17576 33 2019-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Napalm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21545 ft
Germany

Hi,

I use the DJI fly app on android to fly my new mavic mini.
When I download photos or videos from the drone, or when I want to edit a video clip with the build in editor, the app saves all data to the internal memory of my phone.
I have a phone with only 32gb and a lot of apps installed. There is not that much free space to edit videos or download that many videos from the drone.

But I have a very fast 128GB sd card with plenty of free space in my phone. Is there any setting in the app to make the app use that sd card instead of the internal memory of my phone?

regards
Mirko

2019-11-17
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

Unless you absolutely want to only use the editor of the Fly App, just leave the video on the sd card of the drone and use your PC to do the video.  Even if you use the Fly App editor you can work on one at a time and then put the video on your PC or even back to the SD card on the drone. I seem to recall an upload icon.
2019-11-17
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

Just checked the upload icon and it will not upload back to the drone SD card. But you can plug the phone into a PC and transfer the video and clean up the phone memory.
2019-11-17
Use props
Napalm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21545 ft
Denmark

Hi and thanks for the tips.
I know I can move the videos from my phone to pc or directly from the drone to pc.
That was not my point.
I just wanted to mention, that I can not find a setting to make the DJI Fly app save the data, downloaded from the MM, to the SD card in my phone.

I any camera app I use on my phone I can edit the settings to make the camera save the images to the sd card/externam memory instead of the internal memory of the phone.
I am just missing such an option in the DJI Fly App.

2019-11-18
Use props
djiuser_nYlAEbEXWy3M
New
United Kingdom

Napalm Posted at 11-18 04:41
Hi and thanks for the tips.
I know I can move the videos from my phone to pc or directly from the drone to pc.
That was not my point.

Same here! Would like to have this possibility...
2019-12-5
Use props
LegendEffects
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1227 ft
Philippines

Same here...

Any workaround at least? It's kinda hard working with a handful of Internal GBs when I have a very roomy SD card.
2019-12-24
Use props
fansc062c94c
New

Germany

Yes the video caching and the video editor is completely useless for me if i can't put the data on the external sd card. Please add this little feature. It's so easy to implement and makes a huge difference! Unfortunately there is no workaround without root!
2020-4-16
Use props
IFUHAMBURG
New
Flight distance : 78514 ft
Germany

+1

Please DJI make this happen!
2020-5-15
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

I haven't tried yet since because of the weather I haven't even been able to do my first flight yet, but did you try moving the actual DJI Fly app to the SD card on your phone?
I think that if you do that all the data from the app go to the SD card as well.
To do that press and hold the app icon and you will have a window with a few choices, one of them is app info. Click on app info and will take you to the DJI FLY info page
Select storage and then change from internal storage to external storage (SD Card)
By the way, when you have apps in the SD card and you reboot your phone, it would take a few seconds for the actual app's icon to display properly. Hope this works.

2020-5-15
Use props
djiuser_pWqB4HL1o7Xj
lvl.1

France

Same here, and unfortunately can't move the DJI Fly app to the SD card, really waiting for that update.
2020-6-29
Use props
Ermis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193002 ft
Greece

..or at least somehow get the "Video" folder working off the SD card, the app can stay were it is atm
2020-7-13
Use props
djiuser_Wa9hkzgfz0Ot
New

United Kingdom

Same here, changing the default save location to SD would be a massive help for editing and publishing on the fly. Not everyone wants to wait until they get back off their holiday to be home in front of a pc before they can use the footage.
Please implement this.
2020-8-16
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

a workaround could be to install a third party file manager app and use it to move files to the SD card manually (or you may find one that lest you set auto copy rules)

edit - this one looks promising https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.bukacek.filestosdcard
2020-8-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am not being offensive but could someone please explain this fascination with doing all this stuff via or in the app?  I can not see the point of it especially if space on the phone is limited
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_jlXvtbqzCyHi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4725190 ft
Spain

I dont think there is an direct option in the app.... i copy the mm files via computer from sd card directly to the phone sd folder......later for editing on the phone via app, you can import files from any folder on sd card....
Like this you have as well the full resolution ( all cache files a low resolution)  also its much faster then to download the videos via drone and you prevent the drone for overheating....
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_ojg3sFmlzNPM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2031 ft
Australia

Wow, it's 2020 and this issue is still not resolved by DJI as yet; it's annoying that the DJI Fly app does not give the ability to 'move' the 'video' cache folder out of phone to a SD card
2020-9-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 8-16 05:39
I am not being offensive but could someone please explain this fascination with doing all this stuff via or in the app?  I can not see the point of it especially if space on the phone is limited

I'm with you Sean.  I don't have any expectation that I would EVER use the editor capability of the Fly App.
2020-9-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_ojg3sFmlzNPM Posted at 9-26 21:37
Wow, it's 2020 and this issue is still not resolved by DJI as yet; it's annoying that the DJI Fly app does not give the ability to 'move' the 'video' cache folder out of phone to a SD card

Why? The photos and video in the phone are of preview quality only, the full sized, full resolution material is recorded to the SD card in the aircraft. Anything that ends up on your phone, apart from being poorer quality, can contain glitches from the radio transmission process.
2020-9-26
Use props
djiuser_ojg3sFmlzNPM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2031 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 9-26 23:41
Why? The photos and video in the phone are of preview quality only, the full sized, full resolution material is recorded to the SD card in the aircraft.

I understand that they are preview quality only, but it is filling up the phone memory fast (especially if you have 32GB internal memory or lower).

Ideally to give the option for the user to save this preview folder to the sd card.
2020-9-27
Use props
prednisolon
New

Turkey

Almost 2021, is there any solution to his?
2020-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_ojg3sFmlzNPM Posted at 9-27 03:21
I understand that they are preview quality only, but it is filling up the phone memory fast (especially if you have 32GB internal memory or lower).

Ideally to give the option for the user to save this preview folder to the sd card.

DJI are limited in the functions they can add to those provided for in the Android specification. It is quite possible that Android does not provide access to the SD card.
2020-9-27
Use props
RalphNL
New

Netherlands

I am also waiting for this option.
My phone's space is limited while I have huge data space available on the SD of the phone.
Would be nice to have the video cache stored to the SD card.
2020-12-19
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

This is for all the guys that are on an Android Device.
I run a NOKIA 6 TA-1033 32GB Android 9 (PIE) version mobile with the DJI Fly App 1.2.1, what i wanted to say is that there is a way to move the Fly app to an sd card, it can be forced in the developer options in the setting's area of your device.
Here below is how to do this, BUT, bare in mind if you do this and it doesnt work then it is not on me, so be fair warned all.

##### How To Enable DJI Fly On An SD Card #####

Go to Settings on said device's.Then go to System.
Tap on About Phone.
Scroll down and tap on Build Number untill it says either congratulations you are now developer, or it pops up you have activated Developer Mode.

Next, you need to go back into the settings area and tap on System.
From here tap on Advanced and scroll down to the bottom where you will see {} Developer Options.
Tap on {} Developer Options and scroll to near the bottom where you will see an option to Force allow apps on external, check this option to its on state, it will be greyed out at first.

After doing all of the above and if you have done this correctly then you should be able to go into the DJI Fly App's Storage section and only now though can you change the storage to an SD Card.

Hope this works out for the guys that are on Android and want to move the app to an SD Card, however, there is caveats to doing this, if you are not using a decently fast compatible SD Card then you could have more issues with video lagging, there is a number of things that could happen in this scenario, personally i havent had no need to do this or test it yet, so, i guess what i am trying to say is that we need some of you guys that is willing to try it out first literally, i have had no need to, but i do know that if you are not using a Sandisk top end card then you might as well keep the app where it is on the internal storage.

One other note to mention as well, i do not know if this could interfere with flight center data or images and videos previously stored on the Fly App, hence the reason for someone to test it out.
Peace To All
Mark.
2020-12-19
Use props
OneQuickSix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 781729 ft
United States

djiuser_ojg3sFmlzNPM Posted at 9-27 03:21
I understand that they are preview quality only, but it is filling up the phone memory fast (especially if you have 32GB internal memory or lower).

^THIS!^  It is inconceivable to me that they would not have the option to record the cache on an SD card. I know Iphones don't even allow you to use SD cards, so I am thinking the programmer(s) must be an iPhone user.

Whatever the case may be, it still has not been implemented in 2021. ( I know it's not 2021 yet, but almost ... and the odds of them making this change by then -- or if ever -- seem dismal.)
2020-12-20
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

Is the problem solved?
2020-12-20
Use props
Lars A.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18573 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

For me it is not so much the cache files but more the high res files that I transfer from the drone via the new wifi transfer system. They are much larger and would be better to have them on my SD card. I have no option the chose this.
To those who ask why, I do all my viewing  editing and uploading on my note 9 as I use the drone (mostly)to record camping trips in my tent.
2021-1-16
Use props
MicrosoftRVer
New

United States

+1 for DJI to add this feature to be able to configure pictures and video storage direct to SD installed on phone vs. only phone internal storage.  Thanks!
2021-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MicrosoftRVer Posted at 1-23 17:28
+1 for DJI to add this feature to be able to configure pictures and video storage direct to SD installed on phone vs. only phone internal storage.  Thanks!

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but every one seems to ignore. DJI can only implement saving to an SD card if the Android SDK allows it, and as far as I can tell, the SDK DOES NOT allow it.
2021-1-23
Use props
djiuser_ia9j3oSm9QdQ
New
Flight distance : 7635 ft
Belgium

+1 to add this functionality in Dji Fly. I really doubt that's not possible with the Android SDK as my camera applications on the phone can do it (and I use that for many years already, 'Open Camera' and 'Bacon Camera' do it both).

A workaround is to create a link from the directory on Android to a directory on the SD card. Android is Linux, so basically it's possible. The application 'Link2SD Plus' (not the normal version, the paid one) allows to do it, however it must be to a specific partition created on the SD card, because the FAT filesystem of the SD cards is not suitable as target for Linux links.
2021-2-5
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

The smart controller is based on Android OS...Does it have the ability to save to an SD card?  Or does it come loaded with massive internal storage?  If it is truly an android issue, why would they have made the smart controller android based?  
2021-3-11
Use props
djiuser_qKkYyZuX4r8K
New
United States

Just purchased an AIR 2S and I am here for this issue as well. The FLy app is great for use when you want to share a quick snip to social media, etc. But not being able to save said cache/videos to the SD Card on my phone is totally defeating the awesome features because I cannot allow the phone to fill up completely while recording.

Is there a way around this or do I just have to simply disable the cache feature and forget that the Fly app works for these purposes?  
2021-4-24
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

I enabled developer mode on my Samsung Galaxy s7 running  Android 8 and moved my XRecorder app to it for storage for screen recording. Thinking about moving the dji Fly app to the card as well since it's a very fast card.  If I do, I'll post any issues I find here.
2021-5-2
Use props
maol62
lvl.1

Sweden

Many android devices have the possibility to activate OTG (On-The-Go) function on their USB-port.

With OTG activated you can connect an OTG-cable (or buy an adapater and use the drone's USB charging cable) directly between your android USB-port (usually Micro-USB or Type C) and the USB port of the drone (in my case I have a Dji Mavic Mini then it is a Micro USB port).

Then you should be able to see the memory of the Drone's SD Card/Storage in your android FIle manager of choice, and you are also able to copy and paste files where you want, for instance to the SD Card of your android device.

I'm not sure if this is going to help you regarding files created by the internal editor of the Dji Fly app but at least it would work for moving/copying files from the drone to SD card of the android device. Hopefully. :-)
2021-7-16
Use props
djiuser_hHcph4bIedhQ
New

Ireland

Unbelievable that you can't change it to save on your SD card!! Or  why not have a W10 version of the DJI fly app. And do all your editing on your pc with tons of storage space.  Then you can of plenty of room on your phone.  ...not going to happen any time soon or at all I'm guessing.......
2021-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules