Caching Map on DJI Fly?
10285 15 2019-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb994c3a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10059 ft
Canada

I can't find any way to cache the Map in the DJI Fly app for using it without internet access. Is this feature missing from this app or am I just missing something??
2019-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, apologize but we don't support this feature at present, we'll forward your request to the related team. Thanks.
2019-11-27
Use props
Madperk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650089 ft
United States

Really surprised to hear this about DJI fly.  Not sure why they would not have this in the app.  Was looking forward to using this while camping.  This feature should be added ASAP.  
2019-12-4
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

I think this works as in the pro app, also see BUT in flyapp there is no switch to enable/disable it as in the go app. Anyway, I have noticed that all my regions that I have selected in wlan at home are present outdoor WITHOUT having internet connection (I always switch the phone to flymode). In the manual (PDF) at page 34 you also can read "Cache the map data of the area where you intend to fly ....) This supports my thinking.
2019-12-4
Use props
fansdb994c3a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10059 ft
Canada

jonny007 Posted at 12-4 22:43
I think this works as in the pro app, also see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV5vIo8MwgU BUT in flyapp there is no switch to enable/disable it as in the go app. Anyway, I have noticed that all my regions that I have selected in wlan at home are present outdoor WITHOUT having internet connection (I always switch the phone to flymode). In the manual (PDF) at page 34 you also can read "Cache the map data of the area where you intend to fly ....) This supports my thinking.

Excellent little tutorial. I've just checked out the rest of your channel and there's some great stuff there which I will explore later. Thanks for the response.
2019-12-5
Use props
Steve MartinUSA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3300653 ft
United States

fansdb994c3a Posted at 2019-12-5 06:23
Excellent little tutorial. I've just checked out the rest of your channel and there's some great stuff there which I will explore later. Thanks for the response.

So to have a map we would need to have cell phone coverage if we go abroad?
2020-3-3
Use props
Steve MartinUSA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3300653 ft
United States

The Mavic Mini manual states:
"Cache the map data of the area where you intend to fly the aircraft by connecting to the internet before each flight."

This kind of implies that it would happen automatically...
2020-3-3
Use props
djiuser_eWCWx8yrnAbp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

Some insight into this as well would be helpful. I have a Mavic 2 Air on order and plan on spending a lot of my time flying up in an area without cell service.

Do I have to have the drone connected to the app before I can start caching it? An option in the menu like the Go 4 app (Cache in the background) would be really helpful. A better idea would be to just have an option to not delete the cached maps. It's pretty inconvenient to keep the app open all the time and not close it on my cell phone.
2020-5-6
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

djiuser_eWCWx8yrnAbp Posted at 5-6 11:00
Some insight into this as well would be helpful. I have a Mavic 2 Air on order and plan on spending a lot of my time flying up in an area without cell service.

Do I have to have the drone connected to the app before I can start caching it? An option in the menu like the Go 4 app (Cache in the background) would be really helpful. A better idea would be to just have an option to not delete the cached maps. It's pretty inconvenient to keep the app open all the time and not close it on my cell phone.

A connection to the drone is not needed. Just open the app, then tap button "connect to aircraft" > cam view. Then the landscape symbol at the bottom left. Now you can zoom to the area you want to fly and  minimize and maximize these part. It remains even if the app is closed or the cell phone is restarted. Try this, then switch to airplane mode and check the map whether your cached area is still visible.
2020-5-7
Use props
MrSnowmobiling
lvl.1
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

jonny007 Posted at 5-7 00:36
A connection to the drone is not needed. Just open the app, then tap button "connect to aircraft" > cam view. Then the landscape symbol at the bottom left. Now you can zoom to the area you want to fly and  minimize and maximize these part. It remains even if the app is closed or the cell phone is restarted. Try this, then switch to airplane mode and check the map whether your cached area is still visible.

Thanks for that info! I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to cache the satellite data which wasn't saving. The normal maps mode seems to cache just fine and seems to be working on airplane mode now.

Are we able to cache the satellite data by chance?
2020-5-7
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

MrSnowmobiling Posted at 5-7 20:18
Thanks for that info! I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to cache the satellite data which wasn't saving. The normal maps mode seems to cache just fine and seems to be working on airplane mode now.

Are we able to cache the satellite data by chance?

I forgot....only the "normal map" will be cached, not the gps map. Yes, a feature like in the go app would be useful. This has been suggested here several times, but apparently not answered.
2020-5-8
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

This is how you do it
2020-6-27
Use props
Carl Bartlett
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169872 ft
Canada

Very helpful, I was trying to download the map cache via satalite view and it didn't work. NORMAL view works!! Having satellite view would be awesome.
Please reply if we can have it with the dji fly app.
2020-8-19
Use props
djiuser_40EaltttJBWs
lvl.1
United States

Can i still use the RTH feature using a iPad mini 5 with WiFi only? Still a bit confused, any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU
2020-8-22
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

Thanks for the guides, I plan to fly frequently in areas without cell coverage, so I will give this a try.
2020-8-22
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_40EaltttJBWs Posted at 8-22 12:43
Can i still use the RTH feature using a iPad mini 5 with WiFi only? Still a bit confused, any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU

yes, RTH uses GPS so will still work without internet or phone signal, just make sure the home point is correctly set before takeoff
2020-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules