What Mavic Mini is doing when signal is lost?
19916 37 2019-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Undzzz
lvl.1
Latvia

I have seen there there are few options, like RTH, landing and just waiting. But I do not have anything i my app. What my mavic mini will do when signal will be lost?

4e1966a2-409d-45b4-8ff6-30741bd71a3f.jpg
2019-11-16
Use props
nerkaid
lvl.1
Spain

After 11 seconds of signal loss it will go back to the RTH if the compass work fine and the RTH point is set. If not, it will try to autolanding I think.
2019-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Soon a lot of users that don't pay attention will find out.
Not so much room for errors as with the Pro drones.
2019-11-16
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Today I flew low over some woods until it lost signal at around 700 metres.  After 20 seconds it reconnected on its way back to me under standard return to home....
2019-11-16
Use props
Mavic_South_Oz
lvl.2
Australia

Mavic Pilots forum users reported a consensus of IOS users only having loss of signal RTH option.
Android devices have RTH, hover, or land, like larger drones with Go4.

It's be good to have this for the mini, as people will fly it in tight places I'm sure.
RTH is not a safe option in many circumstances.

The options have also disappeared for me with IOS and my Spark.
My M1P still has the 3 options.
2019-11-17
Use props
miniger
lvl.2
Germany

....Mavic Pilots forum users reported a consensus of IOS users only having loss of signal RTH option

Here as well. iOS dosn´t offer these options or hides them well.

Since I ve got sometimes good GPS indoors, I wonder what happens in flight, when RTH activates (accidentally) and the Mini tries to reach the 15m :-(
2019-11-17
Use props
fansbf782ebd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Italy

I just lost my drone. I was executing a cineshot (circle) and half way the signal got lost and then the mini crashed into the monument I was filming and then went straight into the water. 2 days of usage and its gone!!!!
2019-12-26
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansbf782ebd Posted at 12-26 02:21
I just lost my drone. I was executing a cineshot (circle) and half way the signal got lost and then the mini crashed into the monument I was filming and then went straight into the water. 2 days of usage and its gone!!!!

Wow, I really hate to hear that.... Any idea what caused your signal loss experience?
2019-12-26
Use props
chileanbyone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

I am afraid of flying mine now
2019-12-26
Use props
Dronehiker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71237 ft
Portugal

chileanbyone Posted at 12-26 08:45
I am afraid of flying mine now

Well I am flying mine for 2 weeks, don't care too much about it, lost signal around 2000 meters, close to a castle, it got back, lost signal around 600 meters in the city, got back, lost signal behind some trees, got back, the damn thing always gets back even with some windy conditions. I crashed it already 5 times on bushes, a tree, some walls and it still works properly. So all in all and although I can't use it to follow me while hiking (this was the first reason I bought it), this mini is a though guy... Perhaps I never got issues because when it's very windy I only fly around 100 meters maximum distance from me, but all in all it's better than I expected, if only it had an active tracking it would be perfect.
2019-12-26
Use props
fansbf782ebd
lvl.1
Portugal

JodyB Posted at 12-26 05:44
Wow, I really hate to hear that.... Any idea what caused your signal loss experience?

Hi Jody, that’s not WoW! I have no clue why there was a signal loss. The circle cineshot got cancelled, the drone went up, crashed into the momument and is now somewhere in the river
Here are some snapshots from the flight data recorder.
21209128-1759-49E4-BD0C-878E9D3FF4AA.png
E0B87ECC-B318-47BE-A278-783EF9B0882C.png
9DC4922F-2E05-42D6-BFE6-D08CEBB08BB7.png
2019-12-26
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansbf782ebd Posted at 12-26 10:17
Hi Jody, that’s not WoW! I have no clue why there was a signal loss. The circle cineshot got cancelled, the drone went up, crashed into the momument and is now somewhere in the river

My apologies, when I said wow, it was a reaction of shock, not excitement. Someone loosing their drone is not anything I like to hear. It makes me sad.

Can you upload the flight log using the phantomhelp viewer? I'm sure someone here can help to understand what happened.
2019-12-26
Use props
fansbf782ebd
lvl.1
Portugal

JodyB Posted at 12-26 10:21
My apologies, when I said wow, it was a reaction of shock, not excitement. Someone loosing their drone is not anything I like to hear. It makes me sad.

Can you upload the flight log using the phantomhelp viewer? I'm sure someone here can help to understand what happened.

I am not sure if the DJI Fly app specific for Mini gives the option of downloading the data log. Anyway, for that I need to get back (currently on vacation) home and use iTunes.
Another which I am not able to understand is how the app calculates the radius to execute the circle cineshot. As per the manual/videos on youtube, the cineshot should be executed with constant radius which is not what happened in my case.
2019-12-26
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansbf782ebd Posted at 12-26 10:58
I am not sure if the DJI Fly app specific for Mini gives the option of downloading the data log. Anyway, for that I need to get back (currently on vacation) home and use iTunes.
Another which I am not able to understand is how the app calculates the radius to execute the circle cineshot. As per the manual/videos on youtube, the cineshot should be executed with constant radius which is not what happened in my case.

Your flight logs are actually stored on your phone. But you are on vacation and should be enjoying it or trying to anyway en light of what's happened. Upload them when you get the chance and try to enjoy the remainder of your vacation!!
2019-12-26
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansbf782ebd Posted at 12-26 10:58
I am not sure if the DJI Fly app specific for Mini gives the option of downloading the data log. Anyway, for that I need to get back (currently on vacation) home and use iTunes.
Another which I am not able to understand is how the app calculates the radius to execute the circle cineshot. As per the manual/videos on youtube, the cineshot should be executed with constant radius which is not what happened in my case.

To get your log on an iOS device use the Files app and look here.

under Locations - On my phone/DJI Fly/FlightRecords then hit select and check the record that you want to grab. Next use the box with the up arrow at the bottom of the screen to send the file where you want it to go.
I am sorry for your MM mini mishap.
2019-12-26
Use props
Fernando Ponce
New

United States

I was flying for 5 meters, and then lost the signal and went in to a lake. My first flight
2019-12-27
Use props
chileanbyone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

Fernando Ponce Posted at 12-27 12:29
I was flying for 5 meters, and then lost the signal and went in to a lake. My first flight

Why would you go to the lake first flight?

Have some common sense folks.
2019-12-29
Use props
fans7e8fa8d3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6716 ft
Netherlands

miniger Posted at 2019-11-17 02:02
....Mavic Pilots forum users reported a consensus of IOS users only having loss of signal RTH option

Here as well. iOS dosn´t offer these options or hides them well.

I'm also curious what will happen indoors when RTH kicks in. Will it first try to go to the minimum of 15 meters and hits the ceiling?

Mayby I will test it if no one now's the answer...
2020-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans7e8fa8d3 Posted at 1-7 15:57
I'm also curious what will happen indoors when RTH kicks in. Will it first try to go to the minimum of 15 meters and hits the ceiling?

Mayby I will test it if no one now's the answer...

If it’s within 20 metres of homepoint it will just land if you have set a Rth height and it’s outside 20m it will ascend to that height and Rth if no height is set it will go to default height and Rth . If gps is weak it will land .
2020-1-7
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Costa Rica

fansbf782ebd Posted at 2019-12-26 10:17

What height was your Return-to-Home configured at?  You flew the drone out of sight behind this monument.  That very likely blocked the control signal and triggered a RTH response.

"The Monument to the Discoveries stands 170 Ft (52 m) tall."

Your first image shows the drone coming back in a straight line toward your recorded Home Position and crashing into the monument at a height of 27m.

Image1.jpg
2020-1-8
Use props
Vince1010
New

Canada

I lost my drone in the ocean on a routine RTH.  Controller said to "adjust antennas" and then the screen went black.  Recovered the physical drone (thanks to advice on this thread) but not yet clear of the damage.  Very frustrating since I was flying in clear conditions, line of sight etc.  Faulty software...
2020-4-30
Use props
apollo_80
lvl.1
Flight distance : 604951 ft
Switzerland

I lost connection in December, getting a tower of Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste in Lyon between me and the Mavic Mini. This happened several times over 3 years using my P4, it then would usually gain some height or track back a little where it came from to reconnect. Not so that dumb POS, it looses contact (0:06), then stops sharp, turns toward RTH point (0:17) and just goes full speed into whatever CLEARLY JUST NOW BLOCKED THE SIGNAL (0:25)!! how stupid is that!?! Yes, so am I, I put it there, fine, but no reason to just turn and race straight into the one place where an obstacle is to be expected. Gaining height would be the so much more obviously reasonable thing to do. Pair that with a lack of forward facing sensors (sure, I knew that, 249 gr, 400 USD and all that...), and you get to sell a lot of extra drones. To be fair, after I lost connection for the longest 30 seconds in my life, it came limping back to me, but with gimbal brocken and can't be repaired.
have a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v70qdhmtf9qpg0/crash.mov?dl=0
2020-5-6
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Without providing any valid "excuse" to justify your actions it's an implicit admission of fault, and considering where the drone turned it is very likely that the piloting point was behind the tower.

What on earth made you think you could get behind the tower and not lose signal... most of all why didn't you set the RTH properly !?
I can't even get why you're blaming it on DJI... since now you've been given 3 options for RTH.
2020-5-6
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are several videos on youtube of Mavic Minis being flown behind an object, losing signal, initiating an RTH and flyng straight into that object.
I would have thought it common sense to set the RTH height to more than the height of  the object you intend to fly behind. If the height is unknown then you can surely 'measure it' with the drone as you approach the object i.e. climb until your screen shows that you are level with the top of the object, then adjust the RTH height to give suitable clearance just in case signal is lost and an RTH is triggered.
I can do this with a  P3 adv so would have thought it is possible with a more modern drone
2020-5-6
Use props
Lajos Jozsa
New

Austria

The drone was about 260 meters high and the connection gone. It was hanging up there for like 10 minutes. It did not even try to come back.  I did press return home on the console, but nothing, it was maintaining the height and the colsol was doing all the beeping but the screen on Iphone was dart, everything was disconnected. I figured, this should not be too much of the the distance and I tried to move away from the buildings where other WIFI signals were present and suddenly it was reconnected. Quickly pressed RTH and it came back down. I guess, in EU even a few WIFI signals can bugger the connection as I had no problem elsewhere where I was isolated.    Anyway, later on I find out, the Drone remained up there as it was set to HOVER not to RTH! What a stupid mistake.

2020-7-24
Use props
59 North TV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20456 ft
United Kingdom

Whilst I realise that I have a massive advantage living in the middle of nowhere (A Scottish Island) and can fly just about anywhere, can someone explain to me why you would want to fly in a built-up, wi-fi congested area? Ok if it is for business and you are filming buildings for a client that's just fine and dandy, you fly it close, not behind anything or too close to anything. If the worst happens you are also covered by your liability insurance.  But to by choice fly in a built up area where not only are you likely to lose signal. but also likely to cause damage or injury to others sounds to me to be a bit irresponsible.
2020-7-24
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

good evening to all, I share with you my experience with this video, attention I still want to specify that I am only a beginner. in the video like many people I lost the connection with my MM while passing behind a castle, you can see that I am going up high enough to go around the castle and my RTH was at 50 meters but I went much more high than the castle to go around, and fortunately for me, and the MM is staying at the altitude of loss of the signal to make its RTH, if you lose your connection the drone will not descend then come back, it will stay there altitude to return if I'm not mistaken?
So now first thing I do before each flight (which is the most important in my opinion) and take the time to adjust its RTH according to the environment where it is. This is personal opinion and I could be wrong.
2020-7-24
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the mini is above the RTH height when the RTH is triggered it will start its journey home at its current height, so you are NOT mistaken. That said I have seen mention of a DJI drone having the ability to RTH down a slope but I can't remember which drone it is and if it is the Mini then it must be part of a firmware update.

" and take the time to adjust its RTH according to the environment where it is" is. IMO, a VERY good idea but I think you can also adjust it whilst the mini is in flight but probably not during an actual RTH

2020-7-24
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I have recently done several intentional flights where  I flew until the drone lost signal.  I am in the RF congested Los Angeles metro area, so WiFi interference is always the reason for loss of signal.  I have the Mini set to RTH on loss of signal, and RTH height is set to 127 feet - plenty high enough to be well above anything in my area.  In all cases, I had video recording so I could review what happened after the fact even though I could not see the video live.  I have have subtitles enabled so when I watch the video in VLC, I can see the height, speed, etc on screen.  Of course I was paying attention to wind speed and direction and battery, so running out of power was never an issue.

In ALL cases, when I watched the video after the fact, it was obvious when the Mini lost signal.  It would stop and hover for around 10 seconds, and then initiate the RTH.  In most of the cases, I was above the RTH height, so it stayed at that height until it got home, but in one case, it was a little below the RTH height, so sure enough when the Mini decided it was time to RTH, it first climbed to the RTH height and then flew home.

BTW, I can tell you that there is a serious pucker factor between the loss of signal and the return of signal on the way back home!  Amazing how long 30 seconds or so can take!
2020-7-24
Use props
Zbip57
lvl.4

Canada

Ph3onix Posted at 7-24 11:17
good evening to all, I share with you my experience with this video, attention I still want to specify that I am only a beginner. in the video like many people I lost the connection with my MM while passing behind a castle, you can see that I am going up high enough to go around the castle and my RTH was at 50 meters but I went much more high than the castle to go around, and fortunately for me, and the MM is staying at the altitude of loss of the signal to make its RTH, if you lose your connection the drone will not descend then come back, it will stay there altitude to return if I'm not mistaken?
So now first thing I do before each flight (which is the most important in my opinion) and take the time to adjust its RTH according to the environment where it is. This is personal opinion and I could be wrong.https://youtu.be/HMnq0FjmcsE

The control signal is in line-of-sight.  If you lose sight of your drone behind an obstacle, there's a strong possibility that the control signal will be interrupted.  I can see your location in the field next to the hay bales.  The control signal was blocked when you positioned the castle between yourself and the drone.

Always check the height of any obstacles in your area, and set your RTH height more than that.  That way, if the drone happens to be below the top of the tower when you lose signal, it will first climb up to the set RTH height before heading for Home.  In your case the drone was already at or above your configured RTH height, so it just went straight for Home without climbing any higher.

Here's a classic example from way back in 2014.  This guy was standing near his car, visible on the right, when he put the tower between himself and the drone.  When the control signal was blocked the drone headed straight for Home and only just barely cleared the top of the tower.  Can't get much luckier than this!  

2020-7-24
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

Zbip57 Posted at 7-24 18:02
The control signal is in line-of-sight.  If you lose sight of your drone behind an obstacle, there's a strong possibility that the control signal will be interrupted.  I can see your location in the field next to the hay bales.  The control signal was blocked when you positioned the castle between yourself and the drone.

Always check the height of any obstacles in your area, and set your RTH height more than that.  That way, if the drone happens to be below the top of the tower when you lose signal, it will first climb up to the set RTH height before heading for Home.  In your case the drone was already at or above your configured RTH height, so it just went straight for Home without climbing any higher.

waow !!! indeed the person had an insolent luck . he should have played the lottery that day, with that luck I'm sure he would have won
2020-7-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Zbip57 Posted at 7-24 18:02

OMG  what lucky person in this video!!
2020-7-25
Use props
djiuser_TNnPqZP6o1Gj
New

United States

fans7e8fa8d3 Posted at 1-7 15:57

Mayby I will test it if no one now's the answer...

It will definitely go up to the assigned RTH height!   Do not do it!
you're going to ruin your drone
2020-12-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, sometimes i forget i'm in the mavic mini forum.
2020-12-29
Use props
skawzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343766 ft
Serbia

I recommend to the new owners of their Drones. Before you flight the first time or trying to test how far your Dron can fly, watch the safety tips how to save it and not lost it and in what conditions you can or can't fly.
2021-1-19
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Zbip57 Posted at 2020-7-24 18:02

I think that line of sight thing only applies a certain distance out. I tested this one day and launched the drone outside my  house then went inside and walked around my house and had 100% connection the whole time. Sometimes there were 3-4 walls plus an iron roof between me and the drone. I was surprised!
2021-1-20
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

djiuser_TNnPqZP6o1Gj Posted at 2020-12-29 16:25
It will definitely go up to the assigned RTH height!   Do not do it!
you're going to ruin your drone

Only if more than 20m from Home Point. One of the times this feature is handy. If within 20m will just land. Not so good if you are on a mountain top!
2021-1-20
Use props
djiuser_8Ex29O4Wvy22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15056598 ft
United States

Zbip57 Posted at 2020-7-24 18:02

Wow! Literally held my breath watching that. Someone said he should have played the lottery that day, I agree!
2021-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules