in the update!!
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mine has been pretty good, got a very mild day for flying, no jello with 2.7k 25fps,
Jello or Rolling shutter is usually caused by wrong FPS NTSC as opposed to PAL, so try a different FPS setting, also check ghz you are using, other cause can be dampeners but looking at your video I don’t think this is the problem.
If it works ok with other FPS setting doesn’t mean you don’t have some problem.

Looking at insufficient power, testing it today, for me it only comes flying into wind so I’m thinking it’s more a warning to operator to give it more power, could be wrong, nothing in manual or anywhere else so I’m presuming dji will give out a gold coin to whomever figures it out first lol
2019-11-16
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is coming Monday I hope mine is not a lemon. When I got my original Mavic Pro it came with a broken gimble. It was a pre-order and took a while to replace. Seams like they may not be doing a great job at quality control inspections.
2019-11-16
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

KlooGee, I watched the video and I would agree that I think your particular drone has issues.

Do you think temps might be playing into this? The operating temp for the mini is above 32. It looks like you were at 17 and with it that windy I imagine with windchill it was a lot lower. What was temp with windchill? Did you have these issues early in flights?

2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like your mavic mini had a reversed IMU/Compass glitch. Given that symbol on the bottom of the app where red icon and red dotted lines, that to me says something is wrong but unclear what the hell that means.  My guess is though that during that moment it goes red on that icon the IMU/Compass flipped around.

Someone had same exact issue with Mavic 2 pro not long ago and on current firmware (.510).  Random guy on YouTube and everything was normal then all sudden the compass and/or IMU flipped backwards for seemingly no reason. Then when was a bit of wind it didn’t know what direction the wind was blowing so it leaned instead of against it it leaned with it and kept fighting what it felt was insane wind storm but in reality it was taking off at 90 MPH because it wasn’t fighting the wind it was flying with it.    It was thinking the wind was coming from the right side of the drone so leans to right really hard but in reality the wind was blowing from the left.   
2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Additionally to add to my post, his mavic 2 just like your mavic mini suddenly recovered itself.. he used return to home function which is a usually a big no no when giving such issues but it pulled him out of that out of control state luckily.  

Just FYI to any new pilots, if your drone if out of control and/or malfunctioning in such a way, your shouldn’t use return to home functionality.  You shouldn’t trust your hardware while it is out of control and should instead attempt to manually fly it back or land it safely.  Using RTH functionality while it is out of control and hardware having no idea where it is facing or doing could result in your drone flying away and/or crashing to it’s death.  The mavic mini seems like it may not even be ready for prime time yet sadly.  

Anyway,   Saddest part is When he had DJI examine the logs they determined that he was flying in extreme winds.  But wind wasn’t strong at all, his video the wind wasn’t even barely moving tops of the trees.
2019-11-16
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

GarethDPhillips Posted at 11-16 03:48
I saw your YouTube post this morning, following my very fist (and only) flight. Weather is foul here in the UK at the moment. Also concerned as my little spark was always rock solid. WiFi range / performance seemed slightly worse than the spark (which was rubbish in the EU anyhow). I also had the video shake. Not all the time, but seemingly when it was up at any kind of height. Hoping this could be resolved with firmware updates? If its a hardware fault, it could be very widespread?
Excuse the miserable weather, and miserable construction going on behind the house !

Hope you don't mind me saying but your footage looks quite shakey too, but not as bad as Kloogee's.

Edit: I notice you have already acknowledged the shaking. I'm in UK too and have not had a chance to fly my mini yet, due to the wet weather.
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4

Spain

That was epic I have to say lol
2019-11-16
Use props
M1 97103
lvl.1
Flight distance : 849925 ft
  • >>>
United States

When my mini arrived it would not let me do anything untill I upgraded the software.  I disconnects way to much and is impossable to fly very low to the ground.
Control and stabiliity seems to be best on the apple iphone, Motorola  V3 will not stay connected. and the two samsungs seem a bit unstable.  
WiFi is not good on any of them.
Would not waist the money
2019-11-16
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 11-16 08:03
It looks like your mavic mini had a reversed IMU/Compass glitch. Given that symbol on the bottom of the app where red icon and red dotted lines, that to me says something is wrong but unclear what the hell that means.  My guess is though that during that moment it goes red on that icon the IMU/Compass flipped around.

Someone had same exact issue with Mavic 2 pro not long ago and on current firmware (.510).  Random guy on YouTube and everything was normal then all sudden the compass and/or IMU flipped backwards for seemingly no reason. Then when was a bit of wind it didn’t know what direction the wind was blowing so it leaned instead of against it it leaned with it and kept fighting what it felt was insane wind storm but in reality it was taking off at 90 MPH because it wasn’t fighting the wind it was flying with it.    It was thinking the wind was coming from the right side of the drone so leans to right really hard but in reality the wind was blowing from the left.

That makes a lot of sense and would also account for the speed being double the mini's maximum, i.e. 30mph gust + 30 mph top speed. You could see the mini was slammed by something and a 30 mph wind isn't far off the weather reports of 'gusting 22 mph'.

I think you scored a direct hit.
2019-11-16
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

Complete segue, anybody that can quote Jordan Peterson gets my vote, even though the media try and make him out to be some kind of Obergruppenstormtrooperfuhrer. He talks a lot of sense for a Canadian - not that I'm implying Canadians are dumb, far from it I'm one myself, but we do tend to be a bit PC. JP is a refreshing change.
2019-11-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-16 06:10

It's a lemon but then again, that's what happens when you cancel your order and get it from someplace else. Karma
2019-11-16
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
United States

I thought as much
2019-11-16
Use props
1234567Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules