1249 21 2019-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Set up , initially you will have to update FW, it's pretty quick about 12 minutes

Start up, for me here in Europe it's default was 5.8ghz and although it doesn't have as strong a signal it's transmission for me was way ahead of 2.4ghz, I managed to fly 430 metres without lag or signal drop above this I got signal drop continued to fly it to 610 metres, twice it asked if I wanted to Rth , I canceled, limit is supposed to be 500m in 5.8 CE, I didn't get a chance to try distance on 2.4ghz but found even at close quarters drops in transmission, which I found strange .
Craft is reasonably quick to pick up sats it's always worth waiting particularly because battery life is exceptional.

For Newbies I would recommend.

Start up wait for minimum 11 sats,
If your asked to calibrate, first turn off and move location try again, if prompt doesn't go away calibrate.

Raise craft to approx 8ft
Hover for 10 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Fly back 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw right
Yaw left
Each time bringing craft back to hover position

This takes about 1 minute, what it does is it insures you have a GOOD IMU, GOOD COMPASS AND GOOD GPS and your craft is safe to fly.

I have used this method since I've been flying it was taught to me by a drone flight instructor, and it has served me very well since I started using it.

In Flight, the craft flys really well it's extremely stable , wind was light for me today, the craft seems anyway to move and bank very smoothly, breaking is as you would expect, cinematic mode is very useful and those flying in close quarters will find this very useful.
Sport mode, although it's approx 30mph it looks and feels much faster , I suspect because it's so small, but sport mode is great fun craft does exactly as commanded.

HELIX,CIRCLE,DRONIE AND ROCKET are limited to 40 metres not sure why but they are very smooth.

RTH there is a slight problem all should know about this, default is 15m, if you set craft to 30m and if you shut down craft and restart you will see in app that it is saying RTH is back at 15m, but I further tested this, although it seems to revert back to 15m in flight if you hit RTH it will raise to 30m and fly home, so you won't get caught out, but this needs to be fixed and app needs to report accurately what parameters you set, dji have said on another thread that it will be sorted next week.

Battery life, honestly I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to reduce its power, it's really great and safe .

Photos, it was incredibly dull day here, I have posted a couple samples, you can make up your own mind, but be aware that these photos in full file look so much better than you see compressed on this forum.
For me the fact they are slightly flat gives some opportunity to enhance in post, but they are pretty sharp and these samples are Auto, simply because I wanted to see how they turned out.

Video, I cannot post yet but will, I only did a short clip in @2.7k and it's very very good maybe a little sharp for some, but middle of the day I like sharp.

Overall craft is good bang for your buck, many I know will create amazing stuff with this little craft, but for me it's just a great buzz it's something you really want to fly and everything once set up is so easy and without fuss, my thoughts.

2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice write up hallmark007. Exactly the same pre-flight that I've been taught. And dull day or not, the pics look great. Very nice place to fly imho!!
2019-11-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day hallmark007. Thank you for sharing your thoughts for the new DJI Mavic Mini and for sharing these beautiful photo you have captured. Great work. .
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-16 07:34
Hello and good day hallmark007. Thank you for sharing your thoughts for the new DJI Mavic Mini and for sharing these beautiful photo you have captured. Great work.  .

Thanks JodyB hope you get yours soon your going to really enjoy it .
2019-11-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to read about your experience!
Amazing how DJI pulled this off.
Hope you will have a lot of fun with it!
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Oh man, firstly congrats in your first flight and nice pictures.
Secondly thanks a lot for taking the time to report you experience with so much detail, the tips on calibrating + hoover + basic movements, give me a lot of confidence, I will do that everytime I fly for sure! Thanks a lot for that tip, it really helps begginers.

One of the main issues I´m seeing is that begginers have seen so many videos on Youtube of experienced users/pilots, taking off, then next thing is flying it over 200m high and 500 meters distance, without having experience... and they rush with the excitement to do that, or worse, and attempt quickshots in places with trees or cables.

When someone experienced says " it flies so easy, smooth and nice" it could make people feel too confident.

I feel, even this Mini being an entry level drone, to have many things to consider, learn before flying. The manual is not intimidating but surely Im reading it several times to get used to protocols and things to do if things go wrong.

Enjoy your bird!
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-16 07:34
Hello and good day hallmark007. Thank you for sharing your thoughts for the new DJI Mavic Mini and for sharing these beautiful photo you have captured. Great work.  .

Thank you dji Stephen
2019-11-16
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the your first impressions. I agree that calibration is important, if nothing more than to get a feel for the craft before each flight, while ensuring GPS, IMU, sats, and compass are calibrated.
Nice flying area and good photos. Mine arrives on Monday, looking forward to joining in the fun. Safe flying.
2019-11-16
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

This is the best advice I’ve read on the forum, thank you for sharing.
2019-11-16
Use props
miniger
lvl.2
Germany

@hallmark007, interesting instructions. I´m really surprized.

This procedure sounds like the Mini is calibrating in the air as well ?  

Really ?  That would help a lot.
2019-11-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 14:13
Thank you dji Stephen

You are very much welcome hallmark007. Please have fun and happy flying always. .
2019-11-16
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Nice write up as expected. I haven't fired mine up yet. Been windy and i don't want a fly away right off like that other member had happen to him. Anyway i hope mine flies as well as most of them have here.
2019-11-16
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for the great information.
2019-11-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

urbanweb Posted at 11-16 14:32
This is the best advice I’ve read on the forum, thank you for sharing.

Thank you, your welcome .
2019-11-17
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Hallmark007. I got mine on Friday. I have to say I am impressed with it for what it is. I had a couple of minor issues. Insufficient Power warning briefly, it descended on its own yesterday and suddenly stopped going forward like collision avoidance coming on despite it not having it. The pics and video are pretty good I have to say.
2019-11-17
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 06:17
[view_image][view_image]

That is a very good pre flight procedure!
Excellent review.
Aligned with my experience so far with this awesome little quad.
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-16 11:13
Nice to read about your experience!
Amazing how DJI pulled this off.
Hope you will have a lot of fun with it!

Yeah it’s pretty good I think it’s size is a huge factor particularly for those who travel, but if yo7 fly within 500m and your not looking for professional but good photography, it’s a really good purchase or just a back up .
2019-11-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 14:13
Thank you dji Stephen

You are very much welcome hallmark007. Please stay safe always and keep on flying. .
2019-11-17
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Mullheliflier Posted at 11-17 06:38
Thanks Hallmark007. I got mine on Friday. I have to say I am impressed with it for what it is. I had a couple of minor issues. Insufficient Power warning briefly, it descended on its own yesterday and suddenly stopped going forward like collision avoidance coming on despite it not having it. The pics and video are pretty good I have to say.[view_image][view_image]

Very nice pictures indeed.
I think being able to take pictures with different exposures, can give you something close to a RAW dynamic range, using manual bracketing, so far I'm quite impressed wth the pictures!
2019-11-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 12:21
Yeah it’s pretty good I think it’s size is a huge factor particularly for those who travel, but if yo7 fly within 500m and your not looking for professional but good photography, it’s a really good purchase or just a back up .

I agree fully with that.
If they add AEB, I might pull the trigger myself too.
That is the main thing I seem to miss in the specs list.
(compared to what I really use in my MP)
2019-11-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mullheliflier Posted at 11-17 06:38
Thanks Hallmark007. I got mine on Friday. I have to say I am impressed with it for what it is. I had a couple of minor issues. Insufficient Power warning briefly, it descended on its own yesterday and suddenly stopped going forward like collision avoidance coming on despite it not having it. The pics and video are pretty good I have to say.[view_image][view_image]

Thank you nice shots there thanks for posting .
2019-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules