Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ripple effect in raw video - not supposed to be there!!
1234Next >
3397 121 11-19 06:40
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have been using my new Manic Mini for a week now.  Overall very impressed.  However, today I noticed a problem with the video capture and playback.  I've uploaded to Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... OR/view?usp=sharing) a short clip showing the problem by comparing Mavic Mini and Osmo Action footage, both shot at 2.7k 30 fps.  The issue is that if you look carefully at the bottom of the Mavic Mini clip there seems to be a 'ripple' effect in the video, unlike the Osmo Action footage (taken on a gimbal).  If you look at the last part of the clip I have cropped in on the Mavic Mini footage and the ripple effect is very very obvious - it stands out like a sore thumb.  
Note: I have since communicated with DJI Support.  They have got the footage and sent it off to be analysed by the developers.  Hopefully this is just a glitch that can be fixed with a firmware update.  I have also found footage online from someone who did a Mavic Mini review a few days ago and the 'ripple' effect is noticeable in their video as well.  So the problem does not appear to be limited to my drone.  It's also interesting that the 'ripple' effect only seems to be apparent when panning left/right or moving the drone to the left or right while recording video

11-19 06:40
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1418406 ft
United States

It's really hard to see -- until you do see it -- THEN it really sticks out. Does the Mini employ digital stabilization along with gimbal stabilization? Have you tried recalibrating your gimbal, if that's something you can do with the Mini?
11-19 08:10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI and with your new DJI Mavic Mini. Rest assured once our DJI support team has finished their analysis on the video that you have provided the resolution will be given. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be updated and for us to assists you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
11-19 11:18
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

That is very weird indeed...
It almost look like, maybe in order to save weight, they swaped  optical glass in front of the lense, to something more plastic? and is not 100% flat... not sure though.
11-19 12:34
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 11-19 08:10
It's really hard to see -- until you do see it -- THEN it really sticks out. Does the Mini employ digital stabilization along with gimbal stabilization? Have you tried recalibrating your gimbal, if that's something you can do with the Mini?

Not sure If the drone uses any digital stabilisation, but I have recalibrated the gimbal and it made no difference.  I also swapped SD cards and that made no difference either.  However, since I added the original post I’ve now found footage online from another Mavic Mini owner and it also has the same ‘ripple’ effect in some of his video.
11-19 15:31
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 11:18
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI and with your new DJI Mavic Mini. Rest assured once our DJI support team has finished their analysis on the video that you have provided the resolution will be given. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be updated and for us to assists you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Thanks for the message.  It’s clear the issue is not unique to my drone as I have subsequently found footage online from another Mavic Mini owner which shows the same ‘ripple’ effect in some of his video footage.  Fingers crossed the genius developers at DJI can resolve the problem
11-19 15:35
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-19 15:31
Not sure If the drone uses any digital stabilisation, but I have recalibrated the gimbal and it made no difference.  I also swapped SD cards and that made no difference either.  However, since I added the original post I’ve now found footage online from another Mavic Mini owner and it also has the same ‘ripple’ effect in some of his video.

Sorry to hear that -- does it only happen on pans? Those are the hardest types of shots to compress.
11-19 15:49
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-19 15:35
Thanks for the message.  It’s clear the issue is not unique to my drone as I have subsequently found footage online from another Mavic Mini owner which shows the same ‘ripple’ effect in some of his video footage.  Fingers crossed the genius developers at DJI can resolve the problem

Hi there, the video you provided in the link above is not the original video from the SD card, did you give the original files to the support team?
11-20 03:50
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-20 03:50
Hi there, the video you provided in the link above is not the original video from the SD card, did you give the original files to the support team?

I didn’t give the support team the original footage and they didn’t ask for it either.  If they come back to me I would be delighted to send them the raw footage - unless you think I should contact them and offer to send them the original video file?
11-20 08:45
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 11-19 15:49
Sorry to hear that -- does it only happen on pans? Those are the hardest types of shots to compress.

Panning left/right and also moving the drone horizontally from left to right is when the ‘ripple’ effect is at its worst
11-20 08:47
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 11-19 15:49
Sorry to hear that -- does it only happen on pans? Those are the hardest types of shots to compress.

Panning left/right and also moving the drone horizontally from left to right is when the ‘ripple’ effect is at its worst
11-20 08:47
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Juliflash Posted at 11-19 12:34
That is very weird indeed...
It almost look like, maybe in order to save weight, they swaped  optical glass in front of the lense, to something more plastic? and is not 100% flat... not sure though.

I’m not sure the issue is the glass in front of the lens. I say that because I did some more tests today.  There is almost no ripple effect in 1080p - just 2.7k seems to be the problem
11-20 08:49
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-20 08:49
I’m not sure the issue is the glass in front of the lens. I say that because I did some more tests today.  There is almost no ripple effect in 1080p - just 2.7k seems to be the problem

Ok,  that´s interesting, maybe support can indicate or translate the issue to tech guys, and find a fix.
Thanks for reporting.
11-20 09:36
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-20 08:49

When in 1080p are you using a faster frame rate?
11-20 10:12
Use props
KREMi
First Officer
Poland

for sure it's strange :/
maybe as it's reading bigger part of sensor (@2,7K) it add some correction to lenses curve = digital processing
11-20 13:08
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-19 15:35
Thanks for the message.  It’s clear the issue is not unique to my drone as I have subsequently found footage online from another Mavic Mini owner which shows the same ‘ripple’ effect in some of his video footage.  Fingers crossed the genius developers at DJI can resolve the problem

You are very much welcome and thank you very much for your understanding.
11-20 14:25
Use props
JodyB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12461 ft
United States

That’s definitely not what I’d like to see in my videos
11-20 14:29
Use props
fansdb994c3a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10059 ft
Canada

I'm having the same problem at 1080p/60 fps. It looks like the Jello caused by props out of balance but it's erratic and isn't always present.  I have seen many references to it on YT.
11-20 14:33
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231368 ft
Australia

wow that is fresh. I got jello and vibration. but not ripples
11-20 19:58
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-20 08:45
I didn’t give the support team the original footage and they didn’t ask for it either.  If they come back to me I would be delighted to send them the raw footage - unless you think I should contact them and offer to send them the original video file?

The original video file is necessary, please send the file to them, or you can also post here, I will help to transfer to our engineers for analysis.
11-21 00:29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

Guorium Posted at 11-20 19:58
wow that is fresh. I got jello and vibration. but not ripples

Hi Guorium, may we have the original video files from the SD card for reference? You may upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, thank you in advance.
11-21 00:30
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

It's on my footage as well. Panning left/right. And moving left to right and vice-versa.
11-21 00:40
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 11:18
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI and with your new DJI Mavic Mini. Rest assured once our DJI support team has finished their analysis on the video that you have provided the resolution will be given. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be updated and for us to assists you further. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Hi DJI Paladin. Can you be more specific regarding what the resolution to this problem is. Is this a software bug or a hardware one?
11-21 01:09
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-21 00:29
The original video file is necessary, please send the file to them, or you can also post here, I will help to transfer to our engineers for analysis.

Hi there, thanks for agreeing to forward the original video file to your engineers.  Your system won't let me upload an mp.4 file so here is a link to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... A0/view?usp=sharing

Please can you tell your engineers that having taken more footage (yesterday) the ripple effect appears at BOTH the top and the bottom of video clips - BUT ONLY when panning left/right or moving the drone horizontally left or right.  If you want them to see this new video clip as well I can send you another link. Can you also please tell them that the ripple effect is less noticeable in 1080p.

I hope they can fix the problem with a firmware update and its kinda spoiling my enjoyment of the videos I'm taking.  I see one other person has posted a message on this thread saying they too have the same problem.
11-21 01:30
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-21 01:30
Hi there, thanks for agreeing to forward the original video file to your engineers.  Your system won't let me upload an mp.4 file so here is a link to Google Drive:

Really hope is a software bug but to be honest, all the details point out to be a hardware thing and I think is the senzor not the glass. The ripples always seem to be in the same place in my footage (on the bottom, more noticeable on the left side near the bottom center).
Edit: I see it on the top a little as well.
11-21 01:43
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

After analyzing some more footage I see it in the top just as much as well. The top and bottom ripples seem to be linked and are at the same postion oposite each other. I have them on the left side and the right side but only noticeable near the top and bottom center. They are kinda like 2 streaks but the center of the image doesnt seem to be affected.

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN thank you for noticing this and bringing it to our attention.

DJI, please respond as soon as possible if this is a software bug or not as most of us are well within our return periods so we can easily swap them if there is a hardware problem.
11-21 01:55
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-21 00:30
Hi Guorium, may we have the original video files from the SD card for reference? You may upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here, thank you in advance.

Here. Shake
and Jello. Enjoy!
11-21 04:49
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

I can confirm that in 1080p the effect is less noticeable. It is still there but less noticeable.
11-21 08:22
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 11-20 10:12
When in 1080p are you using a faster frame rate?

I tried all the frame rates in 1080p.  Maybe a coincidence, but the lower the frame rate the less the ripple effect in the video
11-21 10:50
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-21 10:50
I tried all the frame rates in 1080p.  Maybe a coincidence, but the lower the frame rate the less the ripple effect in the video

Ok, well, that's not what I expected. Let us know what ends up being the answer, and good luck!
11-21 16:23
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

To eliminate the premise that this could be some sort of reduced jello effect (an issue familiar with drone users when there is not enough dampening on the gimbal or an unbalanced propeller - thus causing vibrations) I tested it without flying it, rotating the drone on it's axis and the problem is still there.
Further analysis on my previous footage shows some inconsistencies on where this distortion appears. In some of my footage the distortion appears on top and down on both sides, on some there is no distortion on the bottom but there is on the top right near the center and vice-versa. Really weird.
My drone is a CE version. If it's a hardware problem, it might explain why some users have it and some don't.
11-22 01:04
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-21 01:30

Thank you for the original footage, we have forwarded to our engineers for further advice, we will keep you updated once I get anything from them. Thanks for your patience.
11-22 03:57
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

Guorium Posted at 11-21 04:49
Here. Shake
and Jello. Enjoy!

Hi Guorium, thanks for your feedback, may we verify more details?
1. Did you attach the propeller guards?
2. Did you ever change the propellers?
3. Was it working after the gimbal calibration?
11-22 04:10
Use props
Guorium
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-22 04:10
Hi Guorium, thanks for your feedback, may we verify more details?
1. Did you attach the propeller guards?
2. Did you ever change the propellers?

No cage installed
Those are new props installed in the factory. They look fine and swing unimpeded around the screws. The camera does that first flight out of the box.
I did all possible calibrations and none helped.
11-22 04:38
Use props
djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-22 03:57
Thank you for the original footage, we have forwarded to our engineers for further advice, we will keep you updated once I get anything from them. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for passing on the raw video to your engineers. I recently joined a Mavic Mini  user group on Facebook. I shared the problem I have with my drone video and I was somewhat overwhelmed by the responses I got. It looks like there are loads of other people out there with the same problem. Please could I ask DJI to respond as a matter of urgency as to whether this is a software issue that can be fixed or a hardware problem that cannot.  As customers we have the right to know if it’s a hardware problem so that we can then exchange our drones on the warranty.I appreciate there will always be niggling issues with any new product launch, but given my experience of using other DJI products I guess I had expected better in terms of video quality.
11-22 05:21
Use props
gaardhund
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22457 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Somehow i can´t see your video, but i believe mine has the same problem (thin moving stripes on the bottom of the video) i took it to the store where i bought it a week ago, and got a replacement, unfortunately the new one does the exactly the same.
11-22 10:12
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

gaardhund Posted at 11-22 10:12
Somehow i can´t see your video, but i believe mine has the same problem (thin moving stripes on the bottom of the video) i took it to the store where i bought it a week ago, and got a replacement, unfortunately the new one does the exactly the same.

I see you are from Denmark so I presume you have the CE version. I have a feeling that there is a batch of this CE versions that have this defect. We are waiting for DJI Mindy to give us a response if it's something that is fixable through software. Thanks for reporting this, it's important to keep this topic alive cause I see many users having this defect and don't even realise.
11-22 11:01
Use props
gaardhund
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22457 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Yes, it´s a CE version.  two in a row with the same issue from the same store, is a bit odd. I was thinking about getting it replaced again, but i might wait a bit, untill i know more.
11-22 11:36
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

gaardhund Posted at 11-22 11:36
Yes, it´s a CE version.  two in a row with the same issue from the same store, is a bit odd. I was thinking about getting it replaced again, but i might wait a bit, untill i know more.

They surely are from the same batch. Yes, wait a bit. Let's see what DJI responds.
11-22 11:48
Use props
StephanO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47694 ft
Netherlands

Hello everyone, I also have video problems at the bottom of the screen and I not only because on the Mavic forum https://mavicpilots.com/threads/attention-mavic-mini-video-is-f-ed.76108/  the problem is frequently reported!  I also reported the problems to DJI and made a video and sent it to the DJI engineers last Tuesday.  Unfortunately I have not received a message back.
11-22 13:19
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules