Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Overheating issues?
2946 24 2019-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joemar7
Second Officer
United States

I received my Mini yesterday and flew it indoors for less than 10 minutes.  Then I left it on idle with no propellers on while I was viewing what I recorded.  Then I received a message on the screen about the processor being overheated.  I do not recall the exact message.  I picked it up from the floor, and I turned off the drone and removed the battery.  I noticed that both the bottom of the drone and the battery were extremely hot.  

Is this normal?  
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

Mine got very hot too while just sitting there.  (Note it was just sitting there because the phone and controller won't connect so I can't fly it. I got no message due to my connection issues, so there is no screen to display on.)

2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused. For the Overheating message. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you.
2019-11-19
Use props
Joemar7
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 08:29
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused. For the Overheating message. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you.

Thank you DJI Paladin for the explanation.   
2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator

Joemar7 Posted at 11-19 11:04
Thank you DJI Paladin for the explanation.

You are very much welcome. If you have any other concern or inquiry. Please don't hesitate to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support. Thank you for you valued support.
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_lqU0v0sZtOwn
lvl.1

India

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 08:29
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused. For the Overheating message. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you.

Even If you don't fly you Mini and keep it idle on the surface, it's battery will become extremely hot.
I can understand that while flying, battery has to supply too much of power to the motor and the board.
But this should not be the case when it is kept idle.
2019-12-18
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 430466 ft
Spain

djiuser_lqU0v0sZtOwn Posted at 12-18 02:00
Even If you don't fly you Mini and keep it idle on the surface, it's battery will become extremely hot.
I can understand that while flying, battery has to supply too much of power to the motor and the board.

Batteries get warm but I haven't noticed them to be "extremely" hot.
I guess some airflow for the bottom side is desired.
2019-12-18
Use props
Good guy Biker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459144 ft
Canada

having similar overheating issues
2019-12-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator

djiuser_lqU0v0sZtOwn Posted at 12-18 02:00
Even If you don't fly you Mini and keep it idle on the surface, it's battery will become extremely hot.

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for your insights with regards to this matter. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, The only way for it dissipate heat is through the bottom of the drone. If the drone is placed on a surface it will affect dissipation of heat from the drone. It is best to turn off the drone and let the temperature drop before using it again. Thank you.

2019-12-19
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 43337 ft
United States

Much like a computer, the mini has a method of cooling and that happens to be either not being turned on and idle for extended periods of time or flight. It has no cooling fan to help it if it’s just powered up and sitting on a table or something similar. Yes, it is intended to be able to pull information from or update the firmware via DJI assistant 2, but those things don’t take very long and are ok to do, but not for very long times. If you have a situation where it gets really hot, I would suggest stopping what you are doing and let it cool down. Too many times of overheating can cause some serious problems down the road.

If you are experiencing over heating during a short period of time of being idle or during flight, I would suggest contacting DJI about the issue.

2019-12-19
Use props
djiuser_wcXiwnNYt41z
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179987 ft
Panama

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-19 08:29
Hi, I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused. For the Overheating message. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you.

hi, one question i ubderstand that we see the message and the shutdown the mavic but what happen ita no shutdown, I want to know if the mavic has a autoshutdown mecanism
1-5 09:26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator

djiuser_wcXiwnNYt41z Posted at 1-5 09:26
hi, one question i ubderstand that we see the message and the shutdown the mavic but what happen ita no shutdown, I want to know if the mavic has a autoshutdown mecanism

Hi. Thank you for the additions inquiry. With regards to this matter. The DJI Mavic Mini uses a heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on(about 15 min)and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again.
1-6 14:58
Use props
djiuser_kGG7APiaLDHw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41594 ft
El Salvador

I purchased a Mavic Mini in January 14th in El Salvador. The dealer is Latitude Sports. The first time I configured the drone, it sent me the processor overheating message that you explained before.
When I went to fly it in a wind speed 6 m/s and ambient temperature 22⁰ Celsius, the battery temperature reached 41.8⁰ Celsius in 12 minutes flight time and the video quality degraded notably. I suspended the flight. Flying indoors with the propeller guards the temperature reach 63.5⁰C in 15 minutes flight time, with 22⁰C ambient temperature and zero wind. I sent the Mini to the dealer and they say that this is a normal operating temperature. In fact, they got 46.8⁰ C flying it at 25-27⁰C and 6 m/s wind speed.
I am afraid of that, when I fly the drone over people or properties.
The temperature is much higher than the manual states and the video quality is compromised above 40⁰C
What do I have to do??
Thanks in advance
1-27 19:15
Use props
djiuser_kGG7APiaLDHw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41594 ft
El Salvador

I purchased a Mavic Mini in January 14th in El Salvador. The dealer is Latitude Sports. The first time I configured the drone, it sent me the processor overheating message that you explained before.
When I went to fly it in a wind speed 6 m/s and ambient temperature 22⁰ Celsius, the battery temperature reached 41.8⁰ Celsius in 12 minutes flight time and the video quality degraded notably. I suspended the flight. Flying indoors with the propeller guards the temperature reach 63.5⁰C in 15 minutes flight time, with 22⁰C ambient temperature and zero wind. I sent the Mini to the dealer and they say that this is a normal operating temperature. In fact, they got 46.8⁰ C flying it at 25-27⁰C and 6 m/s wind speed.
I am afraid of that, when I fly the drone over people or properties.
The temperature is much higher than the manual states and the video quality is compromised above 40⁰C
What do I have to do??
Thanks in advance
1-27 19:43
Use props
Leafs299
New

Canada

Hello, Can DJI then please make it so we can use a DJI program on both MAC and Windows so we can remove SD card from the drone and use it on a desktop to edit therefore we don't have to get the drone into a possible overheating scenario when downloaded and working on large files?
3-27 12:33
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Leafs299 Posted at 3-27 12:33
Hello, Can DJI then please make it so we can use a DJI program on both MAC and Windows so we can remove SD card from the drone and use it on a desktop to edit therefore we don't have to get the drone into a possible overheating scenario when downloaded and working on large files?

Really? There are about a million editing programs out there for Windows and Mac, why on earth would DJI go to the trouble of creating another?
3-27 14:05
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

Leafs299 Posted at 3-27 12:33
Hello, Can DJI then please make it so we can use a DJI program on both MAC and Windows so we can remove SD card from the drone and use it on a desktop to edit therefore we don't have to get the drone into a possible overheating scenario when downloaded and working on large files?

You can remove the SD card, pop it in your computer and copy to your hard drive already.
There is no need to transfer files from the drone with a cable at all.
Using a cable is much slower anyway.
3-27 16:07
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 56532 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-27 16:07
You can remove the SD card, pop it in your computer and copy to your hard drive already.
There is no need to transfer files from the drone with a cable at all.
Using a cable is much slower anyway.

Absolutely. And there is also no need to power on the MM that way. And you shouldn't even have power on while removing the card anyway.
3-27 19:15
Use props
IjamJamal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8678 ft
Malaysia

hi, for the 1st time flight, and become like this.  is it normal?
4-14 20:39
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3054629 ft
Italy

Of course is not normal... is it melted ? Has it been warped or impacted ? What is it ? Does it come from the battery underneath ?

To play safe while reviewing the footage on the MM... not something that I would advise but possible, I'd mount the prop. guard and start the motors with CSC. At that point the airflow is plenty enough and the processor will happily stay cool during the process, the battery usage is low on idling.
4-15 05:36
Use props
IjamJamal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8678 ft
Malaysia

m80116 Posted at 4-15 05:36
Of course is not normal... is it melted ? Has it been warped or impacted ? What is it ? Does it come from the battery underneath ?

To play safe while reviewing the footage on the MM... not something that I would advise but possible, I'd mount the prop. guard and start the motors with CSC. At that point the airflow is plenty enough and the processor will happily stay cool during the process, the battery usage is low on idling.

yes. look like melted. not only outside but under battery cover too

4-29 09:28
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

There's nothing there that can melt plastics. Contacts heat up is not a plausible source. The damage must be pre-existing or was not originated from within the MM, otherwise the heat warped area would have been more extensive un possibly atop something capable of releasing so much heat (ESC driver, heat shields above the chipset).

4-29 10:44
Use props
Destry Lack
lvl.1
United States

I've noticed that my mini overheats a  little as well and I don't get even 15 min of flight time! I'm about to return thi crap.  
5-10 03:00
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

How unbrilliant have you been to end up buying this crap ?

Overheating is a NON-ISSUE: if one really has to review and download footage directly from the drone to the MD all it takes to dissipate the heat build up is to start the motors with CSC. 15 mins of flight time suggest an improper use... AC overload or cage use. Might be a faulty battery but I don't trust people spending on crap, I've never paid for it.
5-10 04:32
Use props
Sean-newbie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If you are leaving it powered up and idling why not direct the output of a fan on to it, I do the same thing with a P3 Adv when down loading logs etc.
5-10 09:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules