Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Mini controller charging my android phone.
22678 21 2019-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bogarncz
lvl.1
Czechia

Hi, I've found out that my new DJI Mavic Mini controller is actually charging my phone, which depletes the controller battery quiete fast. Is there anything I can do about it?
I looked it up and I found out that the controller doesn't charge iOS devices. Why does it charge Android then?
There is an app for rooted android, which stops the phone from USB charing, but I won't root my phone for security reasons. Some people said that I can make a "data only" cable by cutting the 5V (or ground) cable, but that's invasive method to sort this out and not a 100% sure that it will work. Can anybody help me with this issue?

I also tried different cable (Micro USB B to USB C) but the controller won't recognize it (funny thing is that with this cable, the phone charges the controller). I was able to have connection to the controller only with the original Micro USB A to USB C cable.

DJI Mavic Mini (Europe version)
Phone: Huawei P30 Pro (newest updates)
2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.
2019-11-19
Use props
Bogarncz
lvl.1
Czechia

Wow, that's unfortunate. So, cutting the 5v or the ground cable (only one of them) won't work and my only way to not get the controller battery completely depleted is to buy an iOS device?
2019-11-19
Use props
djiuser_ttcHlli0QQ1J
New

Belgium

Hi, what i found on Youtube is that you always have to full charge your phone. I tried it and it works.
2019-12-14
Use props
JustAskDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

It still charges the phone though. On my MP1 I can fly about 4 batteries before the controller is flat with my Samsung S9+, with an iphone 6 I get 8 batteries of flying
2020-1-6
Use props
Armored_22
New

United States

My remote doesn’t charge my phone...How do you allow this feature?
2020-1-11
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11119 ft
Switzerland

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-19 09:51
Hi. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.

Good hello
Beginner with a Drone but not in model aircraft (25 years pratice)
So I bought a Dji - Mini ;)
I had many SmartPhone compatibility problems from the start
I still had to "invest in another model)

OK everything works until I see this surprising point

This is why I am in this subject
I fully charged the Smarphone and the remote control that I connected
I activated the Dji-Mini on a table and I left everything on without using it in flight.
The idea was to test the autonomy of the whole.
Result after 1 hour 40 minutes I had the low voltage alarm on the remote control AND a smartphone still 100% charged!
So if I understand correctly, all DJI-Mini + Android Smartphone users must live and accept this very small autonomy? (I'm not talking about the drone’s flight batteries itself)

Thank you in advance for your comments.

All my greetings ;)
JFR

2020-2-19
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.1
Switzerland

As we can not edit a post I forget this view.
Sorry
JFR

2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Espace2020 Posted at 2-19 00:51
Good hello
Beginner with a Drone but not in model aircraft (25 years pratice)
So I bought a Dji - Mini ;)

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for the additional information. With regards to this query.  When the DJI Mavic Mini remote controller is connected to an Android mobile device. the said remote controller will charge the mobile device at 5V and 500 mA. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory (AOA). As the DJI Mavic Mini remote controller keeps charging to the mobile phone, the said remote controller's battery life will be slightly reduced. Hope this helps and thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-19
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-19 11:22
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for the additional information. With regards to this query.  When the DJI Mavic Mini remote controller is connected to an Android mobile device. the said remote controller will charge the mobile device at 5V and 500 mA. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory (AOA). As the DJI Mavic Mini remote controller keeps charging to the mobile phone, the said remote controller's battery life will be slightly reduced. Hope this helps and thank you for your valued support.

Thank you for your welcome and response

As the remote control is equipped with a 2600 mA/h battery at 3.6 V ... that's not much (3.6v)
(Is it a single cell battery Oops?)

So, if the SmartPhone consumes current, then yes, it will solicit the unit more often,
it "will tire the battery and increase these charging cycles while reducing its lifespan
The Battery  can not be replaced either, and therefore "repair" and / or purchase of a new remote control?
Not very reassuring!

See you soon
JFR;)

ps
I find the concept a little simplistic
We have a smartphone + remote control, each equipped with a battery. So we would have a sum of available capacity, and in this context
only the remote control battery provides the necessary energy

What's the point of going home with a Smartphone that hasn't lost its starting capacity?
Call her "darling" ? ...lol;)
I am convinced that there is another technical solution about this subject ...

Really bad thought, sorry to say it here;)
Tomorrow I will test the autonomy of the remote control without connecting the SmartPhone to compare...
Good Night ;)

2020-2-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Espace2020 Posted at 2-19 14:02
Thank you for your welcome and response

As the remote control is equipped with a 2600 mA/h battery at 3.6 V ... that's not much (3.6v)

You are more than welcome and thank you for your informative insights regarding this matter. Thank you for your valued support and understanding.
2020-2-19
Use props
Espace2020
lvl.1
Switzerland

Comparison of the autonomy of the radio control
Let's start from the unit fully charged at 100%

My autonomy test of the radio control.
If I use a SmarPhone Andoide autonomy -> 1h40min
If I use Apple Ipad Mini (3 years) autonomy -> 6h15min

So the battery of the radio control will get tired more quickly under Androide.

How in the future to change the battery?
Can I replace it myself ?
Should it be returned to after-sales service?
Thanks ;).
EDIT_ ADD -> (29-FEB-2020)
There are people who say you have to cut the black wire in the cable

I voluntarily deleted another ideas because they do not apply.
It is said to avoid the load that it is necessary to cut the black wire
//

-> It's FALSE it doesn't apply!
//
Cut the red wire (+ 5V), either!
Insert a diode in the +5 (opposite to the current) either!
So no need to waste your time and money on a cable ...
NO solutions ...
Tested with the latest version of Firmware (Dji), Android 9

2020-2-22
Use props
anonymus
lvl.1

Israel

hey, i have the same problem as well, but the phone can't seen the controller (it says the phone not connected to the mobile device while the mobile charging), also the controller is connected to the drone
2020-4-18
Use props
Gary Groom
New

United Kingdom

Hi. I have the same problem the remote is loosing charge after about 20 minutes flying time.. Is there a fix for this
2020-5-25
Use props
Mini73
lvl.1

United States

This is some BS, and saying "Thank you for your valued support and understanding." does NOT address or FIX the issue.  You have software gurus. FIX IT.  SEND PATCH.  If you can't fix it because of some "Android Open Accessory (AOA)" skullduggery then I will NEVER BUY DJI AGAIN.

And thank you for your USELESS REPLY.
2020-6-29
Use props
djiuser_KAL9nf78Tn9F
lvl.1

Portugal

If my phone isnt fully charged, then the RC fails to connect to android device, only charges it, then when the phone is charged (by the RC) the RC is out of battery.
If both the batteries are fully charged connection is OK.
I bought DJI mavic mini due to portability, this issue makes the drone useless when travelling hence your phone is never 100% charged.
Fix it or advertise the issue to newcome buyers, like me, that bought your product and don´t use it.
Thank you for your valued support and understanding!
2020-7-24
Use props
djiuser_OJMzYmUVlxo5
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi anyone tried a charging case for their android phone, was wondering if you switch it on would that solve the problem?
Many thanks
2021-4-9
Use props
djiuser_niErcmhBuuKP
New

United Kingdom

Still no solution for this problem ? Now i need to buy an iphone ?
2021-5-17
Use props
K6CCC
Captain
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

This is in the android spec.  Nothing that DJI can do about it and still meet the Android spec.  I normally start with my phone either fully charged or at least close to it.  The longest I have gone is four Mini batteries - one right after the other - and the remote was not yet flat.  I have charging cables in my truck for both the phone and the Mini and remote, so it's not hard to top things off.  I also normally carry a USB battery that can change the phone, the mini, and the remote all at the same time.
2021-5-17
Use props
MM Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 295161 ft
Germany

There is no way to change it. That's the problem about android. The only way to stop the very fast deplete is to load you phone before flying to 100%.
2021-5-18
Use props
Harry Jones
lvl.1

United States

I just purchased a mavic mini and had a heart attack when I saw how fast the remote control battery drained charging my Samsung S9.
I Then went to youtube and found this video:

Mavic Mini and Mini 2 remote charging Android phone ISSUE SOLVED!  
link :    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDID4SvpbLU&t=72s

Many thanks to the creator of this video - Zolly .

I obtained diode 1N4004 from a local electronics store (micro center) for $1.99 and followed his instructions.  

My samsung S9 has the USB type C connector so I didnt want to ruin the micro USB to type C remote control cord experimenting, so i purchased a micro USB to type C adaptor ($3) and executed the video instructions on the unused micro USB to micro USB cord that was included with the drone.
=> make sure diode band is pointing in the direction of the phone !!

Worked 100% - now the remote control no longer charges my Samsung S9 when they are connected.

cord 2.jpg
2021-11-21
Use props
Coolbar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12444 ft
United Kingdom

Make sure your phone is 100% charged, you will get 3 batteries of the drone before the controller runs out. You will have 90 minutes of flying time.
2022-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules